• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Delay it as long as they need, anything is better than putting voice chat on a friggen mobile app.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, pleeease be because they're adding the functionality to the Switch itself and not tying everything to an App.

Deleted member 62

Guess we won't hear more about it in the next Nintendo Direct.

Enforced

Oct 26, 2017
I expected them to start charging online service on March. Kinda happy they delay it means more free online play. They better give us theme by then. I need them!

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know it's not a delay. Nintendo said 2018. Like that twitter person said this just gives it a more precise time. Fall sounds good. Shows Nintendo is taking this serious.
I'm not sure I'd consider it "Nintendo taking it serious" by having their online system not at launch like other systems and it coming out over a year later.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, good. As barebones as it is, that's MUCH better than paying for their garbage online ideas. Hopefully this delay will be used towards rethinking their initial approach

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
That sounds like music to my ears.
I guess they will release it with a major online focused game?

Personally they should keep it free imo. The Switch is doing pretty well anyway and not every console needs paid online especially not a Nintendo one with their online history so far.

It would also be a great sellin point.
But WHAT if they can make more money?
It won't make Switch less popular after all ;)

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Make it as good as XBL and PSN Nintendo, take your time just do it right.

Incorporate voice chat into the system, 360 had it with 512mb of Ram.

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me think they'll have some big online game to launch beside it? Feels like a lot of big online stuff already came out this year (Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS) so given the current line up they have for next year, all I can think of is Smash. And maybe, maaaaaaaybe a multiplayer mode for Prime 4?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
If its a delay for everyone (it would be weird not to launch it world wide in this day and age) hopefully its because they see no one uses their stupid fucking app to communicate and are creating something more feature rich in the Switches OS.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Well, hope this doesn't push back virtual console as well. Assuming it's getting delayed everywhere.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At some point I think they just leave Switch online free for all and have the paid thing like old PS+ thats just subscription to old games.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is a point where you probably just shouldn't charge for it. The longer the delay, the longer the backlash at launch if it's all undercooked. The free online is a benefit I'm sure many would take over whatever features you have prepared for the subscription service.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But WHAT if they can make more money?
It won't make Switch less popular after all ;)
True just hopin they use the extra time to atleast improve vastly on the switch online service. A messaging system or a party chat system on the switch itself would be awesome. Also adding a better invite system for online multiplayer games would be neat too.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who don't care much for online functionality and just want classic games and maybe cloud saves this is a bummer if true. Hope it's worth it.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
What y'all think happened:
"OMG SECRET DELAY"

What actually happened:
Italian web translator changed "Autumn 2017" to "Autumn 2018" instead of "2018" like they were supposed to and here we are.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's delaated indefinitely cause I'm certainly not in a hurry to pay for online play.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Really strange, if true. Do they honestly think that if they wait that long to launch this paid service, there won't be major backlash from people that were conditioned to have a completely free online service for over a year and a half??? Also, what does this mean for the "Instant Game Collection" or whatever it was called? I'm doubtful at this point that we're getting a fully fledged VC like past systems, but I still want some kind of retro Nintendo goodness on my Switch. :(

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Pretty sure this is a big ole nothing news. But either way if t WERE delayed, then I'd be ok with it as it presumably means they realized whatever they had lined up wasn't cutting it.

Tho 2 years for a modern console to have an online infrastructure, holy shit haha. It's not like they just started looking into it at switch launch either.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time Im happy with a delay lol.

The current online infrastructure is shitty but at least is free.

Im not willing to pay for an online service with no messages, partys..

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
I probably won't use it. I never online gamed on my wii u.

It's probably going to be a mess but still have tons of subscribers.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good... want them to get this shit right, and not be another Wii-U situation where they are growing painsing through an HD networked console for the first time, but with an Online Sub Service.

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure this is a big ole nothing news. But either way if t WERE delayed, then I'd be ok with it as it presumably means they realized whatever they had lined up wasn't cutting it.

Tho 2 years for a modern console to have an online infrastructure, holy shit haha. It's not like they just started looking into it at switch launch either.
You know, you're not wrong, but I much prefer the route they took of having a bulletproof core console and getting the online out the door late than a half-assed online that the system OS relied on heavily. At least what you get for now works, and works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.