• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ran my work 5k in 21'20" today. It wa surprisingly warm and humid. But I did clock in my recorded fastest mile at a 6'16" which was nice.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Running my final long run tomorrow in prep for CIM in two weeks and my pre-Marathon freakout has begun. JUST AS I PLANNED...

Whelp

Last edited:

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Running my final long run tomorrow in prep for CIM in two weeks and my pre-Marathon freakout has begun. JUST AS I PLANNED...

Whelp

Yeah, I've found taper psychosis to be a real thing. Reducing your load two weeks before your Marathon will do you good, as keeping up the training intensity will not yield benefits within that timeframe and you'll only tire yourself more. I'm sure you already know this but sometimes hearing it from other people helps with the taper period (unless it doesn't for you, in which case I'm sorry for mentioning it :b).

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Started taking protein supplements after exercise and proper stretching - felt a lot stronger over the past few days even with what is probably my toughest three days of the week.

Probably both but pretty sure the stretching has made a difference and wish i had been doing this ages ago.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
red_taiyaki I appreciate the offer but I live somewhere where if you send it the delivery cost would usurp the cheapness. I really appreciate the offer though, thanks!

Duebrithil thanks for the link!

The_Inquisitor absolutely great job on your 5k, I wonder if I'll ever reach even the 25 minute mark?

I should probably look into the tempo and speed trainings people keep talking about.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
red_taiyaki I appreciate the offer but I live somewhere where if you send it the delivery cost would usurp the cheapness. I really appreciate the offer though, thanks!

Duebrithil thanks for the link!

The_Inquisitor absolutely great job on your 5k, I wonder if I'll ever reach even the 25 minute mark?

I should probably look into the tempo and speed trainings people keep talking about.

No problem and I'm sure you can reach the 25 minute 5k mark. I used to not be able to run anything faster than 32 minutes and now I'm down to 23-24 range and climbing :).

Just stay consistent!!!

titch

Oct 25, 2017
So got invited to a game of indoor football after my 1hr harder swim set of the week - turned up and pretty sure most the lads were near half my age or at most mid/late twenties.

Legs are a bit achy just now 4 hours later and its speed work tomorrow(crap today now) and the weather is meant to be houfing. Might be looking for some ResetEra motivation later...

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I am consistent, consistently 30 that is. How did you manage to bring it down?

I do my fair share of long runs, tempo runs, hill sprints, etc. w my local running group but more importantly I've learned to take my easy/recovery days slow to develop my endurance in hopes that it eventually catches up to my actual speed.

For example, I can run a 10k at 7:45-7:50 pace, but I don't practice that most runs. Most of my runs are at 9:45-10:45 pace so I can keep training and avoid too much downtime.

Last edited:

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
YESSSSS! How is Week 1 of taper treating you?

Technically I'm on week 2 of my taper lol. Started cutting down mileage last week.

Since CIM is what, 10 days away [lol], I'm taking it easy this week w slow paced runs except for tomorrow. My coach wants me to use local 10k as a speed workout/marathon pace tempo run. That said, still waiting for my heart rate to return to norm level so we'll see how this goes :).

How about you?

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ran a very slow 5 today. Going to be running the 8 mile Turkey trot at pace tomorrow. IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY SIGNED UP FOR THE VIRTUAL TROT SEND ME YOUR WAIVER ASAP. Will take off Friday then do an 8 mile long Saturday. I'll be honest, still very nervous about my race in 3 weeks...

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Ran a very slow 5 today. Going to be running the 8 mile Turkey trot at pace tomorrow. IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY SIGNED UP FOR THE VIRTUAL TROT SEND ME YOUR WAIVER ASAP. Will take off Friday then do an 8 mile long Saturday. I'll be honest, still very nervous about my race in 3 weeks...

Ha, when is your race again? Mine and Dave's is on December 3, so I've got an 8 mile long run tune up this Saturday and a tempo run at my local 10k tomorrow.

Of course, it also qualifies for the resetera race as well :).

...and yes, I think I will be nervous for the next two weeks until the marathon >.>...

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ha, when is your race again? Mine and Dave's is on December 3, so I've got an 8 mile long run tune up this Saturday and a tempo run at my local 10k tomorrow.

Of course, it also qualifies for the resetera race as well :).

...and yes, I think I will be nervous for the next two weeks until the marathon >.>...

