• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Did my third long run today, because of a football match tomorrow. Finished the week with 48 kilometers, perfectly within the 10% per week increase. It was really cold, but at least that forced me to go pretty quick. Pfitzinger's long runs are far from the boring and slow ones I did in my training plan last year. They're a real workout and I dread the summer with longruns up to 26 kilometers. Next week is the last one without threshold work and I'm looking forward to getting some speed into my legs.
Also the brooks shoes have officially been relegated to gym duty, I keep getting knee pains after running with them. Maybe it'll get better with some more wear, but for now they're sidelined.

All depends on your fitness level and natural talent. 5k is long enough that it doesn't require a lot of specific skill work to improve your time. I did a sub 19 5k last year while halfway through my (free) half marathon plan from runnersworld on about 35-45 km weekly. I did some light interval work (800/1600m intervals), but nothing specific to the 5k.

How much do you run right now? What's the fastest you can run 1k/1mile? Have you struggled with injuries in the past?

I run 5 times per week, always over 5km but never more than 10. No injuries except for shin splints whenever I don't warm up properly but I learned to deal with it.

I noticed a gradual improvement since beginning (started at 35 min) but lately it seems like I keep hovering at the 25 min mark.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I run 5 times per week, always over 5km but never more than 10. No injuries except for shin splints whenever I don't warm up properly but I learned to deal with it.

I noticed a gradual improvement since beginning (started at 35 min) but lately it seems like I keep hovering at the 25 min mark.

Typical plan consists of two workouts and a long run. To break 20 I'd focus on one interval workout (800m fast, think 5k or faster, with recovery inbetween each interval).
First, intervals, start with 4*800 or 6*600 at your current 5k pace and try to get that up to 6*800 or 8*600 and then increase speed in those intervals week to week. The intervals should feel hard, but make sure you are able to finish all of them before moving up in distance/speed. You can move up to mile intervals (1600m) if you feel comfortable with the speed. Warm up properly before these workouts (!!!) and pick a track/path that you can run on without endangering yourself with tricky roads/traffic.Honestly, a real 400 meter track is the best option, if available.
Second, long run, if at all possible try to make one of your weekly runs longer. Try 10k at first and increase each week to a goal distance of 15k. This gives you a better base for racing and future training. Don't be shy in cutting another run (to 4 a week) if it opens the possibility for a longer long run. This run should feel challenging in length and pace, but you should still feel good while running and be able to carry a conversation during it.
Third, strides and hill work. Pfitzinger (the author I'm following this year for a 5k program) recommends a lot of strides to get used to running at a higher speed. Read up on how to to them properly and bolt them onto 1 or 2 of your weekly runs (not the speed workout and not the long run) and do 4-8 of them. They feel weird and hard at first, but they helped me massively in improving my form at higher speeds. Your body needs to adapt to running fast before being able to do it for 5 kilometers.
If you want to get more intense, try running some hills, short or long, doesn't matter, the difference in body mechanics helps you speed up and to do so safely.

You will need a bit more mileage to break 20, but nothing crazy. Start with something like this:

• Monday: Rest (maybe do some core strength work or Yoga)
  • Tuesday: Speedwork (4*800 at 5k pace) = 8 kilometers (with warmup/recovery/cooldown)
  • Wednesday: Easy run 5k
  • Thursday: Easy run (strides?!) 6k
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: Easy run (strides?!) 6k
  • Long Run: 10k at comfortable speed
That's 35k for the week. Make sure this doesn't increase your mileage by more than 10% compared to your current situation and pay attention to not increase mileage for more than 3 straight weeks.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Managed to get 5k run today. Not any pain but the whole run I was thinking about my knee. I felt a single click in it but no pain. I could feel some tightness in the top of my thigh but that is likely from the physiotherapy exercises I've been given to strengthen my hip flexors.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Yay, ran 8k on friday and 13 on sunday and my achilles seems all back to normal. And sunny winter weather is very welcome after months of running a lot in the dark with heavy rain and wind.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
What a shit week. I had stomach flu on Monday, still felt very weak on Tuesday, thought about running on Wednesday, but then a cold started and now I'm feeling like shit and coughing like a mad man. Already marked this week as 0 km, I hope I can resume on Tuesday. An entire week wasted, maaaaaan.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I did track in school and am looking to get back into running a bit, but just don't have the time at the moment. I was thinking about getting a treadmill, but holy shit, didn't expect them to be so expensive for some reason. And there's such a huge price range. Anyone have advice on treadmills?

