• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Wow there is thread for such a thing? Neat.

I have bad hapit of getting breaks from running for weeks then come back for one week until i get tired , I wish I can be more consistent.

But on the good news i ran for 3k 2 days in a row (walking fast + running).

any advice for how to make it a daily hapit ?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
My hip/joints can't handle longer runs any more. Even running 5 miles regularly makes my shit hurt. But I've found that running 3 to 4 miles every day, rather than 5 to 6 every other day, is actually tolerable and sustainable without any enduring pain to my joints/hip.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Wow there is thread for such a thing? Neat.

I have bad hapit of getting breaks from running for weeks then come back for one week until i get tired , I wish I can be more consistent.

But on the good news i ran for 3k 2 days in a row (walking fast + running).

any advice for how to make it a daily hapit ?
I don't run daily but have put it into my routine. Getting up at like half 5 / 6 in a morning and going for a 5k run 3 times a week and then a longer run on a weekend. Difficult to keep it going but find listening to music helps me the most, especially on those dark wet and windy mornings

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I don't run daily but have put it into my routine. Getting up at like half 5 / 6 in a morning and going for a 5k run 3 times a week and then a longer run on a weekend. Difficult to keep it going but find listening to music helps me the most, especially on those dark wet and windy mornings
Yes my biggest problem I found was music list. I dont know where to find good list of music.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Finished 2km today.

When I first started I could barely finish 1 km.

Its not much but its a start
2km is around 2km more than what many people run :P

You don't need to add the qualifier "not much" - it's all about pushing your personal limits. Congrats on the progress you made.

Today's long run was pretty intense. "28k at 5:40 pace" turned into 29k at 5:05 pace.
And if that wasn't bad enough, I spent all afternoon helping a friend move furniture ... gonna sleep like a baby tonight.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Keep it up. It's not going to be easy but keeping the habit going and pushing yourself to run 3 or 4 times a week and you'll notice th difference fast

2km is around 2km more than what many people run :P

You don't need to add the qualifier "not much" - it's all about pushing your personal limits. Congrats on the progress you made.

Today's long run was pretty intense. "28k at 5:40 pace" turned into 29k at 5:05 pace.
And if that wasn't bad enough, I spent all afternoon helping a friend move furniture ... gonna sleep like a baby tonight.

Thanks you guys.

I actually only run once a week. I might improve that to 3 or 4 times a week. Last week I couldn't run the entire 2km last week, Had to stop and walk for 50 M at around the 1.6km mark, but decided to push myself today.

nix6

Oct 28, 2017
Hi guys,

Beginner runner here.
After 2-3 weeks of running (intervals walking-running) I get pain in ankles..To be specific in inner (medial) part. On the right foot it also hurts in the foot arch during the run, but not always. Then I rest until pain is gone and try again but the pain comes back again after 2-3 weeks.. I repeated this 3 or 4 times, each time hoping it will go away.

I took a foot scan in a running store before I started running and they said to get neutral cushioned shoes so I bought Adidas boost. They also said that on the right foot I use outer side of the foot just a bit more than normal. Maybe that is related to tension/pain in the arch?

I read in several places that the pain is due to the foot arch dropping to much and that I should get shoes with more stability/support. But this goes against what I read about supination for which the cushioned neutral shoes are recommended

Are there any shoes that could provide support and cushioning? Could that help with ankles?

I browsed local stores (I am in EU) and right now there are great discounts on Saucony Guide ISO, Mizuno Inspire 14, Nike Structure 21.
I also tried Adidas Solar Glide ST, but they are still full price. But I have no problem with ordering online (sportshoes.com, runningwarehouse.eu,...)

tnx

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I'd look into HOW you're running too - most of the injuries from running aren't from shoes, but from people running in a manner they shouldn't.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
I had my best run in a while this morning, with somewhat really worn shoes (and I can feel it now).

WwUvxSx.jpg

I used to run every other mornings but these days, I feel like I have better perfs when I run 3 times a week. (duh)
How do you guys cope with rest between runs? Idealy, I 'd run every day if I could, but I don't think my body would handle it...

