• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm going for a new half marathon PR at an event near the end of October, and then from there I am going to begin training for my first full marathon. I'm hoping to break 1:45 for the new PR, and assuming I do, what should be my pace for my long runs during marathon training as I begin to build more mileage? The farthest distance I have ever run without stopping was 15 miles, and that was one Saturday in the spring when I wasn't training for anything at the time and just felt good and kept going. I don't remember the pace.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
So I'm going for a new half marathon PR at an event near the end of October, and then from there I am going to begin training for my first full marathon. I'm hoping to break 1:45 for the new PR, and assuming I do, what should be my pace for my long runs during marathon training as I begin to build more mileage? The farthest distance I have ever run without stopping was 15 miles, and that was one Saturday in the spring when I wasn't training for anything at the time and just felt good and kept going. I don't remember the pace.
When building endurance (long run on Sunday) I don't ever worry about pace. I put real effort into weekly intervals, have a shorter group run during the week that I try and run at goal pace and rely on race day adrenaline/fear of getting passed after the half way mark to get through :). I usually race shorter distance races regularly leading up to the main event, event if it's just the local 3.1 mile parkrun.

TheAquaticApe

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Running ERA!

Next month I am running the Chicago Marathon. Yep, it's my first ever. Long story short, it has long been my fiance's dream to run Chicago. Last year she and her mom signed up to run it. She asked me then if I wanted to join them and I said, "Why would anyone want to run a Marathon?" At that time, the most I had ever run was 6 miles. However, I secretly signed up too, as sort of a surprise with the idea that we would all train and run it together. You see where this is going right? They didn't get in and I did. My fiance said, "You stole my spot. Now you have to run it."

So here I am, 7 months of training later, getting ready to run this race.

I decided to share because I wanted to get some feedback about a knee issue I am having. Basically, I noticed something was off last weekend when my right knee started clicking more while bending. I also noticed during a 5 and 12 mile run how I really wasn't feeling my right quad. That said, no swelling, no pain, and I was still able to keep my regular pace.

I saw my Doctor earlier this week. She told me it's not setting properly when it bends. Her words, "It's slightly off" She also suggested I reduce the miles this week by half and follow up if it persists. I have reduced and ran 5 miles Wens. No issue, kept pace, just feels off. Today I reached out to her office today to get info on seeing an orthopedic.

So I just wanted to see if anyone here had any similar issues in the past. I'm not freaking out yet, but I am concerned. I am frustrated that I have to let off the gas this late in training. I'm also worried I could potentially damage it forever. Running this marathon has become so much of my life and it's really depressing to think it might not happen now.

What say you ERA runners?

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Running ERA!

Next month I am running the Chicago Marathon. Yep, it's my first ever. Long story short, it has long been my fiance's dream to run Chicago. Last year she and her mom signed up to run it. She asked me then if I wanted to join them and I said, "Why would anyone want to run a Marathon?" At that time, the most I had ever run was 6 miles. However, I secretly signed up too, as sort of a surprise with the idea that we would all train and run it together. You see where this is going right? They didn't get in and I did. My fiance said, "You stole my spot. Now you have to run it."

So here I am, 7 months of training later, getting ready to run this race.

I decided to share because I wanted to get some feedback about a knee issue I am having. Basically, I noticed something was off last weekend when my right knee started clicking more while bending. I also noticed during a 5 and 12 mile run how I really wasn't feeling my right quad. That said, no swelling, no pain, and I was still able to keep my regular pace.

I saw my Doctor earlier this week. She told me it's not setting properly when it bends. Her words, "It's slightly off" She also suggested I reduce the miles this week by half and follow up if it persists. I have reduced and ran 5 miles Wens. No issue, kept pace, just feels off. Today I reached out to her office today to get info on seeing an orthopedic.

So I just wanted to see if anyone here had any similar issues in the past. I'm not freaking out yet, but I am concerned. I am frustrated that I have to let off the gas this late in training. I'm also worried I could potentially damage it forever. Running this marathon has become so much of my life and it's really depressing to think it might not happen now.