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
I did track in school and am looking to get back into running a bit, but just don't have the time at the moment. I was thinking about getting a treadmill, but holy shit, didn't expect them to be so expensive for some reason. And there's such a huge price range. Anyone have advice on treadmills?
My only advice would to use the treadmills at the local gym. Otherwise, second hand or ex-gym would be worth looking into.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So, i went on my longest run ever - my first 30k training run for the upcoming Marathon.

I overpaced like crazy, but weather conditions were just too nice and i wanted to benchmark myself a bit and get some confidence for how good of a shape i'm actually in.

Total Distance: 30.28km
Total Time: 2:24:01
avg pace 4'45'' / km

I took a gel at km 15 (which i never did or do) and i guess that helped. But oh boy, did i feel sick in my stomach after the run. I had to lie down and try to 'breathe away' the hint of nausea and just nap a bit.
Also, at km 30 my knees hurt so bad. That's kinda the reason why i overpace a lot ... the faster i run, the longer my strides, the less impact on my joints.

Though, i do feel super confident now that i can do the Marathon in 3:30:00 ... and then likely never do it again :P

on a side note: For the first time, i only brought my AppleWatch (S4) and my AirPods - i.e. no phone - and that worked flawlessly. Had my podcasts synced to the watch and it instantly connected to the buds. Really impressed.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Also, at km 30 my knees hurt so bad. That's kinda the reason why i overpace a lot ... the faster i run, the longer my strides, the less impact on my joints.

Uh isn't that the opposite? The longer your strides, the heavier it is (and messier it becomes as fatigue only get worse), the bigger the impacts are on your joints?

Go with whatever you're more confident with for now regardless (stride is not something that is easily changed anyway)

So finally ran my 3rd marathon yesterday, at Tokyo in a non stop rainy and fresh weather, I think I maximized what I could do on race day and pulled of a 2h54 with some crazy 5k splits (21:01, 20:23, 20:41, 20:38, 20:41, 20:37, 20:35, 20:39, 9:00).
Previous PR was a 3h14 two years ago done on much lower mileage, I also know I still have a lot of room to progress (at least looking at my usual mileage, 150-200km/month currently) and what many runners with similar time do/are recommended to do by the most famous plan (FIRST, Jack Daniels, Pfitzinger).

But once again a marathon well managed is much more pleasant to run than a half, which is itself more pleasant than a 10k which, I assume as I never ran one, is also better than 5k. I already had the feeling I was more into endurance but each event just confirm that even more.

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
Uh isn't that the opposite? The longer your strides, the heavier it is (and messier it becomes as fatigue only get worse), the bigger the impacts are on your joints?

Go with whatever you're more confident with for now regardless (stride is not something that is easily changed anyway)

So finally ran my 3rd marathon yesterday, at Tokyo in a non stop rainy and fresh weather, I think I maximized what I could do on race day and pulled of a 2h54 with some crazy 5k splits (21:01, 20:23, 20:41, 20:38, 20:41, 20:37, 20:35, 20:39, 9:00).
Previous PR was a 3h14 two years ago done on much lower mileage, I also know I still have a lot of room to progress (at least looking at my usual mileage, 150-200km/month currently) and what many runners with similar time do/are recommended to do by the most famous plan (FIRST, Jack Daniels, Pfitzinger).

