• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what Nintendo said... Furukawa said earlier this year that they could be out of the hardware business at some point. Maybe that Microsoft - Nintendo partnership is a first indication of what's coming in the future.

Source : https://www.google.es/amp/s/variety...esident-home-console-comments-1203101334/amp/

If streaming takes off, it's finitio for hardware for basically everyone (buh bye Playstation too). Nintendo has to consider that as a possible *potential* future.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the one game they were talking about is not Scalebound.

It is...

GOLDENEYE 007 Remake with online crossplay between Xbox and Switch.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what Nintendo said... Furukawa said earlier this year that they could be out of the hardware business at some point. Maybe that Microsoft - Nintendo partnership is a first indication of what's coming in the future.

Source : https://www.google.es/amp/s/variety...esident-home-console-comments-1203101334/amp/
Iwata said this too. It's said often by Nintendo. It means nothing. It's always in the context of "we weren't always a video game company" and how they evolve. None of this means anything is happening right this instant.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Yes that would make sense for Nintendo to have games on Xbox though Gamepass and X Cloud.

Didn't you pay attention to the last quartely numbers ? Yes the Switch sold more consoles than Sony last quarter, but Sony made more money. Why ? Because of PSN. The big chunk of the money in videogames is not made anymore by selling hardware or even software, but with services like Subscriptions or micro transactions.

If Gamepass is available on hundreds of million of devices, that's an insane amount of potential money for Nintendo.

Imagine if Nintendo and Microsoft do a 30/70 slipt on subscription revenue if Nintendo brings some games on Gamepass. Imagine there are 200 million Gamepass subscriptions in the World. At 10$/month, could you imagine the amount of money generated yearly ? That's 28.4 Billion in revenue ! Even with a 30% share, this would make nearly as much money Nintendo made in revenue in 2018 ( 9.95 billion ) !!! So yes, they will bring games on Gamepass.

Nah... There's probably a split for Gamepass on Switch but even if Nintendo games appeared on other devices, it doesn't mean Nintendo is getting the same kind of cut. At that point, they are putting their games on other platforms just like other third parties hence whatever they put on Gamepass would need to be heavily monetised with microtransactions to make money.

Nintendo aren't going to suddenly make as much money as PSN just by having Nintendo games available on Gamepass.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
That would be a trip but I'm still skeptical. Taking a wait and see approach with this one. MS and Nintendo getting cozy and buliding up to something amazing would just be too crazy lol

Exciting times ahead if they do though! And in that case Sony better be working on some serious shit on the sly for next gen

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
If streaming takes off, it's finitio for hardware for basically everyone (buh bye Playstation too). Nintendo has to consider that as a possible *potential* future.

Exactly ! Nintendo have been around 100 years. If they know 1 thing, it's to adapt. Gaming is moving into Subscription. That's just a fact.

PSN - alone - made more money, 12.5 billion $, than what Microsoft and Nintendo did respectively in revenue in 2018. That stat alone makes you rethink your strategy...

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Halo, Gears, or Forza coming to Switch? I don't buy that.
I just don't feel MS is willing to straight up give a full port of their flagship franchises.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

Cloud streaming will take off because of the competition going for it now, but it's not going to make hardware obsolete.

Cloud streaming still has limitations compared to music/video streaming.

Exactly ! Nintendo have been around 100 years. If they know 1 thing, it's to adapt. Gaming is moving into Subscription. That's just a fact.

PSN - alone - made more money, 12.5 billion $, than what Microsoft and Nintendo did respectively in revenue in 2018. That stat alone makes you rethink your strategy...

What you quoted was talking about Streaming though. Subscription ≠ Streaming.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Why do people think Nintendo games are going on Xbox?

No idea, never going to happen

Exclusives are vital to the Switch's success.

Not so much Xbox, they can get by without exclusives, Nintendo can't and the idea of having a Switch game sell on Xbox and have to give a cut to Microsoft is not one they'd be too receptive of

There's mutual benefit for having Game Pass and xCloud on Switch because it benefits Microsoft's business model of putting their software and services on every device

That's not Nintendo's business model, it's simply to have content to sell their device

Another way I look at it, if the Xbox sold 0, Microsoft would still be OK because of xCloud and Game Pass, and the fact that they have games on PC

If the Switch sold 0, Nintendo would be done

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Cloud streaming will take off because of the competition going for it now, but it's not going to make hardware obsolete.

Cloud streaming still has limitations compared to music/video streaming.

What you quoted was talking about Streaming though. Subscription ≠ Streaming.

Yes you need to "subscribe" to a Streaming service. That's where you make the money. Think Netflix.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The desire for simple set top boxes will always be a thing. The MS rumor of two SKU, yeah, the entry level one with no disc drive, that will be the kind to live on far into the future as a simple, easy, cheap, and easy way to download a Game Pass game to play it natively, while mobile devices like phones, tablets and the Switch have hardware limitations and will be strictly streaming games from Game Pass. Those who have high end PCs of course won't need that optional device to play games natively but it will be there for anyone and it won't be MS's focus even if this option is available.