Well done for signing up! My marathon was so exciting so I get why you're stressed. I had 2 injuries whilst training- pull my groin and IT band issues.

Not had that specific knee problem but it's always better to rest it if you can. I know you'll stress but you honestly won't lose any fitness and would be better to rest for a week now than need 2 weeks from pushing. What's the furthest you've run so far? I managed 23 before my marathon.

From a personal point of view I've found that when I get close to a running event i sometimes get in my own head and feel injuries that aren't even flaring up again. I'm not saying you're doing this now but be prepared the nights leading up to the race you'll probably feel like there is a problem and it'll be in your head.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Regarding knee pain. I run with old knee injuries - medial meniscus tear and ruptured ACL, both on my left leg and both occurred from the same incident 20 odd years ago. Because of those, I get two problems when running. A sharp pain on occasion, usually on trail when I land poorly. I can typically recover by walking it out for a few seconds then carry on. A dull creak causing me not to straighten out my leg enough when I land (causing a shorter step on one side). I can feel that one come on and I mentally have to remind myself to kick out when swinging my leg back under me. I have once hurt my knee when trying to alleviate a blister causing hot spot I could feel in my foot by landing on the side of my foot - bad idea. Because of those old injuries I never thought I'd run, but dedication to physio and strengthening the supporting muscles has worked so far.

As for advice, I agree with pbsapeer. Mentally your first Marathon will be tough. Keep calm, trust your training and listen to your body. You'll know if you need to ease up.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
2 weeks of illness forced my biggest gap in running for 2+ years. Felt incredible to get out again.

The first competition / event you attend after a training gap is so important. Like, for me, after a week of having a cold, getting back into running - i always have those delusions of "okay, all my endurance is gone. I can practically feel my leg muscles having vanished"
Then you do that one timed 5k or 10k event and you're like "Oh thank god, it's all still there!"

Any of y'all excited about the new AppleWatch?
I need to replace my Series 0 badly - and if i get it on release day (next Friday), i'll take it on its first HM just 2 days later. Psyched!

TheAquaticApe

Oct 25, 2017
What's the furthest you've run so far? I managed 23 before my marathon.

From a personal point of view I've found that when I get close to a running event i sometimes get in my own head and feel injuries that aren't even flaring up again. I'm not saying you're doing this now but be prepared the nights leading up to the race you'll probably feel like there is a problem and it'll be in your head.

I've run 20 miles twice during training. I was supposed to run another 20 miles this Sunday, but not now. I might run an easy 10 instead, but I'm still undecided. I have an appointment with a sports orthopedic on Monday now.

Keep calm, trust your training and listen to your body. You'll know if you need to ease up.

This is where I struggle the most. What exactly does listen to your body mean?

I always have some type of "pain" or discomfort when I run. For example, when I started to get into double digit miles I noticed the bottom of my left foot would hurt. I didn't take any extra days off and after a week it never happened again. Another time, both my quads were on fire during a 19 mile attempt. I had to stop at 17 and realized I didn't eat enough good carbs for that run. Hasn't been an issue since.

This morning I ran a quick 5, new shoes, above my marathon pace and I had some discomfort in the leg with the potential knee injury. Right below it on the shin. Yes it bothered me, but I could still run. I would stop if I was in excruciating pain, but I feel odd discomfort all the time. There's only ever been a few runs during all the training where I felt incredible.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
IThis morning I ran a quick 5, new shoes, above my marathon pace and I had some discomfort in the leg with the potential knee injury. Right below it on the shin. Yes it bothered me, but I could still run. I would stop if I was in excruciating pain, but I feel odd discomfort all the time. There's only ever been a few runs during all the training where I felt incredible.

The small pain here and there while running is a thing everyone has to some degree, it shouldn't be discarded but as you say it happens and you pretty much handle it case by case like you did there.
The most worrying ones are those who remains after you stop running, if it's still there the next day it becomes worrying, if it remains more it's definitely a case for concern.

