• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
what was so bad about tides of destiny? people keep mentioning it's bad, but i never played it

Hands down the best game in the series. Only low point was the farming which should have just been axed completely instead of the weird streamlined state it was in. I actually gave up on it and had no issues outside of some minor things I just quickly grinded out the solution for.

Lyon N. Laap

Oct 27, 2017
My friend got to quickly watch me go from zero to one hundred to zero to one hundred right quick. Jumped at Rune Factory reveal, sat down at RF4 remaster (love the game, but no real care to go back), then back up again at the RF5 tease.

Like many others, I've so long wanted the series to be alive for more people to experience, glad it's most likely not exclusive?

Include gay marriage you cowards.

Know some folks who would REALLY appreciate this so yes yes yes.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I actually really liked Tides of Destiny! It's a shame that it's stuck on PS3 and Wii. Along with Frontier.

Also Violet was best girl in Tides.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I know the series but never played them.

What are the most notable difference compared to Story Of Seasons/Bokujou Monogatari ?

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
So fucking pumped when I saw this! Rune Factory is huge in my world. I might even double dip on RF4S.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

What are the most notable difference compared to Story Of Seasons/Bokujou Monogatari ?

Much less focus on the farming aspects, much more focus on character interactions and action RPG elements (Action RPG elements include action RPG battles, and dungeons, and item/equipment crafting). Also, like, you raise monsters instead of livestock, although there are Cow, Chicken and Sheep monsters so.

Hopefully 5 has more mature looking bachelors/bachelorettes.

You will have a single older looking woman and a single older looking man and both of their personalities will revolve around them telling you how old they are.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Quoting myself from earlier...
All of the social elements of Rune Factory are on par or better than Harvest Moon, the farming is toned down, but still very enjoyable and still has a lot of variety. Crops are mostly the same and farm animals are replaced with a monster capturing mechanic for things like wool and milk and honey.

The biggest differentiater is the fact that it is truly an RPG. Everything has a different skill associated with it, and leveling in those feed into your character level hp/mp/etc. And I mean everything! Fishing, crafting, cooking, camping, foraging, etc.

It's not the most deep action combat, but it's still quite good. Boss battles are mostly fun.

Really, the game is so good because it's a kind of Jack of all trades. There is so much content, and everything you do feeds into the gameplay loop. If you decide to take a break from dungeon crawling for an in game week, you aren't in any way punished. You're still making money, you're still leveling skills, and because of that your main level is still going up.

Nothing is a wasted effort, every task is satisfying and rewarding.

It's both a very chill game, but also a fun RPG-lite.

You will have a single older looking woman and a single older looking man and both of their personalities will revolve around them telling you how old they are.

That's not true, you'll have a great mature male and female character, but they will inevitably be the parent of one of the actual marriable choices.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting myself from earlier...

It's both a very chill game, but also a fun RPG-lite.

That's not true, you'll have a great mature male and female character, but they will inevitably be the parent of one of the actual marriable choices.

By social element I assume things like building relationship with 'villagers' ? Spending time with the villagers are my favorite part of SoS Trio Of Towns

Also that monster and RPG element oddly enough reminds me of Legend Of Mana lol.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn it, I thought I'm done with my 3DS. Going to try Rune Factory 4 lol.

The games aren't all that similar, Rune Factory 4 is a lot more conventional in its narrative and characters and setting, but since we're never going to get anything like Legend of Mana ever again, it's worth a shot.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I actually really liked Tides of Destiny! It's a shame that it's stuck on PS3 and Wii. Along with Frontier.

Also Violet was best girl in Tides.
I wanted to like Tides of Destiny but compared to 3-4/Frontier it's seriously terrible. The whale thing, dungeons, how your 'field' is makes me dislike it even more. Spent 10 hours before I gave up.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am overjoyed that everyone else is overjoyed. This was truly the highlight of the Direct for me. A series that was doomed to never resurface reborn on Switch. I even get to have the great 4 in HD.

