• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the San Francisco Marathon sub 3:50, felt great until the last three or four miles and then I played it conservative because I didn't want to pull a hammy and I was still going to beat my target sub 4:00.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the San Francisco Marathon sub 3:50, felt great until the last three or four miles and then I played it conservative because I didn't want to pull a hammy and I was still going to beat my target sub 4:00.
Congratulations!

I had my best per mile time and best total time today during my 5k, which was surprising since I thought the heat was kicking my butt.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017

Congratulations! I think you made the right move and your legs will be all the happier for it (I find a pleasant stroll to get home also helps prevent DOMS afterward). Enjoy your well earned rest!

Congratulations!

I had my best per mile time and best total time today during my 5k, which was surprising since I thought the heat was kicking my butt.

Nice! Keep it up, once summer is over you'll fly! :D

Oct 29, 2017
I've been running to my zone 2 LTHR for most of my runs for a while now and the pace ends up around 11-12 min miles, occasionally dipping under 11's.

I'm running a 5 mile race next week but I can't say I'm confident about it. I feel that since I've started slowing my easy runs so much, I've lost pace and not entirely convinced I've increased my aerobic base too much either.

I guess I'll see how it goes and if I manage to knock out a time I'm happy with then I'll carry on with my zone 2 training. Otherwise I might adjust slightly and go off VDOT paces which increases my easy pace a little where I can run closer to 10 min miles for my easy runs.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been running to my zone 2 LTHR for most of my runs for a while now and the pace ends up around 11-12 min miles, occasionally dipping under 11's.

I'm running a 5 mile race next week but I can't say I'm confident about it. I feel that since I've started slowing my easy runs so much, I've lost pace and not entirely convinced I've increased my aerobic base too much either.

I guess I'll see how it goes and if I manage to knock out a time I'm happy with then I'll carry on with my zone 2 training. Otherwise I might adjust slightly and go off VDOT paces which increases my easy pace a little where I can run closer to 10 min miles for my easy runs.

Don't use the heart rate monitoring. For me heart rate monitoring is unnecessary and actually a hindrance for the majority of runners. This doesn't meant it doesn't work but for most people it's not necessary. Run by effort. There are three zones green, Amber and red.

Green - you can run and keep a normal conversation going. If you are running by yourself you can singalong while running.
Amber - you can still speak but your speaking is broken..
Red - you are thinking when will this end.

The majority of your runs should be in the green zone. It doesn't matter about your pace. Some days they will be a lot fast than other days. Having all the watches and whatnot is a blessing and a curse and you become fixated on the numbers instead of actually enjoying your running. This is espionage true on the easy days.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
^
What he said.
You shouldn't worry about "losing pace", come race day you'll be pleasantly surprised to see how fast you can still go despite spending most of your runs at easy pace, 80/20 rule stands no matter what.

Congrats !
Easily achieving your objective and even keeping it safe at the end, not many can say that for their first marathon so you can be proud, you'll only get better with this kind of mindset.

On my way to ramping up mileage on my end while having to deal with vacation (10 days in July, 6 days in August) in the middle of it which makes it kinda "erratic"
There was also summer hell last week but I still managed to run the needed mileage (by 34 35 36°), key was to run everything easy, go inside forest looking for shade, and holding a frozen water bottle to drink and poor on my head, sure it wasn't the most pleasant runs but still alright everything considered as I expected much worse than that.
It probably paid off as I did, so far, my most impressive long run yesterday pace wise, couldn't believe how fast I was going with the effort I was putting, great feeling to have

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks both, appreciate your comments 😀

Out of curiosity, what is/would be your race strategy for a 5 mile race? Go easy for the first mile and start to pick up as the race goes on? Steady miles all the way?

^
What he said.
You shouldn't worry about "losing pace", come race day you'll be pleasantly surprised to see how fast you can still go despite spending most of your runs at easy pace, 80/20 rule stands no matter what.

Congrats !
Easily achieving your objective and even keeping it safe at the end, not many can say that for their first marathon so you can be proud, you'll only get better with this kind of mindset.

