• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, what features? As far as I know, they haven't said anything concrete, and doesn't really instill confidence.

Just because it's 'more' doesn't mean it's worth paying.

The VC subscription service type thing and supposedly better online features including playing online. Just stating what is on the website.

edit: when I think about it this isn't technically "delayed" as most sites have it stated as just 2018.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo really need to get their act together and make a proper online service before even considering charging for it. I still can't even do the most basic features, like sending messages!

its_Ditz

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they're uncertain about the service's quality or appeal, delaying it is the only right choice then.
Asking for money for a bad or barebones service would annihilate the positive reactions Nintendo got so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There will be backlash. People will cry and moan. People will pay. Just like with MS and Sony, It was free until It wasn't. I don't understand how is worst having around a year of free online than paying day one.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
As long as we get VC games I don't mind if they cancel this.

UNLESS the paid system has cloud saves in which case it'd be good.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
As long as we get VC games I don't mind if they cancel this.

UNLESS the paid system has cloud saves in which case it'd be good.

All I care is the VC games, give them to us Nintendo!
Y'all really still think we're getting VC on Switch? I gave up on the idea, and just assumed Nintendo wanted to keep pushing them Classic Consoles (the subscription thing doesn't really count unless it's more than just a couple NES games every month). I'd love to be wrong, tho. Portable VC would've been amazing.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Delayed again? Nintendo really wasn't prepared for this at all. Hopefully by the time they do roll it out there are very comprehensive features and attractive reasons to subscribe beyond just "online play". Being able to plug a mic into the system without using a stupid phone app would be a huge plus too.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point all I care about is cloud saves. I would happily pay £20 just for that. SO anxious about losing my Switch etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really still think we're getting VC on Switch? I gave up on the idea, and just assumed Nintendo wanted to keep pushing them Classic Consoles (the subscription thing doesn't really count unless it's more than just a couple NES games every month). I'd love to be wrong, tho. Portable VC would've been amazing.
Yeah, I starting to believe we won' be getting VC in the traditional sense on the Switch. I may be in the minority with this, but if no VC equates to stronger indie support than I have absolutely no problems

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If they don't.. that would be such a huge wasted potential. Portable N64 and Wii/Gamecube games is still the biggest feature I'm interested in. And I want to purchase them individually, not subscribe to them please.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy since if this also applies to every country I can continue playing Splat2.

It does bother me that eventually all console multiplayer experiences will be behind a pay wall.

Nintendo continuing to support multiplayer for wii u games shows that multiplayer can be free like it continues to be on pc.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It really boggles the mind how difficult the internet is for Nintendo.
Well, they have a working account system now, which is free, they have working multiplayer in all the games that require it, there is a working screenshot feature, and video on selected games. It's not all bad and they clearly know how to implement online features. The problem for them is rolling out a service that people want to pay for that doesn't look embarrassing compared to the competition. They originally wanted to go for "so cheap and barebones you can't even compare it", but I guess they looked at it and realized if you did that, people would ask why there is a payment required to begin with, if it's just low and has no value-added benefit.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
This is honestly something I would like Nintendo to delay until they get it right, as I feel this is probably the last chance the industry, as a whole, will give Nintendo. Do it correctly, or to the best of their know how, and make the Switch an even more desirable proposition to the consumer, and publisher/developer alike.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I've been kind of wondering if this will just be quietly canceled now that the Switch is a big success.

I figured it was an alternate revenue stream to exploit hardcore Nintendo fans, should the Switch have failed. There'd be no need for that now.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about we pretend this paid service was never mentioned and we go about our days.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Well, they have a working account system now, which is free, they have working multiplayer in all the games that require it, there is a working screenshot feature, and video on selected games. It's not all bad and they clearly know how to implement online features. The problem for them is rolling out a service that people want to pay for that doesn't look embarrassing compared to the competition. They originally wanted to go for "so cheap and barebones you can't even compare it", but I guess they looked at it and realized if you did that, people would ask why there is a payment required to begin with, if it's just low and has no value-added benefit.

I'm still not clear on what people are paying for with PSN and XBLive. Aside from the ability to play over a network not sure what it is of value they are providing.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm still not clear on what people are paying for with PSN and XBLive. Aside from the ability to play over a network not sure what it is of value they are providing.
Free games, deep discounts, advanced streaming/sharing features, expanded chat functionality, lots of social hooks. It's just really about having a fully featured social network filled with features and charging a membership fee for premium perks. No different from how people subscribe to Amazon Prime for example. The idea of a premium service is more attractive when the service is actually robust. Nintendo has never had this so they need to build it up to make it attractive or interesting to consumers.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Free games, deep discounts, advanced streaming/sharing features, expanded chat functionality, lots of social hooks. It's just really about having a fully featured social network filled with features and charging a membership fee for premium perks. No different from how people subscribe to Amazon Prime for example. The idea of a premium service is more attractive when the service is actually robust. Nintendo has never had this so they need to build it up to make it attractive or interesting to consumers.

