• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah gotta try and push.

You are correct! Managed 1:40 with hills on a training run, early morning no food and just 1 energy gel. I reckon I could try and push a bit and get it.
Yeah my Garmin says I can do a 5k in 17mins haha. Not even close to that once!!

I never use more than one gel on a half marathon distance, it's over so quick anyway. Maybe one or two sips of water underway, but you better practice drinking at those speeds.

Seems Polar is the opposite of Garmin in that respect. Their software pinned me at 40 minutes 10k and 1:39 half when I easily broke those times before and after.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I never use more than one gel on a half marathon distance, it's over so quick anyway. Maybe one or two sips of water underway, but you better practice drinking at those speeds.

Seems Polar is the opposite of Garmin in that respect. Their software pinned me at 40 minutes 10k and 1:39 half when I easily broke those times before and after.
On a half marathon i never drink and never have any gels or bananas. (Unless it's super hot). I grab as many of those sponges they tend to hand out during events like the Ironman, as i can. Those rock.

I'm always much too scared of:
* Losing my current 'rhythm'
* Losing those precious 10 seconds
* possibly getting the hiccups

During half marathons - don't want to introduce any needless irregularities to my 21.1k run

For the Marathon i'll have to grab some gels and drinks along the way, but then, these 10 seconds you lose because you're walking / drinking don't really matter in the grand scheme of a 3-4 hour run.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
On a half marathon i never drink and never have any gels or bananas. (Unless it's super hot). I grab as many of those sponges they tend to hand out during events like the Ironman, as i can. Those rock.

I need to get something to drink, otherwise my mouth just dries out and that's an unpleasant experience. I've practiced grabbing the drink and drinking it at a decent speed though, so I don't lose anything close to 10 seconds.

Oh boy, even more snow today...

Still went, it's magical out there, save for nasty snow slush near roads. I don't like cars and the corresponding infrastructure in any shape.
nCgualK.jpg

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Regarding drinks and gels during races. I'll usually take drink every 5km any often skip the last drink station. Water on the first station to see how my run and drink technique is on the day. If I cover myself in water, I walk through the later drink stations. It also shows me if they're going to over fill the cups (anything over half is over filling). I'll have a gel during a half marathon if I'm preparing for a marathon in the next few months, just to ensure my stomach is ok on them when running at a high effort. My marathon strategy is usually a caffeine gel with water before heading to the start, a drink of water at 5km, electolyte drink at 15, 25, and 35 km and gel + water 10, 20 (caffine), and 30 km.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
For a 10km I take an energy gel before the race and an isotonic drink and then just run the whole thing unless its warm and I'll swill my mouth around half way at the water station.

For my half I'm planning to do the same and maybe take a gel on around 10 mile mark.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
My heart rate monitor (Polar H10) arrived today, sadly after my run, but I will have ample time to try it out. A coach friend told me to use on instead of the built in wrist monitor in my M430, says the wrist based solutions are not really accurate. Plus I can wear the strap while playing football and save the workout on it, watches are not allowed.

Training plan kicks off on Monday with a FTP-test. Anyone have any experience with it? It's basically running 20 minutes all out and recording distance and max heart rate. I intend to repeat it once a month to measure my progress.

Bonus pic from today's run (new shoes, barely any knee pain, I think it's gone)

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
My heart rate monitor (Polar H10) arrived today, sadly after my run, but I will have ample time to try it out. A coach friend told me to use on instead of the built in wrist monitor in my M430, says the wrist based solutions are not really accurate. Plus I can wear the strap while playing football and save the workout on it, watches are not allowed.

Training plan kicks off on Monday with a FTP-test. Anyone have any experience with it? It's basically running 20 minutes all out and recording distance and max heart rate. I intend to repeat it once a month to measure my progress.

Bonus pic from today's run (new shoes, barely any knee pain, I think it's gone)
What shoes did you get? Also was the HR strap expensive?

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
10 miles competed today in -2 degrees C! Not too bad time up and down hill in around 1:15:00

Any snow? It's all turned to mush here, impossible to run or bike on it. Dangerous even. Tested my heart rate strap in football practice today, still kind of distracting, but it's getting there!