On my way to ramping up mileage on my end while having to deal with vacation (10 days in July, 6 days in August) in the middle of it which makes it kinda "erratic"
There was also summer hell last week but I still managed to run the needed mileage (by 34 35 36°), key was to run everything easy, go inside forest looking for shade, and holding a frozen water bottle to drink and poor on my head, sure it wasn't the most pleasant runs but still alright everything considered as I expected much worse than that.
It probably paid off as I did, so far, my most impressive long run yesterday pace wise, couldn't believe how fast I was going with the effort I was putting, great feeling to have

You've ran 900 miles this year already?! Damn.

Last edited:

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Out of curiosity, what is/would be your race strategy for a 5 mile race? Go easy for the first mile and start to pick up as the race goes on? Steady miles all the way?

I've... never done a 5 mile race, I did a 5k once but that was after already running a half and a 10k earlier in the morning so my legs were kinda done already but I considered the 5k as a "sprint endurance" type of thing.

5 miles falls somewhere in the middle of 5-10k, at 5k you're guaranteed to feel like shit if you want to optimize your performance, at 10k it's a bit more pleasant, so 5 miles uh I wonder, I guess the negative split rule still applies (you feel better and usually have a better time if you manage to run the second half of your race a tad faster than the first)

More than strategy the best thing to do is to set a reasonable target looking at training and past races beforehand, try to run at consistent pace to reach that target and "by feel" come race day (better slow down a little that completly implode if things go bad), don't start too fast and speed up in the last quarter if you can.

Regarding yearly mileage mine is considered as low for the times I'm doing on 10k/half/marathon, yet it's still a notable increase year after year (500 -> 750 -> 1000 -> 1500 -> 2500km (2019 target)), there's a couple regular posters here who have much more than me currently (1900 2200km respectively) :p

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Running the 5 mile is the same as running most distances. What is the course? Is all flat is hilly? What is objective to get round or get a good time? Then you have on day things. Like how do you feel. What's the weather like etc.

You can analyse far to much. Just go out and run it but remember it's always better to start a lot slower than you intend to run than start out at the pace you want to run it out

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations!

Congrats! Getting a PR in heat is not easy. I much prefer running in cold weather.
Congratulations! I think you made the right move and your legs will be all the happier for it (I find a pleasant stroll to get home also helps prevent DOMS afterward). Enjoy your well earned rest!
I am definitely very sore in the quads/hammys still and my knee joints are complaining a bit. That's pretty much it beyond a bit of diarrhea that I tend to get from longer runs. I'm glad I managed to stay healthy throughout my training, I have a history of shin splints that didn't bother me at all this time and I didn't pull or have any other issues.
Congrats !

Thanks! We will see how fast I go back to doing a marathon. That will be my last for this year, I plan on joining a soccer league this fall and I might do an obstacle race at the end of the year. I do feel like I could beat my PR in a half easily right now considering I ran my first half in this race only 4 minutes slower than my best.

I think I wouldn't have finished my race if it was in Miami. San Francisco was a perfect 55 (12-13C) out and not as humid at the start, I was barely sweating the first half marathon even with a good amount of hills. It got into the 70s by the end and that was making me lose a lot more sweat. Don't envy you having to run in that European heat wave.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017

Man I struggle to keep a slow pace on race day. You'll be in the amber / red the whole time and just sit on someone's shoulder. My race days are miles faster than my training ones.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
What fitness watches do you guys use? My forerunner 645m has had an annoying vibration issue and Garmin have been absolutely terrible on replacing it. I have waited about 2/3 months and finally been able to send it off as they've got more stock to replace. It's just been really poor service, but from what I can tell, Garmin are the best running watch manufacturers.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not. Well I haven't planned to! When is it?

Tomorrow 😀

What fitness watches do you guys use? My forerunner 645m has had an annoying vibration issue and Garmin have been absolutely terrible on replacing it. I have waited about 2/3 months and finally been able to send it off as they've got more stock to replace. It's just been really poor service, but from what I can tell, Garmin are the best running watch manufacturers.

645 (non-music) here. I was curious to try the Coros Apex but never got around to picking one up.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Forerunner 235 since April 2018, no complaint so far. I had two fitbit before but their wristband is completely garbage and I'm never buying any of their product ever again

Tomtom and Suunto are others popular potential choices

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017

Use an Apple Watch, got one through Vitality so only £100 for the latest one.

