• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HEY!

First ever marathon this weekend. Cant wait. My goal is simply to finish as close to 4 hours as I can.

Awesome! I hope you can report back on how things went. Everybody's first marathon is an experience that will always be special to them, whether it goes well or poorly or in between. (My first marathon was my worst by far, but it was still a milestone). What event are you doing?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I hope you can report back on how things went. Everybody's first marathon is an experience that will always be special to them, whether it goes well or poorly or in between. (My first marathon was my worst by far, but it was still a milestone). What event are you doing?

Dublin marathon. Over 35km is still no mans land for me so it's gonna be a interesting one.

Also daylight savings happens Sunday morning so I get a extra hour sleep the night before which is pretty sweet.

Oct 27, 2017
Signed up for a 10k on thanksgiving. I've done 3 runs so far get ready my metatarsal hurts more each time! Right above the ball of my foot, but I feel the pain more on the top than where you would expect on the impact side of the foot. I dropped something heavy right there about 6 months ago and could barely walk and had it x-rayed at the time. They said it was a bone bruise but I'm thinking it has to be something worse.

This isn't a common area to get foot pain from running, is it?

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Finally found my way here, hope everyone else can too in the near future.

So my third marathon is finally tomorrow, I was so regular in my training in the past few months that now my main worry is that I may not have taken enough rest :'(

Also to add some challenge, the marathon will happen right when a typhoon hits Japan (it's in Yokohama), so it will rain during the whole race, meteo is telling me 6-36mm but I have no idea what it means, temperature will be between 12-15° so... could have been worse I guess.

Start is also at 8:30AM and it's mandatory to be there before 8AM which is at least one hour early than every other race I did so far, considering I use to sleep around 1AM and getting there will take me around 1h that will make a short night before the race, oh well.

DaveTheSnake

Oct 27, 2017
California
Pfitzinger's is the best cookie cutter plan for serious amateurs. Which version are you using?

Those mid-week mid-longs are great for building marathon specific endurance.

Two things to watch out with Pfitzinger though: don't run your race in your last long run or the tune-up workouts near the end of the cycle. You'll feel better than ever with the mileage going down but you need to feel your best on race day. Be sure to properly recover after the cycle too, the plan is good at making you run in tired state. It's very taxing, especially if it's your first time with Pfitz.

I agree that Pfitz is one of the best plans that lays out practically all of your runs through the plan. This will be my 3rd time through, going with the 18/85 mile per week plan. Training has been good so far, ran into some Plantar Fascitis issues in September, and had to take a week off and then almost 2-3 weeks to get back on track. Also, the mid-week, mid-long runs go so far with building endurance, you are right. It's just so difficult to squeeze in 2-2.5 hours in the morning, during the week.

I will agree with you that the most difficult aspect of this program, as with any programs, is nailing that taper.

DaveTheSnake

Oct 27, 2017
California
Finally found my way here, hope everyone else can too in the near future.

So my third marathon is finally tomorrow, I was so regular in my training in the past few months that now my main worry is that I may not have taken enough rest :'(

Also to add some challenge, the marathon will happen right when a typhoon hits Japan (it's in Yokohama), so it will rain during the whole race, meteo is telling me 6-36mm but I have no idea what it means, temperature will be between 12-15° so... could have been worse I guess.

Start is also at 8:30AM and it's mandatory to be there before 8AM which is at least one hour early than every other race I did so far, considering I use to sleep around 1AM and getting there will take me around 1h that will make a short night before the race, oh well.

Good luck tomorrow!

Big Wazu

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Started running again not too long ago after having been sick a good while.

Managed to run a little over 1.5 miles in 10 minutes. Nothing too crazy, but I'm happy with it. What I plan to do is increase my distance a tenth of a mile every week.