TheAquaticApe

Oct 25, 2017
The small pain here and there while running is a thing everyone has to some degree, it shouldn't be discarded but as you say it happens and you pretty much handle it case by case like you did there.
The most worrying ones are those who remains after you stop running, if it's still there the next day it becomes worrying, if it remains more it's definitely a case for concern.

I've never heard it put like this before. This really helps a lot. Thank you. I'm glad I made the app for the Orthopedic then.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
I see it as minor aches such as in the Achilles tendon and general muscle soreness the day after a run mean an easier pace for the next run (no looking at pace during the run and whatever will be will be). Pain during a run means back off the pace and see if it subsides. If it doesn't, I ask myself "can I continue?" and "should I continue?". I'm may need to call it a day and find the shortest route to the car or home, or bail out and walk back.

And OMG at recovery time after a long race. I felt good for a week after my first marathon, then it hit like a tonne of bricks for two weeks. Heavy legs and susceptible to any bug my kids brought home. I ran a 1/2 marathon a week ago where I pushed myself hard and all my runs since have been slow. C'est la vie. Full recovery day today, no runs, no gym, just chilling with the kids.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats man, I'm jealous! Chicago is an amazing race and I hope to try to run it next year. Regarding the knee issue, I'd definitely start your taper now. You'd normally start tapering for Chicago next week anyway, so starting a week earlier shouldn't be a huge deal. Definitely give yourself time for your knee to get some rest and follow up with your doc. Personally if I were you I'd take my doctor's advice whilst also starting to taper and reduce mileage/intensity now. If you've been training properly anyway this shouldn't be much of an issue conditioning wise anyway luckily. Best of luck man, and keep us posted. Have a great time racing Chicago!

And OMG at recovery time after a long race. I felt good for a week after my first marathon, then it hit like a tonne of bricks for two weeks. Heavy legs and susceptible to any bug my kids brought home. I ran a 1/2 marathon a week ago where I pushed myself hard and all my runs since have been slow. C'est la vie. Full recovery day today, no runs, no gym, just chilling with the kids.
Real talk. I was running 12 miles on a Thursday, 6 on a Friday, and 18 on a Saturday feeling good leading up to my marathon. Two weeks after my first marathon today and I still can't put in back to back 6 mile days. I'll feel okay after a rest day for a 6 mile run, but then the next day even if I feel great energy wise, my legs just feel like wet noodles and my pace goes nowhere. At least pain wise I'm fine, but I really must of messed up my legs pushing myself hahaha.

It sucks too because I just picked up Pegasus Turbos as my new workhorse running shoe to replace my Pegasus 33, but the softness of the ZoomX/React mixed with my legs still feeling like crap makes me not like the shoe currently (which is driving me nuts because I just dropped $180 on them!) and preferring the rigidity offered by the 33.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
It sucks too because I just picked up Pegasus Turbos as my new workhorse running shoe to replace my Pegasus 33, but the softness of the ZoomX/React mixed with my legs still feeling like crap makes me not like the shoe currently (which is driving me nuts because I just dropped $180 on them!) and preferring the rigidity offered by the 33.
Damn I've got some Pegasus 35s but not the zoom version and they're my new trainers but not used them yet (saving for when I fly to Vegas for holidays in the near future).
Hopefully they're not as bad as you're saying - I'm coming from some NB 1080 fresh foam

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a pair of 35s and really like them.

But my 32s kind of got warn into the ground and never felt the same after I did a adventure race in them lol.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I've got some Pegasus 35s but not the zoom version and they're my new trainers but not used them yet (saving for when I fly to Vegas for holidays in the near future).
Hopefully they're not as bad as you're saying - I'm coming from some NB 1080 fresh foam
The 35 is a great shoe, definitely a workhorse like the standard Pegasus line. The new Pegasus Turbo though replaces the Zoom pocket in the Pegasus 35 with ZoomX and React, so it's a bit softer and offers better energy return. It's all preference if you prefer a more rigid and responsive shoe or a softer/bouncier shoe when running. I've always previously went with rigid and responsive so this is my first time running with a softer material. I'm going to give it a few more runs before I hand out a verdict on the Turbos though, and luckily with Nike you have 30 days to return a shoe regardless of the mileage you put on it (as long as they aren't totally destroyed haha). Nonetheless the Turbo is still a great shoe, it's just that I think the marketing made it sound like more of a revolutionary shoe than what it actually was in my opinion (plus a ton of reviewers love it, so like all shoes it's down to personal preference).

