• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mudface90210

Oct 29, 2017
Hello- I just signed up to the Strava club, hope that's OK. Quick bit of background- I've been running for a couple of years after being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and putting on a couple of stone following steroid treatment.
I'll be 50 in December, and want to do at least one 10K next year and possibly start training for a half marathon, maybe around this time next year. I've got a 5K Mo-Running thing in Glasgow in a couple of weeks, and have managed to rope my youngest son into doing the kids' race, so that should be fun- I did it a couple of years ago and had a great time, so I'm looking forward to it.

After I started, I fairly quickly was running 5K in about 27-28 mins, but I found over the last 6 months or so that I just wasn't improving at all, and asked for advice in the other place. I was recommended to try running for longer at a steady pace rather than the shorter, faster runs I've been doing for a while, and to only start increasing my pace once I'd pushed my weekly distance up to 30 Km or so (I was only doing about 10-15 km per week up to now).

Sunday was an epiphany- I nearly didn't go out after having too much to drink the night before, but it was such a sunny, cool day I made myself go... and enjoyed myself immensely, probably for the first time in months. I ran just over 6 Km, didn't bother about the time (it was about 6:20 mins/ Km), and felt great all the way. I'm going to increase my weekly distances by 3-4 Km or so per week for a couple of months and then try and get some pace back into the runs. Being on Strava should keep me interested, so many thanks for setting the group up.

Crashmeister

Oct 25, 2017
Casablanca
Hey runningEra,

I've been running for a couple of years but just short 25 to 30 minutes runs occasionally to stay fit and healthy.. About three months ago i joined a group of experienced runners in a nearby park, and began to run more regularly and stepped it up to 45 to 1h runs.

Yesterday I did my second 10k race and did 50:28. It was Marathon international de Casablanca, they added the 10k distance this year for casual crowds.
Sadly the organization was awful for an international event in its 10th edition, noticeable lack of water stations and they way they distributed medals and kitbag was disastrous... And I keep reading some awful stories on social media, they ran out of medals and gave some full marathon finishers 10k medals.. The marathon course was only closed for temporarily and some marathoners had to run alongside traffic.. Their Facebook page is getting hammered with bad reviews.

Anyway looking forward to progress and try a semi marathon soon. Will keep sharing my progresses with you folks!

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hello- I just signed up to the Strava club, hope that's OK. Quick bit of background- I've been running for a couple of years after being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and putting on a couple of stone following steroid treatment.
I'll be 50 in December, and want to do at least one 10K next year and possibly start training for a half marathon, maybe around this time next year. I've got a 5K Mo-Running thing in Glasgow in a couple of weeks, and have managed to rope my youngest son into doing the kids' race, so that should be fun- I did it a couple of years ago and had a great time, so I'm looking forward to it.

After I started, I fairly quickly was running 5K in about 27-28 mins, but I found over the last 6 months or so that I just wasn't improving at all, and asked for advice in the other place. I was recommended to try running for longer at a steady pace rather than the shorter, faster runs I've been doing for a while, and to only start increasing my pace once I'd pushed my weekly distance up to 30 Km or so (I was only doing about 10-15 km per week up to now).

Sunday was an epiphany- I nearly didn't go out after having too much to drink the night before, but it was such a sunny, cool day I made myself go... and enjoyed myself immensely, probably for the first time in months. I ran just over 6 Km, didn't bother about the time (it was about 6:20 mins/ Km), and felt great all the way. I'm going to increase my weekly distances by 3-4 Km or so per week for a couple of months and then try and get some pace back into the runs. Being on Strava should keep me interested, so many thanks for setting the group up.

I want to make it clear ANYONE can join the club. We of runners of all shapes, sizes, and experiences in the club. We as a community are here to help. The advice you were given to build a base is good. This may be shocking but about 80% of your mileage should be run at an easy conversational pace. This is true for most runners. The other 20% is things like intervals, track, fartleks and other speed type work.

Anyways, glad to have you in the group!

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to run without ruining your knees? Or does that only happen to people run too often?

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What's the best way to run without ruining your knees? Or does that only happen to people run too often?

The knee damage thing is a myth. Newer studies show that running actually strengths everything so well it reduces the impact on your knees. I don't have the study saved but I will see if I can link it later. The best way not to injure yourself is to 1) Start slow 2) build a good base 3) tackle a goal 4)Wear the proper shoes. A C25K program would be perfect for a starting runner after a trip to a running store. A lot of people recommend post run stretching and even some strength training. The last sentence is something I am planning to begin in earnest as soon as possible.