But once again a marathon well managed is much more pleasant to run than a half, which is itself more pleasant than a 10k which, I assume as I never ran one, is also better than 5k. I already had the feeling I was more into endurance but each event just confirm that even more.

Woah, that was a 20 minute PR? That's amazing! It does look like you managed your pacing super well. I still have yet to master having enough left in the tank to do a solid last 10k.

So, i went on my longest run ever - my first 30k training run for the upcoming Marathon.

I overpaced like crazy, but weather conditions were just too nice and i wanted to benchmark myself a bit and get some confidence for how good of a shape i'm actually in.

Total Distance: 30.28km
Total Time: 2:24:01
avg pace 4'45'' / km

I took a gel at km 15 (which i never did or do) and i guess that helped. But oh boy, did i feel sick in my stomach after the run. I had to lie down and try to 'breathe away' the hint of nausea and just nap a bit.

Though, i do feel super confident now that i can do the Marathon in 3:30:00 ... and then likely never do it again :P

on a side note: For the first time, i only brought my AppleWatch (S4) and my AirPods - i.e. no phone - and that worked flawlessly. Had my podcasts synced to the watch and it instantly connected to the buds. Really impressed.

One thing that helps me out is an app called RunTempo. Basically, it's a running metronome. My PT last year said I really needed to shorten my stride and stay in the 180-190 bpm range and that's what I use to help keep me there since I like to listen to podcasts on my training runs. Having a steadier cadence does go a long way with helping to concentrate on overall form and over/under striding in my experience.

Using gels mid run can be helpful but does take a lot of trial and error with which brands and how you use them. That said, there's nothing like GI issues to ruin a perfectly good run :/.

Last edited:

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Hi everyone! I am new to running. Late last year I was hit by a car while hiding a bike and have been slowly recovering. I mostly walked my first 5K last week. (44 minutes is my new time to beat :) )

I signed up for a 10k in late June and have started trying to work my way towards it. I am following a plan, got fitted for running shoes, and am super excited to get going.

How active is our Strava group?

How do you carry your phone on your run?

Do you have a favorite running app?

Thanks!

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Hi everyone! I am new to running. Late last year I was hit by a car while hiding a bike and have been slowly recovering. I mostly walked my first 5K last week. (44 minutes is my new time to beat :) )

I signed up for a 10k in late June and have started trying to work my way towards it. I am following a plan, got fitted for running shoes, and am super excited to get going.

Thanks!

Hi there, if you don't know about it already Couch to 5k is an amazing plan to start with at the beginning!

- Depends what you want to say by "active", there are a fair amount of regular runners members of the group, some do follow each other and share kudos and encouragement but it's not a group where we share a lot of discussion if that's your point (Strava seems less active on that front that regular social networks anyway)

- Ahah that's one question you always wonder at first :p
Well once you really get into running you often end up buying a sports watch and that eliminates the need of taking the smartphone with you, before that though that's up to anyone's preference, back pocket, coat pocket, armband or running belt (that's the one I used for a few months)

- Well... Strava :p

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks!
I have never used my phone for running. I just don't find it comfortable. Ive always used a Garmin watch although have also used an Apple watch and found they're not bad. Depends if you want music whilst running. Some Garmin now have a music function (like the 645m which I have).

I am in the Strava group but just use Garmin tbh.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!

On my most recent run i actually tried running without a phone at all (just the AppleWatch and my AirPods) and it worked fine, up until then i used:

Before that i used:
- an arm strap; which is fine, but the bigger our phones get the more cumbersome it became. Also, the arm strap was super practical when i was still using wired headphones, but as soon as i got wireless ones i switched to...

- a running belt
flipbelt-classic-running-belt-64-700x465.jpg
It's pretty much a "tube" with several openings where you can slide your keys, phone etc. into.
Super snug and easy to grab your phone and slide it back into the belt.

