• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Slowly working my way back up after having too much time off. Did almost 4km's in 22 minutes. Slowly working my way back to a sub 20 minute 5km. My longer term goal is to maybe win a local park run (would require a time closer to 17 minutes).

No outdoor runs in 2019 so far for me. Just treadmill ones.

So far the average temperature for 2019 where I live has been 37 degrees Celsius. So it's pretty much all treadmill work until this heatwave finishes.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Going to try and complete a half marathon on Saturday. Would be the furthest I've ran in almost 7 years after completing a marathon. Only really been about 18 months ago since I've got my knee problems sorted and last year enjoyed some great 10ks and some good times too. If I manage Saturday well enough I'll be trying to enter some half marathons in the coming weeks. Cannot wait for the lighter mornings to appear. I'm never too bothered about the weather although the UK generally doesn't have extremes.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Great work. Especially on your own. Getting my 5k time down slowly. Now at 19:22. Reducing my long runs now to start freshening legs for Marathon in 3 weeks.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Just signed up for my first half marathon in over a year, running the Miami Half in late January and maybe going to do the Disney Half in February as well. I'm in pretty good running shape right now, I can already run 4-5 miles at a good pace without stopping. I signed up for a 12-week training plan on Runkeeper and will try to follow it closely. Aiming for a 1:45, but I think I could really break that by quite a bit if I stay disciplined with my training. Only obstacle will be that I have a vacation in Italy for Xmas that makes me a bit worried, always hard to run on vacation.

Quoting myself here as I'm running this half marathon next Sunday! I didn't do a great job keeping with my running plan through December so I am behind where I wanted to be initially on training, I wasn't able to run at all on my vacation in Italy.

I still managed to run about 26 miles cumulatively this past week including a long run of around 7.5 miles, so I should be able to get through this with minimal walking and a sub-2:00 time. I feel very healthy and in good shape right now, so I'm happy!

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
pbsapeer, Awesome. Regarding your earlier question if I'm doing sprints. I usually try and do a weekly interval session with a few people (having people to chase or chasing you down makes me work harder). The interval session is usually around 20 minutes of hard work (ranging from 100m sprints to 5 minutes of speed and everything inbetween) with a warm-up, warm-down and a few rest periods between intervals. If I can't get to that session for whatever reason I'll run a hard 5k parkrun on Saturday or try and have the discipline to do an interval session on my own.

Piston, Good luck Sunday. Walking through drink stations can be helpful (and means you're less likely to splash electrolyte drink over your face). Let us know how it went.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
My Garmin Forerunner 235's habing a hard time in cold, dry conditions it seems. Went running and cycling over the last couple days with very dry air / below zero temperatures and according to the Garmin, my heartrate was all over the place (spikes and dips I never see). when measuring my pulse at the wrist, it was nowhere where Garmin had it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
About to sign up for my first full Marathon (in April) - i need to get some mileage before that.

It's gonna be a one-time thing, i really don't enjoy running for almost 4 hours; neither do my knees. So i just wanna have that one finish.

May is gonna be crazy. Wings for Life world run (~25km) is on Sun 5th, i have a 13km Spartan "Super" race on May 11th, we're running the Salzburg (Half)Marathon on May 19th and i'm the runner for an IronMan relay on May 26th.

I feel like i need to cut at least one of these events and try to approach another (probably the Salzburg) as casually as possible.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I've started enjoying running longer a lot more since I had a bit of a foot injury through December.

I missed running a lot that month, and have eased back into over the last 2-3 weeks. On Sunday I ran 12k which it the most I have run, and felt like I could go on a lot more, but thought best not to push too hard.

It sounds ridiculous but learning not to start too fast has just changed my perception of longer distance running. I always ran like I was trying to do it as fast as possible, so after 5k it felt rubbish and a slog. The foot injury forced me to take it a little easier when I did a 10k the other week, and I enjoyed it so much. It wasn't even that much slower, I just didn't push as hard in the first couple of k!