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Any snow? It's all turned to mush here, impossible to run or bike on it. Dangerous even. Tested my heart rate strap in football practice today, still kind of distracting, but it's getting there!
Was mainly running on the road as it's still icy. The mountains in Wales look lovely white, but I've basically had to ensure I'm running into traffic the whole run to prevent slipping. Anywhere where the sun has hit it today has melted it, but the snow has basically been trodden into solid ice everywhere else.
pbsapeer, do you use the running power data with the HRM-Run? If so, thoughts?
What's running power data? Strap is getting delivered Monday!

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Was mainly running on the road as it's still icy. The mountains in Wales look lovely white, but I've basically had to ensure I'm running into traffic the whole run to prevent slipping. Anywhere where the sun has hit it today has melted it, but the snow has basically been trodden into solid ice everywhere else.

giphy.gif

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Anyways, planning to do my pre-training plan FTP test tomorrow. After warmup you basically run for 20 minutes as hard as you can. While I already know my lactate threshold and workout paces it will be a great way to track progress throughout the season. My favourite track got torn down, so I picked out two different tracks for tomorrow and I hope one of them will be open on Sundays.
Important data points are distance and average heart rate, which can help narrow down those workout paces.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Anyways, planning to do my pre-training plan FTP test tomorrow. After warmup you basically run for 20 minutes as hard as you can. While I already know my lactate threshold and workout paces it will be a great way to track progress throughout the season. My favourite track got torn down, so I picked out two different tracks for tomorrow and I hope one of them will be open on Sundays.
Important data points are distance and average heart rate, which can help narrow down those workout paces.
I've seen fitness tests on Garmin watches but they require heart rate straps so will deffo have a go at one.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, officially signed up for the DC Rock n Roll Marathon next month, now just need the plane ticket (have court 4 days later so have to be in town anyway). Hope it isnt too cold, been spoiled running in Hawaii.

Take an unexpected break the past couple weeks, hopefully the next month isnt too bad.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys! Read the OP, I'm a total beginner and fairly out of shape (about 110kg, 183cm tall) but I really want to get fit as my wife has just had our first child and I've been struck with the whole "I should be more fit!" Kinda feeling. I just can't connect with a gym at the moment but I feel like running is something I can work towards.

A few years ago I started with a couch to 5k app and I felt good about it but just life got in the way. Anyone have some other suggestions? or just give that a go?

I was thinking of trying to run before work at least a couple of times a week at first to see what I need to do and then try to work towards something.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys! Read the OP, I'm a total beginner and fairly out of shape (about 110kg, 183cm tall) but I really want to get fit as my wife has just had our first child and I've been struck with the whole "I should be more fit!" Kinda feeling. I just can't connect with a gym at the moment but I feel like running is something I can work towards.

A few years ago I started with a couch to 5k app and I felt good about it but just life got in the way. Anyone have some other suggestions? or just give that a go?

I was thinking of trying to run before work at least a couple of times a week at first to see what I need to do and then try to work towards something.
I think th C25k is a really good initiative and gets a decent baseline for people. Personally I like to run first thing in a morning and then I feel much fresher at work but also don't have that whole nagging feeling of "I've got to run later". It's really personal preference on that but just keep sticking to a run schedule and don't miss a run unless necessary. I find having to start running again from a couple of days off makes me less likely to pick it up. Consequently I've run for over 18 months without a break (including a trip to Vegas) of running 4 times a week minimum.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, the FTP test really kicked my butt. Not really happy about the result, struggled the whole 20 minutes and only did 4,5 kilometers. Considering my 5k times last year I'm even kind of disappointed. But oh well, I'm trying to shift the negative energy into happiness about having a lot of room to improve. It's really hard to judge my own pace for the whole twenty minutes, something that will get easier next month.
Average heartrate for the 20 minutes was 188, which gives me a functional threshold of 178 (188-(5 percent), very much in line with the 179-183 threshold my physio gave me trough proper lactate threshold testing.

I'm really happy to make the first note on my training plan that has been hanging on my door (unused) for almost a month:

Kind of nerdy I guess, but it keeps my motivation up.

Hi teacup, welcome. Running is a great sport, and it sounds perfect for your case. I personally have no experience with the C25k app, but I've heard of dozens of people that the structured approach really helps. The ramping up is not too fast to overwhelm you, but not too slow to get boring and having the 5k as a big goal in the end should be plenty of motivation.

