• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

slow-twitch

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine challenged me to a 2k race. He's a grym rat who doesn't run, and I'm an on and off runner, I usually do between 5-15k but I haven't been running for a few months and I was never particularly fast anyway (probably a 25min 5K at my best). I have no idea how to train for that distance, I was thinking do focus on 1 km sprints, but any suggestions would be welcome. It's an awkward distance for me, so much about willpower.

When is your target race?

2k is a weird distance. I would approach training like a 1600m.

You won't have time to build a base if it's too soon.

The following is assuming it's in 1-2 months max.
Workouts should be mostly of short speed stuff.
Go for the leg speed and short term V0² max workouts.
  • 10x200m and 3x600m intervals once a week each.
  • Easy running for 30-45 minutes every other day.
  • 5-10x100m strides after easy runs twice per week.
  • Take a day off when you're tired.
Since you have not run in a while, start with 1-2 weeks of only easy running first.

If you have more time, look for a base training/pre-season plan for 1600m.

Last edited:

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
eot, how long till the race? If it's not far off, you won't have time to work on endurance and see results (which could go in your favour, since you run already).
Well shoot, I agree with slow-twitch. Also look at dropping some weight (if sensible) as fat don't twitch.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I'm pretty happy with finally running a steady pace of 12 km/u for about 18 km and keeping my heartrate under 150. Uptill a couple weeks ago I'd be able to keep that pace for around 12k and then drop. Over the last couple weeks it slowly got better and better. Only a couple k's to add and I'm at half-marathon length.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When is your target race?

2k is a weird distance. I would approach training like a 1600m.

You won't have time to build a base if it's too soon.

The following is assuming it's in 1-2 months max.
Workouts should be mostly of short speed stuff.
Go for the leg speed and short term V0² max workouts.
  • 10x200m and 3x600m intervals once a week each.
  • Easy running for 30-45 minutes every other day.
  • 5-10x100m strides after easy runs twice per week.
  • Take a day off when you're tired.
Since you have not run in a while, start with 1-2 weeks of only easy running first.

If you have more time, look for a base training/pre-season plan for 1600m.
eot, how long till the race? If it's not far off, you won't have time to work on endurance and see results (which could go in your favour, since you run already).
Well shoot, I agree with slow-twitch. Also look at dropping some weight (if sensible) as fat don't twitch.
Thanks for the replies guys, seems like there are indeed a lot of training plans for 1600m. The race would probably be beginning of February, so about 2 months from now. Dropping weight is not really an option since I'm ~143 lbs @ 6'2 :P (other guy is over 210 lbs hah)

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys, seems like there are indeed a lot of training plans for 1600m. The race would probably be beginning of February, so about 2 months from now. Dropping weight is not really an option since I'm ~143 lbs @ 6'2 :P (other guy is over 210 lbs hah)
Sweet. Work on that speed and keep up a weekly 5-15km at easy pace to keep the endurance going. Good luck.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
I'm pretty happy with finally running a steady pace of 12 km/u for about 18 km and keeping my heartrate under 150. Uptill a couple weeks ago I'd be able to keep that pace for around 12k and then drop. Over the last couple weeks it slowly got better and better. Only a couple k's to add and I'm at half-marathon length.
Awesome work. Nice to see progress after consistent effort!

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks! Feels good :). Off to a run in the snow now, not gonna try and make good time, just stay on foot :). Doesn't snow that much where I live, so somewhat of a novelty experience.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I id my last 5K of the year on Saturday and couldn't quite get under 23 minutes. That'll be my goal for 2019.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
On my way to upping mileage before Tokyo Marathon in early march.
I used to stick to two running days a week for the longest time +1 long bike the week-end mostly because I had a knee injury 4y ago when trying to run 3d/week (which, in retrospect, was more likely caused by shit shoes and not the mileage itself), two months ago I tried to add a third running day just after the bike day and it went fine, with winter and cold temperature I replaced the bike by running a few weeks ago and once again no problem.
Next month I'll add a fifth, and last, easy running and hope to cram 250-300km monthly January/February.