Also, new shoes !
asics-noosa-ff-2-m-chaussures-homme-217800-1-fz.jpg

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I used to run every other mornings but these days, I feel like I have better perfs when I run 3 times a week. (duh)
How do you guys cope with rest between runs? Idealy, I 'd run every day if I could, but I don't think my body would handle it...

Well it's kinda obvious why you were suffering
- Worn out shoes
- Going all out for a run

If you want to run on a more regular basis run slower.
If you want to run longer run slower
If you want to run faster first run slower.

Most of your runs should be done at pace where you would be able to have a simple discussion with someone else.

Don't increase the weekly mileage/running days too quickly as well, give time for you body to adapt otherwise it's a recipe for injury and a big setback.

I run 3 times a week and do bike 1 time a week as well, I barely, if at all, do my weekly mileage at racing pace.

Do you have a race scheduled by the end of the year?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
- Worn out shoes

Most of your runs should be done at pace where you would be able to have a simple discussion with someone else.

Don't increase the weekly mileage/running days too quickly as well, give time for you body to adapt otherwise it's a recipe for injury and a big setback.

I run 3 times a week and do bike 1 time a week as well, I barely, if at all, do my weekly mileage at racing pace.

I can absolutely vouch for this.

In prior years, I mostly ran by myself and always tried to push myself during my training runs - i.e. try to improve pace or distance with every week or so.
This year, most of my training runs were with 2-3 other people, mostly at "conversation" pace and I've made the biggest improvements in my (now ... 6 years) 'running career'.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
- Worn out shoes

Thanks,I'll take your guys advice and force myself to lower the pace.

This has been pretty much my usual run routine for years now.
I'm not training for anything, (although i'd like to run a marathon one day).
I pretty much run only as a "cure" for depression. But it's the kind of stupid stubborness that make me feel like I'm not doing enough if I don't get to that "usual" pace.

I get that it's ridiculous to care for perfs when I'm not training for anything and only run for mental health. Brain is weird.

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks,I'll take your guys advice and force myself to lower the pace.

This has been pretty much my usual run routine for years now.
I'm not training for anything, (although i'd like to run a marathon one day).
I pretty much run only as a "cure" for depression. But it's the kind of stupid stubborness that make me feel like I'm not doing enough if I don't get to that "usual" pace.

I get that it's ridiculous to care for perfs when I'm not training for anything and only run for mental health. Brain is weird.

Yah, it's really hard to learn to lower the pace at first, but then you get used to it the more you practice. I used to personally think that it was a waste of time and energy, but now I'm on board with it and stress it :). I'm fully capable of holding around a 8:00 per mile pace for a half marathon but when I do easy runs? 10-11:30/mi is not out of the realm of possibilities! Good luck!!

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Today was the first time since about April that it was cold enough to put on some UA cold gear. 3 degrees with wind. Absolutely perfect running weather, dry, bright and cold. Maybe the wind could have gone but helped cool down on the final uphill run. Not a particularly great time by me but enjoyed it all the same.
Getting a buff / snood was a good idea too. Really kept the cold away from my neck and back

Deleted member 28368

Oct 31, 2017
Sunday means a lengthy run, but I had the desire to be a little restrictive and just try and push for my best 10k time. Which I managed to achieve! My new 10k PB is 56:34, which after just 6 weeks or so of regular running I'm very happy with.

However, after the 10k was done, I felt so good that I decided to keep going. My previous longest run was 10.26 miles, so I set that as my goal and just kept on going. Next thing I knew I'd managed to hit 12 miles, and with that being so close to a half marathon I decided to keep on going. My steady 9.00min/mi pace dropped as my legs finally started to feel a little less steady, but I managed the half marathon in a time of 2:00:28. Very happy with that, and a new target to aim to beat in the future! Managed to keep on running a little further, but finally stopped at 13.72 miles with my body really starting to feel it.