My suggestions:

1. Listen to your body. Running can be stressful on your muscles and joints, especially when starting out. Learn to differentiate between soreness (good, go running) and pain (bad, don't run). In doubt, always consult a doctor before aggravating your injury
2. Be safe. Especially when running in the dark. Get some reflective clothing or atleast an armband so you don't get run over. Take your phone with you if you're worried about finding the way back.
3. Don't work yourself up over missed workouts. It happens to the best of us. Don't abort the whole endeavour because of one or two missed workouts. Pick up where you left off, it's really easy to get back into your rhythm. Talk to us if you need motivation/advice

I'd also suggest setting a strict time frame for your c25k. Maybe pick a nice, relaxed park run for your first 5k and work towards that date.

Have fun and enjoy.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
teacup, C25K would be ideal to get back into it. If you want to progress further look at local parkruns (hopefully there is one nearby). Don't overdo it early on (sore is ok, sharp pain bad). A year ago I set a goal of running a marathon in June. At the time I was 108kg and I've dropped 20kg by consistent running (I was running 6-7km once a week at the time I made the decision to ramp it up). All the best.

Last edited:

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017

Took some time today to enter my training plan into Polar Flow. They make it really convenient to have everything set up, so I don't have to think about my workout everyday. Still kind of daunting to see it all laid out like this, but I'm ready for the challenge! I shifted my long run to Monday to account for football matches on Sunday.

Alright, officially signed up for the DC Rock n Roll Marathon next month, now just need the plane ticket (have court 4 days later so have to be in town anyway). Hope it isnt too cold, been spoiled running in Hawaii.
Take an unexpected break the past couple weeks, hopefully the next month isnt too bad.

How are you with running in the cold? I actually prefer it to high temps, unless it is freezing and/or windy.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
The achilles tendon on my left ankle's been acting up. Hurts when I'm walking stairs and stuff. Have had it once before and then it disappeared within a couple days of rest. Hope that's case again this time. Sucks because we've had some crisp winter weather here, but soit, better safe then sorry when it comes to injuries. I've made the mistake of ignoring runner's knee and shin splints, hope to avoid it with this injury.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Well Garmin HRM strap is nice. Doesn't feel overly intrusive and I didn't really notice it too much during my run. Some interesting analysis gained from my run. Looks like I rely more so on my RHS of my body than the LHS. 48.9/51.1 split.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
The achilles tendon on my left ankle's been acting up. Hurts when I'm walking stairs and stuff. Have had it once before and then it disappeared within a couple days of rest. Hope that's case again this time. Sucks because we've had some crisp winter weather here, but soit, better safe then sorry when it comes to injuries. I've made the mistake of ignoring runner's knee and shin splints, hope to avoid it with this injury.

Good call on the rest. Rest really is the easiest and safest way to treat any injuries I've encountered.

Haunted Tank

Oct 28, 2017
Just did my signup for the Vienna City Marathon (full distance) today.
I'm not sure what i'm dreading more - the distance or the crowd during the first 1-2kilometers.

marath.5052430.jpg

Should be able to finish below 4 hours, hoping to finish below 3:45

Ha, I will also be running in Vienna! Aiming for a sub 3:20, personal best being a 3:23. According to the course description it seems a bit hilly (about 300 HM) but Wiki says it is the 16th fastest marathon worldwide, with a course record of 2:05:41. So I hope I will be able to achieve my goal.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
pbsapeer, I just wore the reissue of the Hoka Clifton 1 for my Marathon yesterday. They went well and I did a pb of 3:15:20, crushing my 3:20:00 target and knocking off over 6 minutes of my previous pb. The Clifton 1 is light enough to race but cushy enough for slow recovery runs. Surprisingly stable on corners given the high stack. It's a good all-rounder that I'd buy again if they last 500+ km, though they look ridiculous and don't have second eyelet at the top for lock lacing (I've figured something out to give me the heel lockdown I like though). These are the only Hoka's I've tried.

Yesterday's Marathon was a blast, with torrential rain, sunny hot periods and relay runners on the mix on an undulating course on a summer's morning. Went out way too hot and lost 9 minutes in the second half, but finished 19 of 130 and 3rd in the 40-49 year old men (of 14). Won a couple of glass platters and got a kettle for spot prize. My buddy also got his target of sub 3:20 and our social group put in a relay team that came in third (of the mixed teams). A great road trip to the Westcoast via Lewis and Arthur's Pass.

An old photo of the half marathon start
36_Buller_04-915x1300.jpg

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats r3s on your PB in what seem to be tough conditions. Too bad on the positive split, but atleast there's something you can work towards for next time. Top 20 overall and podium in your age group. Great achievements.