So far everything is going well, I've also added a second and third pair of running shoes for the first time (used to only go with one pair before), one lighter and one for trail, and I'm rotating between the three depending on how long/where I run.

Basically I'm taking the thing more seriously and improve my training gradually, considering how I improved on distance/speed for the past few years without much effort I'm kinda thrilled at how far I can go into that hobby, exciting stuff ahead.

Planned training for Jan/Feb
Monday: Rest (30mn upper body strength training)
Tuesday : Tempo (15-20mn easy pace, 30mn various training from 30-30 to climbing to 5' tempo 2'30 rest etc., 5-10mn easier pace)
Wednesday: Easy run
Thursday: Tempo (15-20mn easy pace, 30mn various training from 30-30 to climbing to 5' tempo 2'30 rest etc., 5-10mn easier pace)
Friday: Rest (30mn upper body strength training)
Saturday: Easy run (or bike if it's not too cold)
Sunday: Long run

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but i love the 'instability' running on snow/ice gives you ... like, i need to run much more 'consciously', focussing on maintaining my balance, because it's just not as grippy as when running on non-snow.

w7sBerg.png

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
On my way to upping mileage before Tokyo Marathon in early march.
I used to stick to two running days a week for the longest time +1 long bike the week-end mostly because I had a knee injury 4y ago when trying to run 3d/week (which, in retrospect, was more likely caused by shit shoes and not the mileage itself), two months ago I tried to add a third running day just after the bike day and it went fine, with winter and cold temperature I replaced the bike by running a few weeks ago and once again no problem.
Next month I'll add a fifth, and last, easy running and hope to cram 250-300km monthly January/February.

So far everything is going well, I've also added a second and third pair of running shoes for the first time (used to only go with one pair before), one lighter and one for trail, and I'm rotating between the three depending on how long/where I run.

Basically I'm taking the thing more seriously and improve my training gradually, considering how I improved on distance/speed for the past few years without much effort I'm kinda thrilled at how far I can go into that hobby, exciting stuff ahead.

Planned training for Jan/Feb
Monday: Rest (30mn upper body strength training)
Tuesday : Tempo (15-20mn easy pace, 30mn various training from 30-30 to climbing to 5' tempo 2'30 rest etc., 5-10mn easier pace)
Wednesday: Easy run
Thursday: Tempo (15-20mn easy pace, 30mn various training from 30-30 to climbing to 5' tempo 2'30 rest etc., 5-10mn easier pace)
Friday: Rest (30mn upper body strength training)
Saturday: Easy run (or bike if it's not too cold)
Sunday: Long run

Looking good! Don't be afraid to incorporate a little bit more speed training once you get comfortable with your trainging.

Do we have a running era discord? I know we have a Strava which I'm part of

We do indeed! And apparently I'm the only one in it, weird.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Well I'd take the invite as well Duebrithil , thanks for the advice, best hing is to look after my legs/listen to my body.
The easy day are especially hard, not because of tiredness but because I always want to speed up especially if I'm running with others.
The more we are the worse it gets too, it only takes one person to speak his mind "what about some 30s sprints?" for everyone (me included ofc) to take part in that, despite the day being flagged as "easy run" by everyone beforehand ahah.

Fliesen That's a lovely picture, would love to run on that too, it's also more pleasant to run on than hard concrete the "squishy" sound when it's still fresh and all. When it freezes and when it melts it's another story though.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very inviting path to run on, Fliesen !

Well I'd take the invite as well Duebrithil , thanks for the advice, best hing is to look after my legs/listen to my body.
The easy day are especially hard, not because of tiredness but because I always want to speed up especially if I'm running with others.
The more we are the worse it gets too, it only takes one person to speak his mind "what about some 30s sprints?" for everyone (me included ofc) to take part in that, despite the day being flagged as "easy run" by everyone beforehand ahah.