Never used any other brands, so can't compare, but love the watch for running. I got the Nike version so I mainly use that app for tracking.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Use an Apple Watch, got one through Vitality so only £100 for the latest one.

Never used any other brands, so can't compare, but love the watch for running. I got the Nike version so I mainly use that app for tracking.
I bought my Garmin through vitality. I think I'd rather have paid more to get it from Amazon. At least their replacements and refunds procedures are decent.

I use android so apple watches are out of the question. Anyone used polar before? Teh vantage range look decent

Oct 29, 2017
I bought my Garmin through vitality. I think I'd rather have paid more to get it from Amazon. At least their replacements and refunds procedures are decent.

I use android so apple watches are out of the question. Anyone used polar before? Teh vantage range look decent

I had a Polar Vantage M for a day 😂

I found the app pretty annoying, had quite a few issues just trying to add the watch to my Polar account. I had to perform a factory reset on the watch (which requires googling because it wasn't made obvious how to do it by Polar).

The watch itself felt clunky, the buttons didn't feel great and felt a bit cheap, and the display looked pretty low quality too.

Polar Flow is supposed to be really nice and I was looking forward to that but I couldn't get passed the feel of the whole watch.

I also remember there was quite a few features missing that people expected as standard, ones that Polar had on their older watches which they'd removed for this series. There was a roadmap for Polar to bring out features but it was something like a year away for one of the features which I think was standard on some Garmin watches.

I dunno, it felt to me like Polar felt like they had to release something to keep relevant with Garmin but hadn't actually thought about the watch too much and released it too early.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I had a Polar Vantage M for a day 😂

I found the app pretty annoying, had quite a few issues just trying to add the watch to my Polar account. I had to perform a factory reset on the watch (which requires googling because it wasn't made obvious how to do it by Polar).

The watch itself felt clunky, the buttons didn't feel great and felt a bit cheap, and the display looked pretty low quality too.

Polar Flow is supposed to be really nice and I was looking forward to that but I couldn't get passed the feel of the whole watch.

I also remember there was quite a few features missing that people expected as standard, ones that Polar had on their older watches which they'd removed for this series. There was a roadmap for Polar to bring out features but it was something like a year away for one of the features which I think was standard on some Garmin watches.

I dunno, it felt to me like Polar felt like they had to release something to keep relevant with Garmin but hadn't actually thought about the watch too much and released it too early.
Won't be getting that then haha! Thanks for the info pal.

Good luck at the race too!!

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking to treat myself to some new running shoes and was looking for a lightweight daily trainer. I had it narrowed down to the HOKA Rincon and the New Balance Fuel Cell Rebel and ended up getting the Skechers GoRun Razor 3 Hyper. The hype for their new Hyperburst midsole got to me and let me tell you, it is legit. I've put about 30 miles in them so far. First thing is how light the foam is. My size 10.5 only weighs in at 6.8oz! The midsole itself is thick and cushioned but also responsive and it has just enough energy return/springy-ness that you feel it but not overwhelmingly so. The best way to describe is that it almost feels like a pool noodle? Which sounds strange but damn it's one of the best midsoles around. The upper is incredibly breathable but doesn't offer a ton of support (which is expected for such a light shoe). The arch support is also minimal, so the shoe is definitely for neutral runners only. The outsole is okay. It works well on roads and tracks, but isn't the best in slippery conditions. I haven't worn them on any trails yet but I'd imagine it's not great. But yea, the midsole is the bread and butter. The cushion of an every day trainer but the weight and responsiveness of a speed shoe. If you get a chance to try them at a store, I'd highly recommend it.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Well got heated yesterday and decided to both register for my Fall marathon (Frankfurt) and buy the Vaporfly Next%, you can say I sort of bought into the hype, I'll try them in one or two runs and the only other race I have scheduled in late September (16k with some elevation)

Pudie

The Fallen
Aug 19, 2018
Anyone have any good recommendations for a $150CAD (price firm) or less fitness tracker?

The only must have for me is 24/7 heart rate monitoring, besides that GPS and customizability are pretty important. Everything else is a plus.

I'm leaning towards the Fitbit Inspire HR, but wanted to see if there was something just as good or better I was missing.

