• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. It's kinda absurd how hard this forum starts pearl clutching as soon as the words MMO or GaaS are mentioned, without even knowing anything about the game or how it's implemented.
Or maybe the devs/publisher could give us some information about the game instead of dropping an non-saying CGI trailer?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
But Zhuge's post didn't contradict it was an mmo. He just said it wasn't an old style mmo. That probably means it's not a traditional sp game either way. Some people consider anything in an online populated open world to be an MMO.

I guess it could mean we will see other players around the game world but there are still the usual (side) quests with stories and you can do them on your own no problem. I don't feel the need for it at all, but ok.

I just hate it can't simply look forward to a goddamned game that is clearly still years away, anyway.

Fact is, I don't think they ever announced it as a SP game. Only Eurogamer said it though.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
MMO style combat, MMO style missions, old school MMO, MMORPG

lots of different ways to read this not to mention Zhuges comment

Some of you guys are reaching here for a game ways away

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously. It's kinda absurd how hard this forum starts pearl clutching as soon as the words MMO or GaaS are mentioned, without even knowing anything about the game or how it's implemented.
I dislike whenever I hear about another WOW expansion too, to be fair
would rather live in a fantasy world where they announce warcraft 4.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
True (damn it's been a long time since I've played them), but I'm thinking it will be more of a GaaS approach this time around since it will be a prime candidate for a game pass game and building the world around constantly evolving.

Shouldn't this thread be locked, or did I miss something?

Serious question. That guy's post with "MMO" in the list was made after the show was ending, and I haven't seen anything to say it's a traditional or leaning MMO in any way.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
You could co-op 2 & 3. MMO-Lite makes me think more like GaaS games, like Destiny or Sea of Thieves

I think the distinctions between an MMO, MMO-Lite, and merely a game with online functionality are:

- An MMO is a massively multiplayer online game, with the keywords being massively multiplayer.
- An MMO-lite has similarities to an MMO, but the actual instances of online gameplay are on a much smaller scale - while not necessarily required - is HEAVILY pushed from a gameplay perspective.
- A game with online functionality may have similarities to an MMO or MMO-lite, but for all intents and purposes, can be played both offline by yourself or online with people.

So you think Fable is going to be a game where online multiplayer play is heavily encouraged?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it could mean we will see other players around the game world but there are still the usual (side) quests with stories and you can do them on your own no problem. I don't feel the need for it at all, but ok.

I just hate it can't simply look forward to a goddamned game that is clearly still years away, anyway.

Fact is, I don't think they ever announced it as a SP game. Only Eurogamer said it though.
You should still look forward to it. Tons of people love games like SOT or Destiny that have players you play and interact with. Just because it might not be a traditional SP game doesn't mean it will be bad.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe the devs/publisher could give us some information about the game instead of dropping an non-saying CGI trailer?

Sure, i'd certainly like more information, but people losing their minds over a non-confirmed tweet is absurd, especially because "MMO" can mean anything these days, especially when we're talking about a translated tweet. Forza Horizon 4 lets you see the ghost of your friends and other people driving around, and you can then interact with those ghosts to invite them to an event or race or etc.

Fable 2 had ghosts of your friends visible in the world that you could then interact with to invite them to co-op. It might be something super similar. We have literally no idea what it means. So deciding "fuck this game, then!" off a single acronym is classic era overreaction and hot takes.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The definition of MMO is much more diluted today, some people call Sea of Thieves an MMO.
But let's wait (and wait a lot) to see what this game will be like, the fact that Zughe didn't shut down the rumor completely isn't a sign of relief to me, the game will probably have strong online elements even if it's not a ''true'' MMO.
^

Feel like people have been hyping this up as a meaty single player only RPG these past few years. Fable 2 and 3 had co-op but I wouldn't be surprised if they went down a more Sea of Thieves route for this one with the online. Shared world, all that sorta stuff. Calling it an "MMO" may be a bit of a stretch but I have a feeling they will hunker down more on the online for this one.

I don't think that's a bad thing at all as the game will have way more longevity that way. See it as a project to be worked on for multiple years than just a one and done. Not to mention that it'll be a good compliment to Game Passs. My interest has been piqued.

Last edited:

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Who debunked it? Zhuge and Transistor are just specifying what type of MMO it is. So people don't think it's WOW or something like that. It's probably more akin to Sea of Thieves.

Ahh sorry I never played them.
It's not like Sea of Thieves.

Fable was rebooted in response to Witcher 3 and Horizon: Zero Dawn. It was leaked through job listings. None of the listings hint at anything like SoT

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
No it's not, there is no reason to replay a single player game. Like I'm playing Ghosts now, I will never touch this game again once I beat it. I may even intentionally put it down and play the rest of it with the ps5 buffs.

Where a MP experience like sea of theives or a destiny always has something new and interesting to do.
We have to agree to disagree I have not found anything fun to do in SoT in hours of gameplay and I am not going to give destiny another chance.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Please don't. That is one of the few franchises that would get me to consider purchasing the X but not as a GaaS or MMO.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
talk to them sir

people really looking for some prestige over the shoulder cinematic adventure in fable...

a shared world sounds more interesting to me than just a pure single player experience. it'll also mean the game gets talked about for more than just a month. someone mentioned this ITT but if this game gets the same support as something like PoE then it could be a banger 💯
Well Fable 2 and 3 were co-op so it was always something they wanted in their game. Not sure how MMO this is gonna be but a shared world in a well made fable universe sounds great to me and I'm sure it would do very well.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I want the MMO part to stay as far away as possible from Fable.