A good days work all in all!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Sunday means a lengthy run, but I had the desire to be a little restrictive and just try and push for my best 10k time. Which I managed to achieve! My new 10k PB is 56:34, which after just 6 weeks or so of regular running I'm very happy with.

However, after the 10k was done, I felt so good that I decided to keep going. My previous longest run was 10.26 miles, so I set that as my goal and just kept on going. Next thing I knew I'd managed to hit 12 miles, and with that being so close to a half marathon I decided to keep on going. My steady 9.00min/mi pace dropped as my legs finally started to feel a little less steady, but I managed the half marathon in a time of 2:00:28. Very happy with that, and a new target to aim to beat in the future! Managed to keep on running a little further, but finally stopped at 13.72 miles with my body really starting to feel it.

A good days work all in all!

giphy.gif

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up my second marathon medal and the hot new indie game

Strava Link

I beat my time last year by near 2 minutes which Im fine with. But my knee kind of exploded after 25km and my pace tanked (as you can clearly see)

It had been bothering me a little recently but during the regular runs it never got too bad. Here it was excruciating for a while.

Any medical experts can help its at the upper knee area where the ball of the femur is, on the inside of the leg. Just a little bundle of ouch for about 2 hours.

Its about that time of year I take a little break anyway.

Last edited:

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up my second marathon medal and the hot new indie game

Strava Link

I beat my time last year by near 2 minutes which Im fine with. But my knee kind of exploded after 25km and my pace tanked (as you can clearly see)

It had been bothering me a little recently but during the regular runs it never got too bad. Here it was excruciating for a while.

Any medical experts can help its at the upper knee area where the ball of the femur is, on the inside of the leg. Just a little bundle of ouch for about 2 hours.

Its about that time of year I take a little break anyway.
Nice!

You running in Nike Pegasus 35?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice!

You running in Nike Pegasus 35?

Yeah. Came from a pair of 32's

I like them well enough. Maybe a plasibo but I think they helped cut some time off my 5k time. Over half marathon? Not sure I am feeling em. I might want something with absorbent.

Oh and gray and red one is fire

Last edited:

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. Came from a pair of 32's

I like them well enough. Maybe a plasibo but I think they helped cut some time off my 5k time. Over half marathon? Not sure I am feeling em. I might want something with absorbent.

Oh and gray and red one is fire
I have the same pair! Wasn't sure how great they were tbh, especially compared to my NB 1080S but much more impressed you managed such a far distance on them. I only do 10k but was worried I'd get foot problems as they feel stiffer than my old trainers .

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do you dudes and dudettes avoid the dreaded leg cramps when running on consecutive days?, i want to run 5 days a week but when i try i can feel my calf muscle starting to get in a knot and i have to stop running (around the 4th day), granted maybe i'm overdoing it because i run right after i train... could that be it?

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
How do you dudes and dudettes avoid the dreaded leg cramps when running on consecutive days?, i want to run 5 days a week but when i try i can feel my calf muscle starting to get in a knot and i have to stop running (around the 4th day), granted maybe i'm overdoing it because i run right after i train... could that be it?
I've had cramp once in about 12 months which was during sleep. I only run 5k 2/3 times a week and 10k 1/2 times a week.but I run at around 6 or 7 am

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
I never seen to get them while running, but after running OMG. The harder the run (speed or elevation), the worse the post-run cramps. Foam rolling, trying to get to a few Yoga classes each week (my inflexibility makes everyone else look good), really easy runs after a hard run, cross training (swimming, aqua jogging even a bike ride for fitness if I have to - not a fan as I commute by bike already), magnesium daily, keeping hydrated are strategies I continue to use. No magic fixes from me sorry, but I'd look at easing up on the intensity on some of those runs (think time on feet, not pace) or swap one run out for a different cardio activity.

Edit: when I get a monster cramp I find trying to calm down, breathe slowly and visualise the muscle releasing. Seems to help and prevent the cramp from jumping from calf to hamstring to quad to foot etc.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Are you properly hydrated? Do you eat properly? What are you training before running?

