• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
So absolutely no reason to buy an Xbox.
Microsoft's goal going forward is not to sell you an Xbox. It is to make you a Gamepass/Live/xCloud subscriber. Expensive hardware is an obstacle to that goal.

Their strategy is to make their services available every place they can, just like Netfix is. The actual Xbox hardware is going to be an option for hardcore enthusiasts that want the best gaming experience, the bulk of their user base will likely come from streaming to other platforms. That's the intention.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
If Nintendo gives Xbox a game in return, I would expect it to be a remake or remaster of some beloved old game of theirs like Link's Awakening or Metroid Prime Trilogy, not a brand-new exclusive. Anything else would be too much.

Maybe that would explain why the annoucement of MPT has been delayed for so long. Who knows ?

Microsoft E3 2019 is gonna be nuts

Tell me about it. They already won E3 before it even started.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's goal going forward is not to sell you an Xbox. It is to make you a Gamepass/Live/xCloud subscriber. Expensive hardware is an obstacle to that goal.

Their strategy is to make their services available every place they can, just like Netfix is. The actual Xbox hardware is going to be an option for hardcore enthusiasts that want the best gaming experience, the bulk of their user base will likely come from streaming to other platforms. That's the intention.
It's kind of interesting to me that Valve one uped Microsoft in bringing easy access PC gaming to the masses, and now Microsoft may be one uping Valve in bringing digital services beyond the traditional computer space.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only games that have been reported as getting native ports are Ori and the Blind Forest and Cuphead. Everything else is streaming or completely up in the air (the 3 series mentioned in the title).

Thank you for this post because after all this Xbox/Nintendo news we've been getting, I was getting a little confused regarding what's getting natively ported and what's getting streamed.

I wonder how well the streaming is gonna work. I hope it's good cause this has MASSIVE potential.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NintendoBox is a WIN WIN situation for both. They aren't in direct competition so this partnership if true is going to make both so much more money while giving gamers even more and better options. Everyone wins.

A lot of Switch gamers are going to be a loyal part of the Xbox ecosystem and a lot of Xbox gamers are going to be getting Nintendo products.

I'm very excited to say the least. Together they are perfection. Maybe Xbox will help setting up the infrastructure for Nintendo Online? So much they can help eachother out.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018

I know, and I like it. Having access to Game Pass on the Switch is great. PS Now isn't available in most territories and from what I've seen it has a way to go.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If all of this doesn't somehow lead to that Goldeneye remaster finally seeing the light of day fuck everything

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
The two companies would absolutely complete each other. Nintendo exclusives and portable gaming paired with MS infrastructure & technology. It would be amazing for gamers worldwide.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
You know what would be super great? Nintendo having access to the 4K enhancement Xbox does to older games.

Now THAT would be awesome. Virtual Console 4k/1080p enhanced library.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It ends with a "just one more thing" being Breath of the Wild on Xbox One.
I made a quick mockup of this, would be sick if they brought BotW over to the Xbox so more people could play it.

PHMkd67.png

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
If people think steam sales was devaluing games just wait until Gamepass and streaming catches on. After people get used to getting piles of games for a fixed sub most are never gonna want to pay 60$ for a game again.
Sigh, there's potentially a very dark future ahead for the gaming industry for those of us who care about ownership and preserving games.
I agree with the second part of this post but think you are overstating the negatives of the first part.

Games will absolutely be devalued from $60 a pop, but that's not a bad thing. The overall AAA market is roughly 150-200 million users right now, all of which can only afford so many full priced games each year. While the cost of development won't change, streaming services like xCloud and Google's Project Stream have the potential to expand that customer base 10-fold, decreasing the price each game must sell at to turn a profit

Further, the competition between streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, has created a explosion in the amount of original content being generated. There's no reason to think the same won't happen between competitors for game streaming. This is likely to lead to a healthier industry where developers don't have to hit unrealistic sales numbers to stay open. There will be more room for experimentation as well since smaller games will be better buoyed by major hits.