(Must be new as well, as being covered by work)

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Can someone give me some reccomendations for shoes? I usually run 3-5 km 3 days a week. I want to start running 10km and start training for half marathon in two months

How long to running shoes usually last? The sole of my Pegasus 35 are completely dead

I have a feeling those new nike joyride run won't so well for 10km+. Vaporfly next% is way too expensive for me

Haunted Tank

Oct 28, 2017
Go to a running store and get fitted is really the only advice one can give. Especially if you are planning to increase your mileage.

Running shoes usually last 500-1000 km.

For what it's worth I usually do my longer runs in Brooks Ghost or Nike Epic React.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Can someone give me some reccomendations for shoes? I usually run 3-5 km 3 days a week. I want to start running 10km and start training for half marathon in two months

How long to running shoes usually last? The sole of my Pegasus 35 are completely dead

I have a feeling those new nike joyride run won't so well for 10km+. Vaporfly next% is way too expensive for me

Doesn't make sense/worth it to go for Vaporfly Next% unless you reached competitive times , if you really want an "upgrade" from Pegasus maybe try to get the Turbo/Turbo 2, they have the ZoomX foam from Vaporfly and are lighter than the Pegasus so they might fit your needs. (they're a bit on the expensive side, 180$ new, but cheaper than Vaporfly, you probably can get the first Turbo for less than that too)
However you should go first with shoes you are comfortable with, shoes are not cars they will not make you faster so Pegasus 36 might be perfectly fine for you as well.

If you're used to 3-5km for each time you go running you might also find that shoes behave very differently on a longer distance, I have a pair of Pegasus 35 and found them quite alright for my easy days (10-12km at easy pace) but the first race I did with (half+10k) they gave me blisters at places I never had one before, they were basically too narrow in the forefoot for longer runs and I've never used them for that since (which is a shame, because that's the very reason I bought them for originally)

It doesn't mean that would apply to you though,.

And if you're really curious about running shoes you can check Solereview articles, they're both easy to read and exhaustive at the same time

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I'm looking at buying a pair of Hoka Clifton 6's next. Watching and reading reviews, they sound perfect for me with the cushioning and comfort, and they'll be great for marathon training.

I'm keen to try them on because for all I've read about people saying the Pegasus 35 and Epic React 2 had nice cushion, I just don't feel it. Certainly not as much as the Brooks Glycerin and maybe even not as much as the Brooks Ghost.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Doesn't make sense/worth it to go for Vaporfly Next% unless you reached competitive times , if you really want an "upgrade" from Pegasus maybe try to get the Turbo/Turbo 2, they have the ZoomX foam from Vaporfly and are lighter than the Pegasus so they might fit your needs. (they're a bit on the expensive side, 180$ new, but cheaper than Vaporfly, you probably can get the first Turbo for less than that too)
However you should go first with shoes you are comfortable with, shoes are not cars they will not make you faster so Pegasus 36 might be perfectly fine for you as well.

If you're used to 3-5km for each time you go running you might also find that shoes behave very differently on a longer distance, I have a pair of Pegasus 35 and found them quite alright for my easy days (10-12km at easy pace) but the first race I did with (half+10k) they gave me blisters at places I never had one before, they were basically too narrow in the forefoot for longer runs and I've never used them for that since (which is a shame, because that's the very reason I bought them for originally)

It doesn't mean that would apply to you though,.

And if you're really curious about running shoes you can check Solereview articles, they're both easy to read and exhaustive at the same time
Oh dear, thanks for all of this information, makes things way simpler. Yeah I would get blisters on the bottom of my feet occasionally, not sure if it was due to the socks I was wearing or the shoes.

That solereview website is incredible, thank you so much

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Runrepeat is a great website to compare shoes. Nice little synopsis and overview too.

Also for longer runs I really enjoy my solardrive, nb1080v8 but the v9 was even better.
I was really disappointed with my Pegasus 35s as the sole wore so fast. I think I'd done about 250-300 miles before it wore through.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10 mile race done.

The middle 6 miles was me looking desperately for a toilet because I needed to GO! God damn. That was rough.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017

It depends on what kind of midsole you prefer. Some prefer soft and cushion-y, some may want something more firm and responsive to help pick up the pace. You'll need to experiment and see which you like. I would highly recommend looking at the New Balance Beacon though. They're light weight, highly cushioned, and are still responsive enough that picking up the pace still feels good. They're a great all around daily trainer and can handle all distances. If you're used to running in the Peg 35, the Beacon will be significantly lighter and have a bit more firmness/responsiveness in their cushioning. The 2019 model recently came out so you can find the 2018 model at a heavy discount. If you have the extra cash, the new model has a better fitting and more breathable upper. The midsole is exactly the same between them so the ride will be feel the same.