December 10th I think so 2 weeks away. My taper starts next week (I think I'm still going to hit 34 miles this week). I for sure am stronger than the beginning of the season but I don't enough if I'll be strong enough. I think I am going to stay in my current pace group in the spring to continue improving. I'm way too tired after my current runs which tells me I am probably not quite ready yet b

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
December 10th I think so 2 weeks away. My taper starts next week (I think I'm still going to hit 34 miles this week). I for sure am stronger than the beginning of the season but I don't enough if I'll be strong enough. I think I am going to stay in my current pace group in the spring to continue improving. I'm way too tired after my current runs which tells me I am probably not quite ready yet b

Well, nothing to do but try and get your moon shot :). Since I know you use a Fenix 5, I'm a bit curious. How close to your goal does "race prediction" say you are?

My F3 has me clocking a marathon at 3:40 at my current fitness/vo2, which honestly correlated to my recent Yasso 800 times. Still have no idea HOW to achieve that but it's quite interesting imo.

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Well, nothing to do but try and get your moon shot :). Since I know you use a Fenix 5, I'm a bit curious. How close to your goal does "race prediction" say you are?

My F3 has me clocking a marathon at 3:40 at my current fitness/vo2, which honestly correlated to my recent Yasso 800 times. Still have no idea HOW to achieve that but it's quite interesting imo.

Assuming the 5k distance I did last week was accurate I was within 3 seconds of predicted time. BUT results vary depending on conditions. I think estimate assumes otherwise idea conditions. Mine is showing a 1'37"40 for the half currently.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Assuming the 5k distance I did last week was accurate I was within 3 seconds of predicted time. BUT results vary depending on conditions. I think estimate assumes otherwise idea conditions. Mine is showing a 1'37"40 for the half currently.

I just did a half at 2hrs 33mins on Sunday and my watch thinks I can do it at 1hr 52mins. I am glad it has so much faith in me...

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just finished my 8 mile trot. 1'03" 20 in 8 miles. PR'ed by 7 mins versus last year and finished 503rd overall. Very happy given i had already run 18 miles this week.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
Weather was that bad yesterday i didnt get out - even if it had stopped hammering it down for 5m i would have went out but literally torrential rain all night.

Dont mind starting and getting wet but soaked before you start especially when its cold isnt fun

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Got my 7.2 miles in for final marathon pace practice within a 10k combined with era virtual race ....aka my turducken!

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
Dang, you guys put my speed to shame. My half is next Saturday, December 3rd, as well. My training has been more Willy-nilly than I would have liked; going to aim for 9 min/mile pace. Won't be a PR but will be good enough.

The_Inquisitor , a couple pages back you mentioned you liked your Fenix 3, other than the sleep tracking; did you have a Garmin before that? If so, what made you jump to the Fenix? I've been sporting a FR225 for over two years now but it's starting to get long in the tooth and I'm having several failures, from inaccurate HR measurements to losing entire runs.

OP
OP
The_Inquisitor
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Dang, you guys put my speed to shame. My half is next Saturday, December 3rd, as well. My training has been more Willy-nilly than I would have liked; going to aim for 9 min/mile pace. Won't be a PR but will be good enough.

The_Inquisitor , a couple pages back you mentioned you liked your Fenix 3, other than the sleep tracking; did you have a Garmin before that? If so, what made you jump to the Fenix? I've been sporting a FR225 for over two years now but it's starting to get long in the tooth and I'm having several failures, from inaccurate HR measurements to losing entire runs.

I have a Fenix 5. I jumped from an Apple Watch because it is a colossal piece of shit when it comes to run tracking and I knew Garmin makes good stuff (I own an Edge 820 on my bike). I also wanted something I felt could last 3 years plus had a decent battery life. What I realized is that I just want my smart watch to track me accurately and give notifications. I don't need any of the other crap. Haven't looked back since.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017

That would be me who has the Fx3, The_Inquisitor has a Fenix 5. I could answer this question as well though. I had a Vivoactive before my Fx3, but I jumped for the heart rate and more in-depth training features than the active. Not to mention the battery is much better than the active w/ GPS on.

If you're looking for the newest Garmin, the Fx is defeintite consideration but otherwise if you could get a cheaper Fx3, it's well worth it. Got mine when the Fx5 came out for 200.00 cheaper and haven't looked back. Really glad I went with it lol. Sorry for hijaking the question, but figured I could chime in since I've had two generations of Garmins :).

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do my fair share of long runs, tempo runs, hill sprints, etc. w my local running group but more importantly I've learned to take my easy/recovery days slow to develop my endurance in hopes that it eventually catches up to my actual speed.

