• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A source with a decent track record has heard rumblings of Halo 6 having Lootboxes/Micro-transactions though it sounds like they are being catuous after recent scandals in the industry.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/7rslu5/next_version_of_halo_will_have_loot_boxes/

https://soundcloud.com/thesamsreport/xbox-elites-andhalo-boxes

Myself I would prefer micro-transactions to be out, but I will admit Halo 5's implementation of micro-transactions/lootboxes is one of the least intrusive in the industry currently but it could have been better aswell.

EDIT: Thank you for the correction!

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Um, Halo 5 has "loot boxes" as well, right? I would expect the same from Halo 6. IMO I don't think they had a detrimental effect on the game, but I of course wouldn't be surprised if they are being retooled for Halo 6.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
REQ Packs were pretty user friendly/unobtrusive considering you could gift/trade REQ Items to friends iirc.

Still, a very good move for MS/343 to avoid the fumbles EA made with Battlefront

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't it? The previous game did and IIRC they said it was by far their largest post launch revenue of any game.

Edit:

It says re-evaluate how they are implemented, not if they are implemented, unless I'm missing something.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
It will still have lootboxes. Just have to tone down the greed a bit so it's not so bloodsucking.

StoneSarge89

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they don't mess with the current system, I'm all for it.
I played it like mad in it's first 2 years and got to unlock everything almost at the same time as my clan unlocked the Achilles. Never felt I needed to open the wallet.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Halo 5 had a really good system and you earned points quick enough if you played to buy them with those and not feel forced to spend real money to get things.

You're delusional if anyone thought Halo 6 wouldn't have some sort of loot box system for unlocks, just gotta hope they are more like the Halo 5 system and not like the EA system.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I fucking despised the REQ system in 5, to be honest. Buncha irritating busywork that took all the fun out of unlocking new armour bits...

It didn't help that I really, really disliked Warzone, as well - particularly as it all but replaced my favourite mode, BTB (which wasn't even in the game at launch) - and so had to spend bloody ages melting useless power ups, vehicles and guns...

Anyway, any reduction in the prominence of lootboxes in 6 would be absolutely fantastic, but I'm really not holding my breath, particularly with the way people seem willing to sing REQ's praises as is.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They could just do what they currently do and they'll be fine. But money is what they want so let's change it!

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
It will still have lootboxes. Just have to tone down the greed a bit so it's not so bloodsucking.

It's not that bad, though?

Weapon REQs are limited only to Warzone, and only crazy people play that mode. Everyone sane sticks to Arena, where the only useful things that REQs give you are skins and XP boosts.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, as long as the dlc is free and the loot boxes are purely cosmetic, I'm fine. But that's my hard line after the Battlefront 2 stuff. Any gameplay altering stuff found in a lootbox makes the game an instant no buy

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hopefully they're just similar to Halo 5 again. Customizations and stuff for Warzone. Warzone was a pretty throwaway mode since I just sold my weapons to get more req points to buy more packs for armor. So don't mind them doing more of that's again.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Halo 5 but as long as you make a lootbox system where people feel like they are getting value if they pay money and can still get enough content if they don't then it should be fine.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking despised the REQ system in 5, to be honest. Buncha irritating busywork that took all the fun out of unlocking new armour bits...

It didn't help that I really, really disliked Warzone, as well - particularly as it all but replaced my favourite mode, BTB (which wasn't even in the game at launch - and so had to spend bloody ages melting useless power ups, vehicles and guns...

Anyway, any reduction in the prominence of lootboxes in 6 would be absolutely fantastic, but I'm really not holding my breath.
Armour and customization was my biggest gripe with it. There should be armour and emblem unlocks similar to Halo 3 and Reach on top of the REQ system which would focus on the Warzone aspect.

DynamiteCop!

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
If it's like the REQ system in Halo 5 I see no problem with it, it was a very balanced system that worked and wasn't really intrusive. It also paved the way for free DLC and maps from those that did buy from the store so it helped.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, as long as the dlc is free and the loot boxes are purely cosmetic, I'm fine. But that's my hard line after the Battlefront 2 stuff. Any gameplay altering stuff found in a lootbox makes the game an instant no buy
If it affects gameplay it's probably only going to be Warzone again. Cosmetic items only for Arena/BTB modes.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If they do, I REALLY hope its exactly like Halo 5. REQ system was awesome. No dupes and you could sell your cards back at a decent price too, just make it easier to sell in bulk. (Please no crafting system)

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Armour and customization was my biggest gripe with it. There should be armour and emblem unlocks similar to Halo 3 and Reach on top of the REQ system which would focus on the Warzone aspect.

If they made it so I could actually, genuinely outright ignore the REQ system if I didn't play Warzone - so, remove the cosmetic armour bits and all the other stuff that's relevant in Arena - and started actually giving a shit about supporting BTB again, I'd be okay with it. There's no way either of those things are happening, though.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the req packs that much, but it was good to limit them to just one game mode. The classic Halo gameplay remained unaffected.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt expected anything else. As it was well done in Halo 5,
But its good if true that they are double checking

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Microsoft can't afford to screw up their big first party games right now. Maybe by launch their position is different but for now, they need every game to be a success.