Personally, not a fan of this kind of construction:
as it's way too bouncy imho, but ymmv

With regards to running apps: Strava isn't really big here (Austria) - the 'market leader', so to say, would be "Runtastic". I used Nike+ Running for a while, until it got super buggy with regards to AppleWatch connectivity, but also didn't play nice with Apple HealthKit.
Now i'm just using the Apple Workout app.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks!

Hi and welcome.
I carry my phone with a belt very similar to the one Fliesen posted. It's got enough space for my XR and my keys while not being noticeable while running.

My favorite running app is no app but a website. It's called smashrun and has an unmatched amount of statistics that are presented very nicely. It's not used to record runs though. I use my Polar M430 and import the runs to smashrun later. I use Polar Flow for planning my workouts, Strava basically for the community and shoe tracking and smashrun for everyhting else.

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks!

Hello! Congrats on completing your first 5k and hope all goes well with your build up to the 10k!

-I'd say the Strava group is as active as any other typical one I've been in. Which is to say using it as a way to follow others' training and give kudos and encouragement. It's not super conversational though.

-I use an Amphipod belt for my phone that does the job well enough. I can't really deal with armbands at all. I am planning to actually get an Apple Watch 4 with LTE this weekend for the express purpose of being able to ditch the phone. I'd sooner wear two watches if necessary as I still find the belt annoying.

-I mentioned Run Tempo in a previous post, but beyond that just Strava and Garmin Connect. Just got a Stryd footpod and I'm still figuring out its corresponding app.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hello! Congrats on completing your first 5k and hope all goes well with your build up to the 10k!

-I'd say the Strava group is as active as any other typical one I've been in. Which is to say using it as a way to follow others' training and give kudos and encouragement. It's not super conversational though.

-I use an Amphipod belt for my phone that does the job well enough. I can't really deal with armbands at all. I am planning to actually get an Apple Watch 4 with LTE this weekend for the express purpose of being able to ditch the phone. I'd sooner wear two watches if necessary as I still find the belt annoying.

-I mentioned Run Tempo in a previous post, but beyond that just Strava and Garmin Connect. Just got a Stryd footpod and I'm still figuring out its corresponding app.
Why do you feel like you need the LTE model (at possibly extra monthly data Plan costs?) as a running watch?

Like, do you really think you'd need to make phone calls?
The only reason I'd bring my phone would be for the camera ;)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love an lte apple watch. I have a seven month old and would like to be reachable if there is an issue.
hmmmm, even when i'm with my phone, i have "DND during workouts" activated. - And really, there's nothing more frustrating than getting texts during a run that you can't comfortably answer.

There's very few "emergencies" in my life that can't wait for like an hour; which would make it worth paying like 60-100 bucks a year just to have LTE connectivity

But you do you, ofc.

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
Why do you feel like you need the LTE model (at possibly extra monthly data Plan costs?) as a running watch?

Like, do you really think you'd need to make phone calls?
The only reason I'd bring my phone would be for the camera ;)

Adding the data for it isn't that much more expensive for me, and it's more of a safety thing. That's enough to justify it for me even if I never have end up having to use it for that.

Last edited:

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
hmmmm, even when i'm with my phone, i have "DND during workouts" activated. - And really, there's nothing more frustrating than getting texts during a run that you can't comfortably answer.

There's very few "emergencies" in my life that can't wait for like an hour; which would make it worth paying like 60-100 bucks a year just to have LTE connectivity

But you do you, ofc.

Do you have kids? ;)

r3s

Feb 6, 2018

Congrats on completing that 5km. Awesome. The Strava group is mostly about seeing other member's activities. I used to carry a phone with me before I went the GPS watch route. For that, I just used a cheap and cheerful belt bag from ebay. Early on it was great just to record the run and learn to just run by feel - GPS watches and realtime data make it too easy to run too hard or for you to feel discouraged during a run. Favourite app has to be Strava - great for exploring new routes. I had great success with the couch 2 5k app starting out, especially getting me to run/walk three times a week. Snowballed from there into running with a group, parkruns, longer events etc.
Best wishes staying motivated to knock off that 10k.