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
The 35 is a great shoe, definitely a workhorse like the standard Pegasus line. The new Pegasus Turbo though replaces the Zoom pocket in the Pegasus 35 with ZoomX and React, so it's a bit softer and offers better energy return. It's all preference if you prefer a more rigid and responsive shoe or a softer/bouncier shoe when running. I've always previously went with rigid and responsive so this is my first time running with a softer material. I'm going to give it a few more runs before I hand out a verdict on the Turbos though, and luckily with Nike you have 30 days to return a shoe regardless of the mileage you put on it (as long as they aren't totally destroyed haha). Nonetheless the Turbo is still a great shoe, it's just that I think the marketing made it sound like more of a revolutionary shoe than what it actually was in my opinion (plus a ton of reviewers love it, so like all shoes it's down to personal preference).
Sounds good.
I must say I've never really noticed rigid Vs softer shoes so wonder if there is must difference between my current and these.

Funny Face

Dec 5, 2017
It's my first time visiting this thread in over a month, I think. Great to read about all of the successes people have had since then.

As for me, I'm still gunning for a sub-17:00 5K by the end of the running season. I have a race next Saturday and want to hit sub-17:30. My track work yesterday went quite well yesterday despite the persisting heat and humidity: 5:30 first mile, 5:31 second mile, 5:38 third mile.

My plan for the race is to go out in 5:30 and then hold under 5:45 for miles 2 and 3. Hopefully the weather will break soon thereafter, and I can push towards my final goal.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
Sub 1.30 at Copenhagen Half marathon earlier today! (lowish 1.29)

Really satisfied since this was one of my goals for this year. Previous PR was lowish 1.32 from 2017.

This was the first time i ran this track and I would rank it about the same as Berlin half in terms of flattness/speed (read perfect track for chances to PR).

What's left for me now this year is a serious sub 40 attempt in about 4 weeks time on a flat track/race competition. Current PR is 40.44 from 2017.

Last edited:

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Finished my first half marathon at the Susquehanna Running Festival yesterday! Took me 02:30 which is pretty terrible, but my only goals for my first half we're to:
  1. Not die.
  2. Finish under the time limit.
  3. Do the whole thing without stopping too walk
And I managed to do all three of those so I'm pretty happy about that. I also definitely think I can do a lot better the next time I run one of these. I think I need to manage my pace better at the beginning of the race and be more intentional about my diet the week before the race.

I think I will try and do another one next Spring.

Overall, I feel accomplished for finishing and I'm excited to continue to improve in the future :)

Last edited:

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Sub 1.30 at Copenhagen Half marathon earlier today! (lowish 1.29)

Really satisfied since this was one of my goals for this year. Previous PR was lowish 1.32 from 2017.

This was the first time i ran this track and I would rank it about the same as Berlin half in terms of flattness/speed (read perfect track for chances to PR).

What's left for me now this year is a serious sub 40 attempt in about 4 weeks time on a flat track/race competition. Current PR is 40.44 from 2017.
Amazing .Well done! I might start some half marathons next year. Would love to get a time like yours.
Finished my first half marathon at the Susquehanna Running Festival yesterday! Took me 02:30 which is pretty terrible, but my only goals for my first half we're to:
  1. Not die.
  2. Finish under the time limit.
  3. Do the whole thing without stopping too walk
And I managed to do all three of those so I'm pretty happy about that. I also definitely think I can do a lot better the next time I run one of these. I think I need to manage my pace better at the beginning of the race and be more intentional about my diet the week before the race.

I think I will try and do another one next Spring.

Overall, I feel accomplished for finishing and I'm excited to continue to improve in the future :)
Well done pal. You didn't die and got a respectable time! Plus you can try and best it next time!!!