Getting back to my best 5k times in Parkrun as well now. My PB is 22:05 and I did 22:44 at the weekend, so hoping to crack 22mins in the next few months. Feeling very good about running right now.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Fliesen, I set a 4hr target for my first Marathon last June and planned on only doing one ever. I now have my third lined up in two weeks and hope to go under 3:20. That May schedule does look pretty hectic. The recovery from a Marathon can be tough - though I've felt awesome for the first week post race then it hit hard for a few weeks.

Gawge, great to hear you're feeling good. You'll have that sub 22 in no time with a few weeks of consistent running under you. Hope you stay injury free.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Fliesen, I set a 4hr target for my first Marathon last June and planned on only doing one ever. I now have my third lined up in two weeks and hope to go under 3:20. That May schedule does look pretty hectic. The recovery from a Marathon can be tough - though I've felt awesome for the first week post race then it hit hard for a few weeks.

Gawge, great to hear you're feeling good. You'll have that sub 22 in no time with a few weeks of consistent running under you. Hope you stay injury free.

Yeah, right now, i'm thinking about skipping the WFL run and going super easy in Salzburg - like, maybe i'm gonna do the relay with someone.

Gonna try to get a Long Run done each weekend leading up to the Marathon ... did 23.5k last sunday and already have a running mate for a 25k or so this weekend.

I'd love to finish the Marathon anywhere between 3:30 and 3:45 (given that my HM times are is 1:30-1:35 this should be doable, if everything goes right)

Last edited:

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Yeah, right now, i'm thinking about skipping the WFL run and going super easy in Salzburg - like, maybe i'm gonna do the relay with someone.

Gonna try to get a Long Run done each weekend leading up to the Marathon ... did 23.5k last sunday and already have a running mate for a 25k or so this weekend.

I'd love to finish the Marathon anywhere between 3:30 and 3:45 (given that my HM times are is 1:30-1:35 this should be doable, if everything goes right)

With those 1/2 Marathon times you should be fine. My fastest half is 1:32 and change. Don't forget to have an easy week (one in four is good) and you won't need to go much over 30k more than a few times during your training. Biggest hurdle is staying mentally positive and trusting in your training. I take the approach on Marathon day of just running what is comfortable for the first the few kms then start looking at the watch and seeing if I can keep at whatever pace I've settled into (usually faster than target pace). Later on each km gets a little harder and you're just trying to hang on. I'm usually happy if I can still chat to people around me and interact with the volunteers (then I know I'm not working too hard).

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I ran the Miami (Half) Marathon! I did pretty well, but the lack of good preparation for longer distances hurt me after the 8-mile mark. My official time was around 1:56, but my Strava time puts me at 1:53ish to reach 13.1 miles. I had to stop once to pee and once to take a (not so quick) poop around the 10-mile mark. The last 5 miles were pretty much alternating running and walking until the end.

I ran it with two friends, one ran a 1:36 in his first half marathon ever and the other was around 1:43... so they pretty soundly beat me. I got in around the Top 15%, so can't really complain.

Here is the Strava on it: https://www.strava.com/activities/2106853654

I also got diarrhea for most of the rest of the day... has that happened to anyone else before? I looked it up online and apparently, running can cause diarrhea.

Haunted Tank

Oct 28, 2017
After hard workouts like tempo runs or interval work I occasionally get diarrhea. The lower my fitness level the more likely it is to happen. Heat also seems to be a catalyst. The last days before a race I cut meat and other heavy to digest stuff from my diet and only have a very light breakfast on race day. That seems to work for me.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's fascinating just how much harder those kilometers beyond km 20 are than those before.
I went on a 25k long run this sunday and the final 5k were more exhausting than the entire run before. I can run 20km without any preparation without any real issues and without feeling sore the next day ... but going beyond that it suddenly becomes exorbitantly more strenuous.

slow-twitch

Oct 25, 2017
I also got diarrhea for most of the rest of the day... has that happened to anyone else before? I looked it up online and apparently, running can cause diarrhea.

Bowels issues are usually correlated to intensity. You probably gave close to your all in the race.

When running past your lactate threshold your autonomic nervous system behaves partly like in fight or flight mode. It stops non essential functions (digestion) to focus everything on bringing fresh fuel (blood) to muscles. When the effort stops, bowel does not resume effortlessy as it's not something you can turn off and on without affecting flow and texture of content.