Mudface90210

Oct 29, 2017
I want to make it clear ANYONE can join the club. We of runners of all shapes, sizes, and experiences in the club. We as a community are here to help. The advice you were given to build a base is good. This may be shocking but about 80% of your mileage should be run at an easy conversational pace. This is true for most runners. The other 20% is things like intervals, track, fartleks and other speed type work.

Anyways, glad to have you in the group!

Thanks man.

The bolded is very good to know, I'd been pretty much doing it the other way round and getting very discouraged....

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Thanks man.

The bolded is very good to know, I'd been pretty much doing it the other way round and getting very discouraged....

If you do the opposite your body will never have a chance to recover. So if you've felt sluggish that why. To give you perspective I am training for 1'40" HM and my schedule looks like this currently

Monday: Easy 4 miler (1 mile warmup.cooldown)
Tuesday: Varies (hill,track,interval or pace)
Wednesday: Recovery 4 miler or REST (1 mile warmup)
Thurdsay: Tempo/Easy 7 mile (1 mile warmup or cooldown).
Friday : Easy 4 miler (1 mile warmup.cooldown)
Saturday : Long run (8-12 miles, depends on day)
Sunday: Cross train 30-40 mins

Notice how many times the word "easy" is above. :) Using a similar approach I have gone from 2:20 PR to 1:43 in like a year.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Joining the crew! Getting back into running after a very long extended time off (lets just say a few years...)

Right now my strategy is three 3 mile runs a week. The area I live is very hilly so all 3 miles are up and down with a decent incline/decline. The worst part about getting back into running (besides the aches and pains!) is knowing your body isn't in is good of shape as it used to be. Previously I was an 8-10 mile a day runner (mind you 8 years ago) but got lazy after an ankle injury that sidelined me for 6 months.

The goal is to get back into shape to run three 6 mile runs a week. Not really looking for weight loss/body incentive, just want to get back into running again!

Would it be better to increase my miles running on hills by 10% a week or upping the mileage by 1 on one of my three runs a week (second week two runs upped a mile..etc)?

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Joining the crew! Getting back into running after a very long extended time off (lets just say a few years...)

Right now my strategy is three 3 mile runs a week. The area I live is very hilly so all 3 miles are up and down with a decent incline/decline. The worst part about getting back into running (besides the aches and pains!) is knowing your body isn't in is good of shape as it used to be. Previously I was an 8-10 mile a day runner (mind you 8 years ago) but got lazy after an ankle injury that sidelined me for 6 months.

The goal is to get back into shape to run three 6 mile runs a week. Not really looking for weight loss/body incentive, just want to get back into running again!

Would it be better to increase my miles running on hills by 10% a week or upping the mileage by 1 on one of my three runs a week (second week two runs upped a mile..etc)?

Welcome back to the world of running. There are a lot of points of view about what the correct way to increase mileage is. For someone not running for years I might recommend starting with a C25K program. If it's too easy you can skip ahead. I would strongly recommend you build up to being able to comfortably run 15 miles/week before looking into any real 5k/10k/etc programs. I have found this is a good baseline. So building up to 15 miles/week you can do it however feels comfortable. Don't worry about the 10% thing but rather just be cautious starting out and don't increase like 10 miles after the first week. :)

Mudface90210

Oct 29, 2017
If you do the opposite your body will never have a chance to recover. So if you've felt sluggish that why. To give you perspective I am training for 1'40" HM and my schedule looks like this currently

Notice how many times the word "easy" is above. :) Using a similar approach I have gone from 2:20 PR to 1:43 in like a year.

Damn, I feel daft now, my schedule was more like-

Sunday- 5K (race pace)
Monday- 4K recovery
Wed- 3K fast
Fri- 3K fast

And I'd often skip the Monday run if I didn't feel like it...

Right, I'll nick the bones of your programme and scale it down to what I can comfortably do now, dropping 2-3 days to make sure I recover properly. What sort of pace do you do your Saturday long run at?

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just bought one of those armband things for the phone.

It's a whole new world.

I can run less impreded now hurrah.

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Damn, I feel daft now, my schedule was more like-

Sunday- 5K (race pace)
Monday- 4K recovery
Wed- 3K fast
Fri- 3K fast

And I'd often skip the Monday run if I didn't feel like it...

Right, I'll nick the bones of your programme and scale it down to what I can comfortably do now, dropping 2-3 days to make sure I recover properly. What sort of pace do you do your Saturday long run at?

Don't feel daft! We all start somewhere. Hell, even I am still learning. There are plenty here smarter than me.