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Did my event on the weekend.
Kicked my ass, truly kicked it.
First half went ok (aimed for 3 hrs to first checkpoint, hit it at 3.05) and was feeling ok, but second half killed me, purely just survival (quite literally at times, the ridges were dangerous)
Made it with 18 mins to spare for cut off.
Was just too hard for me really.

Screenshot_20180916_071932.png

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Did my event on the weekend.
Kicked my ass, truly kicked it.
First half went ok (aimed for 3 hrs to first checkpoint, hit it at 3.05) and was feeling ok, but second half killed me, purely just survival (quite literally at times, the ridges were dangerous)
Made it with 18 mins to spare for cut off.
Was just too hard for me really.

Screenshot_20180916_071932.png
Was this that crazy skyrace mentioned earlier in the thread? Either way, congratulations on getting it done. I'm slowly pushing myself to do more elevation, but I'm not keen to throw myself into the deep end. This one in March has me interested, but I'm not sure I can get the time in to train enough to commit to it.
Motatapu-Map-Ultra-Run-12Jan.jpg

For now, I have a less daunting 30km trail event lined up. Course recon and simulation completed last Sunday. Bring it on!

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I'm dealing with my first running injury and it's frustrating as hell. It happened about a month ago, pain on the outside of my left knee. Almost positive it's an IT band issue. I can feel it rubbing against the bone and becoming inflamed and painful during a run. I've been resting it and I recently starting doing IT band release exercises with rubber and foam balls, trying to stretch out the muscles the IT band is connected to (TFL, Quads, Glutes). There's a noticeable knot on the outside of my quad that I've been trying to release. I'm assuming the tightness in my quad is pulling on the IT band which is causing it to rub on my bones and lead to the inflammation. Yesterday I went for a light jog to test it out and see if my exercises were helping and it went great, there was no pain..but unfortunately the pain kicked in after my run. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and hoping they can do something to help release this friggin' knot or give me anti-inflammatory meds. I have a 5K coming up (Sep 30) and I do this specific one every year and if I can't do it I'm gonna be bummed.

I bought some new running shoes as a pick-me-up and since my old pair was getting a bit run down. I went with the Brooks Launch 5 and with the little I have run in them, they seen to be great. I also picked up a pair of Asics Roadhawk FF. The newer model just came out so I picked these up for only 40 bucks. I wore them yesterday and they're light, firm, and make you feel fast (although the ventilation wasn't the best and my feet got a little warm). The Brooks by comparison are a bit softer and springier (and a tad heavier). Both seem like really solid shoes and I'll be wearing both once I get my knee issue sorted out.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm slow as molasses, but I'm happy that speed training seems to be working. During my 5k on Saturday, I hit my fastest per mile time at 11:53, which is a big improvement from my usual 13:00 per mile time.

TheAquaticApe

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to give an update after seeing the orthopedic today.

They did an XRay and everything looked good. The doctor wants an MRI now and suggested it could be a stress fracture. If that's the case - 6 months with some type of boot cast.

So, I'm just trying to be optimistic right now while I wait to set up the MRI this week. I'm not going to lie, I cried in my car in the orthopedic parking lot.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I'm dealing with my first running injury and it's frustrating as hell. It happened about a month ago, pain on the outside of my left knee. Almost positive it's an IT band issue. I can feel it rubbing against the bone and becoming inflamed and painful during a run. I've been resting it and I recently starting doing IT band release exercises with rubber and foam balls, trying to stretch out the muscles the IT band is connected to (TFL, Quads, Glutes). There's a noticeable knot on the outside of my quad that I've been trying to release. I'm assuming the tightness in my quad is pulling on the IT band which is causing it to rub on my bones and lead to the inflammation. Yesterday I went for a light jog to test it out and see if my exercises were helping and it went great, there was no pain..but unfortunately the pain kicked in after my run. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and hoping they can do something to help release this friggin' knot or give me anti-inflammatory meds. I have a 5K coming up (Sep 30) and I do this specific one every year and if I can't do it I'm gonna be bummed.

