• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
So I'm seeing the physio again at some point to work on my knee issues at a faster pace. Hopefully I can stop it from flaring up.
Are there any good half marathon plans people can recommend? Would ideally like one with a 4 / 5 day a week runs. If I find one can I somehow upload it to my Garmin? I find that j really struggle with running at a slower pace and alerts might help me slow down

I've always used Hal Higdon's plans for my half marathons but I'm going to switch to a Jenny Hadfield plan for EHM training.

I've never uploaded anything to Garmin but as Hal's plans are pretty basic I just add each run into my Google Calendar as a reminder and just check before I go out what I need to do. I'll set manual alerts then if I need to.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Finished my 12 week base building plan with a 21k long run today. I'm hungry all day, I need to eat more, but it's so hard.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Finished a 11.6k charity run in 00:48:47.95, which is a 4:12/km split. Not too shabby.
We participated as a 3 person mixed team (not a relay, but just all three runners' times added together), and got 2nd place. Yay!

Feeling great about where i'm currently at with regards to stamina and speed. Got a great foundation to build upon to maybe break the 1:30:00 during a fall Half Marathon.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Sounds like a great run, nice work. My short distance running continues to improve as I work to get back to my mediocre high school 5:30 mile. Also started cycling again now that the weather has improved here in Maine, got my ass kicked on the first day hill climbs, which is surprising as the adrenaline/ignorance usually means I push myself incredibly hard and the *second* ride of the season is the one where I die.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Are there any good half marathon plans people can recommend? Would ideally like one with a 4 / 5 day a week runs. If I find one can I somehow upload it to my Garmin? I find that j really struggle with running at a slower pace and alerts might help me slow down
You may want to give TrainAsONE a go. You link it to your garmin connect account, and it'll suck in some previous workouts. You then classify the runs from the given options and specify a goal race or two and configure your available days to run then it gives you a bunch of assessment runs to do and builds a plan from there. It has a Connect IQ app, so the workouts are synced to your garmin. I'm playing with it at the moment, but have paused the training as I'm in the middle of another training plan for a race early June. I hope to try it out fully for a run in October though. Since TrainAsONE constantly updates the plan based on your previous performance it probably works best if you're a solo runner and don't that doesn't workout with a group that often.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
So I'm seeing the physio again at some point to work on my knee issues at a faster pace. Hopefully I can stop it from flaring up.

Not sure if you've seen that Garmin Coach now has half marathon plans that adjust to your training. Looks pretty good from what I've seen.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
On my way to my first 80k week (of all time). Some aches, but nothing major. Did 5,35 km in my May FTP test (up from 4,5 in February). Very happy with my running right now. Did a 21k longrun on Monday in 1:48. Just need to speed up a bit for October.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Great work Gandie. That's a pretty quick pace for a solo long run - I tend to cruise my solo runs apart from short bursts. I've just finished a three week block of higher kms and had to back off on the last week - general soreness, headaches and a runny nose. Next time I'll ensure I get more sleep. Just over 4 weeks till Marathon day for me and a trail 1/2 Marathon tomorrow morning as time trial. Plan is go for 1:3x. Last year I did it in 1:48 but I've recently taken around 10 minutes out of a 15k race I also did last year.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Great work Gandie. That's a pretty quick pace for a solo long run - I tend to cruise my solo runs apart from short bursts. I've just finished a three week block of higher kms and had to back off on the last week - general soreness, headaches and a runny nose. Next time I'll ensure I get more sleep. Just over 4 weeks till Marathon day for me and a trail 1/2 Marathon tomorrow morning as time trial. Plan is go for 1:3x. Last year I did it in 1:48 but I've recently taken around 10 minutes out of a 15k race I also did last year.

Thanks. As I said before the Pfitzinger Long runs are really really fast (74-84% of max HR) which translate to 150 bpm on the low end for me.