It fully depends on your goals. But generally easy/long pace is at LEAST a minute slower/mile that goal pace. So like if your goal pace is a 7:10 your easy runs should be no faster than like an 8:10. So for me my goal pace is around a 7:30 to 7:50 so my long/easy runs are in the 8:20-8:40 range. If it's hot I slow down more. I'd keep to your 4 day schedule for now but only run one of your runs "fast". Fast should be actually faster than your goal pace (for me it's in the 6 minute range). It's something so hard that the next day you run 2 minutes/mile slower than your race pace, or you rest entirely.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Welcome back to the world of running. There are a lot of points of view about what the correct way to increase mileage is. For someone not running for years I might recommend starting with a C25K program. If it's too easy you can skip ahead. I would strongly recommend you build up to being able to comfortably run 15 miles/week before looking into any real 5k/10k/etc programs. I have found this is a good baseline. So building up to 15 miles/week you can do it however feels comfortable. Don't worry about the 10% thing but rather just be cautious starting out and don't increase like 10 miles after the first week. :)

Thanks for the advice! So far two days in and ran three miles both days, probably take tomorrow off for rest. I like the strategy you listed in bold, its a good strategy to focus on in the short term.

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017

The 80% easy is a good rule when you're running almost every day, but if I was only running two to three times a week, it dosen't make sense. I'd run intervqls,hills or tempo on møst days. With 4/5 rest days there is more than enough of time to recover. But listen to your body, don't push hard if you're tired

Mudface90210

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I see what you mean, but I think for my particular circumstances it does make sense. I'm pushing 50 with an auto-immune disease and although I've been running for over 2 years now, I've had a fair few breaks in that time due to RA flares, a knee injury etc. I've basically gone from being able to run 5K to trying to run it faster and faster without ever building up the sort of base fitness I obviously need. Plus, to be honest, the thought of just doing easy runs for a couple of months over varying routes, and increasing my weekly distance towards 30K is very attractive right now, I was getting tired of flogging myself just for a measly 10 second improvement over 5K. Once I'm at 30K a week, then I can re-introduce a faster session or two and start following a 'proper' training course.

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I see what you mean, but I think for my particular circumstances it does make sense. I'm pushing 50 with an auto-immune disease and although I've been running for over 2 years now, I've had a fair few breaks in that time due to RA flares, a knee injury etc. I've basically gone from being able to run 5K to trying to run it faster and faster without ever building up the sort of base fitness I obviously need. Plus, to be honest, the thought of just doing easy runs for a couple of months over varying routes, and increasing my weekly distance towards 30K is very attractive right now, I was getting tired of flogging myself just for a measly 10 second improvement over 5K. Once I'm at 30K a week, then I can re-introduce a faster session or two and start following a 'proper' training course.

That was just from a view of maximizing performance for people without medical issues, but since none of us are paid to run, you're free to run exactly how often and how slow as you want. there are plenty of people that lose motivation if every run is hard. It's much better to have a consistent program you can follow than a program that you're likeley to drop after a while.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, signed up for the Chicago Marathon 2018 lottery this morning. Did Chicago earlier this month, and it was my first marathon, and I feel it could have gone a lot better. Now that I know what to expect I want to do it again. Training was the worst part of the whole thing, and such a time commitment, but the whole race experience was great. Here's hoping I get in again! If I'm not accepted into the lottery I'll probably sign up for a charity and run that way.

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Welp, signed up for the Chicago Marathon 2018 lottery this morning. Did Chicago earlier this month, and it was my first marathon, and I feel it could have gone a lot better. Now that I know what to expect I want to do it again. Training was the worst part of the whole thing, and such a time commitment, but the whole race experience was great. Here's hoping I get in again! If I'm not accepted into the lottery I'll probably sign up for a charity and run that way.

Good luck getting in! I want to get up to FM distance eventually but I'm happy to continue building to it. I really only started seriously running in the past three years (1.5 years in formal training) so at least on my end I'm working on building a strong multi year base b

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I searched and found the other thread, not having "running" as a separate word made this one not show, found it linked in that one.

Race cancelled due to the typhoon.
17000y, 3 months of training, and 1 week of eating pasta&rice to the point it hurts... all of that for next to nothing T_T
Ah damn, sorry to read that :/

DaveTheSnake

Oct 27, 2017
California

Good luck with the lottery! Always wanted to do Chicago Marathon, but it always conflicts with something on my calendar.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Glad to see you over here! :D :D

You sure about that...

staysafepskdw.png

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Pfitz is one of the best plans that lays out practically all of your runs through the plan. This will be my 3rd time through, going with the 18/85 mile per week plan. Training has been good so far, ran into some Plantar Fascitis issues in September, and had to take a week off and then almost 2-3 weeks to get back on track. Also, the mid-week, mid-long runs go so far with building endurance, you are right. It's just so difficult to squeeze in 2-2.5 hours in the morning, during the week.