I bought some new running shoes as a pick-me-up and since my old pair was getting a bit run down. I went with the Brooks Launch 5 and with the little I have run in them, they seen to be great. I also picked up a pair of Asics Roadhawk FF. The newer model just came out so I picked these up for only 40 bucks. I wore them yesterday and they're light, firm, and make you feel fast (although the ventilation wasn't the best and my feet got a little warm). The Brooks by comparison are a bit softer and springier (and a tad heavier). Both seem like really solid shoes and I'll be wearing both once I get my knee issue sorted out.
I've had some IT band issues in my right knee. I used to stretch the IT band and used a foam roller and it never got any better. Everytime I'd try to up my milage it would flair up.
The only thing that has helped me, is doing knee dips on stairs (full weight on one knee just hands on bannister for balance, then next knee). Reps of 20 and doing it 3 times a day when I don't run and twice a day if I've run that day. Touch wood I've not had any issue since but I've been doing them solidly for over a year now. My knee muscles are noticeably stronger and I'd suggest you do this in both knees too.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I'm slow as molasses, but I'm happy that speed training seems to be working. During my 5k on Saturday, I hit my fastest per mile time at 11:53, which is a big improvement from my usual 13:00 per mile time.
Keep it up pal. That's a massive improvement.
Just wanted to give an update after seeing the orthopedic today.

They did an XRay and everything looked good. The doctor wants an MRI now and suggested it could be a stress fracture. If that's the case - 6 months with some type of boot cast.

So, I'm just trying to be optimistic right now while I wait to set up the MRI this week. I'm not going to lie, I cried in my car in the orthopedic parking lot.
Hoping it's not a stress fracture for you. Keep us in the loop

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Hi guys,

are there any smartwatches that let me add custom intervalls? I currently use my iPhone while running to let me know when to run and when to slow down a bit, but I would kinda like to let my phone at my place while running.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Equinox24 time again this weekend! Managed 15 laps (150k) last year, way more than I hoped for despite some stupid mistakes and 4 hours of sleep and pure walking in the middle. Had a big plan for doing it so much better this time, but being out for 5 months in the first part of the year meant I never got to the point of doing any endurance training at all, I think I've run a half distance twice since then. I'm telling myself it's all about mental strength and I'll be fine :) tbh, the strength training I did while injured, despite being pretty low effort and gradual, does seem to have helped me with core strength and my upper legs feel and look more like a proper runners than my previous pins haha. Proof of this in lopping 30 secs of my local hilly parkrun to finally sub-20 it and sniping a couple of seconds off my 5k PB at south manchester parkrun without actually going for it and leaving my watch at home. Just wish I'd have a month or two more to get back up on the moors!

Anyway, I've bought a load of biscuits, badboy king pot noodles and popcorn, and I'm there with more than a dozen club-mates so I'll have a fucking blast whatever happens.

Thanks to this thread, added to the top of my things to do list:

Sound advice.

dat avatar doe... struggling to speak this morning, sore throat for roaring at that one after promising the wife I'd stfu and let her sleep :D

ps, stockport 10k at the weekend, a hilly, twisty, bizarre route the like of which I've never run before (closed roads, open roads, parks, fields, around a bowling green, back alley... about 1 in 3 entrants from my club, we owned it!

stockport10k-all98dd3.jpg

Not all of us there, we had 200+ runners. I'm the banana at the back with twin peace signs next to Pikachhu!

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Would people recommend joining a local running club?

I have been running on and off for 6 years or so now, but this is probably my longest stretch of solid running at least every week (been doing a Parkrun almost every week since March) and try to do 2-4 runs per week. Moved from 27min 5k back in March to 22min now, way more than I thought I was capable of.

In the last couple of months I have started varying my training. Hill sprints and 10ks rather than just a 5k every time I run. But I think to push me on to the next level, especially taking me through the darker and colder winter - it would probably help to join a local club. A dream would be to be sub-20min sometime next year, something I never thought I could achieve, but now i'm starting to believe I could get there eventually.

