• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Did they change this game? I could have swore it was going to be like a survival/mp game a la Age of Conan at one point.

Really hope the campaign is fun, also great work on the OT.

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, had no idea this was coming out so soon. I'm not opposed to buying games on EGS, so will check it out once I've gotten through this fall's games. Thanks, OP!

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time getting a read on the single player/co-op experience. Is it a linear campaign?

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
The early videos for this were rough, i'm hoping the final game will prove to be better.
I also didn't realize ti was coming out tomorrow! holy crap. Hell of a turn around time

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to give this a try once it comes out on Steam. I hope the additional funding and sales on other stores lets them improve what we last saw of the game.

And it could use better marketing, because I completely forgot about it with so many other games coming out.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool, have the Linux version of the original game, so hoping to play this one as well once it hits Steam.

Hadxmen

Oct 31, 2017
Don't waste your time and don't buy this game.

It's one of the worst games I've ever played.

Everything is horrible, performance is a lot of worse than RDR2 and Rune II looks like PS3 title with animations from Gothic 2.
Combat system and enemy AI are broken.

Also game is pretty dead in multiplayer. Full playerbase on this screenshoot:
l60rdzmjwby31.png

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I'm so utterly lost, does it have a fully fledged campaign or what

Rune 1 was beyond amazing in multiplayer

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What would compel them to go Epic exclusive for a game with this small of a word of mouth. Why not get extra eyes on it through all storefronts. It's mindboggling.

Being EE is keeping me from checking it out at all.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What would compel them to go Epic exclusive for a game with this small of a word of mouth. Why not get extra eyes on it through all storefronts. It's mindboggling.

Probably the fact that Epic paid them most if not all their development budget.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona

You answered your own question with the first sentence. There is a high chance of this not making it's money back. They can mitigate this risk by taking the check.

There is a small chance this would have been a huge success.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god is this terrible.

It is definitely not finished. AI is constantly getting stuck on terrain and just standing there. Tutorial pop ups are blank. Some have raw script code that appears and nothing else.

And even if it did work, it plays terribly. Combat is has zero weight, you just run and strafe and slash. Honestly Rune 1 had better combat .

It is also a really shoddy survival game on top of everything else. You have to punch trees and rocks to get resources, and you craft items and buildings.

The whole thing feels like one of the hundreds of generic asset swap survival games you see on Steam from a developer with one title.

I can't believe how far Human Head has fallen .

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even realize this was releasing. After seeing this thread I hopped on YouTube looking for reviews and there's literally nothing.

Not a good sign.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I was so looking forward to this, but the game barely get more polished the closer it is to release, and the EGS deal just soured me on the game almost entirely.

Good job on the well done OP though. Hopefully the'll continue to improve the game.

Oh my god is this terrible.

It is definitely not finished. AI is constantly getting stuck on terrain and just standing there. Tutorial pop ups are blank. Some have raw script code that appears and nothing else.

And even if it did work, it plays terribly. Combat is has zero weight, you just run and strafe and slash. Honestly Rune 1 had better combat .

It is also a really shoddy survival game on top of everything else. You have to punch trees and rocks to get resources, and you craft items and buildings.

The whole thing feels like one of the hundreds of generic asset swap survival games you see on Steam from a developer with one title.

I can't believe how far Human Head has fallen .
Oof. Good thing that there's no user reviews system in EGS

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
This game is completely awful. It has almost zero redeeming qualities. What a bummer.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's really not that hard, a lot of these games go epic exclusive because they don't think they will sell in the first place. And it seems doubly true in this case given the word of mouth.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This game is completely awful. It has almost zero redeeming qualities. What a bummer.

I have bought a couple games I didn't like on the Epic store so far, but I ate the cost because I thought there was no refund policy.

This game however is so terrible I was going to write Epic to demand a refund. Then I saw that Epic actually has the exact same refund policy as Steam.

Thank god, I would be pissed if I got stuck with this game

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What an odd banner at the top of the epic game page
lDvPcAkl.png

Yeah it's almost like they know their game is garbage and they just gave up. It is really fucked up to try to sell it in its current state, there is no way the dev could be unaware that it is unfinished. How did Epic let them release this? It is not a good look for their storefront.

This whole thing is just sad.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
So much for careful curation. Looks like Epic paid for a dud, and the developer didn't bother using the money they received from Epic, to improve Rune 2.

The finished product looks pretty poor, but I can't help but feel this could've been a great game.

My question is why was it released like this? Pretty much just dropped on the store with no fanfare. Not a single review was on YouTube when I checked last night.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well...HHS is no more, officially. However, they are reforming as Roundhouse Studios at Bethesda at least, so there's that.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Is this one of the "only quality titles" Tim Sweeney said would be on the store?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's almost like they know their game is garbage and they just gave up. It is really fucked up to try to sell it in its current state, there is no way the dev could be unaware that it is unfinished. How did Epic let them release this? It is not a good look for their storefront.

This whole thing is just sad.
Help I'm on fire
Come jump in my boat

What is this. What is that supposed to be?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, I was expecting the worst from these impressions but I enjoyed the 90 minutes or so I spent with it this evening. While the combat certainly isn't as fast as Rune 1, which is like 3rd person Quake levels of responsiveness, it offers lots of variety and the attacks/swings change up considerably based on what weapon you're using. Performance was shakey on the cinematic settings but after I dropped it to high it was relatively okay until I hit the sea for on my rickety raft for the first time, then it chugged quite a bit.

I wish the inventory didn't fill so quickly though. Too much rubbish after a few skirmishes. Didn't encounter any a.i. bugs or empty tutorial prompts in solo offline play. They definitely need to amp up the hit reactions on the enemies though and make the movement more snappy.

Sorry, I was under the impression that you worked for human head games?

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Do you think that with Human Head being absorved by Bethesda means that a sequel to Prey 2006 will be a possible?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

I was genuinely interested in getting this but now I'm just glad I saved the money. Hopefully their supposed updates and support do bring the game to NMS Beyond levels for those who sadly did end up making the purchase. For me personally, I have little interest in redemptive arcs for games that knowingly send out titles that are so fundamentally broken. Whatever fixes they have planned are things that should have never even been broken before being put on sale. I get that Epic is eager for an exclusive with name recognition but I'll never understand the desire to not just do the work to make it something worth buying. Launches like this just undermine the very image of benevolent Steam alternative that they're so eager to establish.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

I was genuinely interested in getting this but now I'm just glad I saved the money. Hopefully their supposed updates and support do bring the game to NMS Beyond levels for those who sadly did end up making the purchase. For me personally, I have little interest in redemptive arcs for games that knowingly send out titles that are so fundamentally broken. Whatever fixes they have planned are things that should have never even been broken before being put on sale. I get that Epic is eager for an exclusive with name recognition but I'll never understand the desire to not just do the work to make it something worth buying. Launches like this just undermine the very image of benevolent Steam alternative that they're so eager to establish.

It was likely sent to die for reasons outside of EGS exclusivity