Ah, I guess I don't find much value in those types of features, especially the discounts on digital as I buy most my games physically. But hopefully Nintendo can learn to provide those features to people who want them and still provide networked multiplayer to those who don't.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Ah, I guess I don't find much value in those types of features, especially the discounts on digital as I buy most my games physically. But hopefully Nintendo can learn to provide those features to people who want them and still provide networked multiplayer to those who don't.
Yeah I mean I don't subscribe to PS Plus anymore either, although I might when MH World is out because friends want to play it, but I can understand the appeal that it has in this day and age for the modern gamer who grew up on social media services. That's definitely something Nintendo needs to understand better moving forward. They nailed everything else with the Switch.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I would have easily paid a smaller free for online multiplayer, some extra eshop discounts, and a few free VC games a month. They'd need to get VC in place first. I don't mean those reworked NES games either. Just give me VC spanning NES to Wii, including the handhelds.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Man I really hope Virtual Console will happen! Seems such a massive shame not to have it. I never underestimate a big company's opportunity to exploit nostalgia though.

It's just like Nintendo to not have an expected feature then make it a big PR opportunity when they finally add it in (or more likely when they've worked their way through systems to do a stupidly overpriced "Classic" version of)

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
There will be backlash. People will cry and moan. People will pay. Just like with MS and Sony, It was free until It wasn't. I don't understand how is worst having around a year of free online than paying day one.
Nintendo has a different fanbase and is right to be cautious.

This is honestly something I would like Nintendo to delay until they get it right, as I feel this is probably the last chance the industry, as a whole, will give Nintendo. Do it correctly, or to the best of their know how, and make the Switch an even more desirable proposition to the consumer, and publisher/developer alike.
Last chance? You're wild

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Sigh.... lets just say that classic consoles and classic games on Switch are two entirely different thing and that you assumed wrong ok? We DO get classic games in 2018.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good good keep delaying it... Forever. There's genuinely no reason the consumer should pay for this given the state of their online services.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Nintendo subsidiaries aren't often the best source for rumors, but I also don't think a delay is a stretch.

Honestly, too early in 2018 doesn't seem like a good business strategy. Tons of Switches and copies of online-heavy games like Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Rocket League and ARMS were undoubtedly sold over the holiday shopping season -- hitting the average consumer with an additional paywall out of nowhere a few weeks after their purchase would not generate very much goodwill.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
They may just bite the bullet and keep online multi-player free, but charge for a prominent subscription service (monthly complimentary games, virtual console games,... etc). Would be crazy to suddenly force people to pay for multiplayer after having it for free on the same system for a significant time.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I assume that's when a big game like Animal Crossing or Pokemon will launch then, something you will want/need that service for.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo can you please just delay it to never? I don't see the value proposition in this.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long ago the nintendo.it page was quietly changed to say only "2018" while this conversation merrily trundled along, oblivious.

Edit: I additionally wonder how long the conversation will trundle along, oblivious, after this observation.

Last edited:

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't say this is good news.

It's great that their taking their time to give us an online platform that's actually worth using, but people bought a switch with the promise of proper online functionality at the top of 2018. I can see quite a bit of backlash if this is true.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The only thing I see is a generic 2018 date.
There is no mention of fall.

(I'm Italian)

Edit: never mind jusr saw rhe original vwrsion if the webpage. they probably updated the website and took autumn away

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Nintendo has a different fanbase and is right to be cautious.

It's never wrong to be cautious and sure, a good part of the Nintendo fanbase never paid for online (myself included). Back in time that was the case for Xbox and Playstation too. Nowadays paying for online on consoles is an accepted evil the same way DLC's and season passes are. We would prefer them to be free, we don't like to pay for them, but what are you gonna do?. It will also help that they will ask for 20$ instead of 60$. Heavy hitters like Splatoon 2 and MK 8 DX are strongly focussed on online and I would bet that the new Pokemon game will have online as well as (probably) the new Metroid game. I will probably end grumbly paying it and I'm totally against the concept itself.

That said, I hope that they have been delaying this in order to step up their game. Aside from some basic functionality like cloud saving, being able to message friends and send them screenshots or videos and so on, I would really like competitive discounts and some kind of fidelity program where buying a lot of games is significantly rewarded. I don't care about voice chat, I only used it with friends and have been using third party apps for that for a long time, but the phone app is embarrassingly bad. They sould just forget about it and partner with someone like Discord to offer the service.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must say, i really miss the miiverse. I wish the switch had it.

Drewboy64

Oct 25, 2017
If it's true, it's kind of nice that they're at least delaying it instead of rushing out a sloppy online service.

Status
Not open for further replies.