I finished the first week of my training plan today, 35 weeks to go. Did 40 kilometers in 5 runs. Really slow start, but that's what the base building plan is all about.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
pbsapeer, I just wore the reissue of the Hoka Clifton 1 for my Marathon yesterday. They went well and I did a pb of 3:15:20, crushing my 3:20:00 target and knocking off over 6 minutes of my previous pb. The Clifton 1 is light enough to race but cushy enough for slow recovery runs. Surprisingly stable on corners given the high stack. It's a good all-rounder that I'd buy again if they last 500+ km, though they look ridiculous and don't have second eyelet at the top for lock lacing (I've figured something out to give me the heel lockdown I like though). These are the only Hoka's I've tried.

Yesterday's Marathon was a blast, with torrential rain, sunny hot periods and relay runners on the mix on an undulating course on a summer's morning. Went out way too hot and lost 9 minutes in the second half, but finished 19 of 130 and 3rd in the 40-49 year old men (of 14). Won a couple of glass platters and got a kettle for spot prize. My buddy also got his target of sub 3:20 and our social group put in a relay team that came in third (of the mixed teams). A great road trip to the Westcoast via Lewis and Arthur's Pass.
Well done! That's great success.
I've seen the Clifton 5 and they look nice. Seems their USP is cushioning when running? I can get a pair for like 45£ which isn't too bad.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Eheh, well done !

I did my half marathon 3 weeks before marathon race yesterday and it leaded to some... interesting results.

I got in the race with honestly no idea what time to target, the only thing that I knew was that I wasn't gonna give 100% because I only wanted to use it as a stopgap race to see where I stand.

So basically I'm in the tail-end of marathon training, did a 26k long run the Sunday before and only did a very small taper (not pushing as hard during intervals that week, shortening the short Saturday run and skipping the 40mn hometrainer on Wednesday), I also happened to catch a cold that really prevented me from sleeping well during a few nights (hard to breath with a drippy nose) and the day of race there was heavy rain + strong winds (up to 80-90kmh) which conveniently happened to be headwind right when the race went into hills, and hilly it was (km 6-7 at 3.8% on average and 8.8 to 10 at >4%).

So still room to PR I guess you would think right?
Well of course, also start right in the middle of the pack because it's much funnier to have to zigzag your way to the front, 0 energy wasted that way, only banking time, that's how it works, keep pushing, ignore than wind, ignore that rain, easy to do.

Then by km 5 I quickly came to realization I wasn't gonna set any record today, my average pace was already slightly above my previous PR, the biggest hills had yet to come and I was putting way too much effort at that point of the race, for the first time ever I mentally gave up, it wasn't the race where I was supposed to give everything and even if I did there was absolutely nothing to gain here, the big race I have been running hundreds of km for is in 3 weeks, no point burning the legs right now to gain a few minutes here in this half in the middle of nowhere.

So I just cruised, the hills were done at very slow pace, others kept passing me for a few km and I only put slightly more effort by km 13-14, passing a couple others and not getting passed anymore, I didn't even bother speeding up much for the last km, what's 10-15s when you're minutes off from what you hoped for?

Ended up with a low 1h26 which is not too bad in the end, had I bothered I could have probably logged a 1h23 something, considering the hilly profile it's probably worth a 1h21-22 on a more flat course and there you got, that's my PR, right in my mind, not quite in my legs that day.

So keeping the positive there, marathon prep still alright, didn't put too much stress on the body and logged a decent time despite all of what was described above, it does give more humilty towards races too, you need failures to learn, and learned I did, I'm probably gonna lower my expectations for the marathon a little bit (from 2h52 to 2h53-54) and look forward to it more than ever as a way to bounce back from here.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Fisico, thanks! Figuring out what's next. A sub 19 minute 5km attempt at this week's parkrun is on, then a casual slow block for a while.

Don't give up on that 2:52. That's two 1:26 halves and on a good day it sounds totally achievable given what you've said above. Not long to go now!

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Half marathon this weekend. Really want a 1:30 half if I can manage. Works out around 4:15kms from what I can work out. Hopefully do-able but if I manage 4:30kms I'd still be happy with a sub 1:40 half.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Half marathon this weekend. Really want a 1:30 half if I can manage. Works out around 4:15kms from what I can work out. Hopefully do-able but if I manage 4:30kms I'd still be happy with a sub 1:40 half.