My closest club is, I think, Herne Hill Harriers - which I believe is a pretty big club. I have browsed their website, but can't find an obvious way to sort of try it out? I assume you can turn up for a session or something before paying your annual membership? Would people recommend it? I have only ever done self directed running, which is probably a bit rubbish, so doing it with others and getting advice would probably do me a world of good.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
I find a running group helps. It makes it a bit more social and gets me through two runs a week without me having to think about it. They definitely push me to be better.

If you're looking for local clubs/groups to try out, I'd ask at your local running store and flick the local clubs an email asking if you could rock up for a session and let them know your goals (say an event or time you'd like to achieve in the next 3-6 months) to see if they think you'd be a good fit.

Last edited:

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys,

are there any smartwatches that let me add custom intervalls? I currently use my iPhone while running to let me know when to run and when to slow down a bit, but I would kinda like to let my phone at my place while running.
If you're already using an iPhone I'd highly recommend an Apple Watch. Not cheap, but no good quality GPS watch is anyway so it's that big of a deal in my opinion. All Apple Watches from Series 2 onward have built in GPS functionality so you can leave your phone behind. As long as whatever app you're using on your phone has an Apple Watch app you should be good to go.

Personally I use the Apple Watch Series 2 Nike+ edition and I love it. I never carry my phone around and it's great being able to run without needing anything else but my keys and my watch. The new Apple Watch Series 4 is about to come out this Friday in a lot of countries so if you are interested I'd recommend you check out an Apple Store this weekend to check them out in person (but FYI it's going to be PACKED with the new iPhone and Watch release).

Otherwise I unfortunately can't speak for other smart watches...

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
What is the biggest race you all have raced in?

I did a 5K in June that had 1,300+ people, and it was really fun to be a part of. I think I'd have to travel out of state to find a more popular race.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would people recommend joining a local running club?

I have been running on and off for 6 years or so now, but this is probably my longest stretch of solid running at least every week (been doing a Parkrun almost every week since March) and try to do 2-4 runs per week. Moved from 27min 5k back in March to 22min now, way more than I thought I was capable of.

In the last couple of months I have started varying my training. Hill sprints and 10ks rather than just a 5k every time I run. But I think to push me on to the next level, especially taking me through the darker and colder winter - it would probably help to join a local club. A dream would be to be sub-20min sometime next year, something I never thought I could achieve, but now i'm starting to believe I could get there eventually.

My closest club is, I think, Herne Hill Harriers - which I believe is a pretty big club. I have browsed their website, but can't find an obvious way to sort of try it out? I assume you can turn up for a session or something before paying your annual membership? Would people recommend it? I have only ever done self directed running, which is probably a bit rubbish, so doing it with others and getting advice would probably do me a world of good.
It probably helps for accountability. I just can't get my schedule consistently set up enough to make joining a club worthwhile.

I did a 5K in June that had 1,300+ people, and it was really fun to be a part of. I think I'd have to travel out of state to find a more popular race.

Probably one of the NYRR races, most likely the Brooklyn Half.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Probably Paris marathon 40k+ runners, I think the upper limit is around that everywhere in the world, thankfully.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I've had some IT band issues in my right knee. I used to stretch the IT band and used a foam roller and it never got any better. Everytime I'd try to up my milage it would flair up.
The only thing that has helped me, is doing knee dips on stairs (full weight on one knee just hands on bannister for balance, then next knee). Reps of 20 and doing it 3 times a day when I don't run and twice a day if I've run that day. Touch wood I've not had any issue since but I've been doing them solidly for over a year now. My knee muscles are noticeably stronger and I'd suggest you do this in both knees too.
I plan on strengthening the muscles around my knee for sure. The doc gave me a prescription of Melioxicam and I just went for a four mile run and no pain at all, so that's good. My feet and calves hurt like heck since I haven't run that far in over four weeks but no IT band inflammation. I can at least start to run on a more consistent basis and build up my leg strength and stamina while still continuing to work this pesky knot in my quad. The meds fix the symptom but I still need to un-stick this darn IT Band from my quad.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I plan on strengthening the muscles around my knee for sure. The doc gave me a prescription of Melioxicam and I just went for a four mile run and no pain at all, so that's good. My feet and calves hurt like heck since I haven't run that far in over four weeks but no IT band inflammation. I can at least start to run on a more consistent basis and build up my leg strength and stamina while still continuing to work this pesky knot in my quad. The meds fix the symptom but I still need to un-stick this darn IT Band from my quad.
Sounds like you've got it sorted which is great :)

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Ran my furthest distance ever yesterday (13.1 miles). I'm happy I was able to cross a threshold like that, but good god am I sore today.