It will be the same with the others and whatever services they go with as latency will always be a very big issue, especially for the foreseeable future.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Yes you need to "subscribe" to a Streaming service. That's where you make the money. Think Netflix.

He was talking about Streaming, you were talking about Subscriptions.

Not all subscription services have streaming involved like what is literally PSN and Gamepass right now that's making "lots of money" as you pointed out.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
All these MIcrosoft x Nintendo rumors are the strangest rumors I've heard in a long while.

Why would microsoft let some of their most valuable exlusive IP's be played on a different console, giving buyers and excuse to not buy their own console. People could easily say: "Oh neat, now I can play some of the Xbox exclusives on a Nintendo console".

The whole point of exclusive games is to provide customers with a REASON to buy your own product.

All of this doens't make any sense, yet the whole forum is full of threads about it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people so excited? It's only streaming, isn't it? It's only natural that MS wants that on as many platforms as possible. They probably also want that on Sony and Apple hardware.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The whole point of exclusive games is to provide customers with a REASON to buy your own product.
I know right, it makes no sens-

Xbox-Play-Anywhere.jpg

...Yeah, but that's on WINDOWS PC's, they're still a Microsoft product, I don't understand why people think Microsoft would let Nintendo players play their games Nintendo's own cons-

D0BPDXgX0AAVCiR.jpg

Oh...

X85u11g.png

OGuO7Ty.png

CefLfkJ.png

3Ozrk62.png

Yx7Ckrx.png

Really gets the noggin joggin as to why they'd do this.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All these MIcrosoft x Nintendo rumors are the strangest rumors I've heard in a long while.

Why would microsoft let some of their most valuable exlusive IP's be played on a different console, giving buyers and excuse to not buy their own console. People could easily say: "Oh neat, now I can play some of the Xbox exclusives on a Nintendo console".

All of this doens't make any sense, yet the whole forum is full of threads about it.
Because Microsoft hasn't stopped talking about their plan to become platform agnostic for a very long while now.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ncer-xbox-game-pass-will-come-to-every-device

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all realise that Nintendo is conceding access to their userbase and not availability of their own software right?

The Switch will have outsold the XBO by the end of this year and has access to demographics that Xbox doesn't. It's the dominant console in Japan.

I'm sure that theoretically that MS is positioning themselves as the key streaming provider for Nintendo so that if Nintendo does ever want to/need to transition to that model that it would make sense to collaborate rather than compete, but in the short term that's not an option.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

He was talking about Streaming, you were talking about Subscriptions.

Not all subscription services have streaming involved like what is literally PSN and Gamepass right now that's making lots of money as you pointed out.

I understand, that can be confusing indeed . Not all Subscriptions are Streaming services. But usually streaming services requires a subscription. But I insist on Subscription. That's where the money is because it's recurring revenue. A very good article here that was tweeted by Matt Piscatella today.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/columns/the-future-of-gaming-is-subscription-1203146012/

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand, that can be confusing indeed . Not all Subscriptions are Streaming services. But usually streaming services requires a subscription. But I insist on Subscription. That's where the money is because it's recurring revenue. A very good article here that was tweeted by Matt Piscatella today.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/columns/the-future-of-gaming-is-subscription-1203146012/
Well yeah, subscription services, regardless of how anyone feels about them, are evergreen revenue streams, and subscription services are not limited to Game Pass or EA Access. Why do you think NSO exists? or that PSN switched to paid subscription to begin with. XBL Gold made the big bucks when they were the only ones charging for online in the 360 era.

NSO existing is also what made Nintendo's digital revenue jump up in their last quarterly too.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass means it'll be downloaded to play?
X cloud means it's streamed like PS Now?

I have no desire to stream.
Game Pass is downloading games, but the way MS talks about xCloud is that it will also be part of that service. Switch has hardware limitations so the ability to download most games is simply out of the question. However, the other part of the rumor is stuff like Ori being ported to the Switch, so to me that sounds like games that can run on Switch hardware will get ports.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Game Pass is downloading games, but the way MS talks about xCloud is that it will also be part of that service. Switch has hardware limitations so the ability to download most games is simply out of the question. However, the other part of the rumor is stuff like Ori being ported to the Switch, so to me that sounds like games that can run on Switch hardware will get ports.
Thanks for the clarification.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
This would be such an amazingly smart move for both companies AND it's consumer friendly. It really is a win win if done right. It's not like XBO has a lot of legs left to sell, especially not compared to switch, and Microsoft has a lot to gain by selling their suite of products on a platform that likely has minimal useebase cross over compared to the PlayStation. They get to sell all their games again, Nintendo gets more users, and MS can always just have the next iterations of their popular titles exclusive to nextbox for whenever or ifever that is. Plus they get to stick it to Sony. I really hope this happens. Just would be curious how they port controls for games that utilize analog triggers.

