• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Its onnnnnn
Wish me luch
Good luck!

However you felt during your last training sessions doesn't matter. The race is the race. Enjoy the crowds. Everybody there cheers for you and has huge respect for your determination.

You're going to do fine and you'll yearn for more, if not immediately after the race, then by tomorrow.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
My training for a full marathon has been going ok. I still have almost 2 months and I've done some long runs up to a half marathon. I really need to push this week and get somewhere above 15 miles on a long run.

My main concern right now is that I am training in Miami during the summer. I can't deal with the heat and humidity in any reasonable way past an hour run. I lose between 5 and 7 lbs of sweat on an hour run outside at night stopping for water every 30 minutes or so. The weather doesn't drop below 80 at any point in the day and humidity is around 80+% as well. It is just brutal.

My tentative plan is to do all my long runs on a treadmill in a more temperature controlled environment and to do shorter strength runs in the 5 to 8 miles range outside, but I feel like that is not ideal. I am doing the San Francisco marathon, so weather wise it will be in a cooler, less humid environment, but there will be more elevation gain.

Any advice on this?

Run with water/food/nutrient/any drink with you, imo it's a must past 1h30 anyway and it's a great long term investment, think something like this
Training in warm environement is doable, you just have to deal with going slower (because you need to if you want to keep same effort level) and it can lead to benefit even when running in cooler weather later on.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Run with water/food/nutrient/any drink with you, imo it's a must past 1h30 anyway and it's a great long term investment, think something like this
Training in warm environement is doable, you just have to deal with going slower (because you need to if you want to keep same effort level) and it can lead to benefit even when running in cooler weather later on.
I am ordering one from REI that will be here on Friday for my weekend long run. I've been apprehensive about getting one, but the weather is forcing my hand. Do a lot of people wear these during actual races?

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I am ordering one from REI that will be here on Friday for my weekend long run. I've been apprehensive about getting one, but the weather is forcing my hand. Do a lot of people wear these during actual races?

Trail races yes, long road races less so (don't think it makes much sense for anything below half, even for half it's not really necessary I think) as drinks/foods are available at drinking station every 5km or more often and gels can be stored in others ways (back/front pocket or belt)
If it's your thing some don't hesitate to take one for marathon, it avoids the stress of dealing with crowded stations and also allow you to control what and how much you drink.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Trail races yes, long road races less so (don't think it makes much sense for anything below half, even for half it's not really necessary I think) as drinks/foods are available at drinking station every 5km or more often and gels can be stored in others ways (back/front pocket or belt)
If it's your thing some don't hesitate to take one for marathon, it avoids the stress of dealing with crowded stations and also allow you to control what and how much you drink.
That makes sense.

I have been pretty serious about my training so far, but I know this is the time frame where everything counts and I am going to start pushing myself. I am confident in my leg strength and lungs, I just need to get a bit smarter about how I am spending my energy and how I am re-fueling.

Haunted Tank

Oct 28, 2017
That makes sense.

I have been pretty serious about my training so far, but I know this is the time frame where everything counts and I am going to start pushing myself. I am confident in my leg strength and lungs, I just need to get a bit smarter about how I am spending my energy and how I am re-fueling.
Try experimenting on your long runs what works for you in terms of refueling.

About 5 days before a marathon I start carboloading. On race day I have a light breakfast, like cereal or some bananas, drink some water and a sports drink. I drink at every aid station, sports drink if possible and pour some water on my head or neck. Every 10 km I use an energy gel with some water.

This works for me, it doesn't have to work for you. Like I said, try it on your long runs. Don't Start experimenting on race day!

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Try experimenting on your long runs what works for you in terms of refueling.

About 5 days before a marathon I start carboloading. On race day I have a light breakfast, like cereal or some bananas, drink some water and a sports drink. I drink at every aid station, sports drink if possible and pour some water on my head or neck. Every 10 km I use an energy gel with some water.

