• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Espeix

Dec 5, 2018
You know what character I don't remember anything about? Ethan.

Regardless, I really enjoyed RE7. Looking forward to an 8.

To be fair you could say the same about most RE characters in their debut game. Jill and Chris were about as interesting as a brick wall in the first game. It takes at least a couple of games before they start hitting their stride.

Feb 12, 2019
Honestly, Capcom has been on such a hot streak lately that I'm just going to nod my head and say "Sure, werewolves? Why not? What could possibly go wrong?"

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
"Resident Evil 8 is FPS again"

tenor.gif

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
To be fair you could say the same about most RE characters in their debut game. Jill and Chris were about as interesting as a brick wall in the first game. It takes at least a couple of games before they start hitting their stride.

That's fair enough. I hope they delve into his character more this time around.

Espeix

Dec 5, 2018
That's fair enough. I hope they delve into his character more this time around.

I do think not being able to see him played a big part in perception around his character for sure. Hopefully we see him in cutscenes this time around. NaH and EoZ had more cinematic cutscenes so I'm sure 8 will too.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
If Ethan returns please acknowledge if he is E.Winters from RE5 lost in nightmares and is a former umbrella scientist explaining the way he acts in RE7. Good lore idea there.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
FP again, thankfully. Would've been massively disappointed and considered skipping if it wasn't. Snowy village & castle has been my dream setting for the series for a while. Main reasons why I hope this is true. The rest sounds good too. Except two things:

No VR.

And Chris. Give Chris a break. Bring back Jill.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Snowy village & castle has been my dream setting for the series for a while. Main reason why I hope this is true. The rest sounds good too. Except two things:

No VR. And Chris.

Give Chris a break. Bring back Jill.

Not sure why there wouldn't be VR.

As for Chris. If Blue Umbrella is involved it makes sense for him to show up in some capacity.

IIRC Chris is the only one of the OG characters that we know what they're up to post Vendetta, right?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ethan returning only really makes sense to me if Mia or one of the Bakers is also involved

Dusk Golem confirms that the rumour details a version pre-dating a reboot of RE8

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, this is the Resident Evil 8 that got rebooted. This got tested earlier this year to see what they could pull from it after they decided to reboot it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
FP again, thankfully. Would've been massively disappointed if it wasn't. Snowy village & castle has been my dream setting for the series for a while. Main reasons why I hope this is true. The rest sounds good too. Except two things:

No VR.

And Chris. Give Chris a break. Bring back Jill.

Chris was used absolutely perfectly in RE7, and his DLC managed to turn the slow pace of RE7 into the typical "Action Man" Chris campaign we expect when playing as him now, which was smart because it's long enough to provide a satisfying rollercoster experience but short enough to not drag (both perfect for VR!). Honestly if they just re-use that framework again I would be extremely happy

Espeix

Dec 5, 2018
For the record, this is the Resident Evil 8 that got rebooted. This got tested earlier this year to see what they could pull from it after they decided to reboot it.

Oh...that's unfortunate. I hope that doesn't mean they're making 8 closer to the RE2 remake. I want to see more games like 7 in the future.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

Yeah, I thought so.
I remember you talking about some of these things before Remake 2 launch.
I hope that the massive critical success from Remake 2 made them more like that instead of more like RE7.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I do think not being able to see him played a big part in perception around his character for sure. Hopefully we see him in cutscenes this time around. NaH and EoZ had more cinematic cutscenes so I'm sure 8 will too.

It definitely handcuffs the developers. It ends up either being:
-Cut scenes (Not ideal for FP, but acceptable if done well.)
-Vocalization (One liners often get boring and rarely deliver, but it's a question of writing quality. It can be done well.)
-Reflections in other characters (Conversations or reactions to and from NPCs. Something I think was done fairly poorly in Resident Evil; I recall the villains/monsters in Resident Evil a lot, but because there is rarely a back-and-forth, you rarely learn anything about Ethan.)

It's tougher than 3rd person where you're literally stating at the character the whole time. I think something like the modern Wolfenstein games are a masterclass in doing the above things right.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
FPS horror is my absolute dream genre, and RE7 was the only game that really satisfied that want.

Another one, likely refined, sounds great. We have Remak3 coming and we just had 2, best of both for me.

Werewolves could be awesome in this engine, too.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Bummer. With my luck FP and the setting will be two of the things that don't carry over.

We're gonna be in REmake town for a while, aren't we?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I thought so.
I remember you talking about some of these things before Remake 2 launch.
I hope that the massive critical success from Remake 2 made them more like that instead of more like RE7.

But... Re7 was also a massive critical success?

You got two third person action Resis in a row, let us have our first person one :(

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
I really liked RE7, but I'm not sure I want another first person game. Close range combat against melee oriented enemies is always an awkward thing in first person, and RE7 was no exception. RE2 wasn't much better in terms of core mechanics, though more reactive enemies made things more interesting, but RE3 is adding a dodging mechanic which could be a big step up. RE7's blocking was a completely unsatisfying solution for defense in combat imo, and it's hilarious in the fiction that some random guy can just block hits from BOWs with his hands.

First person can also be limiting in terms of level design, particularly when paired with realistic movement abilities. This isn't necessarily a huge obstacle, and I loved the feeling of intimacy with the environment RE7 created when it was at its strongest, but RE2's fuller return to the more complex designs that "survival horror" was founded on is something I very much want to see continue.

Maybe a first person game could overcome these things, but it'd be a real challenge. It'll be fascinating to see where they end up going.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
I mean we had a Giraffe getting a blowjob, why not go full out and have 2 snakes kiss each others asses?

vector-illustration-two-snakes-intertwined-shape-ouroboros-sign-eating-their-tails-tattoo-design-red-black-139824620.jpg

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poor capcom, man. Make a critically acclaimed FPS horror game where most love the new direction.

Remake your old games in a fantastic TPS aspect, also critically acclaimed.

Make another new FPS, now everyone only wants TPS lol. They can only succeed so much.