I will agree with you that the most difficult aspect of this program, as with any programs, is nailing that taper.

Cool to see there are some other people here who have used Pfitzinger's training plans. I did the 18/55 plan for the first time this summer and thought it was excellent and challenging. I had some serious metatarsal pain flare up in my foot 3 weeks before the marathon, tried to mitigate it as much as possible, but race-day didn't go so well. The pain in my foot built up to the point that by mile 17 I had to shut it all down and run/walk the rest of the way. :(

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
My friend registered me, kinda in a drunk state I'd say (no external substances used though), for a half marathon next Saturday.
So yeah no problem at first, except I forgot I had scheduled to ride theAzami Lineat Mt Fuji the same day with a friend for a long time ago (first time I would be able to ride with him as well...).

Still a bit hesitant of what to do even though it should be obvious I think.

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My friend registered me, kinda in a drunk state I'd say (no external substances used though), for a half marathon next Saturday.
So yeah no problem at first, except I forgot I had scheduled to ride theAzami Lineat Mt Fuji the same day with a friend for a long time ago (first time I would be able to ride with him as well...).

Still a bit hesitant of what to do even though it should be obvious I think.

Don't know if I have advice in this situation other than do what you think is right.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm planning to run somewhere far where I won't have anywhere to stash a change of clothes. How long is it safe to have all that sweat dry up on me?

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Don't know if I have advice in this situation other than do what you think is right.

Thankfully I was able to delay the bike, still had to apologize a lot but it seems it turned out ok.
Race tomorrow, I'm uh, not very confident about it but we'll see.

So I'm planning to run somewhere far where I won't have anywhere to stash a change of clothes. How long is it safe to have all that sweat dry up on me?

Well what's the expected temperature?
Otherwise it mostly depends on you and how you can handle the cold/keep your body hot after finishing running.

rdam

Oct 26, 2017
I just bought one of those armband things for the phone.

It's a whole new world.

I can run less impreded now hurrah.
Link or recommendation? I'm yet to upgrade to a Garmin or Smartwatch so still using my phone for distance tracking, wasnt sure what kind of thing to go for.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Link or recommendation? I'm yet to upgrade to a Garmin or Smartwatch so still using my phone for distance tracking, wasnt sure what kind of thing to go for.
Ha!

I ran past a petrol station and I saw one in the window so I bought there and then.

It was about £5, I would imagine you can get something similar at any local sports shop.

No bells and whistles, no particular brand, just a strap that you can shove your phone in. Theres a nice pocket for keys too.

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
Greetings all, like many others, longtime lurker and the move to ERA has emboldened me to post more and look forward to talking and working with you all.

Just a little bit of background for those who care: I started running roughly three-ish years ago. I am 32, and until three years back, I have been overweight for all my life. My wife and I made a commitment to each other to start eating healthier and got on the MyFitnessPal train. We also committed to taking our dog for long walks rather than just letting her out in the backyard. Well, those long walks started to become short jogs mixed with walking, then longer jogs until we both were able to run a mile without stopping or walking. In January of 2015, to set a "challenge" for myself and to give more purpose to my weight loss and running, I made it a goal to run the Memphis St. Jude Half-Marathon (which would occur in December) and raise money for them in the process. I am happy to report that I was able to meet my goal, running the half just under 2 hours. I ran it again in 2016, improving on my time, and am looking forward to running it again in about a month.

Through the process, I lost upwards of 100 lbs. I am unfortunately regressing a bit, having gained back about 15 lbs (not so much from lack of running but poor diet). I am hoping having a community like this one will continue to keep me focused and motivated!

I just signed up on strava to join the ERA group (Profile Here) , but I've been using Garmin for the past two years. If anyone else uses Garmin, I'd love to make connections with ya! (Profile Here)

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017

I've used one from Armpocket and quite liked it. They're comfortable and have space for keys and cards.

Greetings all, like many others, longtime lurker and the move to ERA has emboldened me to post more and look forward to talking and working with you all.

Just a little bit of background for those who care: I started running roughly three-ish years ago. I am 32, and until three years back, I have been overweight for all my life. My wife and I made a commitment to each other to start eating healthier and got on the MyFitnessPal train. We also committed to taking our dog for long walks rather than just letting her out in the backyard. Well, those long walks started to become short jogs mixed with walking, then longer jogs until we both were able to run a mile without stopping or walking. In January of 2015, to set a "challenge" for myself and to give more purpose to my weight loss and running, I made it a goal to run the Memphis St. Jude Half-Marathon (which would occur in December) and raise money for them in the process. I am happy to report that I was able to meet my goal, running the half just under 2 hours. I ran it again in 2016, improving on my time, and am looking forward to running it again in about a month.