This works for me, it doesn't have to work for you. Like I said, try it on your long runs. Don't Start experimenting on race day!

Yeah you really gotta experiment. For me, I know that if I do a sports drink at every aid station I'm going to feel terrible. So usually in a marathon I skip the ones for the first 10 miles or so, then start alternating water and gatorade. And I take a few gels in the second half, always with water. And the gels CANNOT have caffeine - I learned that one the hard way and had to make two bathroom stops in the race because the caffeine got things...moving....

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Road races not so much. I did all my summer marathon training long runs with one. On particularly hot days I stuffed every pocket with frozen gel packs and half frozen soft bottles (1/2 fill soft bottle with drink, freeze, then fill the remaining amount just before heading out). Just be aware that the additional weight will slow you down, so don't worry too much about pace. It's doable, but you have to get creative.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I survived.
My legs feel like they are gonne but I survived.
Very interesting how good people cheering motivate you when you already think you are done cant walk anymore.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Shaved a good minute on my 10k PR logging, exactly as expected, a 35mn38s last Sunday.
I also didn't feel like shit at all which, for a 10k, has been a rather unusual occurence lately, 17:40/17:58 split, it was also my first real race using the Tartherzeal 6 (Asics racing flat with a weight of ~150g) and it went perfectly, no going back from that now.

Goal by the end of the year is a <2h45 for marathon, which should be enough to auto qualify for most major if I fancy running one of these, everything is going well, building up mileage and staying consistent in training is paying off big time, makes me want to keep improving and know how fast I can get in 10k/half/marathon and where is the limit.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Shaved a good minute on my 10k PR logging, exactly as expected, a 35mn38s last Sunday.
I also didn't feel like shit at all which, for a 10k, has been a rather unusual occurence lately, 17:40/17:58 split, it was also my first real race using the Tartherzeal 6 (Asics racing flat with a weight of ~150g) and it went perfectly, no going back from that now.

Goal by the end of the year is a <2h45 for marathon, which should be enough to auto qualify for most major if I fancy running one of these, everything is going well, building up mileage and staying consistent in training is paying off big time, makes me want to keep improving and know how fast I can get in 10k/half/marathon and where is the limit.

You run in a fairly warm area, yeah? I'd say your goals are entirely within your grasp.

And congrats on your PB!

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Anyone run in Ultra Boosts? I bought a pair from Adidas for easy runs and for casual wear, but when I got them yesterday the black boost on the sides of the soles had made marks on the white heels of the opposite shoes, and they can't be washed off. It's almost like they melted inside the box. So I had to return them. If I get another pair, I'll get a colorway with white soles.

adidas-ultra-boost-asterisk-EF2901_01-7.jpg

r3s

Feb 6, 2018
Fisico, nice work on hitting that PB. Good to see you've set some goals and are seeing the benefits of consistent training.

Curufinwe, I ran about 600 miles in my pair of Ultraboost ST, until the midsole failed under the midfoot. They're ok as a training shoe, but pretty heavy. If I was buying a daily trainer from adidas again I'd probably get the Boston Boost or Solar Glide/Drive - I find I prefer a firmer midsole under the forefoot. The UltraBoost ST knitted upper is solid so they're now my daily sneakers.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Fisico, nice work on hitting that PB. Good to see you've set some goals and are seeing the benefits of consistent training.

Curufinwe, I ran about 600 miles in my pair of Ultraboost ST, until the midsole failed under the midfoot. They're ok as a training shoe, but pretty heavy. If I was buying a daily trainer from adidas again I'd probably get the Boston Boost or Solar Glide/Drive - I find I prefer a firmer midsole under the forefoot. The UltraBoost ST knitted upper is solid so they're now my daily sneakers.
I've got a pair of the solar drive. It's a nice shoe. Grip is amazing. But it's very firm compared to my NB1080v9. I don't mind it for quicker runs or shorter distances but doesn't feel that nice over 40mimutes running.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
You run in a fairly warm area, yeah? I'd say your goals are entirely within your grasp.