For example, I can run a 10k at 7:45-7:50 pace, but I don't practice that most runs. Most of my runs are at 9:45-10:45 pace so I can keep training and avoid too much downtime.
I don't do tempo runs and hill sprints. Maybe I need to join running clubs so they can teach me how to do these things. Also my recovery day is technically my gym day, heh, because I do these things in alternating days.

I'm a but nervous with lugging my phone for this run, but I'll try. Also joined the Strava club. Since I run dusks, hopefully my data cooperates. Good luck on your upcoming race!

On the subject of watches, good grief, the Fenix costs as much as a camera.

PS: is the Strava leaderboard a single run distance or cumulative?

Last edited:

DaveTheSnake

Oct 27, 2017
California
Technically I'm on week 2 of my taper lol. Started cutting down mileage last week.

Since CIM is what, 10 days away [lol], I'm taking it easy this week w slow paced runs except for tomorrow. My coach wants me to use local 10k as a speed workout/marathon pace tempo run. That said, still waiting for my heart rate to return to norm level so we'll see how this goes :).

How about you?

I'm on week 2 also. I've been experiencing some plantar fasciitis issues over the last week, but I'm slowly getting better. Should be ready to go on Dec 3rd, but still a little nervous since the PF is something I've never had to deal with before. What is your goal time? Hope to see you out there.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on week 2 also. I've been experiencing some plantar fasciitis issues over the last week, but I'm slowly getting better. Should be ready to go on Dec 3rd, but still a little nervous since the PF is something I've never had to deal with before. What is your goal time? Hope to see you out there.

"Moon shot" goal based off of Yasso 800s, today's practice and race predictors has me at 3:40-3:45. Realistically, I'm hoping for 3:50-4:00 hours so we'll see.

Anyhow, happy thanksgiving and enjoy the rest of your taper!

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
I have a Fenix 5. I jumped from an Apple Watch because it is a colossal piece of shit when it comes to run tracking and I knew Garmin makes good stuff

Sorry for hijaking the question, but figured I could chime in since I've had two generations of Garmins :).

Thanks guys for the insight. I looked into the Apple Watch as well but honestly I don't care to get those notifications on my wrist. Definitely going to go with a Garmin, might bite the bullet and take the Fenix plunge.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys for the insight. I looked into the Apple Watch as well but honestly I don't care to get those notifications on my wrist. Definitely going to go with a Garmin, might bite the bullet and take the Fenix plunge.

If you have a Best Buy near you and money on hand, Fenix 3 on sale for 299.99. Forgot if I saw the Fx5.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm screwed out of the Virtual Trot. I clicked on Record, but I don't think the GPS worked at all. So it recorded an elapsed time but not the distance. When I hit finish, it kept telling me it needed more data/distance to upload and analyze, so in the end, I had to discard it. Well I guess one good thing about this is I'm part of the Era Strava club now. Good luck to the participants! :)

PS: also I guess I'll just save up for a Fenix 3 too

I was planning to pick up a Fenix 3 as a replacement for my Vivoactive HR but decided on this option instead: pick up the Apple watch for everyday use/practice days and use the Garmin for race days.

The battery on my Vivoactive isn't as great as it used to be (I think it's draining faster between charges) and I really want my watch to track gym/cardio activities (the newer Garmins do that now). For the price of the Vivoactive 3, I can just get an Apple watch...

slow-twitch

Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting from the fitness thread.

Anyone here also take part in triathlons? I am looking to try to increase lean muscle to improve power output for bike/run not too fussed about the swim component.

Im mid 40's and carry next to no fat 53kg/162cm - my diet in general is pretty decent(healthy eating other half) but i dont really have any post exercise targeted food.

I am looking to start including some strength training(mainly body weight to start with till i get gym access) and some form of whey protein post exercise shake.

In general does it sound like i am going down a sensible route or is there anything obvious i am missing.

Oh also can anyone a good tri specific forum?

It's very hard to gain muscle mass on high mileage. If you want to put mass, beside eating more protein you need to switch to maintenance mode for your endurance training, the minimum to keep your fitness. Nothing hard and no mileage that will trigger angiogenesis and other competitor to muscle hypertrophy (your body is limited by how it can respond to stimuli via hormones such as GH). Workouts should be related to gaining muscles mass. Winter is a good time to do that if the weather/footing is bad in your part of the world.

Beside that, I cannot help you with triathlon training. I only really know mid to long distance running. If you were purely a runner, I would advise against gaining muscle mass (not strength training) unless your goal races are 3k or less.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
Ya'll have suggestions for a relatively light, low heel-drop stability shoe for someone who enjoys minimalist running but pronates pretty severely? Does such a thing exist?