• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rdam

Oct 26, 2017
Does Era prefer running by themselves or with others?

Ive been part of a running group since the summer and found its benefitted me loads in regards to pacing, stamina and distance- definitely the reason I kept going.

Trying to lure my GF into running but I dont think its for her, she's not taking to it at all. Might be going out tomorrow morning together but if not im definitely in a place now where im comfortable to go out myself. Wouldnt have been so willing a few months ago I reckon.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Does Era prefer running by themselves or with others?

Ive been part of a running group since the summer and found its benefitted me loads in regards to pacing, stamina and distance- definitely the reason I kept going.

Trying to lure my GF into running but I dont think its for her, she's not taking to it at all. Might be going out tomorrow morning together but if not im definitely in a place now where im comfortable to go out myself. Wouldnt have been so willing a few months ago I reckon.

I'm a combination of the two. I can do any of my runs long, short, speed, whatever by myself but also enjoy running with my local team.

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Oh god. Did a 21 mile sorta fast finish long run with periods of rain earlier today in prep for CIM. While I had the foresight to use body glide on my nipples, I ended up chafing them a bit thanks to the extra bit of friction.

Defenitely a first and last! My poor chest now feels like the surface of Venus. Thankfully no blood

You're lucky. I've bled after a race using a white tech shirt. So embarrassing. :)

Jaykay

Oct 25, 2017
Running the NYC Marathon tomorrow. Super nervous and excited at the same time, but the 89% humidity is making me not like myself right now haha.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Congrats on finishing your race! Take it easy for a few days!

I just finished my last run before my race Sunday. May clock in a slow 3 miler tomorrow but I'm planning on going to the arboretum so I'll get enough steps in.

No sports until Wednesday at least, and even then only some bicycle I think. Body is ok overall, only feeling it on both calf which is normal I think (?), it will be completely healed in a couple days or so.

So how did your race go?

rdam : Mostly solo now, I used to run with colleagues at slow pace before which was much more entertaining and pleasant. Would love to be able to have a running group but my lifestyle doesn't allow me to do so for now I think.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An unexpected ice storm blew through last night. That led to a very slow, gingerly-paced 10 miles on sidewalks that I probably shouldn't have been running on. But I just got back from a business trip and I was willing to put up with treacherous conditions to get back out there.

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hi all.

My race went poorly. Weather was 72F and 100% humidity at race start. My first 6 miles were on target then I just decayed. Ended up finishing around 1'54"00. I have 5 weeks week of hard work ahead of my goal race to hit my 1'39'59".

On a more positive note holy crap the club is up to 40 members! I want to thank everyone who has enjoyed and invite anyone lurking to join the Strava club and post with us in the thread.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all.

My race went poorly. Weather was 72F and 100% humidity at race start. My first 6 miles were on target then I just decayed. Ended up finishing around 1'54"00. I have 5 weeks week of hard work ahead of my goal race to hit my 1'39'59".

On a more positive note holy crap the club is up to 40 members! I want to thank everyone who has enjoyed and invite anyone lurking to join the Strava club and post with us in the thread.

Here's to hoping that it continues to grow! :)

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all.

My race went poorly. Weather was 72F and 100% humidity at race start.

Those are horrible conditions for any race. My half PR is a little slower than your goal pace, but I had a race like this last year when the wheels fell off in this kind of heat and humidity. That's a brutal combination if you're trying to push yourself to the limit.

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Those are horrible conditions for any race. My half PR is a little slower than your goal pace, but I had a race like this last year when the wheels fell off in this kind of heat and humidity. That's a brutal combination if you're trying to push yourself to the limit.

Thanks for the kind words. All I can do now is make sure I execute the last 5 weeks of my schedule as best as possible.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all.

That's not bad at all considering the heat. As you continue your training and the weather starts to get colder you'll lower your time for sure :D

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished a 7 mile easy run with my club. OOOOOOOWWWWWWW. :(

Oh snap. From the looks of Strava, I'm guessing that this was your first run since the half? Definitely ouch then!

I took off about three days and eased my way back throughout the week before I joined up with the rest of my team for marathon training and it still hurt five days later! Can't imagine what you just did

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Hi all.

Damn sorry to hear that, always terrible to feel like shit during a race and see your target time going further and further away from you :(

Well joined Strava the other day, this morning my Fitbit wristband fell for the second time, clearly fed up with this brand (thankfully the first was a gift and I got the second one for free) I can maybe fix it temporarily with some glue but I think I will try to look for a dedicated running or even sports watch, don't want to spend too much money and I'm in no hurry so I'm back running with nothing for the second time and won't get to see what Strava is about for now.