Oct 29, 2017
pbsapeer , I'm going to clear out of my shoes and just remembered you run in New Balance. I'm going to list two pairs of NB V8's on eBay but not sure if you're interested in them before I list them?

Blue pair which has 74 miles on them (I have a feeling Strava has defaulted to adding these to some runs as I'm sure I haven't ran anywhere near that in them, I'd guess at more like 30 miles).

Silver/white pair which has 15 miles on them.

Happy to send photos later tonight if you're interested. If you are, I could drop them at my parents house in Knowsley if that's anywhere near to you?

Let me know what you think.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
pbsapeer , I'm going to clear out of my shoes and just remembered you run in New Balance. I'm going to list two pairs of NB V8's on eBay but not sure if you're interested in them before I list them?

Blue pair which has 74 miles on them (I have a feeling Strava has defaulted to adding these to some runs as I'm sure I haven't ran anywhere near that in them, I'd guess at more like 30 miles).

Silver/white pair which has 15 miles on them.

Happy to send photos later tonight if you're interested. If you are, I could drop them at my parents house in Knowsley if that's anywhere near to you?

Let me know what you think.
Sound good man. What size are they?

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Haha probably the most important information and I left it out.

Both size 8.5 which I guess is on the small side so may be too small?
Yeah man 9.5 is probably the best for me. Thanks for the thought though man.
Where do you buy your trainers from? I always seem to miss when the last ones are on sale and the new ones are out.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah man 9.5 is probably the best for me. Thanks for the thought though man.
Where do you buy your trainers from? I always seem to miss when the last ones are on sale and the new ones are out.

Various places. I bought the NB's from a shop over the water in the Wirral, my Nike Pegasus' from eBay, Epic React's direct from Nike and today I've just got the Hola Clifton 6's from SportsShoes.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Various places. I bought the NB's from a shop over the water in the Wirral, my Nike Pegasus' from eBay, Epic React's direct from Nike and today I've just got the Hola Clifton 6's from SportsShoes.
Yeah I use sport shoes mostly as they're generally the cheapest. I always miss the sales though for my size - nightmare. Where on the Wirral do you go?
Doing the 10k on the 7th?

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I use sport shoes mostly as they're generally the cheapest. I always miss the sales though for my size - nightmare. Where on the Wirral do you go?
Doing the 10k on the 7th?

Runners Hub was the shop I went to. Only been for that one pair but really good service from them.

Which 10k? I've got EHM in a couple of weeks closely followed by Knowsley Safari 10 Miler, Great Birmingham Run and then Beat The Reaper 10k which will be the last race of the year. Then working on aerobic base for a bit before starting marathon training in December.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Runners Hub was the shop I went to. Only been for that one pair but really good service from them.

Which 10k? I've got EHM in a couple of weeks closely followed by Knowsley Safari 10 Miler, Great Birmingham Run and then Beat The Reaper 10k which will be the last race of the year. Then working on aerobic base for a bit before starting marathon training in December.
The Wirral 10k / half. Think it's a week Sunday. Really flat. Hopefully gonna beat 40minute 10k.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Not one to run many 5Ks (i'm more of a 10k and HM kind of guy) i got a new PB at 00:19:13. (which put me at 2nd place in the M30 class)
Which is an average pace of 3:50.

Feels good to know i can do the 5k at a sub 4:00 pace. I'd love to extend that to 10Ks.

Also, we got first place in the teams-of-3 rankings, due to my two buddies also finishing sub 20:00.
It's always fun to beat teams from actual running clubs - we just put the name of our WhatsApp group convo as the club name to make us look more professional 🙈

Oct 29, 2017
People in this thread are so fast. Damn.

I ran in the Hoka Clifton 6's last night and absolutely love them. Coming from Pegasus and Epic React's, the cushioning in the Hoka's felt amazing. I'll definitely be using these for my easy and long runs, then I'll break out the Epic React's for speedwork sessions and 10k or less races.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
People in this thread are so fast. Damn.