Through the process, I lost upwards of 100 lbs. I am unfortunately regressing a bit, having gained back about 15 lbs (not so much from lack of running but poor diet). I am hoping having a community like this one will continue to keep me focused and motivated!

I just signed up on strava to join the ERA group (Profile Here) , but I've been using Garmin for the past two years. If anyone else uses Garmin, I'd love to make connections with ya! (Profile Here)

Nice! Welcome to the club! :D

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Welcome to the club! Looking forward to posting/running with you.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fisico I am more concerned with the sweat drying after I run. Temperature is hot, I usually look like I went to a shower after running.

Anyway, Strava folks, don't your huge phones get in the way of your run?

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017
Fisico I am more concerned with the sweat drying after I run. Temperature is hot, I usually look like I went to a shower after running.

I use my garmin for Strava, but I'm always carrying my phone for podcasts. The few times I'm not wearing a jacket with any pockets, I use a flipbelt which is awesome. There is no movement from the phone and keys/cards and the belt stays in one postition the whole time. No need to pull it up or down

titch

Oct 25, 2017

Fantastic work - keep it up and see you on the strava group!!!

I use one of these for my phone and it works great - dont even notice its there

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018PYML5O/?tag=e100-21

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

If it's not cold it shouldn't be much of a problem, unless there's a strong wind you should be fine for a couple hours.

I never have my phone when running, don't want to bother with it, only wearing a fitbit for HBR and calories burned (no gps included so it'seems not accurate for distance)

On my way to my half, kinda in an odd state, it's like for months my focus was on this marathon on 4th November, ever since my average HBR skyrocketted, legs don't feel as good and my mental focus just isn't there.
Well I'll see soon enough how it translates in a race

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
There we go.
22° no Cloud 100% sun, barely any shadow 4 drinking station for the whole race which were giving like 10cl glass of water.

Kept being slower from start to finish, from the start sensations were ok at best (Izakaya and karaoke Thursday night with a 1h walk to get home at 3AM probably wasn't a good idea either), my peak form clearly was behind me I also ran out of food complement 1 week ago (spirulina and zinc) but thé worse part was dehydratation I think.

I also had terrible race management by starting last 2 1/2mn after the first so I spent 15km going past the whole pack not quite knowing which pace I was running / should run.

In the end I finished. .. 4th, only 30s chip time behind the 3rd and 1mn and a few seconds behind the 2nd (very small race though, <200 runners), only one other 外国人 and we chatted a bit afterwards.

Coincidentaly it's the first race where I don't beat my PB, had I matched it I could have took 2nd place, had i beat it even maybe first ahah.
It's just anecdotal though, glad to have been able to run, clocked a semi convincing 1h30m05s, I easily see how to improve next time but that will be for next year.
Now maybe a 10km in early december could be nice, at this point I'm just sick to run in hot conditions lol

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There we go.
22° no Cloud 100% sun, barely any shadow 4 drinking station for the whole race which were giving like 10cl glass of water.

Kept being slower from start to finish, from the start sensations were ok at best (Izakaya and karaoke Thursday night with a 1h walk to get home at 3AM probably wasn't a good idea either), my peak form clearly was behind me I also ran out of food complement 1 week ago (spirulina and zinc) but thé worse part was dehydratation I think.

I also had terrible race management by starting last 2 1/2mn after the first so I spent 15km going past the whole pack not quite knowing which pace I was running / should run.

In the end I finished. .. 4th, only 30s chip time behind the 3rd and 1mn and a few seconds behind the 2nd (very small race though, <200 runners), only one other 外国人 and we chatted a bit afterwards.

Coincidentaly it's the first race where I don't beat my PB, had I matched it I could have took 2nd place, had i beat it even maybe first ahah.
It's just anecdotal though, glad to have been able to run, clocked a semi convincing 1h30m05s, I easily see how to improve next time but that will be for next year.
Now maybe a 10km in early december could be nice, at this point I'm just sick to run in hot conditions lol

Congrats on finishing your race! Take it easy for a few days!

I just finished my last run before my race Sunday. May clock in a slow 3 miler tomorrow but I'm planning on going to the arboretum so I'll get enough steps in.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god. Did a 21 mile sorta fast finish long run with periods of rain earlier today in prep for CIM. While I had the foresight to use body glide on my nipples, I ended up chafing them a bit thanks to the extra bit of friction.

Defenitely a first and last! My poor chest now feels like the surface of Venus. Thankfully no blood