The trade off of course is the loss of game ownership, but I expect traditional sales will still be around for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A Nintendo game on Xbox will help Nintendo a lot more than MS. Imagine the amount of Xbox gamers who dont have a Switch but always considered one and have nothing but love for them but dont want to get it because they havent played any of their games... A Switch game on Xbox might help a lot of Xbox gamers finally dipping into Nintendos future consoles. Not that I think itll happen.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
A Nintendo game on Xbox will help Nintendo a lot more than MS. Imagine the amount of Xbox gamers who dont have a Switch but always considered one and have nothing but love for them but dont want to get it because they havent played any of their games... A Switch game on Xbox might help a lot of Xbox gamers finally dipping into Nintendos future consoles. Not that I think itll happen.
That's really not the point of any of this. Nintendo wants to maintain control of their franchises and hardware. Microsoft's vision of the future is one where their platform can exist on other hardware, such as Nintendo.

If you see anything between the companies, it will likely be cross-platform stuff or some non-Nintendo IPs. The rights issues make a Goldeneye port unlikely, but games like that where there are opportunities for Xbox and Switch players to play together on an Xbox Live infrastructure are the best bets.

Jan 10, 2018

All Xbox users have a mobile device

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, just stop talking and turn on your brains for at least one second. Xbox is out, stop thinking of it as hardware. Xbox is now a platform service. There will be no Nintendo games on Xbox, they don't need it on their hardware, they won't be asking for it on their hardware. That is not where Microsoft is going at all.

If you're even reading into this that Nintendo will put their stuff on their system you have missed the entire point of Microsoft's plan as a service.

Microsoft is transitioning to services, not Nintendo.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Why are we assuming that Game Pass on Switch would be identical to Xbox?

Example: Halo: Infinite launches day and date on Xbox Game Pass, but 6 months or a year later on non-Xbox or PC. So you let them play Halo: MCC to hook 'em but if you wanna jump in on the new hotness, you need the hardware or Windows?

There's no reason the apps would have to work identically. The console and PC ones don't.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Xbox is going to become to Gamepass what Surface is to Windows: flagship hardware, but the primary focus is getting those services available on all kinds of hardware.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, just stop talking and turn on your brains for at least one second. Xbox is out, stop thinking of it as hardware. Xbox is now a platform service. There will be no Nintendo games on Xbox, they don't need it on their hardware, they won't be asking for it on their hardware. That is not where Microsoft is going at all.

If you're even reading into this that Nintendo will put their stuff on their system you have missed the entire point of Microsoft's plan as a service.

I do wonder if there is a point in the future where streaming is the primary method of delivering video games and Nintendo transitions to becoming more of a games publisher than a hardware maker since it lacks the infrastructure to build its own streaming service. But yes, that's not really what this Microsoft news is about at all.

Kissenkopf

Nov 1, 2017
Mein Land!
Since the first rumors surfaced I do wonder if we get offical news about all of this soon, like E3, or later like winter 2019/2020 or even beyond that.
It just seems like Nintendo and MS are talking about these ideas but that doesnt mean it will really happen.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

Yes that would make sense for Nintendo to have games on Xbox though Gamepass and X Cloud.

Didn't you pay attention to the last quartely numbers ? Yes the Switch sold more consoles than Sony last quarter, but Sony made more money. Why ? Because of PSN. The big chunk of the money in videogames is not made anymore by selling hardware or even software, but with services like Subscriptions or micro transactions.

If Gamepass is available on hundreds of million of devices, that's an insane amount of potential money for Nintendo.

Imagine if Nintendo and Microsoft do a 30/70 slipt on subscription revenue if Nintendo brings some games on Gamepass. Imagine there are 200 million Gamepass subscriptions in the World. At 10$/month, could you imagine the amount of money generated yearly ? That's 28.4 Billion in revenue ! Even with a 30% share, this would make nearly as much money Nintendo made in revenue in 2018 ( 9.95 billion ) !!! So yes, they will bring games on Gamepass.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yes that would make sense for Nintendo to have games on Xbox though Gamepass and X Cloud.

Didn't you pay attention to the last quartely numbers ? Yes the Switch sold more consoles than Sony last quarter, but Sony made more money. Why ? Because of PSN. The big chunk of the money in videogames is not made anymore by selling hardware or even software, but with services like Subscriptions or micro transactions.

If Gamepass is available on hundreds of million of devices, that's an insane amount of potential money for Nintendo.