I always love to look back at the progress I've made over the years, consistency is really what matters most, after that you increase volume and find improvements everywhere you can
Things that seems to be completely out of reach a few years ago were already achieved and beaten, there were also a couple of time when I though I plateau'd and not only did I beat that but I went far beyond as well.
Running must be one of the sports that reward training the most, everyone has ability, skills and different ceilings, but everyone can and will improve through training no matter what.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I always love to look back at the progress I've made over the years, consistency is really what matters most, after that you increase volume and find improvements everywhere you can
Things that seems to be completely out of reach a few years ago were already achieved and beaten, there were also a couple of time when I though I plateau'd and not only did I beat that but I went far beyond as well.
Running must be one of the sports that reward training the most, everyone has ability, skills and different ceilings, but everyone can and will improve through training no matter what.

This. And you need to run a few races throughout the year. Because these are where you'll actually see the progress you've made.
Like, on the way to yesterday's race i felt like i was in worse shape than i've been in a long while. And even during my training runs i often feel super drained. Like, there's times when i can hardly do my 13k loop faster than 5:30 and then there's times where i'll be easily going 4:45. It just varies so much.

And with regards to being fast. I just checked; My 5K in September of 2017 (that's the furthest back i have data for) was at a 4:30 pace. Which isn't slow, of couse - but it's still crazy looking back and seeing my progress.

I think what really helped this year was running alongside those bi-weekly skating events in my hometown. Every 2 weeks, at 7:30pm they have this event where a van with a ridiculous sound system does a loop through the roads of our town (they have the police drive ahead and close them off until the convoy of skaters are through).
The leading car goes at a pace of around 3:30/km and takes a 10 minute break every 2 km or so (to have the skaters catch up) for a total of like 16-18km over around 2 hours - which makes for great long intervals with plenty of recovery.

(don't mind my blue headband - the theme of that event was 'bad taste' and i couldn't think of anything than some nasty neon color blocking with a blue headband and pink tape on my knee....)

Oct 29, 2017
I read a lot about running, I read articles and Reddit constantly. And I've read that consistency as well as 80% of weekly running should be at an easy pace.

Yet I look at my stats from 2017 and within August and September I set PB's for 5k, 10k and half marathon. At that time I was running at most three time's per week, sometimes twice. And I wasn't running easy as what VDOT and other calcs say, nearly all of my runs were at HM pace, all my weekly runs were around 9 min miles and my weekend long run was around 10 min miles, with a Parkrun thrown in the middle where i pushed the pace into 8:40 min miles at times. It got my PB's but also injuries.

Two years later I now run four time's per week. My mileage is higher, I run my easy runs truly easy and I try to add in speed sessions. I've adapted how I train from pretty much racing every session like I was doing in 2017 to following what is commonly believed to be the best and most effective way to train.

And yet I can't really get close to any of those PB's that I set then. I've aged a couple of years obviously, I'm 39 now, but I wouldn't expect to decline so much and if anything I'd expect the new training to show dividends.

So I'm a bit unsure what I need to do to get back to those PB time's. Do I run all of my runs at the pace I did then? It worked, it got me those PB's. But I also got injured.

I think once I've got my marathon out of the way next April, I might start MAF training for 6-12 months and see if that changes anything.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
I'be been lurking here for a while, but looking for some shoe advice.

I underpronate which has led to my fair share of rolled ankles. I usually tape my (right specifically) ankle for my runs to give a little extra support. I've been in Gel Nimbus 18's for the past 2.5ish years. They were pretty good shoes and I was mostly happy, a little stiff though.

I went to the local running store and went through current state of my shoes/ankles/etc. Tried on a few different pairs he pulled for me and settled in some Omni ISO 2's. Shoe felt super comfortable and fit my foot well.

....Then i ran in them. The shoe itself felt really great and my body responded pretty well, except for my ankles. Waves of intense inside ankle pain for the duration of the run (8 miles). That was about 7 hours ago and i'm still sore on the inside part of my ankle.

I tried doing some searching online and.....these are showing up more as overpronation vs. underpronation, which would make sense given the inner ankle pain.

Does this sound right? Did the guy sell my the wrong shoes? Am I already dead? I'm going to try and call over after the weekend and see about returning if that's the case.