Streaming is the future though. No doubt. Will be interesting to see what Google has to show soon especially since it's hot on the tails of them testing all their streaming tech. Wouldn't be surprised if it was part of a new Google Chromecast device or something.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

As everyone said, Nintendo has always said this, Sony said the same thing saying that PlayStation will eventually become a service and not hardware.

Also, found this on google. The mockups are already happening.

halo_master_chief_collection_on_nintendo_switch_by_dr_scaphandre_dca3vpw-pre.png

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I welcome this. The Xbox One X will be my last Xbox console at this rate. I'll be Switch 2 + PS5 + PC going forward.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Does this mean we'll see Mario/Metroid/Zelda on Xbox? I mean, Nintendo has to give something back to Microsoft in return for allowing Microsoft's games on Switch... right?

Would love if Metroid Prime 4 was an Xbox exclusive rather than a Switch one.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Does this mean we'll see Mario/Metroid/Zelda on Xbox? I mean, Nintendo has to give something back to Microsoft in return for allowing Microsoft's games on Switch... right?

I think so.

Nintendo are still going to sell millions of hardware even if thier games are on Xbox.

The two brands just aren't in competition

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

Microsoft business model is a service now, they don't care if you play Halo on Xbox or Nintendo Switch, as long as you are using their service they are happy.

Nintendo putting games on Xbox doesn't make any sense because it would hurt their business, their business plan isn't the same as Microsoft's.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo isn't just allowing Microsoft's games on their platform, they are allowing MS's service on their platform, just as they do for Hulu. That doesn't mean this is some kind of IP/game exchange program. Each company has different interests/goals for this kind of partnership.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
So many posts by people saying Nintendo will have to send some games Microsoft's way. These people seem to fundamentally misunderstand what Microsoft is in this for and the direction they are pivoting towards.

Nintendo might throw them a port to consumate the union but I wouldn't bank on it. It's not the keikaku.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I could see their streaming game service on Switch. Satya Nadella has already said his vision is to have every product of theirs available on all platforms. Microsoft dont care about exclusive hardware anymore especially under him. This is the right path.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft gets access to 30 million Switch users worldwide (I think) as potential costumers.

I mean, I could see Nintendo doing colaborations with Microsoft studios and releasing the resulting games in both platforms, but I don't think this means we'll see Mario on Xbox. But hey, I could be wrong.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people so excited? It's only streaming, isn't it? It's only natural that MS wants that on as many platforms as possible. They probably also want that on Sony and Apple hardware.
The original rumor is that MS will be porting some games to Switch alongside Xcloud support. I doubt MS wants Xcloud on PS4 since they are a direct competitor.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The original rumor is that MS will be porting some games to Switch, not just doing streaming. I doubt MS wants Xcloud on PS4 since they are a direct competitor.

I think, long term, MS would probably be fine putting GamePass and xCloud on Playstation. They want the broadest base of consumers possible. They aren't in it just to sell hardware boxes. The xbox, as a hardware, is just a means to an end now.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Nintendo will do what they always do - and XBox users probably get nothing out of this.
MS gets an app and service on Switch, and more visibility for their platform. Simple, and clean

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think, long term, MS would probably be fine putting GamePass and xCloud on Playstation. They want the broadest base of consumers possible. They aren't in it just to sell hardware boxes. The xbox, as a hardware, is just a means to an end now.

If this service actually works well ... it's going to eventually be a problem for Sony and Nintendo's physical hardware models too.

I think part of it is Nintendo may be acknowledging this could be the future and getting in with MS now may be better than having to make a decision later in a worse position.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
why is this partnership even happening??? yeah someone can come in here and shout "for the gamers, it should happen - wtf so sick of the gaming exclusivity so glad it's happening stfu orbit". but business wise, huh?

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
why is this partnership even happening??? yeah someone can come in here and shout "for the gamers, it should happen - wtf so sick of the gaming exclusivity so glad it's happening stfu orbit". but business wise, huh?

Have you actually read the thread? The reasons and benefits to both Microsoft and Nintendo have been spelled out several times, and it's much more than some simplistic "for the gamers" thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

MS is moving to being a service provider, think Netflix of games. They want their Service on every and all devices. Gamepass going to the Switch opens up a huge customer base for MS.

Nintendo will also likely win as well, as they likely will get a cut of the gamepass sub, and get more people to sign up for NSO.

Also those that want portable gamepass might buy new switches.

It seems like a win/win for both companies

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
If this is true, and you are running Sony, what is your next move?
I mean, if I'm Sony I don't make any rash move. I continue to invest in making PS5 the console to be at. Great system, affordable price ranges, lots of game support. They just can't afford to take the foot off the pedal is all.