Does anybody have a good metric on how much one should eat before running that kind of distance? I read online you can suffer heart health issues if you don't properly fuel up enough before a distance run but am not sure how I should be eating. The thing is I usually avoid eating until later in the day so oh my typical runs I just drink a bottle of water before going out. In this case I had 34oz of water and a protein bar (230 calories/23g protein).

Priester

Oct 27, 2017
pbsapeer weird to see someone so close to me on Era (I lurk usually don't post) - saw you mentioned ellesmere and had to check the 10k date you did to see if was the same.

Anyways, are you doing the Farndon 10k coming up soon?

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
pbsapeer weird to see someone so close to me on Era (I lurk usually don't post) - saw you mentioned ellesmere and had to check the 10k date you did to see if was the same.

Anyways, are you doing the Farndon 10k coming up soon?
Wait does this mean I have a stalker?! Haha only messing.
The Ellesmere 10k was a great one. Bit wet but nice and flat! Did you do it?
Not doing the farndon one - tbh didn't know it was on. But I'll be doing the Flintshire 10k the week after!

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Ran my furthest distance ever yesterday (13.1 miles). I'm happy I was able to cross a threshold like that, but good god am I sore today.

Does anybody have a good metric on how much one should eat before running that kind of distance? I read online you can suffer heart health issues if you don't properly fuel up enough before a distance run but am not sure how I should be eating. The thing is I usually avoid eating until later in the day so oh my typical runs I just drink a bottle of water before going out. In this case I had 34oz of water and a protein bar (230 calories/23g protein).

If you are eating properly throughout the week I wouldn't worry too much about eating right before running. In fact, when I'm not running fasted I always like to have at least a couple of hours between my last meal and training session/race.

Looks like the protein bar and water didn't upset your stomach so that gives you a solid starting point to find out what your body likes/doesn't like before exerting itself.

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm two weeks from finishing up the Couch to 5K program. Starting to look at Bridge to 10k. Does anyone have experience with it, and if so, what did you think?

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I'm two weeks from finishing up the Couch to 5K program. Starting to look at Bridge to 10k. Does anyone have experience with it, and if so, what did you think?
Congratulations!
It's a really good program and the uptake in the UK has been really good I think. Honestly once you've done the 5k program I would just keep up 5k runs and maybe extend the odd one here or there by 2k and just see how you feel. You'd be surprised the stamina you'll gain from running 4 times a week. I've not done a bridging to 10k thing before but sure you'd get there on your own. Good luck!!!

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a bad idea to get back to running right after cold symptoms go away? Downtime is two days already and i feel pretty bad about that...

I guess running in shorts at 11-12pm at 10С temp was a bad idea... either that or my first ever 16km run just killed me.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Rather than distance the more telling thing is time and intensity.
Most runners have some kind of milestone where they consider it's
1) not worth eating more than usual before
2) worth eating a bit more than usual before but not worth eating during the run
3) worth eating more than usual before + eating during the run

All of that depends on your weight/fitness, as an example these are my approximate thresholds below
1) <40mn intensity run <1h00 normal pace run
2) <1h intensity run <1h30 normal pace run
3) >1h intensity run >1h30 normal pace run

And about the food itself there's always a 1h30 gap between eating something and running if it's a slow pace run and 2-3h if it's a fast one. Since I mostly run at lunch break, I add a banana to my breakfast eat a bit more oats so carbs mainly, maybe a plain yogurt and that's it, it's not good to be too stuffed with the meal before your run, food is something you should take care of on a more regular basis with a little extra at some meals occasionally. The essential thing is to be comfortable about it and listen to your body if you feel too weak/weaker than usual after a run.