Currently running 5 days a week.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Signed up for a 10k on thanksgiving. I've done 3 runs so far get ready my metatarsal hurts more each time! Right above the ball of my foot, but I feel the pain more on the top than where you would expect on the impact side of the foot. I dropped something heavy right there about 6 months ago and could barely walk and had it x-rayed at the time. They said it was a bone bruise but I'm thinking it has to be something worse.

This isn't a common area to get foot pain from running, is it?

Is it painful right away or only after running for a bit? Probably best to get it checked out though if it is getting worse.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Race cancelled due to the typhoon.
17000y, 3 months of training, and 1 week of eating pasta&rice to the point it hurts... all of that for next to nothing T_T

Oct 27, 2017
Is it painful right away or only after running for a bit? Probably best to get it checked out though if it is getting worse.

Only after running for a bit and then for the rest of the day. After a day of rest it feels mostly fine until I start the next run. I'll try one more run and then get it checked out. It's not like I'm going real far, just 3 miles or so most days so I don't think I'll mess anything up too bad in the meantime.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Awe man thats gutting!!!

Yeah :(
First time something like that happened for me, what's even more furstrating is that I already missed a race in May (an olympic distance Triathlon) due to an injury.

Gotta find a 10k or a half asap, I trained in order to get the best time out of a marathon but that should still be decent for a half I hope.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Only after running for a bit and then for the rest of the day. After a day of rest it feels mostly fine until I start the next run. I'll try one more run and then get it checked out. It's not like I'm going real far, just 3 miles or so most days so I don't think I'll mess anything up too bad in the meantime.

Defo worth getting checked out - might just not have healed yet.

Yeah :(
First time something like that happened for me, what's even more furstrating is that I already missed a race in May (an olympic distance Triathlon) due to an injury.

Gotta find a 10k or a half asap, I trained in order to get the best time out of a marathon but that should still be decent for a half I hope.

Hope you get something sorted soon, easiest way to put everything behind you hopefully.

slow-twitch

Oct 25, 2017
Race cancelled due to the typhoon.
17000y, 3 months of training, and 1 week of eating pasta&rice to the point it hurts... all of that for next to nothing T_T

It's unfortunate but you did not do that for nothing. You are more fit than ever. Find another race soon and go all out. Run on pure rage.

Although you really should not eat to the point it hurts. It's detrimental if you feel bloated or weight 3 more pounds on race day. Eating what you're used to on higher mileage during the super low mileage week before the marathon is enough to fill the muscles and liver with glycogen. The day before eat 80-10-10 carbs-protein-fat with focus on high glycemic carbs.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I run 5 days per week (on my way to my boxing gym) a distance of approx 10 miles, i just started adding running backwards, running in a diagonal direction, alternating running to my left and then to my right (all this while throwing punches). It's fairly taxing but i love it, can't wait to reap the rewards in the ring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wew just finished a cold weather 11 miler. went pretty well all and all but it was a bit of a shock to the system. We are now up to 27 Runners in the Strava group! Keep up the good work everyone!

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Hope you get something sorted soon, easiest way to put everything behind you hopefully.

Yep best thing to do is moving forward, I mean one day or another these kind of things had to happen, I wished it was for something smaller but it's just out of our hands.

Sorry to hear! Are there any marathons coming up soon that you could keep training for?

Usually marathons are races where you have to register months in advance, at least from my experience, I will check but I don't expect to find anything for this year, maybe a half if I'm lucky or a 10k instead, but that's not what I trained for both in term of motivation and of physical training.

It's unfortunate but you did not do that for nothing. You are more fit than ever. Find another race soon and go all out. Run on pure rage.

Although you really should not eat to the point it hurts. It's detrimental if you feel bloated or weight 3 more pounds on race day. Eating what you're used to on higher mileage during the super low mileage week before the marathon is enough to fill the muscles and liver with glycogen. The day before eat 80-10-10 carbs-protein-fat with focus on high glycemic carbs.