Cramps happen for a reason, overtraining might be one of those but usually it can be avoided even in that case.
Also since when did you try to run daily? Did you ramp up progressively your training days?

I've never had cramp while running and I honestly can't remember last time I had a cramp somewhere else than my feet (thanks to them being hollow)

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
I don't cramp often, but when it happens it's usually a calf cramp from dehydration/exhaustion after a long run or marathon. I use Nuun and salt tabs to supplement during my runs (the latter only when it's warmer) and that seems to help to an extent.

So does anyone use an Apple Watch 3 (or 4) for running? Thinking about getting one with LTE so I can stop taking my phone with me on my training runs.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I don't cramp often, but when it happens it's usually a calf cramp from dehydration/exhaustion after a long run or marathon. I use Nuun and salt tabs to supplement during my runs (the latter only when it's warmer) and that seems to help to an extent.

So does anyone use an Apple Watch 3 (or 4) for running? Thinking about getting one with LTE so I can stop taking my phone with me on my training runs.
Used to use the S2 Apple watch and it was great for running. I personally prefer my Garmin forerunner 645m as it gives me more details about my running but not sure if the apple watches have improved in series 3 and 4

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
Used to use the S2 Apple watch and it was great for running. I personally prefer my Garmin forerunner 645m as it gives me more details about my running but not sure if the apple watches have improved in series 3 and 4

I do have a Garmin 235 I like, and it would still be a backup. I feel like I would probably get more utility out of it than the 645m, but I'm feeling like having LTE on my wrist would put the Apple watch over the top. I dunno *shrug*.

So apparently there's going to be a Nike Vaporfly 4% restock on the 1st. Going to try to snag a pair and then see if they can magically make me a sub 3 hour marathoner in the spring. Unless, of course, I'm told at the end of November at my follow-up that I DO have to get hip surgery. Then...who knows. That would be a 6 to 9 month recovery :(.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you properly hydrated? Do you eat properly? What are you training before running?

Cramps happen for a reason, overtraining might be one of those but usually it can be avoided even in that case.
Also since when did you try to run daily? Did you ramp up progressively your training days?

I've never had cramp while running and I honestly can't remember last time I had a cramp somewhere else than my feet (thanks to them being hollow)
I train boxing/mma before i go for a run, i train from 5 pm - 7 pm, get home around 8 pm and go out and run for around 45-50 minutes. I drink one liter of water before i train, another one after i am done training. And then another after i get back from running. I was running Mon, Wed and Fri, but was trying to amp it up to run from M - F, i did ramp it up progressively. I do eat properly and even take supplements and protein shakes and bananas (they help right?).

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
I train boxing/mma before i go for a run, i train from 5 pm - 7 pm, get home around 8 pm and go out and run for around 45-50 minutes. I drink one liter of water before i train, another one after i am done training. And then another after i get back from running. I was running Mon, Wed and Fri, but was trying to amp it up to run from M - F, i did ramp it up progressively. I do eat properly and even take supplements and protein shakes and bananas (they help right?).

Given that you're doing the nutritional side well as far as I can tell, I'd say it's probably some combo of overtraining and adaptation. Maybe try backing off to where you're doing 3 consecutive days, then 4 and 5. On the intermediate days (such as Tuesday if you are doing Monday through Wednesday) maybe reduce the pace and/or time on your feet and treat it as a recovery run. It takes some trial and error and a lot of patience but you probably still need to give your legs more time to adapt to the increased workload.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. One of my toenails came off.

It was pretty damaged and just kinda painlessly fell out trying to trim it so I assume it was knocked out during that marathon the other day and finally came off now since the skin was only holding it in.

Lovely.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Cool. One of my toenails came off.

It was pretty damaged and just kinda painlessly fell out trying to trim it so I assume it was knocked out during that marathon the other day and finally came off now since the skin was only holding it in.

Lovely.

You know you're hardcore on the distance when you start losing toe nails :-)

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Eww. I value my toenails. Some of my running buddies seem to always be in the process of losing a few. But yeah, they tend to be the high mileage trail runners.