So making sure they don't face any potential scrutiny is sound thinking.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
If the BF2 situation genuinely has them spooked they must have been pretty bad. Your lootbox implementation has to be almost comically terrible to receive blowback beyond Reddit/forums.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they made it so I could actually, genuinely outright ignore the REQ system if I didn't play Warzone - so, remove the cosmetic armour bits and all the other stuff that's relevant in Arena - and started actually giving a shit about supporting BTB again, I'd be okay with it. There's no way either of those things are happening, though.
BTB was confirmed awhile ago to be a focus for Halo 6. So it should be ready at launch I assume.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
All we can do is cross our fingers and hope that they improve on what was done for Halo 5 so that it can make people happy.

Still though, this was after Battlefront 2 crash and burned? Correct me if I'm wrong, but they weren't planning on any "game enhancing" lootboxing, were they? Not to mention that Halo never needed it anyway, so the cosmetics would make sense if that is the angle they're going for.

Also OP, if you ever need to make a correction on your thread title, use the "report post" button on the top right and send them a message so that they can fix it up for you. ^__^

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Almost every game has this shitty lootboxes nowadays... and MS has put them in all their franchises so far now... i wouldnt even be shocked if Forza Horizon 4 will have MTs

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
If they do, I REALLY hope its exactly like Halo 5. REQ system was awesome. No dupes and you could sell your cards back at a decent price too, just make it easier to sell in bulk. (Please no crafting system)

It'll almost certainly be worse - they'll see how far you can push the money button until it breaks. That's probably why Battlefront 2 is being used as guide of what not to do, so they can see the ways in which the game can further be monetised.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the BF2 situation genuinely has them spooked they must have been pretty bad. Your lootbox implementation has to be almost comically terrible to receive blowback beyond Reddit/forums.
Realistically all developers/publishers are spooked now as government is now involved.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Would not surprise me one bit if Microsoft kept lootboxes and MTX in their games.

Battlefront 2 and CODWII sold a crap ton of copies.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 had them and were both successful and pretty user friendly for how "useless" they were and how easy it was to get gold packs.

If they do that again in 6 im all for it if it means free content down the road like 5, that game still got updates well into last year.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Have all the loot boxes you want, just give me a game that is as feature complete as Halo 3 or Reach was at launch, has full custom game support, and bring back real Firefight.

Halo 5 has a lot going on now but it was a shockingly bare bones package at launch.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
BTB was confirmed awhile ago to be a focus for Halo 6. So it should be ready at launch I assume.

Huh, really? Honestly, I was so disappointed in 5 - I didn't really like 4 either, but at least the campaign (the main draw for me in Halo) was okay; 5's is the only Halo campaign I've only played through once, I hated it that much - that I kind of stopped following Halo news.

Well, if they're bringing back BTB - properly - that's something, at least. If all the progression's still locked up in that RNG hell, though... I dunno. I'm also really not convinced that they learned the right lessons on what to do with the campaign, going by what little I have heard about their reaction to the feedback they got. (A relative dearth of Master Chief, and the loss of split screen, were not, at least for me, anywhere close to the biggest issues with 5's campaign.)

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
halo5reqpack.jpg

ctrl c
ctrl v

thank you

* but allow for me to purchase individual cosmetics (even at a huge mark up idc)*

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have all the loot boxes you want, just give me a game that is as feature complete as Halo 3 or Reach was at launch, has full custom game support, and bring back real Firefight.

Halo 5 has a lot going on now but it was a shockingly bare bones package at launch.
Yeah Halo 5 at launch was boring, hopefully Halo 6 not coming out this year means it's rich in content at launch.

Uhm they were game affecting... Warzone used this weapon variants that all behaved different... same shit with Halo Wars 2 and that glorious Blitzmode lol
I think he means outside of Warzone which means he is correct.

Oct 27, 2017
I personally hated the Req pack system. It was annoying. I wish I never had to look at it. I never played warzone so I had to sit there and sell item after item just to get credits to try and get new cosmetic upgrades. The whole system just bugged me and I hated trying to get new items. Didn't feel rewarding. Took away any excitement of trying to get new stuff.

If they need to keep it for financial reasons then they should definitely make two systems. Halo 5 bugged me so much I'm probably gonna wait a bit for 6 to see how it shakes out. Gameplay was great though.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Big Team Battle sucks y'all

Bungie hadn't made a good BTB map since Gulch (Timberland was a Gearbox map) and the sandbox over time grew progressively worse to sustain that gametype.
Don't fall for the hype

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Halo 5 at launch was boring, hopefully Halo 6 not coming out this year means it's rich in content at launch.

I think he means outside of Warzone which means he is correct.

Nah, they still 'affected' Arena in how they utterly sapped my will to keep playing any Halo 5 at all. 'Cosmetic' things can still very much affect the entire game, particularly when those cosmetic things comprise the entire progression system.

Status
Not open for further replies.