Just fuck off. It's like Ms didnt learn anything from trying to force Gaas into Fable last time for fucks sake

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What? You're literally ignoring what I said to make some weird 'gotcha' point. Here's what I did say:

"has the multiplayer/GaaS elements of Forza"

Now I never played those two games but I doubt they have as much of a multiplayer focus as Forza; I know for sure they aren't GaaS in any way shape or form.
this thread is about fable being MMO, you are talking about gaas. 2 different things. Sea of Thieves is a gaas, FF14 is an MMO. I don't know where you get that gaas thing from. Fable 2 and 3 had multiplayer component while being single player games. I'm expecting the same for this game

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
No it's not, there is no reason to replay a single player game. Like I'm playing Ghosts now, I will never touch this game again once I beat it. I may even intentionally put it down and play the rest of it with the ps5 buffs.

Where a MP experience like sea of theives or a destiny always has something new and interesting to do.
This is a strange bit of commentary, especially for a game like Fable. The choice/consequences are the reason to replay.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Shouldn't this thread be locked, or did I miss something?

Serious question. That guy's post with "MMO" in the list was made after the show was ending, and I haven't seen anything to say it's a traditional or leaning MMO in any way.

We have an insider who was saying it was an MMO-lite before the conference even started

I think the distinctions between an MMO, MMO-Lite, and merely a game with online functionality are:

- An MMO is a massively multiplayer online game, with the keywords being massively multiplayer.
- An MMO-lite has similarities to an MMO, but the actual instances of online gameplay are on a much smaller scale - while not necessarily required - is HEAVILY pushed from a gameplay perspective.
- A game with online functionality may have similarities to an MMO or MMO-lite, but for all intents and purposes, can be played both offline by yourself or online with people.

So you think Fable is going to be a game where online multiplayer play is heavily encouraged?

It very well could be. I mean, they could be going the Sea of Thieves route. That's worked pretty well for them.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
How are people freaking out this much without knowing anything at all about the game?

This place really went to shit today, huh?

Jun 5, 2018
Warning the following comes from being let down massively with fable 3 seeing the franchise studio close and the ip sat on in any major way ever since, i don't want to be overly negative or hateful and up till now I've given them the benefit of the doubt but this rumour here puts one of the few games I was hyped about into a place I like to call
not for me currently overflowing with titles that where once in my hype section.

Let me make this clear, as a person who loved one and two and tolerated three if this is a mmo with no single player side to it and requires online and they don't reveal this information until the hype is at maximum I will be done with the franchise and all Microsoft gaming as a whole.

Fable 3 suffered because of Microsoft's interference (the dev time was far to short)
what sells well and makes more money and what I want to play are becoming more and more polar opposites, gaming is clearly not meant for me anymore if every franchise I love is going to become some mmo spinoff like battle royal thingy,

if your going to use a beloved franchise do it justice don't make some online only RPG lite game and expect it to go down well, swtor could of been kotor3 but instead we got a mmo, it isn't hard to make a decent single player game with the fable ip if your one of the gaming giants in the industry, the possibility that this could now not be what I've waited for over 10 years for is disappointing.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Destiny/Monster Hunter style co-op campaign and event missions would be my guess. Gotta keep the gamepass machine fed.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
I don't honestly think it will be an MMO, but it would be par for the coarse if it did end up being one. After all the last Fable game was a card game, before that a cancelled GAAS, a Kinect game, and a Xbox live Arcade game. This isn't hard to imagine happening.
Its true that the recent history of the Fable franchise has not given reason for hope, but I'll hold out hope until it achieves its final horrific form of Fable: Pachinko edtion!

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I'm think that the multiplayer component could comprise, as people have mentioned, some form of drop-in/drop-out cooperative questing (as found in the previous games.) Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Heroes Guild or Bowerstone serve as some sort of live hub where you can access live content. This would be in the vein of a competitive multiplayer suite, or quests built specifically for cooperative shared world experiences/quests/raids.

This would not be the end of the world. But my problem with the premise, is that these shared world experiences are always worse for gamers looking for singleplayer experiences than traditional singleplayer-only experiences.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
You should still look forward to it. Tons of people love games like SOT or Destiny that have players you play and interact with. Just because it might not be a traditional SP game doesn't mean it will be bad.

The problem is...both SoT and Destiny don't do anything for me. But I love Witcher 3 to death, TES, Fallout. And the idea of a new Fable by a brand new team excited me. I have played several MMOs and they just don't do it at all for me. I didn't care for the quests, for the stories of them, for the combat, etc. RPG is very much a solo thing for me.

We'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully we can get some clarity on this. FH4 is very fun solo, I can choose to see other players and race, but what would this mean for a RPG? Do I see other players and I can choose or choose not to go questing with them?

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Could maybe be good? Idk? I don't care for MMOs though and I wanted a new Fable in the style we knew, so I'd be disappointed if true.

Oct 28, 2017
Chill out people, for all ya'll know it has a destiny-like structure, or something similar to guild wars or The division. No reason to assume Playground is going to go Everquest on you all. Give that studio some credit.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
GamePass is a bad thing to me if it means more of Xbox's franchises become GaaS.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Good MMO-lites like Path of Exile, Warframe, MHW, Destiny 2... A new Fable could easily join these. Game Pass would make the deal even sweeter.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You dudes seriously think MS would toss out another attempt at a MP Fable game after they canned the Lionhead one?

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Just thinking does everyone in here hate dark souls mmo aspects? As that's what at most this will be like and similiar to forzas hop in hop out multiplayer the way fable has always been but maybe more rounded out