• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
According to a rumor circulating online, a new Nintendo Switch model could be released in the final quarter of the year. This new model will not adopt the new TegraX1+, but new custom processors Nintendo is developing with NVIDIA. The GPU will be based on the Volta architecture.

Even with new processors, however, major performance improvements and 4K support should not be expected. Production of these custom processors has yet to begin, according to information coming from Taiwan, so it seems unlikely that the model could be released before the end of 2020.

As the rumor comes from unspecified sources, we should take it with a grain of salt. The leaker, however, got a good reputation, as he correctly revealed information on mobile products before, so there may be some truth in what has been revealed today.

Source: https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-pro-gpu-volta-4k/

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
yeah the switch is gonna do 4k 120fps output with ray tracing it's gonna be absolutely wild

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo will probably do 4k in maybe 7 years

When everyone else is on 16k consoles or whatever nonsensical number we'll be chasing then

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
"Major performance improvement and 4K support should not be expected"

Not interested

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol the OP is a mess

thread destroyed at post 1.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
"4K support".
*reads article*
Yeah, that's THE definition of clickbait.

edit: title changed, nothing to see here!

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Talk about jumping the gun

OP thought he was gonna get a megaton thread with 100 pages like the Sony releasing horizon on pc thread 😂

Hopefully they will reveal it in the summer whatever this new SKU will be

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Tbh whats the point if they cant even get 1080p games like luigis mansion 3 and render them at 1440p and let the swotch upscale that to 4k.

Im not asking for nicer textures or higher framerates than base model. But why migrate to a new gpu if ur not using it.

I dont want 4k perse (dont really care) but most people would expect at least a bit higher res than the base model and let the console upscale that.

Oct 26, 2017
If the pro will be able to run all regular switch games at 720p with decent performance in handheld mode, that's all I need really. Anything more is gravy.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Switch Pro to contain thinking aluminum, probably won't explode in users hands when overly taxed.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
The most amazing part of this thread is the article that's linked. It's like the poster literally read half the headline and then ran to Era to post it without reading the actual article.

Nintendo Switch "Pro" GPU to be Based on Volta Architecture; 4K Support, Massive Performance Improvements Not Expected – Rumor

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I can safely say that I don't believe a single bit of this rumor, based on Nintendo's history and their very well known opinion about 'power'.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
This even being made into a thread + the contradiction with the title and actual words in the article:

roflcopter-2.jpg

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I think I can safely say that I don't believe a single bit of this rumor, based on Nintendo's history and their very well known opinion about 'power'.

Article doesn't actually say anything that I'd consider "out there", but yeah, if they keep the switch concept long term I think they'll always have the most powerful thing nvidia or whoever can give them that keeps at least 2.5 hours minimum battery. Which is still cutting edge, but just not in a way that will necessarily wow people.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The OP's title does not correctly reflect the contents of the article or the article's title even.

Though the article's title is super confusing.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If they can give us decent settings at 1080p that would be a win.

Eventually TVs with AI chips will be able to automatically upscale games to 4K, so I'm not worried about that. I just want draw distances and stable frame rates.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Also where is "similar performance" coming from? That's not anywhere in the article.

"Not a massive improvement" does not mean "similar"

Status
Not open for further replies.