• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Switch Online, the paid online service for Nintendo's hybrid console, was originally meant to launch in Fall 2017 after the trial became available with Splatoon 2. However, we haven't heard about it in a long time and for good reason.

As you can read below, on the Italian website it is now explained that the paid subscription service will be available in Fall (Autumn) 2018. That's a pretty huge delay and one has to wonder whether Nintendo is simply having infrastructure issues or perhaps there will be new features to entice players to subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online. As a reminder, we've included below the official feature list confirmed by Nintendo at the time.

Of course, availability could vary between territories though it would be quite weird in this day and age where services and even games launch day and date globally.

nintendo-switch-online-1030x579.png

https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-online-delayed-fall-2018/

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was supposed to only launch in North America to begin with, if I'm not wrong, so this might not necessarily be news.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's just keep delaying it till like 2023 so we're at Switch 2.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FYI the spanish website has a generic 2018 date, so it's a possible screw up on Nintendo Italy's part.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good, more time to reconsider the stupid parts of it before asking for money.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Hopefully it means a substantial Switch update to include party chat, messaging, and game invites at the system level.

But who am I kidding. Nintendo won't do it, and there will be people proclaiming from the heavens that they don't want those features because they don't use them.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
If it isn't a screw up from the site then good, I'm not paying for this. Right now it's needs a lot of improvement.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Pretty amazed that the article takes a mention on a country-specific website (while all other websites don't have that mention) and sells it as factual delay (wording it like it was official) without doing any verification or even mentioning the possibility of a mistake.

I've seen it as well and reached out to Nintendo Italy for a clarification. Doubt they're gonna respond very soon tho, they all have an OOO notice. I would definitely not consider it an official delay, for now, tho.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it means a substantial Switch update to include party chat, messaging, and game invites at the system level.

But who am I kidding. Nintendo won't do it, and there will be people proclaiming from the heavens that they don't want those features because they don't use them.
I dunno them delaying it due to the reaction to the phone apps seems like a safe bet.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Basically Smash Bros confirmed for Fall 2018

...or Pokémon? They need a big game to officially launch the service

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I wouldn't mind this at all if it was gating the Virtual Console away from us.

I mean, if Nintendo needs to rebuild the features away from their crazy mobile app scheme, all the better, but give us our VC.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this means it has real improvements over what's there right now and not half-assed like literally every other attempt at online Nintendo has ever done.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like music to my ears.
I guess they will release it with a major online focused game?

Personally they should keep it free imo. The Switch is doing pretty well anyway and not every console needs paid online especially not a Nintendo one with their online history so far.

It would also be a great sellin point.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand how they're gonna weather asking people to pay money for access to online after they've been conditioned to having it for free for a year and a half.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not taking this too hard at face value since A) It's only on Nintendo Italy's site B) It could easily just be a leftover from when it was planned for Fall 2017, and subjective C) Next fall is waaaaaay too late to launch paid online without getting some form of backlash. Not to mention it was always just "2018" so Fall wouldn't technically be a delay even if it is true. It's not great of WCCF to treat this as more than just a rumour. I guess all we can do is wait for the January direct.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I don't really understand how they're gonna weather asking people to pay money for access to online after they've been conditioned to having it for free for a year and a half.

If the subscription truly turns out to be $20 a year, then most people will be OK with paying that. It's hardly breaking the bank, especially considering all the Switch owners (and gamers, in general) who spend so much money on games that they never end up playing anyway.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Me not paying for a ridiculous app in my phone just gets delayed until fall 2018 then.

Stealth

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As many people have correctly said on Twitter, the service was not delayed. Nintendo Japan only ever gave a 2018 release date. If anything they narrowed down the time.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If true this is GREAT news. It means Nintendo is taking this serious and wants to get it right. And we we get more free online.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to guess it launches with an unannounced marquee title that requires it, maybe even first year included with it for free, as per Nintendo custom. Probably talked about at the January Direct.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
smash delayed until fall 2018

they probably decided along the way to just go ahead and make a sequel

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
This is far from a solid source (someone could've made a mistake somewhere) but amazing if true. Hoping they delay it until Switch 2 or better yet, cancel it.

Pokémon could make a lot of players pay for online, though.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
The bigger the userbase gets the more good will they're going to lose when they start charging.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So maybe Smash will launch in the fall/holiday with the online. That makes me believe it's Smash 5 or close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.