Anecdotally, I usually get diarrhea after an all out 21k or 10k. Never in a marathon, not enough intensity. Also it would be impossible to run a fast marathon without proper digestion of fuel.

It's fascinating just how much harder those kilometers beyond km 20 are than those before.
I went on a 25k long run this sunday and the final 5k were more exhausting than the entire run before. I can run 20km without any preparation without any real issues and without feeling sore the next day ... but going beyond that it suddenly becomes exorbitantly more strenuous.

The goal of the long run is exactly to get better at being on your feet that long. You'll find 25k as easy as 20k soon enough.

The distance people in marathon usually hit the wall at usually starts at 31k. You need good fueling, pacing and proper endurance training (regular 2h runs in training cycle) to avoid it.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Noob question: I run three days a week - on rest days, is it fine to do something lighter on the body like stationary bike or would it be better to do something else entirely that isn't cardio? I enjoy cardio workouts but don't want to risk or working myself too hard. I'm pretty new too and it's cold out which doesn't help.

I run on the treadmill, by the way.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The goal of the long run is exactly to get better at being on your feet that long. You'll find 25k as easy as 20k soon enough.

The distance people in marathon usually hit the wall at usually starts at 31k. You need good fueling, pacing and proper endurance training (regular 2h runs in training cycle) to avoid it.

Yup, i totally get that - it's just fascinating to experience it. I'm trying to get a 20+k (hopefully 25+k) run done every sunday up until 2 weeks before the marathon.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017

Very recognizable, though I'm at a point where I'm struggling beyond the 15/16K currently. I'm running 18, 19 at most, making my way towards 20. But everything beyond 15/16 is exhausting. Tho there's big differences day to day and I run so much better/easier in mornings then evenings.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Very recognizable, though I'm at a point where I'm struggling beyond the 15/16K currently. I'm running 18, 19 at most, making my way towards 20. But everything beyond 15/16 is exhausting. Tho there's big differences day to day and I run so much better/easier in mornings then evenings.

At the same time, once again being challenged by distance and not only pace is a refreshing change - literally pushing ones limits and not just improving upon one's speed.

slow-twitch

Oct 25, 2017
Noob question: I run three days a week - on rest days, is it fine to do something lighter on the body like stationary bike or would it be better to do something else entirely that isn't cardio? I enjoy cardio workouts but don't want to risk or working myself too hard. I'm pretty new too and it's cold out which doesn't help.

I run on the treadmill, by the way.

There is no problem doing some light stationary bike on rest days. Just be sure you feel recovered on running days. "Cardio" is something you can do everyday. It is not like weight lifting.

It being better than something else depends entirely on your current fitness and goal. Usually unless you already run a lot or have a mechanical problem, running more is the best way to become better at running.

Biking is somewhat like running but it only stresses a subset of systems. You'll improve your engine but not your chassis.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
God damn I really hate running in this cold weather. I've put on a lot of the weight I lost over the Summer just because I haven't gone out as often. I miss being able to wear split shorts and a tank top and that's it. In the cold weather I either bundle up too much and feel too hot two minutes into the run or I don't bundle up enough and am freezing through the whole run. :(

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Some interesting articles by runner's world
Running in the Morning
Increase VO2

I run in the morning and always exclusively do. It's so much better than after a day at work.
What's everyone's VO2 like? Garmin says mine is 60
Garmin say 54 currently. I peaked at 55 a week or two back. Scarily it says I can do a 3:03:41 Marathon (that'd be nearly 20mins of my pb), but the 5km time is 19:11 which is only 11 seconds under my pb (and frankly much more achieveable).

I run mostly in the evening during the week (with the odd lunch run thrown in) and mornings in the weekend (parkrun and long run). Rolling out of bed and running sucks, but after being up for an hour or two I'm fine. Evening is fine, but I have desk job so I'm not physically tried when I get home.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
After thinking about it there should be just one community called health era that include healthy diet and running at one community.