Running with a blocked nose is the worst. Make sure to get enough rest. You don't want to risk getting sick so close to your goal race. If you cut your 15k time by 10 minutes, a 10 minute PB on the HM should be doable. Where are you running?

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Hanmer half marathon with a lovely hill at the start, and running through a mix of forestry road and wide trails. Has a knee deep river to cross with 4km to go 😂. It's a fun course but easy to get it wrong. No need for trail shoes, just something that'll drain water quick and you're comfortable bombing down a gravel road on for a while.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't find an elevation map, but a hill to start your half marathon sounds like an amazing way to start your Saturday morning. I love running in the forest though, I should seek out some forest/trail races for next year. I'm sure you'll do amazing and crush your PB. Good luck and enjoy it.,

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Great race today. Finished with 1:34. Not quite a half marathon pb, but with 300m of up, a river and gravel roads I wasn't expecting it. Managed to knock 14 minutes off my time from last year. Strava indicates I worked too hard up the intial hill, but no matter just push on. The river crossing and remaining KMs sucked as expected, but I found some energy to get a few places in the last two KMs. The sub 3:10 Marathon goal is still on (today's half course time can usually be doubled for the marathon event I have in four weeks).

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Great race today. Finished with 1:34. Not quite a half marathon pb, but with 300m of up, a river and gravel roads I wasn't expecting it. Managed to knock 14 minutes off my time from last year. Strava indicates I worked too hard up the intial hill, but no matter just push on. The river crossing and remaining KMs sucked as expected, but I found some energy to get a few places in the last two KMs. The sub 3:10 Marathon goal is still on (today's half course time can usually be doubled for the marathon event I have in four weeks).

Congrats, what an achievement. What's your plan for the next weeks? Taper or one more work week?

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Something along the lines of 100, 80, 60, and 40km each week with the Marathon at the end of the forty km week. May reduce more if I feel weary at any stage. The main thing from now on is good healthy nutrition and lots of sleep.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Like, you mean Marathon/Race event finisher medals? I toss em. They're not decorative and they're no 'amazing achievement'. Like - and i know I'm gonna sound like one of those baby boomers - but those medals are literally participation trophies. 😅

I might keep the one from my first (and only, who knows) full Marathon - but beyond that... nah, not gonna clutter my place with (imho!) ugly medals and bibs.

Not gonna shame anyone for keeping / displaying them - it's just not my style.

If i were to keep them, i guess i'd use something like this - having your PR's written down somewhere sounds super neat, especially if you manage to beat one of them :)
iu

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Like, you mean Marathon/Race event finisher medals? I toss em. They're not decorative and they're no 'amazing achievement'. Like - and i know I'm gonna sound like one of those baby boomers - but those medals are literally participation trophies. 😅

I might keep the one from my first (and only, who knows) full Marathon - but beyond that... nah, not gonna clutter my place with (imho!) ugly medals and bibs.

Not gonna shame anyone for keeping / displaying them - it's just not my style.

If i were to keep them, i guess i'd use something like this - having your PR's written down somewhere sounds super neat, especially if you manage to beat one of them :)
iu
Fair play. I agree they are participation trophies but most of the ones I have are nice and a good memory!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly surprised people aren't bothered about keeping them. Am I a cleptomaniac?

Somethingsomething 'collect memories not things'.
Does the medal of a random half marathon from 3 years ago still bring a smile to your face? It doesn't to me. Meanwhile, if the race was part of a great weekend trip with friends, you can be sure, i have a photo of that framed somewhere :)

Like, i'd totally get keeping the finisher medal of an IronMan or something like that. That's something, where finishing the event is actually a huge achievement.
Again, not gonna yuck your collector's yum ... in general, i'm not really into that whole "runner culture" thing - mostly because i also think that i'm not good enough to warrant making it a visible part of my 'brand', if you get what i mean. I have acquaintances who are amazing runners, and i can totally understand if they also proudly display all their medals and bibs.