I feel so happy.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm actually ecstatic that this thread has 5 pages already! I thought it was gonna die quickly cause I didn't know how popular Rune Factory was. Loved that franchise so much and I was heartbroken when the original dev team went under.

How my heart soared when I saw Rune Factory 4 Special and Rune Factory 5!

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, I thought RF was one of those series permanently laid out to pasture. First Stardew Valley, then My Time At Portia, now the king is back. Good times.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow it's alive!
Enjoyed RF4 even though I didn't get super far. Maybe I'll double dip?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I am overjoyed that everyone else is overjoyed. This was truly the highlight of the Direct for me. A series that was doomed to never resurface reborn on Switch. I even get to have the great 4 in HD.

I feel so happy.
Very glad to know the original creator and his new studio are in charge of it as well. That was probably my second biggest worry after never being any more, and that's that Marvelous would farm (heh) it out to some other random studio and have it ruined.

-Soma-

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
This literally got me over the edge to buy a Switch. I can't wait to dive back into this franchise.

I love Harvest Moon/RF so freaking much.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I bought 4 back in 2015 when it was on sale, played it for a couple of hours and put it down again. Can it be played while ignoring or the bare minimum of farming? Because it seems I don't much like farming (which is why I don't play Stardew). And I can't sell it, I have the european download only version.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
I bought 4 back in 2015 when it was on sale, played it for a couple of hours and put it down again. Can it be played while ignoring or the bare minimum of farming? Because it seems I don't much like farming (which is why I don't play Stardew). And I can't sell it, I have the european download only version.
You don't really have to farm if you don't want to

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember being charmed by the original game but then they all looked to same-y and bland, like cash-ins.

Is RF4 any good guys?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I remember being charmed by the original game but then they all looked to same-y and bland, like cash-ins.

Is RF4 any good guys?

This is a pretty bad take to be honest. Harvest Moon (the original ones) Did not heavily iterate from title to title only making improvements to the game formula where necessary. The same applies to Rune Factory series. This does not make them bland or cash-ins. There is absolutely nothing wrong with iterating on an established formula that works and quite frankly I find the bolded to be rather superficial take on the series.

If you are looking for massive overhauls to the formula from title to title. Story of Seasons or Rune Factory are NOT those sorts of games.

IF you enjoyed the first game, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy the 4th which is the most refined of the series in terms of mechanics.

Just don't fall into the notion that every sequel has to be some massive innovation or bring a huge swath of changes to be worthwhile to play and you'll enjoy the series for what it is.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Rune Factory 1 is the only one I really liked. I hope 5 is good. :(

I might try out 4 again when the Switch version comes out. I miss Rune Factory/Story of Seasons so much.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is a pretty bad take to be honest. Harvest Moon (the original ones) Did not heavily iterate from title to title only making improvements to the game formula where necessary. The same applies to Rune Factory series. This does not make them bland or cash-ins. There is absolutely nothing wrong with iterating on an established formula that works and quite frankly I find the bolded to be rather superficial take on the series.

If you are looking for massive overhauls to the formula from title to title. Story of Seasons or Rune Factory are NOT those sorts of games.

IF you enjoyed the first game, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy the 4th which is the most refined of the series in terms of mechanics.

Just don't fall into the notion that every sequel has to be some massive innovation or bring a huge swath of changes to be worthwhile to play and you'll enjoy the series for what it is.

But was it a good game? I'm not sure why but it felt like these games became less charming as time progressed. Maybe this remaster is a good time to get back to the franchise.

-Soma-

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
But was it a good game? I'm not sure why but it felt like these games became less charming as time progressed. Maybe this remaster is a good time to get back to the franchise.

The 3th one is my favorite, but the 4th one has by far the most quality content and is a good evolution on the formula/has way more polished mechanics than the other ones.

It's good. The games basically became less janky and more refined as time went on, adding subtle improvements.