It was a a bit of an overstatement due to my dissapointment, it's a small digestive problem rather than really hurting, since moving in Japan I have some problems on that front anyway (wayyyy too much rice here and I used to barely eat any before, like once or twice a week).
I'll try to find something else, but I don't think I will run on rage, that's not my temperament :p

Thanks all anyway, hope I can find something for November and will keep you updated if so. :)

Cystm

Just found this and wanted to say thanks for putting that rad OP together. I've started running regularly just recently and have had issues with shin splints. The information in the OP helped me realign my work rate. After being stagnate for so long, my body needs more time to get back to where I want it to be.

Joined the Strava group as well

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Finally found you guys. Took awhile to make my way here. Been sick for almost 3 weeks... Have a half marathon coming up in 2 weeks, it's gonna be a mess.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Ran a 10K today and managed to finish in 40:05. It should have been a lower time if not for a random guy falling down right at the outset and taking down some of us with him.

rdam

Oct 26, 2017
Ran my first ever 10k Race today, landed at 57:37.

Only been running since Feb this year and wasn't expecting any races as such until next year earliest but squeezed this one. Delighted, cant wait to do more now!

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'll be continuing lots more 10ks over the winter just by myself. There's a half marathon in March but too early- may work towards one in September perhaps.

One of my friends did the same 10k today in under 45mins, so id like to get a bit closer to that kind of time!

Yeah key is to maintain a good base. I ducked that up over the summer this year. I'm going to shoot for a 25-30mile base during the winter.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post 1th Marathon write up.

That sure was a thing.

I picked up some "performance underwear" at the expo. Also there where Scientologists there which was ... concerning.

Anyway onto the race. Couldnt have been more perfect conditions. Partelly cloudy and a wee bit chilly. Very nice weather.

Crowd was great. Lots of people out cheering. Lots of fun characters in the race.

Those wheelchair racers are fucking superhuman. Those guys digging deep whenever a hill was there was a sight to see. And then on the other end they come flying past you on the downhills.

As for my performance it could have gone better.. My strategy going on was to take it easy enough and simply try averaging 10km per hour and finish in the mid 4:10s and a bit lower if I had the stuff left in the tank near the end.

I was on track. I did a sub 2hr to get to half marathon but around the 32km mark my knee really starts hurting in a way I never had it hurt running before and so that last few km basically became a serine of stops and starts and my pace dropped to around the 7min/km mark for the rest of the race.

More then likely it was my lack of conditioning at that distance getting to me.

Anyway finished strong enough and managed to get this together for the final mile and went to the pub for a pint and a meal.

Here is a link to my strava

https://www.strava.com/activities/1252131848#kudos

I will probably be taking it a little easy now since I have nothing coming up but I hope to work in a lot more 30km and up long runs into my routine

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That sure was a thing.

I picked up some "performance underwear" at the expo. Also there where Scientologists there which was ... concerning.

Anyway onto the race. Couldnt have been more perfect conditions. Partelly cloudy and a wee bit chilly. Very nice weather.

Crowd was great. Lots of people out cheering. Lots of fun characters in the race.

Those wheelchair racers are fucking superhuman. Those guys digging deep whenever a hill was there was a sight to see. And then on the other end they come flying past you on the downhills.

As for my performance it could have gone better.. My strategy going on was to take it easy enough and simply try averaging 10km per hour and finish in the mid 4:10s and a bit lower if I had the stuff left in the tank near the end.

I was on track. I did a sub 2hr to get to half marathon but around the 32km mark my knee really starts hurting in a way I never had it hurt running before and so that last few km basically became a serine of stops and starts and my pace dropped to around the 7min/km mark for the rest of the race.

Anyway finished strong enough and managed to get this together for the final mile and went to the pub for a pint and a meal.

I will probably be taking it a little easy now since I have nothing coming up but I hope to work in a lot more 30km and up long runs into my routine
Congratulations! That first marathon finish is a huge milestone. Enjoy your recovery.

titch

Oct 25, 2017

That sure was a thing.