Also, a kleptomaniac is someone who has an impulse to steal stuff. You're thinking of a hoarder, or so.

Oct 29, 2017
Okay here's a new question, how do you guys display your medals? Hang them somewhere?

I did have a medal board which also had my PB times. Then the medals weighed it down and it all fell off the wall and the board broke.

So now they're all packed into a make-up bag for some reason 😀

I do have my first half marathon medal framed along with the finisher shirt and race number. That race meant a lot to me, the medal and shirt are the reward for the effort and determination I put into the training so I'm pretty proud of that.

I've now ran 10 half marathons and I'm proud of all of those medals. I'm not so fussed on all of the other medals for 10k's etc but no harm in keeping them. Lots of them bring back nice memories.

And when I run my first marathon next year, I'll definitely be getting that framed too.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I did have a medal board which also had my PB times. Then the medals weighed it down and it all fell off the wall and the board broke.

I do have my first half marathon medal framed along with the finisher shirt and race number. That race meant a lot to me, the medal and shirt are the reward for the effort and determination I put into the training so I'm pretty proud of that.

I've now ran 10 half marathons and I'm proud of all of those medals. I'm not so fussed on all of the other medals for 10k's etc but no harm in keeping them. Lots of them bring back nice memories.

And when I run my first marathon next year, I'll definitely be getting that framed too.
Yup, keeping / celebrating your 'first' is definitely something i can side with. :)

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Somethingsomething 'collect memories not things'.
Does the medal of a random half marathon from 3 years ago still bring a smile to your face? It doesn't to me. Meanwhile, if the race was part of a great weekend trip with friends, you can be sure, i have a photo of that framed somewhere :)

Like, i'd totally get keeping the finisher medal of an IronMan or something like that. That's something, where finishing the event is actually a huge achievement.
Again, not gonna yuck your collector's yum ... in general, i'm not really into that whole "runner culture" thing - mostly because i also think that i'm not good enough to warrant making it a visible part of my 'brand', if you get what i mean. I have acquaintances who are amazing runners, and i can totally understand if they also proudly display all their medals and bibs.

Also, a kleptomaniac is someone who has an impulse to steal stuff. You're thinking of a hoarder, or so.
I don't know. I look at them and think wow I did actually run a lot of them. Guess it's just a difference of opinions. No offence made with the klepto comment btw.

Yeah I just have em stuffed in a drawer. I don't really take pictures and would rather look at the medals personally! I agree, firsts are great! My parents still have my first marathon medal up at home.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Did my first marathon today.
Training had been shite and been struggling with a gout attack on my foot over the last couple of days, so chuffed with my time of 4.10 (was aiming for 4.15 before the gout hit!)

Marathons though... Fuck with your mind a bit, don't they?!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Training had been shite and been struggling with a gout attack on my foot over the last couple of days, so chuffed with my time of 4.10 (was aiming for 4.15 before the gout hit!)

Absolutely. I've never been this close to crying during a race than i was during my first Marathon this year.
Not because of pain, or physical exhaustion, but because of mental / emotional exhaustion. What a weird sensation to overcome.

r3s

Feb 6, 2018

Congrats on seeing it through and hitting that goal!!! The mental battle is a tough one - though easier if you have a good 'why'. As in "Why am I doing this?". The longer you can delay the negative thoughts ("this hurts", "that looks like a nice shortcut", "maybe I should stop and rest a bit"...) and the sooner you can get past them ("you got this", "only x far to go", "that guy looks to be doing it tougher than me"...) the easier it'll be. I prefer to chew up the middle kms chatting to someone about anything - it definitely make the time go by quicker and lessens the negative thoughts. Nothing worse mentally than someone sailing by you looking fresh in the last 15km or so whilst you're suffering to maintain a steady pace.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Absolutely. I've never been this close to crying during a race than i was during my first Marathon this year.
Not because of pain, or physical exhaustion, but because of mental / emotional exhaustion. What a weird sensation to overcome.
Yep Def. Was holding back the tears a couple of times, for no real reason that I could work out.
Very bizzare