Yeah, it's important to see the easy/rest days as part of a larger training plan and not in a vacuum by themselves. Pushing yourself too hard when you should be resting might mean compromising the next quality session. If you run with someone that is following the same plan you are makes it easier though.

Did a half-marathon yesterday and managed to set a PB for 5K, 10K and HM distances. I've never felt the Marathon supercompensation this much. Got the last 10K of the year in two weeks time too, so I expect to lower the times for 5 and 10K even further.

Quote this post for the discord invite link.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
kelik

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I really should look into wearing something synthetic or wool when running in the rain for a long time. I just did a 90 minute run, wearing a cotton hoodie, and it rained non-stop. Hoodie gets heavy and all the water weight in the sweater was swaying/rocking the bottom half of the sweater like crazy, rather annoying. But when it's windy, the thin icebreaker (wool) sweater I have isn't giving me much warmth.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone looking at doing the DC marathon in March? It looks like my divorce trial will be a couple days after, so think I might sign up and go out there a little early and run it.

Trying to change my running time from the morning to the evening because of work and really miss the morning runs. Less traffic, fewer people, feel better in the morning. Also much easier for me to hydrate all night then throughout the day. Going to have to force it. At least weekends I can still run early.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Hey friends, I started running last week for the first time in my life. Currently trying to keep it simple and just using the C25K app on my phone which tells me when to run and when to walk. It's going really well (I'm very skinny so no weight holding me back). Just wondering what the preferred general running app is around here for when I get there. I only have an iPhone for now.

FYI I am in NYC and when I get to a good spot I'd be down to run with some ERA members. My goal for 2019 is a half marathon.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Hey friends, I started running last week for the first time in my life. Currently trying to keep it simple and just using the C25K app on my phone which tells me when to run and when to walk. It's going really well (I'm very skinny so no weight holding me back). Just wondering what the preferred general running app is around here for when I get there. I only have an iPhone for now.

FYI I am in NYC and when I get to a good spot I'd be down to run with some ERA members. My goal for 2019 is a half marathon.
Awesome. C25K is what got me going. I use Strava to track runs. There's a resetERA running club on Strava too.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Since it's the new year. My running goals are a 5 km under 19 minutes, a half marathon under 90 minutes and marathon under 3:15 (3:10 if condtions are perfect).

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
Well I should join the Strava community. Been running somewhat consistently for over a year. 3 times a week just to keep my basic fitness at an OK level.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to aim for a 5k under 19 minutes but getting it consistently under 20 would be better. I find where I run I tend to get around 22 but flat race can do it under 20. Also would like to do the Liverpool half in march if my training keeps up. Happy 2019 running guys

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My goals for 2019 are:
* Finish my first ever full marathon (i've done like ... 10 half marathons so far, never bothered to go full distance)
* Finish a Half Marathon sub 1:30:00 (current best is 1:31:08)
* run a lot

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Since mid-Nov I had a couple of weeks ill, and then a foot injury so have been really out of running.

The foot injury (I think tendonitis) is mostly easing up, but it does hurt more the day after I run. I did a Parkrun for the first time in a while yesterday, and managed to get in just under 24mins (my PB being 22:05), so not as far off the pace as I feared. Just want this injury to go away now.

This year hoping to get down at least close to a 21min 5k, maybe run a competitive 10k, thinking about joining a running club and hope to push my distance further as well - longest run I have ever done is around 11k.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
After setting a 38:11 PB for (the first) 10K in a half-marathon a couple of weeks ago I was confident that in the last 10K race of the year, 31/12/2018 at 17:30, I would be able to hit sub-38 for the first time ever. Felt pretty good during warm-up considering I had been working that day and the weather was perfect for running, so I decided to go all in once the race started.