I wanted to run yesterday but when waking up I felt like my legs weren't really up for it so in the end I will have taken a six days break after my half, I was clearly overtrained so maybe that's not a bad thing, we'll see.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have anyone that posts on here that either coaches or uses a well known training system like Daniels Running Formula?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I follow the do-what-you-can-when-you-can-if-you-can-be-arsed-method, it's moderately effective, except when it isn't.

Did a trail marathon today, over an hour longer than my flat road marathon PB, but I think I can be excused:

hoaho7u69.png

Was dead at 20 miles, really had to grind it out, raided the feed station of gels and high5 like crazy. Loved it though and came second which is a first for me :)

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure on who coaches here, but the OP lists several training plans and methods, including the Jack Daniel's way.

Personally, I've based my race training off of Hal Higdon mostly.

Cheers was just an idea i was mulling over for here.

I follow the do-what-you-can-when-you-can-if-you-can-be-arsed-method, it's moderately effective, except when it isn't.

Did a trail marathon today, over an hour longer than my flat road marathon PB, but I think I can be excused:

hoaho7u69.png

Was dead at 20 miles, really had to grind it out, raided the feed station of gels and high5 like crazy. Loved it though and came second which is a first for me :)

Congrats that looks like it would kill me after the first climb let alone the other 4.5.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Entered my name into the 2018 drawing for a spot in the Chicago Marathon. Will be interesting to see if I get one!

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if i need to dial back on my training or will i adapt to the workload after time.

Its not like i have suddenly increased what i am doing and have built it up over time.

I guess it doesnt help playing football for an our after three weeks off and then having a couple of runs within 24 hours...

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to plan some events for 2018.

Think I might go to Iceland and do the Reykjavik marathon. Its the week after my Birthday so I want to do something and I always wanted to visit Iceland. Its mid august so temperatures should be grand and flights from here go direct to Reykjavik.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Has anyone had experience with hip-pain from running and how they got over it?

I got some major hip-pain right now (bursitis, I think - definitely more muscle/nerve than joint/bone), and it's kept me from running for now. It goes away, I go for a run, and it comes right back! So now I'm just taking it easy for recovery, along with some stretching and core strengthening.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A little disappointed I only got 33.1 miles this week. Would have liked to be closer to 35. But I'm going to hike at a state park for 9 hours tomorrow so I guess that will make up for it.

Mudface90210

Oct 29, 2017
Had my 5K Mo Run in Glasgow this morning. Went about what I expected, around 29 mins or so (the course was about 40 metres short of 5K). Good fun, and my son finished third in his mini race, but it was really cold and the start of the race was delayed by 20-25 mins. By the time it started, I was freezing and didn't really warm back up until half way through. Anyway, I know what to do now in terms of training, so will start putting the miles in, look for another 5K in January somwhere, then go for a 10K later in the Spring.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting from the fitness thread.

Anyone here also take part in triathlons? I am looking to try to increase lean muscle to improve power output for bike/run not too fussed about the swim component.

Im mid 40's and carry next to no fat 53kg/162cm - my diet in general is pretty decent(healthy eating other half) but i dont really have any post exercise targeted food.

I am looking to start including some strength training(mainly body weight to start with till i get gym access) and some form of whey protein post exercise shake.

In general does it sound like i am going down a sensible route or is there anything obvious i am missing.

Oh also can anyone a good tri specific forum?

Horsefly

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Today I did it! I hit my year target:

1000 kilometres in 2017, with seven weeks to spare!

Two years ago I couldn't tackle a couple of flights of stairs without getting out of breath. Last January I knuckled down and started to try and run. Ended up doing 550k for the year. This year I fancied a bigger challenge so it was 1000k and the ability to run half marathons. Done, and it feels great.

Never give up, unfit-Era. It's as simple as getting out and putting one foot in front of the other, the rest takes care of itself!

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Has anyone had experience with hip-pain from running and how they got over it?

I got some major hip-pain right now (bursitis, I think - definitely more muscle/nerve than joint/bone), and it's kept me from running for now. It goes away, I go for a run, and it comes right back! So now I'm just taking it easy for recovery, along with some stretching and core strengthening.

Any recommendations?

Well shit, my hip is now good and fucked. Maybe permanently? I thought it was only from running, and even while taking a break from running to recoup, just last night I hurt it just walking normally - I buckled and fell to the ground. Still hurts like fuck this morning. Goddammit.
You lucky runners without injuries...

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I've had hip pains from running, but it always fades with rest. I think it's IT band issues for me.

Get your ass to a doctor and keep us posted!

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Cross posting from the fitness thread.

Anyone here also take part in triathlons? I am looking to try to increase lean muscle to improve power output for bike/run not too fussed about the swim component.