Is there a community about healthy diet for thin people ? Before I use to eat in healthy expensive restaurants in los angeles now that I moved to canberra which it doesn't seem it has healthy restaurants and almost no restaurants in that matter I got to cook for my self and I never cooked in my life :(

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Some interesting articles by runner's world
Running in the Morning
Increase VO2

I run in the morning and always exclusively do. It's so much better than after a day at work.
What's everyone's VO2 like? Garmin says mine is 60

Mine's usually around 58-60. It varies because I track my commute (cycling) and Garmin thinks I'm completely underperforming while cycling :). I guess it's geared towards racing bicycles. If I only track my runs and squash, it's around 60.

At the same time, once again being challenged by distance and not only pace is a refreshing change - literally pushing ones limits and not just improving upon one's speed.

Yeah, it's def refreshing. I'm not running for time improvements because of medical reasons (my cardiologist advised me to try and stay under 150 rpm) so I kinda switched to distance and keeping up a 12km/h pace. Initially it bummed me out a bit not pushing for time gains anymore but I've started to enjoy those longer runs a lot. Though I am a bit done with the wet cold of the winter.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I just discovered this thread. Was thinking about creating my own Running OT, but an existing (and active) one is miles better of course.

Short introduction: I'm from Cologne, Germany, home of Gamescom and some beautiful running spots. I've been running for my entire life (started at 10), but running always took a backseat to playing football. Now that I'm older (27) and I've come to accept my fairly limited capabilities on the pitch I've pivoted to running for its simplicity, required focus on discipline and the solo aspect of the sport, which was daunting at first. I've been running more seriously for about 2 years now (ran a couple of half marathons in my early twenties, but without actual conviction and/or goals) and it's been amazing to dive into all the aspects that make running a great sport (training plans, nutrition, endurance, racing,...)
I picked the Half Marathon for the next couple of years, since it's a great mix between the grueling speed of shorter races and the daunting grind of marathon or even ultra training. I'm looking to start my training cycle for 2 goal races (a 5k charity run in July and a half marathon in October) on Monday after reducing to about 20-30k weeks for the winter and I thought what better way to reaffirm my commitment than to introduce myself to Running ERA.

Anyways, did an easy 8k today, nursing a bit of knee pain due to overcommiting to new shoes (at least I hope that's what it is) and I got to enjoy the snow from below and above.

Looking forward to reading more about all of you and your adventures.

Bonus snow gif from today:

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I just discovered this thread. Was thinking about creating my own Running OT, but an existing (and active) one is miles better of course.

Short introduction: I'm from Cologne, Germany, home of Gamescom and some beautiful running spots. I've been running for my entire life (started at 10), but running always took a backseat to playing football. Now that I'm older (27) and I've come to accept my fairly limited capabilities on the pitch I've pivoted to running for its simplicity, required focus on discipline and the solo aspect of the sport, which was daunting at first. I've been running more seriously for about 2 years now (ran a couple of half marathons in my early twenties, but without actual conviction and/or goals) and it's been amazing to dive into all the aspects that make running a great sport (training plans, nutrition, endurance, racing,...)
I picked the Half Marathon for the next couple of years, since it's a great mix between the grueling speed of shorter races and the daunting grind of marathon or even ultra training. I'm looking to start my training cycle for 2 goal races (a 5k charity run in July and a half marathon in October) on Monday after reducing to about 20-30k weeks for the winter and I thought what better way to reaffirm my commitment than to introduce myself to Running ERA.

Anyways, did an easy 8k today, nursing a bit of knee pain due to overcommiting to new shoes (at least I hope that's what it is) and I got to enjoy the snow from below and above.

Looking forward to reading more about all of you and your adventures.

Bonus snow gif from today:

Welcome friend!

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Gandie, welcome aboard. I still can't fathom running on snow - I get snow to ground level a few times every couple of years and it's just as quickly gone (or turned into a frozen mush of unrunnable treachary).

Taper time for me. Lets see if I behave and limit the distance and intensity for the next 10 days.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Gandie, welcome aboard. I still can't fathom running on snow - I get snow to ground level a few times every couple of years and it's just as quickly gone (or turned into a frozen mush of unrunnable treachary).

Taper time for me. Lets see if I behave and limit the distance and intensity for the next 10 days.