Ended up finishing with a time of 36:34 :D

Going to have to rethink my running goals for 2019 I'm afraid

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Ended up finishing with a time of 36:34 :D

Going to have to rethink my running goals for 2019 I'm afraid
Not a bad problem to have ;-)

Since mid-Nov I had a couple of weeks ill, and then a foot injury so have been really out of running.

The foot injury (I think tendonitis) is mostly easing up, but it does hurt more the day after I run. I did a Parkrun for the first time in a while yesterday, and managed to get in just under 24mins (my PB being 22:05), so not as far off the pace as I feared. Just want this injury to go away now.

This year hoping to get down at least close to a 21min 5k, maybe run a competitive 10k, thinking about joining a running club and hope to push my distance further as well - longest run I have ever done is around 11k.
Best of luck with the injury recovery. You'll be at pb pace pretty quick by the looks of it. Clubs/group running keep running fun and are an easy way to maintain consistency. I hope you find one that's a good fit for you.

Last edited:

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Anyone headed to Disney World next week for Marathon weekend?

I'm going down to do my first half marathon, been training for 20 weeks (with a few weeks off for runner's knee/bursitis injuries); didn't get to the top limit of training... made 10 miles, and I'm hoping the adrenaline will take me over the top with the extra 3 miles.

This year has been quite a journey - I've gone from a complete dislike/hatred of running to a strong like (going to stop short of 'love'). Looking forward to seeing if I can make this :)

Last edited:

kelik

Oct 27, 2017
2019 goals:
* Get to sub 4 at Tokyo Marathon (Currently training for a 3:45 finish. So far so good!)
* Go 3:30 at Chicago Marathon
* Go sub 20 in 5K (set in high school). For reference purpose, I am 30. This would be monumental since college really did a number on me >_<

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
My 2019 goal is just to run consistently throughout the year. I've been slowly doing more and more but I keep falling off the wagon and having to start again. Would love to get back to running a sub 20 minute 5K.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
9pm run while it's snowing.

You come across literally zero people and during certain segments of my run the only visible tracks were the ones i left. Can only recommend.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I've never seen so many people running on my usual route as yesterday. New year resolutions still really a thing for a lot of people it seems. Usually I greet every runner I meet (since we're totes in the minority where I run compared to people walking their dogs or just walking) but I stopped after I saw the amount of people going at it yesterday hahaha.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I would like to get into running. I'm a complete and utter noob. I look quite athletic but I am actually the most unfit person you could come across. This is the reason I want to get into running - to get fit and feel good.

I don't think I'll buy into the whole paid for app running plan, couch to 5k stuff. Am I likely to be successful/enjoy it if I just listen to music and jog around the local park? I have zero interest in joining a running club and making it a social thing. Probably because I know I'm bad and would rather just be bad on my own, cos no doubt I'll keep getting out of breath and have to walk for a bit, multiple times.

I will use Runkeeper to track my route distance/speed/progress but only because I've used this app for a number of years when going for walks or cycling (to the pub), so I know it tracks well and doesn't drain battery.

One thing I don't understand is what to wear. When I start I'll be cold but presumably I'll warm up enough to not need a coat (lol) but I don't own any suitable running clothes beyond shorts and tshirts. Do I need to buy some running pants(?) or will I be okay in shorts and a long sleeved T-shirt? I'll probably be running at night and it'll be about 8 degrees Celsius. I already have some decent running trainers I can use.

I just hope now I've decided I want to get into running, that I actually bother giving it a go. I don't like being unfit and unhealthy. I literally do no exercise. I'm 31 and somehow still very lean. I want to keep it that way!

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Heard only good things about couch to 5k, but if you don't want to then no problem.
On the gear side regular sports short should be alright for a start, for tshirt any sports tshirt as well, otherwise you can go to your nearest sports shop and grab a 10$ running tshirt, the point is to have something light and "breathable"
Rule of thumb is that you need to be covered like you go for a walk if it was +10° than it really is, so if it's 8°C outside cover yourself like it's 18°, you may feel the cold a little bit but that should dissapear after 5-10mn, much better to feel slightly cold at first and then good afterwards than good for the first few minutes and overheat for the rest of the time.

