• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I suppose they're remodeling the service and abandoning the app, considering no game other than Splatoon uses it. I sure hope they do so.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I'm so glad they're probably not doing this

I can understand if you owned a Wii U. That said there were a lot of people in their mid 20s early 30s now who grew up with Nintendo but switched to PS/Xbox at some point for the online shooters like Halo, COD etc. I know a lot of friends who went from Nintendo to Sony/MS during the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U eras. Groups of people who haven't played a lot of the more recent 1st party titles. Nintendo has a large back catalogue they can repackage and sell to people who will be experiencing these for the first time.

In my mind it would make a lot of sense. You deliver a console and give folks a Mario Kart and Smash bros port today to wet their appetite for a proper new release later in the console's lifespan. For a lot of people Smash and Mario Kart are make or break for the console purchase. Give them something up front to tip them towards buying the console. Once they buy into your platform they will end up buying other titles as well.

Its not mutually exclusive thing...a Wii U port doesn't necessarily mean no proper Smash title later.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If true and for the entire world, it may as well stay free.

It seems harder to enforce this the older the system becomes and the more people get used to the free model.

Oct 26, 2017
I would imagine that usage data on the App is as abysmal as anyone with half a brain could've told them from the start. Maybe they wise up and implement a workable solution that works with the switch alone. (oh who am I kidding)

Oct 27, 2017
If true and for the entire world, it may as well stay free.

It seems harder to enforce this the older the system becomes and the more people get used to the free model.

Wasn't PSN free initially? As long as the paid service offers significant advantages over the free one, considering it'll only be $25-30 a year I don't think people will mind

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I hope this is true, the longer I can go without ever having to pay for playing online on a console the better.

Online works perfectly fine now and any VC service I can wait for, keep it free babeeeee.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I just want cloud saves Or at least save backup functionality that can be restored to different hardware (in case the current one broke/got stolen/lost). I hope that's not delayed to late 2018.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they don't have party invitations and chat built into the system, they should keep delaying it indefinitely as far as I'm concerned. Their online plans are an absolute mess.

Emka

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just that the person that was supposed to update the "fall 2017" to "2018" on the website forgot to erase the "fall" part.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Cancel it and I'll buy a Switch. Online paywall is one of the shittiest anticonsumer practice.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I can't imagine why they'd even bother at this point. The app needs to be rebuilt from the ground up to even start getting anyone interested in using it, and in the one game that it does support, the functionality is lacking at best.

They're better off just staying the course considering the longer we wait, the less likely existing games are going to get updated to work with the new online infrastructure.

Huh. Didn't paid online come late into the ps3's life? And that worked out fine

PS+ was never required for online play on PS3. It came later in the system's life with features like instant game library and even today isn't required.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't PSN free initially? As long as the paid service offers significant advantages over the free one, considering it'll only be $25-30 a year I don't think people will mind

Of course they would mind as now you will have to pay for something you had for free with a console. PSN was a little different as paid service came with PS4 day one.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ps plus only became paid multiplayer with PS4. PS3 had free online its entire life.
Oh that's right. But I think Sony was doing activation codes or something for some of their games to play online. I remember buying that horrible smash bros knock off used and couldn't play online unless buying an activation code.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Oh that's right. But I think Sony was doing activation codes or something for some of their games to play online. I remember buying that horrible smash bros knock off used and couldn't play online unless buying an activation code.
That was to mitigate used game sales, which a lot of publishers were trying at the time. New copies always included it, either in the case or as a digital entitlement from the PS store.

Oct 25, 2017
Ps plus only became paid multiplayer with PS4. PS3 had free online its entire life. PS plus was just a continuous sub for a rotating list of games and discounts.
That's the model Nintendo should go for imo. Basic online for free (what we have now) or pay a sub for all the bells and whistles.

I just want Nintendo to nail online. As is it's the only reason Switch isn't my certified go-to platform.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this rate they should just make it free if true.

Drop the 'free' classic library, sell those individually and keep the online multiplayer free.

I can't see lots of people investing in a service without any ways to communicate or send messages. (Excl. Mediocre Nintendo Online app.)

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
And what did those people who played online with PlayStation or Xbox do? Maybe they minded when online was no longer free but they did convert to paying online customers

But they knew what there getting into day one with a new console, Switch model will change after over a year. I imagine some people may get annoyed or even don't know that it is coming.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But they knew what there getting into day one with a new console, Switch model will change after over a year. I imagine some people may get annoyed or even don't know that it is coming.
Ehhh that would be their own fault then. Nintendo announced they were doing paid online, maybe before the switch even launched. And I'm sure Nintendo will do a marketing blitz well in advance.

No way they're keeping it free when they see what Microsoft and Sony are making from paid online.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that we're a three Switch household I'm kind of glad I don't have to pony up for three online subscriptions.
Technically it would still be cheaper than a year of Live or PS+ at $59.97, lol

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how Nintendo will eventually do the roll out because they will have millions of users that are used to free online for more then a year, and taking that away from them and go:" now pay for it" seems like a risky move. Sony managed it by linking it to a new console, wonder how Nintendo will do it.

Nov 3, 2017
The website has now been changed to remove the mention of Autumn. Like I suspected, this was simply a mistake and this news site jumped the gun.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
Good, if it means the service will gain the basic standards we expect for a paid online service. This is a potential huge money maker for them and if they screw up the launch by releasing a sub par service (which many expect) it could be really bad not only from a PR stand point but also from the loss of revenue they would of gained had they taken their time to create a service that their base is willing to pay for. The Discord team even offered to assist Nintendo with their online chat system, which i think is a great idea because of how oblivious Nintendo seems to be when it comes to online communication.

I Still think Virtual Console will launch early next year whether the online service is ready or not.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will be a big focus of their January Direct. They definitely need to convince people it's worth the money since Nintendo has the least amount of online features out of any console and it's always been free. It's so bizarre to me that I can play Splatoon 2 online for free one day and then the next I gotta pay for it. I honestly don't know what they could give us that would get people excited outside of being able to play every Virtual Console game which we all know won't happen.

Speaking of online, they really need to remodel the eShop. If a game is a week old it is cast in oblivion. Also FOLDERS PLEASE

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
That's a long delay (if assuming it starts from early 2018 initially). I wonder what value Nintendo is considering for the service and why it wasn't ready, if true.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm italian and Nintendo Italia did a mistake, there is no delay announced here as far as i know.

Basically back in january Nintendo said that the service would have started in "Autunno 2017" (Autumn 2017) then as we all know the service got delayed in 2018 but for whatever reason someone at Nintendo Italia modified just the year.

I'm surprised people noticed it now, it was there for months lol

PS: they fixed it (finally)

https://www.nintendo.it/Nintendo-Switch/Nintendo-Switch-Online/Nintendo-Switch-Online-1183143.html

Status
Not open for further replies.