Deleted member 28368

User requested account closure
Oct 31, 2017
I think I'm finally reaching a point where I'm eager to have some sort of musical accompaniment to my running, but I'm struggling to find the best way to go. Something relatively inexpensive, but will allow me to save a Spotify playlist and use wireless headphones. My phone - OnePlus 6 - is a bit of a beast, and I wouldn't be overly keen on taking that out with me in all honesty.

So far the best option is seemingly an iPod Touch? The smaller and lighter the better of course. Is there an Android based equivalent? I was looking at the Mighty Vibe but it seems to have a fair few negative reviews around, particularly around poor battery life. Anyone else used one?

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm still sick. Haven't run for 12 days and no end in sight. It's so frustrating.

I think I'm finally reaching a point where I'm eager to have some sort of musical accompaniment to my running, but I'm struggling to find the best way to go. Something relatively inexpensive, but will allow me to save a Spotify playlist and use wireless headphones. My phone - OnePlus 6 - is a bit of a beast, and I wouldn't be overly keen on taking that out with me in all honesty.

So far the best option is seemingly an iPod Touch? The smaller and lighter the better of course. Is there an Android based equivalent? I was looking at the Mighty Vibe but it seems to have a fair few negative reviews around, particularly around poor battery life. Anyone else used one?

Maybe consider a watch with music support, like the Vivoactive 3 Music from Garmin.

Deleted member 28368

User requested account closure
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe consider a watch with music support, like the Vivoactive 3 Music from Garmin.

I was contemplating that too. I've got a Forerunner 235 which I've been very happy with, so I guess if there was a cheaper option to add music to my running life rather than replace that with another watch, I'd likely go down that route. But if there's nothing really suitable out there, a new watch it may be!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm finally reaching a point where I'm eager to have some sort of musical accompaniment to my running, but I'm struggling to find the best way to go....

Get an Apple Wa...
Something relatively inexpensive, but will allow me to save a Spotify playlist and use wireless headphones. My phone - OnePlus 6 - is a bit of a beast, and I wouldn't be overly keen on taking that out with me in all honesty.

... oh :(

is the Galaxy Watch Active any good? It's not WearOS, but it does offer support for Spotify as well as Strava.

Also, this could suit your needs - basically an iPod shuffle sized clip-on player that (supposedly?) does Spotify offline playback.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Woah, that was a 20 minute PR? That's amazing! It does look like you managed your pacing super well. I still have yet to master having enough left in the tank to do a solid last 10k.

A bit late on the answer but I almost missed it.
So yeah 20mn PR strictly speaking but that was a really outdated one from 2y ago, PR wasn't even an objective considering how much I improved since, I was supposed to run a marathon in October 2017 and was already in 3h05 shape back then but it got cancelled and I didn't have an occasion in 2018 I guess.
As for pacing I really respect the distance, I started from my half PR in november (1:21:50) and did some calculations looking at online calculators, but also my own ones based on difference between half and marathon PR for 2016 and 2017, took improvement and increased mileage into account to end up with a projected target time of 2h52-53, I was also planning to even split from the start.
But then I lost 10 days because of an injury, I also had a super average half 3 weeks before so I somehow lowered slighlty my expectations.
I also thought of jetlag as a potential ennemy (I got in Japan the Thursday before the race) and really force myself mentally to adjust to the time difference.
As usual I did some carbo loading, drastically reduced fiber based foods (I had some digestive problem for my marathon in 2017, that shit is not fun), practice my fueling beforehand, carbo loaded a bit... well I was readier than ready.

From there on I had timesplit to respect
- Don't start too fast
- There's a big crowd at the start so don't burn energy zigzaging, you can lose a couple dozen of seconds there, it's fine
- Try to never stay below 4:00 pace for too long, or if you do do it in the last 10km
- Try to do 4:05-:4:10/km as often as possible
- Take the small hills easy, let the body get faster easily on down hills

And that's it really, from there on the body and legs worked like a clock and it was kinda amazing as I kept passing people left and right that didn't manage their race as well.

If there were some details to fixed I think they are minor
- Slightly more fueling, I think an extra gel would have helped by the end
- A less rainy/cold weather probably would've helped cut the time by 1-2mn
- Maybe there was room to be slightly more ambitious but really not by much, you're always on the limit there
- Ideally I should have used my DS Trainer (220g) instead of my Kayani (320g), once I'm ready I think that will help a lot for my next marathon there

So yeah, know yourself, see how training goes, set a realistic objective based on experience and calculation, shoot for an even/negative split and prepare the gear/stuff well in advance, no secret there but it really worked out for me.

I think your last marathon was Barcelona right ?

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017

I have the Garmin 645m. It's pretty good but the Bluetooth ain't great. I'm sure there are rumours that the 245m is due to release soon.

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
A bit late on the answer but I almost missed it.
So yeah 20mn PR strictly speaking but that was a really outdated one from 2y ago, PR wasn't even an objective considering how much I improved since, I was supposed to run a marathon in October 2017 and was already in 3h05 shape back then but it got cancelled and I didn't have an occasion in 2018 I guess.
As for pacing I really respect the distance, I started from my half PR in november (1:21:50) and did some calculations looking at online calculators, but also my own ones based on difference between half and marathon PR for 2016 and 2017, took improvement and increased mileage into account to end up with a projected target time of 2h52-53, I was also planning to even split from the start.
But then I lost 10 days because of an injury, I also had a super average half 3 weeks before so I somehow lowered slighlty my expectations.
I also thought of jetlag as a potential ennemy (I got in Japan the Thursday before the race) and really force myself mentally to adjust to the time difference.
As usual I did some carbo loading, drastically reduced fiber based foods (I had some digestive problem for my marathon in 2017, that shit is not fun), practice my fueling beforehand, carbo loaded a bit... well I was readier than ready.

From there on I had timesplit to respect
- Don't start too fast
- There's a big crowd at the start so don't burn energy zigzaging, you can lose a couple dozen of seconds there, it's fine
- Try to never stay below 4:00 pace for too long, or if you do do it in the last 10km
- Try to do 4:05-:4:10/km as often as possible
- Take the small hills easy, let the body get faster easily on down hills

And that's it really, from there on the body and legs worked like a clock and it was kinda amazing as I kept passing people left and right that didn't manage their race as well.

If there were some details to fixed I think they are minor
- Slightly more fueling, I think an extra gel would have helped by the end
- A less rainy/cold weather probably would've helped cut the time by 1-2mn
- Maybe there was room to be slightly more ambitious but really not by much, you're always on the limit there
- Ideally I should have used my DS Trainer (220g) instead of my Kayani (320g), once I'm ready I think that will help a lot for my next marathon there

So yeah, know yourself, see how training goes, set a realistic objective based on experience and calculation, shoot for an even/negative split and prepare the gear/stuff well in advance, no secret there but it really worked out for me.

I think your last marathon was Barcelona right ?

Thanks for the write-up! Actually, my last full was Boston '16. I blame my lousy second half there on Newton :p. Haven't had another yet due to bad timing and injuries especially last year but I'm aiming for Marine Corps Marathon in the fall if I stay healthy this time.

Last edited:

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, I'm in love...

They feel absolutely insane. Can't wait to try them out.

Don't know a whole lot about these beyond Running Warehouse's description but they seem interesting. I've never run in any Asics nor have I tried anything with that Boa lacing system so I'm curious to read your impressions.

Haunted Tank

Oct 28, 2017
I have the BOA thing on my Snowboard boots - is it really needed on running shoes? Feels a tiny bit overengineered.
I use the New Balance 1500 BOA in races and they are great! The fit is just superb, tight but comfortable, no fear of shenanigans happening with your laces and, most important to me, easy to get out of after the race. I tend to cramp up easily and I remember times where I tried to open my shoe laces for several minutes in vain.

Only downside: Most timing chips are supposed to be worn on your shoe laces, so I have to bring safety pins to attach them to my shoe.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I use the New Balance 1500 BOA in races and they are great! The fit is just superb, tight but comfortable, no fear of shenanigans happening with your laces and, most important to me, easy to get out of after the race. I tend to cramp up easily and I remember times where I tried to open my shoe laces for several minutes in vain.

Only downside: Most timing chips are supposed to be worn on your shoe laces, so I have to bring safety pins to attach them to my shoe.

I use one of these ankle strips for my timing chip (IronMan branded, because i'm a huge show-off, who also only participated in the relay 😜) - Works absolutely flawlessly.

Also, my running shoes are flyknit, they're super snug but also flexible/stretchy, which makes them easy to slip in and out of - i don't really untie the laces, ever.

But whatever works for y'all, i guess. I just wondered if it's weird having that plastic disc on the outside of your shoe :/

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I have two pairs of the NB Sonic V1 shoes, and I really like the BOA lacing system. It locks my foot in nicely, and I can wear them casually or after a race with it untightened.

71NukqEFPaL._UX395_.jpg

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
First run with the new babies went great, still feel very weak, but I guess that's normal after 11 days of sickness and not being able to run. I will save them for races and maybe some interval work though, so for now they're demoted to looking pretty on my shoe wall.

I thought about the timing chip issue Haunted Tank but it seems most races over here have switched to one use chips attached to the starting bib. For the rare plastic chip, safety pins should work fine.

Also I'm very excited that Parkrun has finally come to Cologne. They will start in late March, I've already signed up for their website and look forward to running and volounteering with them. The course looks very hilly, but no pain no gain, right?

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Well all this talk of elasticated laces I bought some of these:
Laces

Hopefully they're good. I really dislike having to retie laces especially in a race.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Took a 6 week break from running to catch up on life, but signed up for a marathon and didnt want to back out. Really wish i would have downgraded to the 1/2 Marathon, but finished it up in DC today, 4:30:12.

Between the lack of training and how cold it was (lived in Hawaii the past year) the freezing temps in DC got too me.

Plan on getting back into regular running this month. Want my next time to be 3:30.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Did my FTP test for March today. Was kind of worried after being sick for almost two weeks. But it turns out running more leads to running better. In February I did 4,58 km in the 20 minute test. Today I did exactly 5 km. So a nice 10 % improvement in the first month of training of this year, even with the illness.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Running more leads to running better, running longer and running faster, we should all run more !
But not too fast and also progressively

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Did my FTP test for March today. Was kind of worried after being sick for almost two weeks. But it turns out running more leads to running better. In February I did 4,58 km in the 20 minute test. Today I did exactly 5 km. So a nice 10 % improvement in the first month of training of this year, even with the illness.

I always feel like I've made literally no progress throughout my training, until i finally benchmark myself (mostly during races) only to realize how much more capable i actually am, compared to my prior assumption.

Like, i that 30k i did a few weeks ago was oh so important for me, mentally.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Have had a heavy start to the week....

Monday
Cycle into work 23k
Run home 19k

Tuesday
Lunchtime hill session 6.5k
Cycle home 23k

Wednesday
Run into work 19k

Have had to up my training, but feel I might have done it too quick... the run in this morning almost killed me

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Have had a heavy start to the week....

Monday
Cycle into work 23k
Run home 19k

Tuesday
Lunchtime hill session 6.5k
Cycle home 23k

Wednesday
Run into work 19k

Have had to up my training, but feel I might have done it too quick... the run in this morning almost killed me

This seems like a very very hard week. Do you track your activities? How much are you increasing week by week?