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone experienced with pain in the top of the foot? It flares up when tightening the laces and after runs. I might have taken a hit to the foot while playing football last Sunday, but it definitely is getting worse with each run. Had a hill workout today and I couldn't walk without a limp afterwards even barefoot. I'm trying to cool it overnight and see if the swelling goes down. There's no obvious source of the pain though, so I don't think anything's really hurt, could just be a reaction to the increased volume.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Cancelled my group run tonight, no way I'm running today and risk making it worse. The consecutive 80+k week dream is dead. ;_;

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Gandie, I've only had pain on the top of my feet with over-tightening my laces. Either swapping the laces for longer ones (to reduce the temptation to over-tighten) or gap lace to reduce pressure on the sensitive part of the foot:
GapLacing0.gif

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

I hope it clears soon and good on you for backing off. I've had to do it during consecutive big training weeks. Having a few days off and turning it into a low volume week beats total downtime dealing with a significant injury.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Gandie, I've only had pain on the top of my feet with over-tightening my laces. Either swapping the laces for longer ones (to reduce the temptation to over-tighten) or gap lace to reduce pressure on the sensitive part of the foot:
GapLacing0.gif

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

I hope it clears soon and good on you for backing off. I've had to do it during consecutive big training weeks. Having a few days off and turning it into a low volume week beats total downtime dealing with a significant injury.

Thanks. Cooled it a bunch last night and did a voltaren bandage to fight the inflammation and it's already way better. I'll try tightening the laces less in the future.
Taking today off as well (except for football practice), and I'll decide whether to run easy or a workout tomorrow at a later time.

Unfortunately I'm walking a lot at work right now, which isn't making it easier. Oh well, runners should be used to their body slowly falling apart around them.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
So how do you guys manage different shoes? I see reviews on solar drives that say a good long distance shoe but heavy and maybe not great for 4minutes per Km pace.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
So how do you guys manage different shoes? I see reviews on solar drives that say a good long distance shoe but heavy and maybe not great for 4minutes per Km pace.

I use about 5 different pairs. 1 is worn down and only gets used on rainy and muddy days. 2 are workhorses used on all kinds of runs and rack up the miles quite quickly. 1 is reserved for faster workouts on the track and 1 is a new racing flat, that I only want to use for races after I have broken them in properly.
I bought some standalone shoe racks for each pair and store them on a corner wall of my bedroom together with a few pairs of football boots.

Oct 29, 2017

I have two pairs of Pegasus 35's in size 8 and 8.5, I'm trying both to see which size I feel better in. But normally I just have one pair of road shoes and maybe a pair of trail shoes which I currently don't have any of.

I'm considering a pair of Pegasus Turbo's or one of the other Nike shoes for when I start marathon training towards the end of the year. There's so much choice though. I think it's between the Turbo's and Epic React's for longer distances with nice cushioning but I need to research more.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I use about 5 different pairs. 1 is worn down and only gets used on rainy and muddy days. 2 are workhorses used on all kinds of runs and rack up the miles quite quickly. 1 is reserved for faster workouts on the track and 1 is a new racing flat, that I only want to use for races after I have broken them in properly.
I bought some standalone shoe racks for each pair and store them on a corner wall of my bedroom together with a few pairs of football boots.
Wow that's a lot! Makes me feel a little better about having quite a few. Do you find you get injuries when switching?
I generally use a single pair of trainers and run them till the sole wears through. They normally last about 4 months maybe a little longer.
I'm trying to work up to half marathon comfortably and to aim for a time under 1 hour 30. Just wondering if it's worth having a "quick pair" and "daily pair"

I have two pairs of Pegasus 35's in size 8 and 8.5, I'm trying both to see which size I feel better in. But normally I just have one pair of road shoes and maybe a pair of trail shoes which I currently don't have any of.