Closing in on sub 90 minutes for the half marathon. I ran 92:31 yesterday on a flat but windy and hot (enough to feel the road radiating heat) course and took 3:28 out of my previous best. Looks like <90 will be a goal for next year.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Ran some local 10k race (which ended up 10.2km as the speaker said at the end) not too far from home, almost one and half a year that I didn't do one as I'm not really fond of that "short" distance anymore, but it was close and I had a sibling and a friend participating so it was a good occasion.
Ended up with a 37:59 chip time, 37:58 on my watch (chip was only detected at the arrival) and well, as I feared it wasn't pleasant once again on sensations, first 3-4km where easy but it was only a mental fight afterwards trying to keep up the pace, I ended up going below 18:00 for 5k for the first time (17:56), 10k was a 37:11 (38:20 previous record). I can't say that I prepared well the days before the race, I was on an extended week-end with friends from Wednesday to Saturday and it involved not decent enough sleep and a decent amount of cheat meals (no alcohool though), only managed to put a 11k easy run on Thursday morning.
Wheather was good however, dry fresh and cloudy, the race itself not so flat (especially a 100-200m small climb close from the end that killed my legs) and the road was very small at time with a fair amount of 90° turns and a mix of grass, concrete and soil.

Nice stopgap race though, real objective is a half marathon in two weeks with a 1h22 target, need to go back to training a little bit now to get back in 100% shape.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty excited for this weekend. It will be my first 24 hour event. I will be competing in World's Toughest Mudder (Get as many laps as possible of a 5 miles course with ~25 obstacles). It's a new venue so not sure on mileage but hoping to go the whole 24 hours and hit 50+ miles. Never put in so many miles training so hoping it pays off.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Been training for my first half marathon - beginning runner, so I've had to learn a lot in a short amount of time. Have made a few mistakes, but have had a few other people training with me to provide guidance.

20 week plan to get to the mileage... on week 10 and have noticed the patella/runner's knee issue sneaking up on me. Have braces and the strap to help and working on stretching and strengthening the quads... but think I just got a bad case of bursitis - inner knee, below the joint that is just KILLING me... hoping a week or two off will heal it and allow me to modify training and still make the half marathon - it would crush me if I couldn't run it :(

I've never liked running, until now on this current plan... and I get it now, and all these beginner injuries are all hitting me RIGHT in the middle of the training. I know I'll recover, just have to figure out a few things... it's just so frustrating.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Been training for my first half marathon - beginning runner, so I've had to learn a lot in a short amount of time. Have made a few mistakes, but have had a few other people training with me to provide guidance.

20 week plan to get to the mileage... on week 10 and have noticed the patella/runner's knee issue sneaking up on me. Have braces and the strap to help and working on stretching and strengthening the quads... but think I just got a bad case of bursitis - inner knee, below the joint that is just KILLING me... hoping a week or two off will heal it and allow me to modify training and still make the half marathon - it would crush me if I couldn't run it :(

I've never liked running, until now on this current plan... and I get it now, and all these beginner injuries are all hitting me RIGHT in the middle of the training. I know I'll recover, just have to figure out a few things... it's just so frustrating.

It's part of the learning, it might be frustrating at times but no matter what you'll definitely get something out of the experience wether it's the injury, the training or the race.
Do know that it's pretty rare that all stars align on race day, even with years of experience and knowing your limits, how to train, eating/sleeping properly etc.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Only two more 5K races left for me this year. I'm hoping to break 23 minutes for the first time in one of them.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Anyone here using a Polar M430? Can I add differenting personal Intervalls? Like starting with, for example 1. 2 Minutes Running, 2. 1 Minute Walking, 2:30 Minutes Running and then on the next day 2:30 Running, 2. 0:30 Minutes Walking, 3. 5 Minutes Running, etc etc?

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a road runner but got talked into running a trail half marathon. Dont know why (oh yeah, it is through Kualoa Ranch, Jurassic Park, Kong, some other movies. Mainly want to say I ran Jurrasic Park) Distance will be fine, but worried about shoes, as they advertise that it will go down some muddy slopes. Oh well.

Curious what everyone uses for water on long runs. Really hate all the straps on the Camelback style designs, but am getting tired of carrying a water bottle. Belt the only other real option?

Deleted member 28368

Oct 31, 2017
So last time I posted I'd ran that unexpected half marathon. Since then things haven't gone so well...

After that I decided I needed to give my body a break. Combined with some more general 'life' things all going on, I didn't get chance to head out for a run until the next weekend. However, after that half marathon the outer part of my right foot had felt a little sore. Not overly painful, but just a little sore. That was still around last weekend, but I pushed through and ran a very nice 10k last Saturday.

On Sunday, my foot was absolute agony. I could barely walk, and that pain continued into the week, but did gradually ease off. My foot started to swell a little too. I kept off it as much as possible, kept it elevated, and used as much of that Deep Freeze stuff I was allowed to. Eventually, on Friday I noticed some discoloration on the outside of my foot, despite the pain/soreness having almost entirely disappeared. That's now died down a little, and my foot finally feels comfortable to walk on.

My assumption is I strained or sprained something. So I'm keeping away from running for this week ahead too, despite it starting to feel back to 100%. Don't want to go hurting it again! Assuming all is pain free and fine I'll reevaluate next weekend and possibly go for a very easy 5k to see how things feel.

It's been a knock back, but the fact I'm missing it so much proves I really do love to run again! Hopefully in a few weeks time I'm right back into the swing of things. But with no desire to push myself too far too quickly again...

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Nice stopgap race though, real objective is a half marathon in two weeks with a 1h22 target, need to go back to training a little bit now to get back in 100% shape.

There we go, 1h21m50s, I secretly hoped for a low 1:20:xx but that's as much as I could do this morning, maybe in top form/condition that would have been manageable but I can't complain, I felt much better than my previous two races and I'm already glad for that.
I even did the first 10k in 38:20 which makes my 37:10 PB really laughable relatively, no negative split as I got slowly weaker as the race went on (19:06-19:16-19:31-19:37 5k splits during the race) but I think my body is more used to the half effort now and 10k became an unnatural distance that I can't seem to manage decently.
Props to two of my work colleagues I ran a good part of the race with, it's kinda incredible that the three of us are so close to each other in term of pace, I ran with one of them from the start to KM 18-19 (and then he took of and finished in 1h21m17s, or rather it was me going more slowly) and the three of us from KM 7 to 16 (he started after us, slowly catched up at KM7 but then had a troublesome last water supply spot, had to stop, didn't get water dropped his gel and never catched up to us, still finished in 1h22m10s though)

Now a little bit of rest and back to build up more mileage for the next big target, Tokyo Marathon in March for a sub 2h55, I registered for my first (24km) trail this december in the meantime, intend to go there and discover/have fun instead of focusing on time which should help me get back my love of running even more .

And I'm ready for winter \o/

Last edited:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Nice work, Fisico, under your target if not your secret 2nd target heh. Your Tokyo plan looks plenty doable given that time.

My next target is to stay in bed a lot and play with my switch & ps4 after finishing 5 hard and long marathons in 5 days (and finishing fastest of the 21 left standing by day 5 :P ). I didn't come post about them 'cause I've been really sick and wasn't even sure if I should attempt just the first. I've got a fun fell race on NYE then some super long stuff next year. No target times, no pressure, just dipping my toe into some proper ultra running.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Great run. Some seriously consistent splits.

after finishing 5 hard and long marathons in 5 days (and finishing fastest of the 21 left standing by day 5 :P ).
Congratulations on a huge effort. I've been following those runs on Strava with interest.

Less than two weeks till my 2nd marathon - and last day under 40 years old. Since it's on gravel roads in an open alpine environment at the start of summer the conditions could be anything from 0°C with a southerly headwind to 30°C with a northwest tailwind. What will be will be. Hoping to go under 3:30 given reasonable conditions.