Don't underestimate yourself as well, you're probably not as bad as you think you are, if you look athletic it probably means you don't have too much extra weight and for running that's already a great place to start with.

Last thing on your shoes, are you really sure these are good ones?
Anything is probably alright at the beginning (let's sayb sub 30mn a couple times a week), but once you go for longer/more frequent runs, shoes is THE most important gear to look at to avoid injury and be comfortable.

Anyway go for it, it might be hard at first but should only result in good things if you keep it up, you'll probably discover a lot of things by yourself, make mistakes, but don't hesitate to come back here for any specific question :)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
... Am I likely to be successful/enjoy it if I just listen to music and jog around the local park? I have zero interest in joining a running club and making it a social thing...

Yes.
Running with others / following a program makes it easier for many / certain people - if you already know that's not for you, you'll be fine.
Personally, i started running almost exclusively by myself, listening to music / podcasts - although this year, i 'switched' to running more with a group of people, which has the additional benefit of them making me go on a run on days that i probably wouldn't have - thereby increasing my total mileage.

As for equipment: When you run in the cold - for the first few minutes you'll feel rather cold, then you'll warm up due to the physical activity. There's a limit to how much the "warming up" from activity can compensate your body cooling down from 8° outside temps, though.
8°C is definitely long/long weather for me - i.e. long running pants (sweatpants should do, but i'd recommend a basic pair of running tights ... they'll last you forever anyways) and two thin layers of running shirts - the outer one long sleeved.
I don't think running in shorts and a long sleeved cotton t-shirt is a good idea at 8°.

This seems like a decent guide to follow (just stumbled upon that pic while Googling)
layeringinfographic4.jpg

Also, if you're running at night, proper running attire has the added benefit of having reflective detailing for increased visibility / safety

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Agree with fisico.
Where are you based? For cooler runs some UA heat gear is useful with a pair of sports shorts and a breathable t-shirt.
For cold runs some UA cold gear is worthwhile. If it won't be freezing just a top will do but if it's less than 5 degrees I put the tights on too.

The couch to 5k program is very good. Once you're over the fact that you're walking whilst people are looking at you it's great. It's a very good foundation for anyone. I do not run with anyone or a club and never have. I used to listen to music every run but have stopped doing so recently. I find it's useful for motivation sometimes.

Trainers are the important part. Don't need to spend a fortune but you need something that is good. Any of the NB freshfoam range will be good although might not win any style awards. I tend to lean to Nike running trainers but tend to find they're a little more expensive. I've seen some decent Nike Flyknit RN 2018 for about £60 recently which is a nice price.

How do you plan to track your runs? Personally I find a watch is the best way and also is motivating. Some of the apps give you so much information and it really keeps you going trying to improve.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
How do you plan to track your runs? Personally I find a watch is the best way and also is motivating. Some of the apps give you so much information and it really keeps you going trying to improve.
Yup, you definitely need to track your runs. Because 'feeling' / 'noticing' the progress you make subjectively barely works, as it'll always feel like a workout, it'll always feel somewhat challenging.
It's mostly looking back at your runs from, say, a month ago that you'll see "oh, my pace has been improving gradually" "my runs have been getting longer" "i need less time to regenerate between my runs" etc.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Thanks for all the replies!
Rule of thumb is that you need to be covered like you go for a walk if it was +10° than it really is, so if it's 8°C outside cover yourself like it's 18°, you may feel the cold a little bit but that should dissapear after 5-10mn, much better to feel slightly cold at first and then good afterwards than good for the first few minutes and overheat for the rest of the time.
This is great advice and very easier to remember; thank you very much.
This seems like a decent guide to follow (just stumbled upon that pic while Googling)
layeringinfographic4.jpg
That's great too; thanks!
Where are you based? For cooler runs some UA heat gear is useful with a pair of sports shorts and a breathable t-shirt.
For cold runs some UA cold gear is worthwhile. If it won't be freezing just a top will do but if it's less than 5 degrees I put the tights on too.