Im mid 40's and carry next to no fat 53kg/162cm - my diet in general is pretty decent(healthy eating other half) but i dont really have any post exercise targeted food.

I am looking to start including some strength training(mainly body weight to start with till i get gym access) and some form of whey protein post exercise shake.

In general does it sound like i am going down a sensible route or is there anything obvious i am missing.

Oh also can anyone a good tri specific forum?

I recommend paying a training for 3-4 sessions to learn a routine/plan then execute it by yourself. That way you learn what to do and can get feedback.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I've had hip pains from running, but it always fades with rest. I think it's IT band issues for me.

Get your ass to a doctor and keep us posted!
Hip still not getting least bit better all day.
Made appt w Dr for tomorrow.
Hopefully some PT will clear it up!

Need to get out and run again - I feel like shit when I miss one day - missing more than one day is seriously depressing.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Few days off is better than months off. Keep us posted.
Well, shit. Went to a Dr, and... didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, which is frustrating. He said it was bursitis, which I had figured as much, but I suppose it's good to get professional confirmation. Said to just to take it easy for a few weeks. Thing is, it hurt most after I was already taking it easy. Though he said to up my ibuprofen a bit, which won't just help with the pain, but help quicken the healing, bringing down the inflammation. Still, three weeks away from running, at least - fucking sucks!

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Well, shit. Went to a Dr, and... didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, which is frustrating. He said it was bursitis, which I had figured as much, but I suppose it's good to get professional confirmation. Said to just to take it easy for a few weeks. Thing is, it hurt most after I was already taking it easy. Though he said to up my ibuprofen a bit, which won't just help with the pain, but help quicken the healing, bringing down the inflammation. Still, three weeks away from running, at least - fucking sucks!

Sorry to hear that. On the positive side it's week not months. Can you do any cross training like cycling or would that make it worse?

On a positive note after my shitty post hiking Monday run cruised through my Tuesday run even though it was fucking 72 outside. WTF Texas.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Sorry to hear that. On the positive side it's week not months. Can you do any cross training like cycling or would that make it worse?
No, just rest and icing. Not even stretching!

I can already feel myself getting out of shape... :(

Might try some core-strengthening stuff that doesn't involve my hip. That should keep it from happening again when I start to run again.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So do the watches work even if it's not within range of a phone? Distance tracking and GPS? What kind of watch is good and won't break the bank? I'm talking real cheap here.

Phone is out of the question. Huge, gets hot, attracts thieves out of the woodwork.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
So do the watches work even if it's not within range of a phone? Distance tracking and GPS? What kind of watch is good and won't break the bank? I'm talking real cheap here.

Phone is out of the question. Huge, gets hot, attracts thieves out of the woodwork.

If they have a GPS chip yes, they work without a phone. As for watch recommendations, what do you want to get out of it? Only GPS? Do you want HR information (either via strap or OHR)? Running dynamics?

Garmin's offerings: FR35, FR25, vivosport, vivosmart HR+, vivoactive HR
Polar: M200
TomTom: Spark 3, Runner
Suunto: Ambit3 Run, Spartan Trainer, Ambit3 Sport

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Duebrithil just the basics. Let's see:

- distance tracking
- GPS
- calories burned
- altitude tracking
- can be synced to Strava, etc

You won't believe how cheap I am, so if you can, hit me with your best shot. Thanks!

By the way, I just run for general fitness and not for competitions :)

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017

My only advice with running-related injuries is, well, do make sure you take it easy. Your fitness might slip somewhat but I've extended injuries that should have healed in weeks into ones that lasted months by pushing myself too soon.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017

- distance tracking
- GPS
- calories burned
- altitude tracking

You won't believe how cheap I am, so if you can, hit me with your best shot. Thanks!

Garmin has the most straightforward Strava sync, so I guess I'd go for a Garmin device. If you want a barometric altimeter then the Vivosport seems like a good choice. In any case take a look at Ray's product comparator, and see if there's a device that tickles your fancy.

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I second getting a Garmin. You don't need to spend and get a Fenix 5 like me but it's easily been the best running wearable i've bought (sleep tracking sucks though).

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017

- distance tracking
- GPS
- calories burned
- altitude tracking

I'm willing to sell you a well used, like two years used, Garmin Vivoactive v1 lying around for a very cheap price if you want it. Comes w charger and I'll boot it up and factory restore it for you as well. PM me for details and I can also provide photos.

It still works and has all of the features you want. I can also include my used heart rate monitor, although you'd have to replace battery.

I second getting a Garmin. You don't need to spend and get a Fenix 5 like me but it's easily been the best running wearable i've bought (sleep tracking sucks though).

Ain't going to lie, my vivoactive tracked sleep better than my Fenix 3 HR ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: