• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Im saying he's been wrong on a good amount of things. Not saying this info isn't out of the blue as Zhug pointed out, and also Jason hinted at. I just don't trust Jez after a lot of dumb calls he's done in the past.

Would like Someone like Jason to actually finalize some of this info or at least acknowledge it's similar to what he's heard.
He's been more right than wrong...All reporters get stuff wrong...people who read their info do need to know that things can change (as was stated in the article)...

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not buying that TF number. And 16GB of unified RAM seems low, especially if 4K is the target. Figure in TDP and price... Something is off

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I don't think you are suppose to put the $ in Microsoft's name IIRC. Might want to change that.

I don't think it's allowed. That rule could be from the old site. It's pretty childish though.
It's a compliment. They making that money!

But yeah, it's a fanboy's attempt at an insult.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
You know Sony and Microsoft collude on the specs of these boxes so as to avoid causing too much disruption. I expect the PS5's specs to be within the margin of error of the Xbox 2's specs.
So you think it would be something like what we saw last time with Xbox one specs vs ps4 specs but reversed?

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
There's another thought that came to me about now:

Previous speculation mentioned that Ms would go "wider and slower" as in more CUs at lower speeds than Ps5.

Maybe set up as follows (and taking into account DukeBlueBall comment about Anaconda being [email protected]):

44 CUs @1.7Ghz, 4 disabled for yields
46 CUs @1.6Ghz 2 disabled for yields

Perhaps they went all "Fuck disabling yields we need to go FULL POWAH" in order to get the power crown.

They really would need to get a powerful cooling solution and PSU to power such a beast

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's another thought that came to me about now:

Previous speculation mentioned that Ms would go "wider and slower" as in more CUs at lower speeds than Ps5.

Maybe set up as follows (and taking into account DukeBlueBall comment about Anaconda being [email protected]):

44 CUs @1.7Ghz, 4 disabled for yields
46 CUs @1.6Ghz 2 disabled for yields

Perhaps they went all "Fuck disabling yields we need to go FULL POWAH" in order to get the power crown.

They really would need to get a powerful cooling solution and PSU to power such a beast

Dante 52CU at 2.0ghz...
🤷‍♂️

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
We've been hearing for months that the PS5 is going to be stronger than Scarlet based on dev kits out in the wild. Makes you wonder how long Tom has known these specs/has had to bite his tongue.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

Awesome, thanks.

Sorry I didn't know been literally looking at servers all damn day.

We've been hearing for months that the PS5 is going to be stronger than Scarlet based on dev kits out in the wild. Makes you wonder how long Tom has known these specs/has had to bite his tongue.

What doesn't make sense to me, is if Anaconda is 12tf, but devkit wise PS5 is faster, is it only in maturity of the devkit? Like in actual raw numbers anaconda is stronger than pS5? Or is PS5 like 12.34tf or something?

Is it in just devkit maturity?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I never understood these rumors because all signs pointed to Xbox holding their cards close to the chest while we literally have pictures of PS5 dev kits

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

I was aware of the 12TF stuff in January 2019 but there is soo much BS around that it's hard to trust anything. Durango devkit had a scaled down 7900 GPU before final hardware which lead people to assume it was a beast.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is that the clear massive leaps for next generation as just mentioned by Jason from Kotaku earlier on the threads per discussions with those who are in the know are the CPU and SSD upgrades for these consoles, and the Lockhart will have both of those big leaps in place too. So when everyone is talking about things like frame rates and loading times being better, that can actually help to market the cheapest option that just doesn't push 4K or as high graphics settings as the top end options (just like PC graphics card options in the market today basically).

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I was kind of hoping the base next gen would be at least match the X. 4tf for lockhart would be a little disappointing

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
But we dont know where the Ps5 is sitting atm. It could be 13tflops and be more powerful than anaconda.

But now that the devkits are out (so the specs of both machines are well known among developers) this leak or announcement or whatever it is comes a bit a surprise to me.

Perhaps a demonstration of confindene from Microsoft?
These specs are near identical to those leaked months ago. So I'm not sure if it is linked to dev kits going out (they have been out earlier to certain devs). It seems more like a few round numbers and targets. Rather than anything set in stone.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
I was aware of the 12TF stuff in 01/2019 but there is soo much BS around that it's hard to trust anything. Durango devkit had a scaled down 7900 GPU before final hardware which lead people to assume it was a beast.
So all this talk about MS flip flopping on their vision has been BS as well? If 12TF has been their goal since all the way back in Jan, it seems pretty firm to me.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Sure, I hope they do, but with the disaster that is the Xbox One, I'm a bit apprehensive to trust M$ right out of the box.
Maybe check out Xbox One X then? It's a sleek, silent and powerful console. Best console hardware I have ever owned.

Made by the Surface team, who are designing the nextbox too.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
So all this talk about MS flip flopping on their vision has been BS as well? If 12TF has been their goal since all the way back in Jan, it seems pretty firm to me.

I don't know that much...

All I knew that these were the the targets for Scarlett from 2017 / early 2018

Lockhart:
8 core zen 2
8-12GB GDDR6
4TF+ Navi
1TB SDD at 1.0 GB/s

Anaconda:
8 core zen 2
12-16GB GDDR6
10TF+ Navi
1TB SDD at 1.0 GB/s

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I hope cerny innovating in the Architecture design.

That's why when the rumors appeared that the PS5 would be more powerful, I was mixed because the PS4 is designed in a very classic way especially the PS4 pro.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know that much...

All I knew that these were the the targets for Scarlett from 2017 / early 2018

Lockhart:
8 core zen 2
8-12GB GDDR6
4TF+ Navi
1TB SDD at 1.0 GB/s

Anaconda:
8 core zen 2
12-16GB GDDR6
10TF+ Navi
1TB SDD at 1.0 GB/s
Yep. Pretty much...though it was NVMe SSD back then as well.

Feb 10, 2018

After the xbox one power issues, the xbox 1X and phils many words on power, its been apparent to me that they always planned anaconda to be very powerful.

12tf is beyond our wildest dreams, who would of thought a year ago we would have a gpu as powerful as 16 GCN tflops, that was clown talk back then.

TURBO1112

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we need a thread explaining why Lockhart wont be weaker than the X. So many posts about this

Renovatio

Oct 23, 2019
The biggest advantage of the console world was to simply experience unique hardware, pushed to the highest possible performance levels. With Anaconda and lockhart, however, the developers are on one side called to spend time and resources on different products, and this already affects the costs and results we were used to. This is already madness with the current difficulties. As users, then, it may happen that the cheaper version of the consoles is a development base, and then the most expensive one is not justified in the price and in the results themselves (it happens with Xbox one X, today, and know that you can see it here at home). Or what, will they develop on the leading console? And there will probably be silly results on the lower one, however a brake on development. Again, all this makes no sense, even more knowing that Sony will only need to position itself in the middle to become the true, unique reference of the new generation. Smart people, at Microsoft and in the Xbox department.

Without considering that Xbox one X, at this point, would be an exploitable minimum for the new generation, perhaps at resolutions castrated as 720p, but will be 'casually' ousted, with lockhart to sell, more updated but more or less similar in performance according to rumors.

I will never, NEVER join (or jump in) this kind of MADNESS. Open eyes guys, use brain.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Maybe check out Xbox One X then? It's a sleek, silent and powerful console. Best console hardware I have ever owned.

Made by the Surface team, who are designing the nextbox too.
I'm talking about the software output. The Xbox One X is a solid machine, that puts the PS4 Pro to shame with how well it was put together, but I can play all those games on my PC. No doubt the turn around that Microsoft has done with their hardware is impressive, but they're still lagging behind in exclusive software and I'm not ready to jump back in after the Xbox One. If Microsoft's apparent dedication to putting out exclusives next gen turns out to be real, I'll be one of the first in line to buy them but I just can't trust them based on word alone.

Jun 22, 2018
The biggest advantage of the console world was to simply experience unique hardware, pushed to the highest possible performance levels. With Anaconda and lockhart, however, the developers are on one side called to spend time and resources on different products, and this already affects the costs and results we were used to. This is already madness with the current difficulties. As users, then, it may happen that the cheaper version of the consoles is a development base, and then the most expensive one is not justified in the price and in the results themselves (it happens with Xbox one X, today, and know that you can see it here at home). Or what, will they develop on the leading console? And there will probably be silly results on the lower one, however a brake on development. Again, all this makes no sense, even more knowing that Sony will only need to position itself in the middle to become the true, unique reference of the new generation. Smart people, at Microsoft and in the Xbox department.

Without considering that Xbox one X, at this point, would be an exploitable minimum for the new generation, perhaps at resolutions castrated as 720p, but will be 'casually' ousted, with lockhart to sell, more updated but more or less similar in performance according to rumors.

I will never, NEVER join (or jump in) this kind of MADNESS. Open eyes guys, use brain.
Those same developers have to accommodate all forms of PC as well, so Lockhart makes no real difference.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I'm invested in a Windows PC, so I don't really have to worry about the next gen Xbox because those games will be coming to PC. Why are you actually trying to turn this into a console war?
I'm also invested in a Windows PC and enjoy gamepass to it's fullest by having both the console and the PC and there are many games on the service that are not on PC and will most likely never come there. Don't see the point of this post...