Imagine if Nintendo and Microsoft do a 30/70 slipt on subscription revenue if Nintendo brings some games on Gamepass. Imagine there are 200 million Gamepass subscriptions in the World. At 10$/month, could you imagine the amount of money generated yearly ? That's 28.4 Billion in revenue ! Even with a 30% share, this would make nearly as much money Nintendo made in revenue in 2018 ( 9.95 billion ) !!! So yes, they will bring games on Gamepass.

They aren't getting a 30% piece of all GamePass revenue just for allowing the service on their platform.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
They aren't getting a 30% piece of all GamePass revenue just for allowing the service on their platform.

We don't know the potential split. It's just an example. But if Microsoft sees they can double or triple the potential subscriptions of Gamepass/X Cloud by just adding Nintendo games, they'll have no problem giving that much. Just do the math.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No. They. Will. Not.

It is not in Nintendo's interests, it is not in their goals. If they do this, they remove the reason for anyone to own a Switch or even pay for their own service which removes much of their revenue. Nintendo is still very much in the hardware business while Microsoft is TRANSITIONING OUT OF THE BUSINESS.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That doesn't make sense, it would go against Nintendo's business model which is to get royalties from any purchase made on their platform.
If you can buy their flagship elsewhere than on their system, it becomes less interesting to engage with Nintendo platform and thus less likely for Nintendo to get royalty fees.
Don't expect that to happen.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft is anticipating that the war for X-as-a-service, where all the money will go soon in the future, is coming to gaming. Microsoft is already #1 in non-gaming. Nintendo doesn't have the infrastructure for offering VGaaS internationally and doesn't have the money to build it. Microsoft will bring its infrastructure to Nintendo, which, in return, will provide market share.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know the potential split. It's just an example. But if Microsoft sees they can double or triple the potential subscriptions of Gamepass/X Cloud by just adding Nintendo games, they'll have no problem giving that much. Just do the math.

It would be an insane example. I'm not sure Micrsoft has to give up anything. What Nintendo stands to gain is content and software to drive sales. Think about the example you gave, of there are 200 million GamePass subscribers at some point in the future, how many of those are on Switch? And for that you think MS would give up 30% (or anywhere near that number) of their entire business? If anything you might see Nintendo get a small cut on Switch users.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If this rumor is true, I will eat a ghost pepper covered in hot sauce. This is all just too bonkers to be true even if it would be the coolest fucking thing.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is anticipating that the war for X-as-a-service, where all the money will go soon in the future, is coming to gaming. Microsoft is already #1 in non-gaming. Nintendo doesn't have the infrastructure for offering VGaaS internationally and doesn't have the money to build it. Microsoft will bring its infrastructure to Nintendo, which, in return, will provide market share.

I think Nintendo still has to be getting a cut of actual cash/revenue here. If not I think Nintendo would also just allow Nvidia's streaming service and Steam link. Content is meaningless if you can't make money off it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be an insane example. I'm not sure Micrsoft has to give up anything. What Nintendo stands to gain is content and software to drive sales. Think about the example you gave, of there are 200 million GamePass subscribers at some point in the future, how many of those are on Switch? And for that you think MS would give up 30% (or anywhere near that number) of their entire business? If anything you might see Nintendo get a small cut on Switch users.

Content really isn't enough though, and if they want just that, I'm sure they could already have Nvidia's service on the Switch, a Steam app, etc. etc.

Don't underestimate Microsoft's penchant for throwing a lot of money at problems too.

Matt already posted that Nintendo is getting a lot of $$$ from this deal too.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I don't think we are ready for this next generation guys, it's going to be crazy. Can't wait.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
No. They. Will. Not.

It is not in Nintendo's interests, it is not in their goals. If they do this, they remove the reason for anyone to own a Switch or even pay for their own service which removes much of their revenue. Nintendo is still very much in the hardware business while Microsoft is TRANSITIONING OUT OF THE BUSINESS.

That's not what Nintendo said... Furukawa said earlier this year that they could be out of the hardware business at some point. Maybe that Microsoft - Nintendo partnership is a first indication of what's coming in the future.

Source : https://www.google.es/amp/s/variety...esident-home-console-comments-1203101334/amp/