The snow was really light and soft with a firm layer underneath, pretty decent to run on. Wouldn't want to race on it though.

What's your goal race?

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Buller Gorge Marathon. Should be fun, but training in the mid-summer heat during the Christmas/New Year break was something I hadn't considered. Current forcast is for between 12C-22C with showers, which is as good a conditions as I could hope for. Hoping to break 3:20 if its a good day and keep under 3:30 if its not. Course map

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Just did my signup for the Vienna City Marathon (full distance) today.
I'm not sure what i'm dreading more - the distance or the crowd during the first 1-2kilometers.

marath.5052430.jpg

Should be able to finish below 4 hours, hoping to finish below 3:45

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Looked at some pictures of Buller Gorge on Google. Incredible scenery, though I doubt you'll be able to enjoy it much at that pace. No time for sightseeing at 3:20 pace.

I trained through the entire heat last summer (in Europe, so July-September) and intervals at 38 Celsius (at 9pm) were taxing. Had atleast 2 liters of water with me for those sessions. Goal race was in 7 degrees and showers, that felt like heaven compared.

Just did my signup for the Vienna City Marathon (full distance) today.
I'm not sure what i'm dreading more - the distance or the crowd during the first 1-2kilometers.
Should be able to finish below 4 hours, hoping to finish below 3:45

I hate crowds in giant events like this. They should be more strict about corral placement so faster runners don't have to weave around a bunch of people for the first kilometers.

Last edited:

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Fliesen, nice one. As Gandie says, those big crowds are just crazy (especially with the 1/2 Marathon starting with you). Good luck getting into the front of your starting block/corral.

Gandie, plenty of time to view the scenery. My planned Marathon pace of 4:40/km on the flat is pretty casual, so I expect to be chatting to the people around me. I'll shut up on the hills though. I have a few mates doing the relay (4 x 10.5km), so I'll have to avoid trying to keep up with them when they go past (they start 5 minutes after me).

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Run 5 times a week. 4 X 5km runs and a longer one on a Saturday. Been running 10kms for my longer run for the over a year and done some 10milers and did a half about 2 weeks ago.
Go get it! If I recall, you did a 1:40 and change on a training run. If you feel good on the day, just hang on to 4:15s and you'll have it. (Says the guy who has yet break a 1:30 1/2 himself). Plus your Garmin V02 max must say you can do 1:20 or something.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Gandie, plenty of time to view the scenery. My planned Marathon pace of 4:40/km on the flat is pretty casual, so I expect to be chatting to the people around me. I'll shut up on the hills though. I have a few mates doing the relay (4 x 10.5km), so I'll have to avoid trying to keep up with them when they go past (they start 5 minutes after me).

Talk for yourself mate.

I'm kidding of course, but 4:40 is far from casual for me, especially on a full marathon.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Talk for yourself mate.

I'm kidding of course, but 4:40 is far from casual for me, especially on a full marathon.
I know not to talk to people when passing them (Marathons can be cruel and people aren't receptive to talking when sufferring), but those that are passing me are usually up for a chat if I can hang on to their pace. I'm one of the slower runners in my social running group, so chatting is the only way I can slow them down 😄

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I know not to talk to people when passing them (Marathons can be cruel and people aren't receptive to talking when sufferring), but those that are passing me are usually up for a chat if I can hang on to their pace. I'm one of the slower runners in my social running group, so chatting is the only way I can slow them down 😄

Need to pick good topics for them to go on long tangents, so you can focus on hanging on.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds great, 1:30 is a bit ambitious maybe, but 1:40 should be more than manageable on that kind of mileage.
Yeah gotta try and push.
Go get it! If I recall, you did a 1:40 and change on a training run. If you feel good on the day, just hang on to 4:15s and you'll have it. (Says the guy who has yet break a 1:30 1/2 himself). Plus your Garmin V02 max must say you can do 1:20 or something.
You are correct! Managed 1:40 with hills on a training run, early morning no food and just 1 energy gel. I reckon I could try and push a bit and get it.
Yeah my Garmin says I can do a 5k in 17mins haha. Not even close to that once!!