If anything, gamepass ultimate encourages Xbox console adoption, don't see why is paying for the PC gamepass to then purchase games available on the service on a different console smart?

Next gen MS will be having 15 proven great studios pumping out games like clockwork but if purchasing each one on PC at full price sounds like a better proposal then idk, go for it.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
AMD Tflops =! Nvidia Tflops.

Why do folks keep making this mistake? You can't compare Nvidia cards to AMD cards with Tflops, they don't scale that way.

🤣🤣😭 I give up.

Ok so I just read some docs / thread for this story of "TFlops"...

So a Vega 64 is less perform than a 2060 Super

VEGA 64 (GCN) : 12,5 TF
RTX 2060 Super : 7,5 TF

Waiting for Navi TF (RDNA) but If 12TF is better than 7,5 of Nvidia (+ CPU) just GG for AMD

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
naive question here...

IF lockhart = ~4 TF, ps5 = ~10 TF, and anaconda = ~12 TF, and IF this translates into 1080p on lockhart and native 4k on anaconda, does this mean sony's 10TF could slide right inbetween these two resolutions somehow? a bit like this gen where we have virtually the same game on ps4 @ 1080p, native 4k on x1x, and somewhere inbetween using reconstruction techniques to reach 4k on ps4 pro?

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I'm also invested in a Windows PC and enjoy gamepass to it's fullest by having both the console and the PC and there are many games on the service that are not on PC and will most likely never come there. Don't see the point of this post...

If anything, gamepass ultimate encourages Xbox console adoption, don't see why is paying for the PC gamepass to then purchase games available on the service on a different console smart?
The point was exactly what you posted. The guy I originally replied to was telling PS5 users not to fret, that the difference wouldn't be that big. However, if you don't limit yourself to one platform, there's nothing to worry about. His post came off as trying to incite a console war, mine just let him know that there's multiple ways to enjoy Microsoft's ecosystem without having to exclusively own an Xbox and turn down offerings from Nintendo/Sony.

Next gen MS will be having 15 proven great studios pumping out games like clockwork
Proof that games will be "pumped out like clockwork?"

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I posted earlier but someone was trying to deny inflation exists (???????)

this leak is from January, and has been passed aside many times, but, does this bring it further into reality?

imgur.com

Next Xbox mysterious leak

24305 views on Imgur: The magic of the Internet

N6jU8wFl.png

ynOTmAol.png

S3NsIyOl.png

uR8uRQVl.png

the ps5 stuff seemed iffy, but maybe they really did pivot the whole ps5 idea?

Feb 10, 2018
I hope cerny innovating in the Architecture design.

That's why when the rumors appeared that the PS5 would be more powerful, I was mixed because the PS4 is designed in a very classic way especially the PS4 pro.
I don't think there will be much innovating on either side, they will take available technology and put it together with some tweaking.

To me the rumours of PS5 being uber powerful didn't make to much sense because it has not been there strategy this gen, this gen they made powerful consoles in the constraints of a price they thought was very attractive.
I would of thought they would of banged out another $399 console with decent but not beastly specs.
However once klee had spoken it seems Sony want to a return to a more beastly hardware.

Feb 10, 2018
I posted earlier but someone was trying to deny inflation exists (???????)

this leak is from January, and has been passed aside many times, but, does this bring it further into reality?

imgur.com

Next Xbox mysterious leak

24305 views on Imgur: The magic of the Internet

N6jU8wFl.png

ynOTmAol.png

S3NsIyOl.png

uR8uRQVl.png

the ps5 stuff seemed iffy, but maybe they really did pivot the whole ps5 idea?

Was this leak before age of empires 4 was announced?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019

It depends entirely on how they're segmented. The Xbox-Xbox One X has significantly differences in amount of memory, GPU (architecture and overall performance), and lesser but still substantial differences in CPU power - and it was delivered far into this generations lifespan. Even if it runs the 'same code', those are still quite a number of factors.

If the only difference in power from Lockhart to Anaconda is 4TF vs 12 though - same CPU, same amount of memory, same storage, and it's being accounted for from the outset with development, I really don't see the problem. Games won't have to be changed significantly, or at all - most games will likely have some form of dynamic resolution, you could have the exact same code for example run on both consoles, and at console the performance target would just mean the game would run at 1080p (or below) while be at 4k on Anaconda. I don't see how that would interfere with a developers vision at all. Again, if the only difference is in GPU power.

Edit: I see the latest rumours are differences in memory - 12 vs 16.However, If the PS5 'only' has 12 then that would already have to be accounted for in most multi-platform development. As usual, too many unknowns at this point.

Last edited: