• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a jump (and still got another 15ish k run to do on the weekend) but needs to be done! Just hoping don't get an injury!

How big is the jump compared to previous weeks? Hoping to not get injured is fine, but there's evidence that big increases in mileage CAUSE the injuries to happen, through over-exertion and fatigue. Please be careful with your body!

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
On top of risking injury you're also probably at risk of not getting enough carbs/nutrient, if you increase volume food should follow suit but your body might not be ready to ingest a much bigger amount suddenly, it needs to adapt as well.
There are ways to alleviate that like taking high quality calories food (nuts are the best), going for vegetables/fruits smoothies because it's much easier to drink than eat and of course try to eat almost the whole day (breakfast, 10AM snack, lunch, 4PM bgger snack, dinner).

It's super confusing at first but dramatically needed when putting high mileage weeks.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
How big is the jump compared to previous weeks? Hoping to not get injured is fine, but there's evidence that big increases in mileage CAUSE the injuries to happen, through over-exertion and fatigue. Please be careful with your body!

Goal is 30k a week, but have been around 20k for a while I guess.
It's the cycling that's new.

On top of risking injury you're also probably at risk of not getting enough carbs/nutrient, if you increase volume food should follow suit but your body might not be ready to ingest a much bigger amount suddenly, it needs to adapt as well.
There are ways to alleviate that like taking high quality calories food (nuts are the best), going for vegetables/fruits smoothies because it's much easier to drink than eat and of course try to eat almost the whole day (breakfast, 10AM snack, lunch, 4PM bgger snack, dinner).

It's super confusing at first but dramatically needed when putting high mileage weeks.

Yeah, to be fair I think it's this that has got me. I felt like complete shit yesterday. Like legs were tired, which I expected, but the rest of me just felt like I'd been hit by a bus.

I think I'm going to have to go the smoothy route, especially in work.... the runs / cycles into work are about 20k and set off around 6am, so can't eat before. So having a smoothy waiting for me in work would be a good thing.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Goal is 30k a week, but have been around 20k for a while I guess.
It's the cycling that's new.

I really don't want to discourage you, running is great, but even just the workouts you posted from this weeks are 45 kilometers, plus you have another 15k planned for the weekend? You cannot go from 20 to 60 kilometers a week without injury and serious nutritional issues. I run 50k a week now and basically eat all day, it's insane you cannot prepare for it, you have to gradually get used to the stress the miles put on your body.
I'm not trying to tell you how to live you life, but Please be mindful!

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
I really don't want to discourage you, running is great, but even just the workouts you posted from this weeks are 45 kilometers, plus you have another 15k planned for the weekend? You cannot go from 20 to 60 kilometers a week without injury and serious nutritional issues. I run 50k a week now and basically eat all day, it's insane you cannot prepare for it, you have to gradually get used to the stress the miles put on your body.

:) I know and it's all sensible stuff you're saying, thank you

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017

Also, when you say you eat all day? What kind of things?
Need suggestions

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Also, when you say you eat all day? What kind of things?
Need suggestions

It's not so much about what you eat, it's about how much. For example for my longrun on Monday (16k) my watch calculated 1700 kcal burned. So I need to consume almost double of my normal intake to just stay at my current weight. If your run into work and that run is 19 kilometers, a smoothie won't cut it. Those have how much? 500kcal max? So you need to eat more to not feel like crap everyday. There's a lot of cookbooks made for runners, you can also find a lot of recipes on Google. The most important thing is to eat more!

Edit: Disregard most of what I said. Fisico's answer is a lot better!

Last edited:

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Calories are not the only thing you have to look at, sugar based food are empty calories it might help in the very short term but shouldn't ever be used in the long term.

Running 50-60k/week lately my daily eating habit is like this

Morning : Breakfast, big bowl of plain oats with almond milk and some fruits mixed with (could be apple, pear, pineapple, kiwi...), also a half glass of orange juice AND some plain 0% yogurt occasionally
After run : A small whey protein shake (probably 7-10g range with 35cl of water)
Lunch : It's all you can eat on the vegetables end, my plate is full, also carbs pasta/rice usually, and non fatty fish or white meat, plain yogurt a small bread and fruits (not fresh unfortunately, pineapple, apricots, melon, mango...). I eat slightly more of everything the days I run
4PM : A banana, 30-50g of various nuts AND something additional the days I run (usually home made cakes or one bought with additional minerals/vitamins)
Dinner : At home so always better, always some bread, often vegetarian dish with plenty of carbs vegetables and vegetal source of protein, might have some cheese occasionally and always try to eat some fruits once again preferably one I didn't eat earlier today

On week-end I vary my breakfast by eating other kinds of cereals and light bread with nuts butter.

Basically : lots of vegetables fruits, protein through vegetables and white meat/non fatty fish (I eat red meat/fatty fish maybe once a week?), nuts every day, lots of different sort of carbs throughout the day. Zero sugar based food, zero alcohool (I never liked the taste so it's not hard at all) as few as possible transformated fatty based foods.

I don't really trust my watch about calories burned as it's mostly based on the cardio which is often wildly inaccurate, I mostly trust how I feel how hungry I am, how much I train and of course check my weight daily (currently hovering at 63kg being 178cm tall)

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting into a habit of running around my uni (at 6-8 pm because I found that temperature really affects my stamina) which is about 5 km with a lot of incline (there's 1 super steep incline right at the end if you go clockwise and a lot of small incline otherwise), is it normal for me to take a break every 1km, or is it a habit I have to get rid of in order to work out efficiently?

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I've been getting into a habit of running around my uni (at 6-8 pm because I found that temperature really affects my stamina) which is about 5 km with a lot of incline (there's 1 super steep incline right at the end if you go clockwise and a lot of small incline otherwise), is it normal for me to take a break every 1km, or is it a habit I have to get rid of in order to work out efficiently?
You'll improve your stamina enough soon that you'll be able to stop at further and further gaps apart where you won't need to stop, eventually. I wouldn't see it as a bad thing.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017

Try to slow down your running and don't stop completely but continue walking when you're struggling to run.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Finished the week at 63k after a tough (but lovely) trail run.

Just weighed, lost 6lbs in a week... Really need to sort my fueling out

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Had a 70k week, due to my last longrun slipping to Monday. I feel pretty good though, maybe the legs are a bit heavy. I'm really looking forward to starting the 5k plan in the middle of April to finally get some speed into my legs. Base work is important, but it can be excruciatingly boring to plough through general aerobic miles. Looking forward to tomorrow's rest and Saturday's park run premiere, sub 19:30 should be possible.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Did a 32k yesterday - we had 22°C outside, and everyone and their moms (literally...) went out on a stroll, bike ride or run.
Finished with an average of 5:15/km (didn't overpace, yay!) and felt a lot better after i was done this time around. I.e., i could actually have a bite to eat afterwards and didn't need to take a nap because i was so nauseous.
(I took 2 gels yesterday... maybe that helped. The gel thing's totally new to me...)

Seeing how the Marathon is 20 days from now, that should have probably been the longest training run for me before the event, right? Like, i should do maybe one 20k the next two weeks and some intervals, right - but not increase my weekly mileage any more.

At least that's what i took from skimming a whole bunch of marathon training plans.

Also i'm very close to reaching my race weight - which will make me have dropped 4kg since late January.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Did a 32k yesterday - we had 22°C outside, and everyone and their moms (literally...) went out on a stroll, bike ride or run.
Finished with an average of 5:15/km (didn't overpace, yay!) and felt a lot better after i was done this time around. I.e., i could actually have a bite to eat afterwards and didn't need to take a nap because i was so nauseous.
(I took 2 gels yesterday... maybe that helped. The gel thing's totally new to me...)

Seeing how the Marathon is 20 days from now, that should have probably been the longest training run for me before the event, right? Like, i should do maybe one 20k the next two weeks and some intervals, right - but not increase my weekly mileage any more.

At least that's what i took from skimming a whole bunch of marathon training plans.

Also i'm very close to reaching my race weight - which will make me have dropped 4kg since late January.

Congrats on the run. Fwiw Pfitzinger has the longest long run in my half marathon plan 21 days before the race, so you seem to be right on track.

How did you figure out your goal weight? I've been thinking about that for a while, especially since I'm building muscle in the gym, which is probably not helping my running.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the run. Fwiw Pfitzinger has the longest long run in my half marathon plan 21 days before the race, so you seem to be right on track.

How did you figure out your goal weight? I've been thinking about that for a while, especially since I'm building muscle in the gym, which is probably not helping my running.

"slightly below my feel-good weight" :D
I'm 1.75m, i usually hover around ~67kg; 69kg is what i hit around after the Christmas holidays, and when i'm pulling the emergency break on candy and late night snacks;
65kg is around as low as i wanna go.

I have a Spartan Race coming up in May, so after the Marathon i'm gonna focus on building up more muscle mass again. (But I'm also trying not to lose any muscle mass in my core and arms while i'm losing those extra kilos)

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
"slightly below my feel-good weight" :D
I'm 1.75m, i usually hover around ~67kg; 69kg is what i hit around after the Christmas holidays, and when i'm pulling the emergency break on candy and late night snacks;
65kg is around as low as i wanna go.

I have a Spartan Race coming up in May, so after the Marathon i'm gonna focus on building up more muscle mass again. (But I'm also trying not to lose any muscle mass in my core and arms while i'm losing those extra kilos)

I'm slightly taller than you (1,80) so that would put me in the low 70s for weight? I'm currently hovering aroung 77-78 and looking to put on maybe 2-3 kg of muscle for summer. I'll need to read more about weight loss while training to decide whether it's possible for my goal race in October.

Spring is here! Leaves, flowers, it's so amazing to see colour returning to the world. Ran without a long sleeve today (only arm sleeves Kipchoge style) and it was pretty comfortable. What a great feeling after the long and grueling winter.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm slightly taller than you (1,80) so that would put me in the low 70s for weight? I'm currently hovering aroung 77-78 and looking to put on maybe 2-3 kg of muscle for summer. I'll need to read more about weight loss while training to decide whether it's possible for my goal race in October.

There's no science behind it, really. - It's just "try to carry the least amount of non-run-relevant weight across those 42km" (while not becoming needlessly lanky)

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
The ideal weight vary for every person and depending on your objective.
If you're focusing 100% on running then you certainly don't need bulky heavy muscle in your upper body, but visually/functionnaly that might not be what you're looking for, still better than cyclist though since we do need a minimum amount (pro cyclist body are scary to look at), if you want to maintain some muscle mass then triming the fat is where you usually head.

I'm 178 63 and if I was 100% focusing I could maybe shave a couple kg of fat max, I could probably shave 1kg of core muscles too but that could be harmful for performance (arms help to propel you forward, abs are essential to keep the body steady)

To give a rough idea, here are where some pro marathonian stand
- Galen Rupp is 180cm 61kg
- Suguru Osako 170cm 52kg
- Mo Farah 175cm 58kg
- Kenenissa Bekele 167cm 56kg
- Eliud Kipchoge 167cm 56kg
- Dennis Kipruto Kimetto 171cm 55kg
- Hassan Chahdi 169cm 56kg (current best french marathonian runner)

But they are the top of the top and most likely had some kind of predisposition for long running distance from the start, for 180cm tall people a lot of them probably shouldn't ever try to reach Rupp's weight due to health concern.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I'm 181cm, 75kg and don't really want to go lower than that weight because since I play some contact sports, as well as running. And my longest race is only a half marathon.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Had my first run of the season yesterday! It was fun, even when the cold air really hurt.
M430 was fine, I would just love if the vibration for the next intervall would be a bit more noticable, I almost didnt felt it and had to look at the display.
The GPS is surprisingly precisely and the sync with Nike + works very good.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Had my first speed workout in the Pfitzinger base building plan today. 18 minutes of Lactate Threshold, felt good to finally let my legs go a little bit. What's different with Pfitz is that the workouts are embedded into normal runs. So after finishing the LT portion of my run I still had 4k to go at medium pace. I think it's supposed to get me used to prolonged effort, but today it felt hard to go on running after exhausting myself in the workout portion.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I'm 181cm, 75kg and don't really want to go lower than that weight because since I play some contact sports, as well as running. And my longest race is only a half marathon.

Similar, I powerlift, cycle and run, I'm 185cm and 84kg. I was a middle distance runner in school and may work up to a marathon for this fall, will be interesting to see how my body reacts to it.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Any way to show the battery percentage constantly on the M430? And is there a option for adjusting the vibration intensity when running?

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Just signed up to tunnel 10k again. Will hopefully smash my 10k last year. Hopefully my training keeps good and my knee holds out this time too

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Any way to show the battery percentage constantly on the M430? And is there a option for adjusting the vibration intensity when running?

I don't know about the battery indicator. One way to check is pressing Start once, it will then show up in the upper right. I think they show it constantly when it's running low. It charges insanely fast. 10 minutes lasts me half a week with 3-4 runs.

Sadly the vibration isn't that strong, there's no way to adjust it. I wear it tightly around the wrist and I can feel the vibration without issues. But I agree it could be stronger.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't know about the battery indicator. One way to check is pressing Start once, it will then show up in the upper right. I think they show it constantly when it's running low. It charges insanely fast. 10 minutes lasts me half a week with 3-4 runs.

Sadly the vibration isn't that strong, there's no way to adjust it. I wear it tightly around the wrist and I can feel the vibration without issues. But I agree it could be stronger.
thanks^^
the loading times are really insane fast.
I am just wondering how the activity tracker works, I have a job where I sit down a lot, but I am always able to get around 150% of the activitys, just with doing stuff in my kitchen and walking in my flat and it appears to me that its way to high.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
thanks^^
the loading times are really insane fast.
I am just wondering how the activity tracker works, I have a job where I sit down a lot, but I am always able to get around 150% of the activitys, just with doing stuff in my kitchen and walking in my flat and it appears to me that its way to high.

I think it counts steps taken, time moving and heartrate in your activity feed. You can setup your level on the polar flow website to better suit your lifestyle. I have mine set to "Semi-pro" (I wish) and it takes a serious effort and a run everyday to hit my activity goal.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I got 4th place at my first Parkrun in Cologne today. Almost caught the guy in third but ran out of distance while he was struggling hardcore. The course is (like I expected) very hilly, but it was so much fun and I'm pretty happy with my time (18:55), although there was some confusion on the first lap which had all runners cut a 200 meter loop. So I won't count the race as a 5k, but it was a great experience.
I already signed up to volunteer next week, since I want to support the team and racing every week probably isn't that great for my training. I'll post some group pictures later, when they're uploaded.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm currently looking into getting a fitness tracker and have no idea where to start. There seems to be a thousand options. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I really just want to be able to track how far and fast I run, anything else is a bonus.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently looking into getting a fitness tracker and have no idea where to start. There seems to be a thousand options. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I really just want to be able to track how far and fast I run, anything else is a bonus.

Depending on your goals: save your money and use your phone? You only need a watch if you need your pace during the run, want to measure your heart rate or dive deeper into training programs. You should think about what you're trying to achieve and what you want to measure with your watch. Some possible things to consider:

Heartrate monitor y/n?
Touchscreen y/n?
music capability y/n?
phone notifications y/n?
everyday use (look and functionality) y/n?

I can't recommend https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ enough. He has insanely in-depth reviews of basically all running watches. Feel free to ask here too!

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I'm happy enough with my Fitbit Ionic for tracking, but I never did the update which came out last year because I heard bad things about.And the music transfer process would have been bad in 2009.

So I end up running a lot with just my iPhone 7+, which is annoyingly large. But I got it before I was doing a lot of running.

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017
I have a half marathon in three weeks and a 5 or 10km race on Monday (long run Sat and Sunday off. I'm thinking either running the 5km full effort or doing the 10km at HM pace? What would you do? Feels like the 10km requires too much restitution to fit into my training weeks

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Got that sub 19 5k done and dusted at the local parkrun this weekend. The road to sub 18 begins. 😬

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Oh crap, I thought the running thread was abnormally quiet and for some reason I was just not getting new post alerts. Apologies!

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Oh crap, I thought the running thread was abnormally quiet and for some reason I was just not getting new post alerts. Apologies!
Same here. I've had to unwatch/watch it again to get email notification (not seeing the red dot at the moment). Edit:Red dot is showing now.

Last edited:

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Got that sub 19 5k done and dusted at the local parkrun this weekend. The road to sub 18 begins. 😬

Congrats!

Had my week 7 long run today (18k) and they really feel tough. Last year's longruns were a test of discipline because I got so bored with the pace, this year they're proper workouts.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did my first 5k in a few months and feel good.

I got a better contract at work (better pay, less hours Woo) so I should have a bit more time to run now. Was put on a slightly later shift last year that made it just awkward enough to stick to a routine like I did previously