Good luck. I had sub90 as my big goal last year and managed to do it. Have you done a lot of workouts at target pace? Those were really important for me to get used to the speed required. Race day felt pretty easy because of that. What's your race plan? I went with a pretty slow start (also to account for overtaking in the first 2 kilometers) and went from there. Actually wore my pace goals on my wrist to be sure. Really felt in control.

IbrXNQT.png

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Fisico, thanks! Figuring out what's next. A sub 19 minute 5km attempt at this week's parkrun is on, then a casual slow block for a while.

Don't give up on that 2:52. That's two 1:26 halves and on a good day it sounds totally achievable given what you've said above. Not long to go now!

Let's say I'll go for the negative split instead of even then :p
I'm kinda amazed how you can pull that almost daily running, your time also keep improving so I wouldn't worry about that sub 19mn 5k, the question is not "if" but rather "when"

r3s : Go go ! Try keeping a 4:15/km pace and see how you feel after 6-10km, if you're alright then you can definitely manage it, if you suffer by km 15 that's normal, you'll be better by km 20 and at that point it's already the final spurt !

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Good luck. I had sub90 as my big goal last year and managed to do it. Have you done a lot of workouts at target pace? Those were really important for me to get used to the speed required. Race day felt pretty easy because of that. What's your race plan? I went with a pretty slow start (also to account for overtaking in the first 2 kilometers) and went from there. Actually wore my pace goals on my wrist to be sure. Really felt in control.

IbrXNQT.png
I've done a couple of longer runs but just at what felt comfortable. I managed 1:40 but I don't live in a flat area. I think my elevation was like 700ft over the course of the run.
I can run a 10k in less than 45 minutes comfortably and when racing at like 40 minutes. I just hope I can keep it up.
Plan is to run a quick first couple of km to get past the crowd then back up a little and at the half way mark see how I'm feeling to push or not. Fingers crossed!

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I've done a couple of longer runs but just at what felt comfortable. I managed 1:40 but I don't live in a flat area. I think my elevation was like 700ft over the course of the run.
I can run a 10k in less than 45 minutes comfortably and when racing at like 40 minutes. I just hope I can keep it up.
Plan is to run a quick first couple of km to get past the crowd then back up a little and at the half way mark see how I'm feeling to push or not. Fingers crossed!

Sounds good, I did a 39 minute 10k and a 18:48 minute 5k prior to my 1:28:20 HM. HM was with no elevation though.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Well my Pegasus 35s are already worn down to the sides of the shoe. I've only run about 250 miles in them so quite disappointed.
Which would you guys get out of these:
  • Hoka one one Clifton 5 for £42
  • Adidas adizero Boston 7 for £35
  • New balance 1080v9 for £67
  • Adidas solar drive for £50

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Well my Pegasus 35s are already worn down to the sides of the shoe. I've only run about 250 miles in them so quite disappointed.
Which would you guys get out of these:
  • Hoka one one Clifton 5 for £42
  • Adidas adizero Boston 7 for £35
  • New balance 1080v9 for £67
  • Adidas solar drive for £50

They seem to cover a certain range of weight (9.3, 8.6, 10.0, 10.9 oz, respectively) and the Hoka has a lower drop (5mm vs 8-10-10), so it depends of what you're looking for and what drop you're used to (I wouldn't go straight for a 5mm one if I only ran in 10mm before) and to what you want to use them for (long run? speed session ? Road ? Trail ?) how long you expect them to last and what brand/model you've been confortable with so far.

For race day and performance the Boston 7 seems like the obvious choice, otherwise... it's up to you :p

Check runningwarehouse to see details about each of these shoes

Deleted member 28368

User requested account closure
Oct 31, 2017
Been a while since I posted here. Started running in earnest in mid-September last year, and did my first half marathon distance at the end of October. Unfortunately then a combination of strained ligaments and a horrific bout of flu had my running down to a minimum until mid-December.

Since then it's mainly been all about getting the miles in. 35 miles the latter part of December. Just short of 80 in January, and I'm aiming to get closer to 90 during February which I'm well on track to do.

I've been concentrating on setting some quicker times for shorter distances too. My best 5k now stands 22:30, and 10k is now 50:16. Both of which I know I can nudge down even further fairly easily. Feeling very positive about it all!