• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
RPGCodex users claims Larian is working on Baldur's Gate 3:

New colleague of mine is a former Larian employee. He says Swen acquired the Baldur's Gate license. No further information on when they're going to use it and for what, but they have it.

and also Brian Fargo, from IniXile knows who's working on Baldur's Gate 3.

Mod Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Hnnnnnnnnggg

Playing Div1 now and it is phenomenal. Apparently 2 is even better.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
That would be huge if true. Larian and Baldurs Gate seems like a match made in heaven.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The franchise couldn't be in better hands. Larian are at the very top of the RPG game right now.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit. That's an amazing news.
BG2 is my GOAT and although I love divinity 2, I much prefer the D&D world.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
BG is my favorite gaming series, and I don't feel like I need a BG3. ToB was an amazing conclusion.
Also, while I liked both D:OS enough, the tone is so very different than the BG games... So while I'll be interested in seeing Larian tackle a story that takes itself a little more seriously in tone, I hope they won't go the other way around an just stick to the tone of the Divinity games.

EDIT: If this is turning out turn-based I'm out.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The franchise couldn't be in better hands. Larian are at the very top of the RPG game right now.
Yup yup yup.

So awful writing and turn based? Sounds like a terrible mix tbh.
giphy.gif

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why Larian would need Baldur's Gate, their Divinity games are already more interesting RPG experiences, and especially with OS 2 they have really begun fleshing out the setting.
Larian talked about expanding and working on multiple games, I hope they don't postpone a sequel for Original Sin 2 for this, but make it a sort of spin-off title instead, something a second team is working on.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird it's not Obsidian after amazing Pillars 2. But Larian also can deliver, I believe.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they won't make it real time with pause but turn-based like Original Sin and more importantly, Temple of Elemental Evil. DnD was never made for realtime and plays much better turn based.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I mean the originals aren't anything special in the writing department
Nuh, they had some great moments. It was obviously very much a product of its genre, but many of the stories had a lot of heart. For me, It was the perfect blend of not taking itself too seriously but still giving you meaningful stories.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's just an entirely new epic adventure in Forgotten Realms with D&D rule instead of a needless continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
come on turned based combat, come on turned based combat... idc what edition it is either. just enough with this real time with pause, please!

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure how to take this, if true.
I mean... I'm probably one of the fiercest Stans for the Baldur's Gate saga in existence and I'd love a quality sequel... But I don't want real-time with pause from Larian. D:
I'd prefer for them to keep refining their turn-based battle system in new settings, honestly.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Weird that they would work on a licensed game when they had great success with their own IP but hey, not gonna turn down BG3 by a great RPG studio.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yea! Now when will we get a new Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance game? This is of utmost importance. Just get it done. I'll be waiting....

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dunno how I feel about that, if any studio could do the series justice it would be them. But I think I'd perfered if Baldur's Gate was just left alone.

vkbest

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Im not sure if this is good news for me. I only use my old Mac for working, so I only play with consoles, im not sure if Larian would port this to consoles, even their current games (divinity) who have good controls for gamepad got later ports.

Besides, Divinity 2 on PS4 pro is totally shitty because tearing.

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Holy shit. That'd be amazing.

They still had the D&D ruleset running in the background, though. It was more the illusion of real-time combat than proper real-time combat.

Hence 'real time with pause', not 'real time'. It's my preference in RPG's, which is why I was so glad to see Obsidian bring it back with Pillars.