Congrats man well done

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

That sure was a thing.

Congrats on your first finish! Now welcome to the addiction club. I'm sure you'll plan your next one soon. :)

Going to put some junk miles in on the dreadmill tonight since I skipped my Thursday run. Hoping to hit 34 miles for the week.

zanderace64

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, I've been a runner for the last few years and try to get out most days. On Strava, so will join the club.

Currently working abroad, so unfortunately most of my running this year has been restricted to the hotel treadmill. It's too hot and the roads are too dangerous around where I am to get outside much. Still, I'm managing to get a consistent 30-40 miles a week in. I'm entered for London Marathon next year and get back to the UK end of January, so will hopefully have time to get some quality miles in leading up to it :)

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hi guys, I've been a runner for the last few years and try to get out most days. On Strava, so will join the club.

Currently working abroad, so unfortunately most of my running this year has been restricted to the hotel treadmill. It's too hot and the roads are too dangerous around where I am to get outside much. Still, I'm managing to get a consistent 30-40 miles a week in. I'm entered for London Marathon next year and get back to the UK end of January, so will hopefully have time to get some quality miles in leading up to it :)

Don't worry you have a solid base. Try to get out on the road soon though so you can acclimate.

zanderace64

Oct 27, 2017
That's the plan. If I get up early enough on Sundays here I can run outside, so going to start adding in a weekly outdoor long run, whilst bringing my weekly mileage up to around 60 miles. Then from January, once marathon training starts in earnest, I'll be aiming to peak around 80 miles a week. Mainly looking forward to being able to run outside again.

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
runningERA runners! I wanted to congratulate you on a first good week!

We have grown to to 30 members already and are putting in some good mileage. If you haven't joined up yet please join the group and help us put some mileage in!

DaveTheSnake

Oct 27, 2017
California

That sure was a thing.

Congrats on your first marathon, and that is a great time! Enjoy the rest and recovery, it is well deserved.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Ran a 10K today and managed to finish in 40:05. It should have been a lower time if not for a random guy falling down right at the outset and taking down some of us with him.

Pretty good nevertheless, is that your PB?

Ran my first ever 10k Race today, landed at 57:37.

Only been running since Feb this year and wasn't expecting any races as such until next year earliest but squeezed this one. Delighted, cant wait to do more now!

That's it, you're never gonna stop now, on to faster and longer races :p

That sure was a thing.

Aw too bad on the knee, hard to predict this kind of thing, at some point something just snaps in the body and you have to deal with it until the end of the race :(
Congrats regardless, you've done it!

Did a bit intensive training today, considering my HR at the beginning I really was at my peak condition *sigh*, did a 10k at 40:40, I had room to be much faster than that (PB is 38:20 and I can probably aim at sub 38 now) but that wasn't a race so no point in taking the risk.
Didn't find a 10k or half, yet, hope I will soon.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good nevertheless, is that your PB?

Nope. The circumstances for a PB were ideal (I felt good physically and mentally) even though the circuit had a lot of 90-degree turns and quite a bit of up-and-downs (I wouldn't change it though, it's a beautiful circuit and since it's a smallish race people go out to cheer :D). Unfortunately there's only so much one can compensate for, and that setback at the start made me lose too much time.

Asukui

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just a baby runner trying to get back into it but I've bookmarked this thread for inspiration~

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So I totally forgot I have a half marathon this Sunday! This is my final practice half before the real thing in December. Unfortunately looks like weather will warm up and race time temp will in upper 60's to lower 70's. A little warmer than I was hoping.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
So I totally forgot I have a half marathon this Sunday! This is my final practice half before the real thing in December. Unfortunately looks like weather will warm up and race time temp will in upper 60's to lower 70's. A little warmer than I was hoping.

Are you training for a December full? If so, which one? Anyhow, gl on your half!