• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earlier last month, Showtime gave a small update on the long-awaited Halo TV series which has been in development for nearly four years. But it looks like the network is finally ready to move forward with the project's production.

According to Production Weekly, filming of Steven Spielberg's Halo miniseries will begin in fall this year. Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank and Alex Maggioni from Amblin Television are attached to the project as producers. So it's safe to say the Ready Player One director is still attached to the project as well.

https://pursuenews.com/showtimes-halo-tv-series-reportedly-begin-filming-fall-2018/

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
This seems wildly late to the party. Not that Halo still isn't a big name or a popular game franchise but this feels like it should have happened a decade ago.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Woah, is it 2007 again? Is Neil Blomkamp going to start making his Halo movie again?
I wish, that ODST ad was a masterpiece

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I had forgotten this was a thing. I hope it's good!

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
At this point just give me a Blur Studios level graphical animated series over live action. Live action Halo has been ridiculously cheesy. I'll still watch though.
Hopefully this will be better in terms of narrative (though FUD was quite good). I mean, they suposedly have the producers of "Extant", "Falling Skies" and "The Americans" working on this project, as well as Spielberg himself. With those names at least it sounds like we'll get some good sci-fi action to enjoy.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

We will get there. Slowly - but we will get there.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Given what happened to the last scifi shows Steven Spielberg was associated with (seaQuest DSV and Falling Skies), I'm going to guess that he'll ruin the whole thing by focusing on some story element that is completely noninteresting to most of the audience and not dropping it until he's effectively kicked off the project.

Nov 8, 2017
I was quite hyped when there was talk of a Halo movie in like... 2009? I think Blomkamp was involved. I'll still check it out but this is not really very timely.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Refuse to believe this until cameras start rolling. Worse comes to worst, they can always do like Landfall and recycle props and pre-production materials for some swanky Halo 6 commercials.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
10 years too late to catch the hype, 10 years too early to catch the nostalgia

Bomba

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it might line up with Halo 6 next year, could be good marketing for them.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Where's the real people part from?

Both scenes are from the Ready Player One trailer. Which is directed by Steven Spielberg.

On topic: Seems like they would have this show release (if it really is still going ahead) to coincide with the Halo 6 marketing campaign.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope its a retelling of Halo and not some ancillary in-universe thing. Adaptation is certainly the way to go.

TheSantry

Dec 25, 2017
Isn't this related to that Spielberg-Halo project we heard about like 10 years ago? I wonder what caused this project to take so long. It's a bit concerning that this has taken so long since video game to TV/Movie adaptations are usually not particularly good or successful. But Halo is one of the most well known video game IPs and this project is being made in collaboration with one of the most critically acclaimed directors/producers in Hollywood so I'd love to see this series buck the trend. This will definitely be an interesting one to watch.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow... took long enough... TVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTV Halo tv show... TVT VTVTV CALLADOODIE CALLADOODIE

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really need to replay Halo 1-3. To bad I don't have a 360 to play Halo 3 anymore.

Still got my old Xbox though for Halo 1-2!

Jan 2, 2018
A Halo TV series would need GoT level budget to properly show the amazing world,lore and some large scale battles the first 3 games did so well. Unless they are going with some ONI spy story.
Hope the CGI will be good.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
If it's the stuff they were teasing Halo 5 with before the game came out and the game had nothing to do with it, I'd be interested in it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Halo TV series would need GoT level budget to properly show the amazing world,lore and some large scale battles the first 3 games did so well. Unless they are going with some ONI spy story.
Hope the CGI will be good.
I Think I recall someone at MS or 343 specifically saying it would have a GoT budget.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Please, don't. We've seen enough budget-constrained adaptations about dudes LARPing around empty spaces because a TV budget can only support so many CG puppets, and Halo already enough boot camp stories to last three lifetimes.

Unless, of course, they keep introducing new humanoid species that just so happened to be hiding somewhere in High Charity's basement.
Because that worked so well last time they tried it.

If 343i write it, Im sure it will be god awful. MS already the perfect chance of a great Halo movie in their hands and Im still confused how they fucked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyOAdrxlPVs
That short is neat for what it is, but it would make a terrible Halo movie. Even at his best, Blomkamp's style is the polar opposite of Halo's.
I'm tired of seeing such a vibrant and fun universe adapted into all these dour, self-serious things. Halo is big enough to support those stories, but it shouldn't be the only way it's portrayed in "real" media.