The couch to 5k program is very good. Once you're over the fact that you're walking whilst people are looking at you it's great. It's a very good foundation for anyone.
I'm in the UK, where it's grim up North. I might try to just go for a few runs first to see how it is (I'm sure I can find something to wear) and then look into the possibility of buying some gear. UA does seem very popular nowadays!
Yup, you definitely need to track your runs. Because 'feeling' / 'noticing' the progress you make subjectively barely works, as it'll always feel like a workout, it'll always feel somewhat challenging.
It's mostly looking back at your runs from, say, a month ago that you'll see "oh, my pace has been improving gradually" "my runs have been getting longer" "i need less time to regenerate between my runs" etc.
I'll be using Runkeeper on my phone.

Oh and a few people asked. I have the Nike Dualtone Racer trainers. The Flyknits cheaper sibling! I won't be covering any great distance to start so hopefully they'll do the job for now.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for all the replies!This is great advice and very easier to remember; thank you very much.

That's great too; thanks!
I'm in the UK, where it's grim up North. I might try to just go for a few runs first to see how it is (I'm sure I can find something to wear) and then look into the possibility of buying some gear. UA does seem very popular nowadays!

I'll be using Runkeeper on my phone.

Oh and a few people asked. I have the Nike Dualtone Racer trainers. The Flyknits cheaper sibling! I won't be covering any great distance to start so hopefully they'll do the job for now.
I'm in North Wales. Amazon do some good UA gear and it's not too expensive. Also mandmdirect have had some decent Canterbury stuff on there for cheap. Generally if it's 5-12 degrees I tend to get the heat gear short sleeve as base layer then just shorts and t-shirt. If it's about 12 then just shorts and t-shirt. Less than 5 I go cold gear long sleeve and tights. Less than 0 or raining I put on hat and maybe a water resistant hoody.

Runkeeper is fine to begin with. But if you want to make it a habit I really recommend getting a running watch. Some of the Garmin's are very reasonable and the level of detail is excellent. I personally have never enjoyed running with a phone, but it's another expensive outlay to have it on your wrist.

Deleted member 28368

Oct 31, 2017
After some enforced time off from running due to some ligament strains, and then a horrible bout of flu, I'm finally back getting up to speed. Ran a heck of a lot over Christmas and New Year, and although my times are slightly slower than the October/November highs, I'm slowly getting back up there.

Registered for the Great North Run (half marathon) which happens in September, and hope to register for a few shorter distances between now and then too.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Just FYI for people in the UK. Forerunner 30 GPS watch for £90 at Argos. Good price.

Keep looking at different events. Probably will attempt the half in Liverpool in march but would love to do something a bit more... Exotic?

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. I didn't know about the offer when it was from Sweat Shop (changed on 7th Jan) which sucks cos they have way more choice.
Sweatshop were pretty good but I think they're somehow linked to sports direct. Hate buying stuff from there if I can help it.
Also runners needs have shops where you can get gait analysis which sweatshop don't offer. Do you get vitality through work?

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Sweatshop were pretty good but I think they're somehow linked to sports direct. Hate buying stuff from there if I can help it.
Also runners needs have shops where you can get gait analysis which sweatshop don't offer. Do you get vitality through work?
Nah sadly not, I pay privately. And yeah I did notice they offer gait analysis, which could come in handy. Although I'm not sure it justifies a trip to Birkenhead. 😂

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Nah sadly not, I pay privately. And yeah I did notice they offer gait analysis, which could come in handy. Although I'm not sure it justifies a trip to Birkenhead. 😂
Haha so you're local based? They have a shop in bromborough / eastham so don't have to rough it too much ;) is that you in the footyera discord?