I'm considering a pair of Pegasus Turbo's or one of the other Nike shoes for when I start marathon training towards the end of the year. There's so much choice though. I think it's between the Turbo's and Epic React's for longer distances with nice cushioning but I need to research more.
Yeah I feel the same. Would like to get to marathon levels next year. But not sure whether to have a quicker pair and a slower pair.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that's a lot! Makes me feel a little better about having quite a few. Do you find you get injuries when switching?
I generally use a single pair of trainers and run them till the sole wears through. They normally last about 4 months maybe a little longer.
I'm trying to work up to half marathon comfortably and to aim for a time under 1 hour 30. Just wondering if it's worth having a "quick pair" and "daily pair"

No haven't noticed any injuries I could trace back to shoe switching. I have a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS18 that cause intense knee pain after 10-12k, so I don't use them anymore except for daily and gym use.
Having different pairs really helps me getting into the mindset for the workout/run. Might sound a bit cooky, but it's nice to feel the Pegasus Turbos under my feet for an interval session and I brace for a shitty run when putting on the rain/mud pair. I also reward myself with the shoes sometimes. For example I'm dreading a very late 10k Aerobic run after work, but if I use the Nikes it's way easier to get out the door. Another case: I get in the zone when putting on the flats, even if it's a parkrun.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I am starting to think there's something wrong with my running form. I have had knee pain for the past month whenever I try to run more than a mile and I recently bought new because my old pair is super worn out and I thought that might do the trick, but I still have knee pain. :(

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Doing a Spartan Race today - really not into that whole "aroo! aroo!" tough guy shtick.

Doing the 'Super' (13km with 30 obstacles).
Never done a Spartan before, but i've taken part in some other obstacle course / race events, and those were always very 'entry level' (5k distance) and very 'casual friendly' - and i really wanted to be pushed to my limits this time around.

My girlfriend, her brother and i are going to be running together, so we can help one another out at the obstacles... I think it's gonna be fun - if a little chilly.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I am starting to think there's something wrong with my running form. I have had knee pain for the past month whenever I try to run more than a mile and I recently bought new because my old pair is super worn out and I thought that might do the trick, but I still have knee pain. :(
I've had some knee pain when I've done faster pace runs. Got to a physio last night and she was great. Said I don't stretch enough and that's why. She said she's never met someone with leg muscles like I've got that are so tight that haven't led to a rupture. Yikes! So I've got some stretches to do to try and loosen up.

Oct 29, 2017
I've had some knee pain when I've done faster pace runs. Got to a physio last night and she was great. Said I don't stretch enough and that's why. She said she's never met someone with leg muscles like I've got that are so tight that haven't led to a rupture. Yikes! So I've got some stretches to do to try and loosen up.

I tend to pick up a lot of niggles when I do my faster runs. I don't do anywhere near enough stretching either. Before a race I'll do some leg swings and lunges but never bother for training runs. Something I should sort out really.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I tend to pick up a lot of niggles when I do my faster runs. I don't do anywhere near enough stretching either. Before a race I'll do some leg swings and lunges but never bother for training runs. Something I should sort out really.
This is the same as me. I go out running early morning and just get up and put 5k in and then like 10k at weekends. Because I wasn't getting pains I just assumed everything was okay. Real eye opener getting to a physio and being told I'm too tight. I do exercises 3 times a day with just some bicep curls and planks so have just encorporated the stretches into that. This morning I went for a 10mile run and stretched afterward. I already feel a massive difference.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... It's been suggested to me multiple times. How often do you do it? I don't mind doing it on my 2 rest days but would rather just run. IDK I find it a coping mechanism for stress.

I simply do one of Adriene's workouts on Youtube. She has a big selection of lengths/difficulties, so it never gets boring. If you're busy just do one of the 7 or 8 minute post run workouts, if you have more time you can invest more into it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFKE7WVJfvaHW5q283SxchA