And congrats on your PB!

Hum I used to one year ago, now I wouldn't say that, currently living in a moderate climete now, in fact that 10k was run in a cloudy 14° weather which, while slightly too hot for me, was welcome especially in June.
Now come the summer break for races, I did one every month since last September but July/August are just too hot to bother trying, unless I go for another triathlon with my incredibly bad swimming skills.

r3s Thanks :p You're in the same boat as well!

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I did my first run with this on Monday night with both water sleeves filled up, one with a watered down mix of BCAAs and another with just water. I only had one Huma Chia gel pack left so that was all I could take with me.

It felt odd running with it at first, especially with the water sleeves full (adds an extra 40oz to the body on top of the weight of the vest), but I got used to it and was going almost my normal pace. Used the one gel I had around the 6-mile mark, still ran out of fluids around the 10-mile mark and then had some light cramping in my lower stomach/pelvic region around that time as well so I had to walk for a bit. Felt great after that and had a good finish for my first training outside over 13.1 miles. I was able to run the following day, which is not something I can say about other times I have run a half marathon outside.

I'm going to bring even more water next time and another gel pack and maybe a light power bar. I need to get some sort of spandex sleeve for my calves so I can stop sweat from running down my legs into my shoes or maybe I will just run in full spandex. I'm literally sloshing on every step by the end.

I still lost in the ballpark of 7 lbs (175 lbs to 168 lbs) after that run and I can't eat or drink enough to keep up with my hunger/thirst. It's kind of funny.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

Thanks. They are also a lot cheaper than the Ultra Boosts.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

And congrats on your PB!

Hum I used to one year ago, now I wouldn't say that,
I did my first run with this on Monday night with both water sleeves filled up, one with a watered down mix of BCAAs and another with just water. I only had one Huma Chia gel pack left so that was all I could take with me.

It felt odd running with it at first, especially with the water sleeves full (adds an extra 40oz to the body on top of the weight of the vest), but I got used to it and was going almost my normal pace. Used the one gel I had around the 6-mile mark, still ran out of fluids around the 10-mile mark and then had some light cramping in my lower stomach/pelvic region around that time as well so I had to walk for a bit. Felt great after that and had a good finish for my first training outside over 13.1 miles. I was able to run the following day, which is not something I can say about other times I have run a half marathon outside.

I'm going to bring even more water next time and another gel pack and maybe a light power bar. I need to get some sort of spandex sleeve for my calves so I can stop sweat from running down my legs into my shoes or maybe I will just run in full spandex. I'm literally sloshing on every step by the end.

I still lost in the ballpark of 7 lbs (175 lbs to 168 lbs) after that run and I can't eat or drink enough to keep up with my hunger/thirst. It's kind of funny.

Most of the weight loss after a run is straight up dehydration, you get back most of it in 24h usually.
Cramp is when you are too much dehydrated/push too hard usually, you'll see soon enough which it is since you will be bringing more fluid next time but don't hesitate to go slower on average it'll help you sweating less, avoid likelihood of cramping and so on, long run should be done at easy pace first and foremost and only when you are used to it/confident enough you can try to go a bit faster or adding some tempo.

If you're really sweating a lot water only might also not be enough, having some electrolytes or even a salt tab might help (never had to go that far but some do seem to need it, depends on how and how much you sweat.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
After almost 1k kilometers until June my season is practically over. I haven't been able to run for almost 3 weeks now. I contracted something called Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and it's really messing with me. I've been barely able to function enough to go to work, running has been impossible.
Congrats on all of your achievements, I've been following the thread quietly and I hope my condition improves for the fall.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
After almost 1k kilometers until June my season is practically over. I haven't been able to run for almost 3 weeks now. I contracted something called Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and it's really messing with me. I've been barely able to function enough to go to work, running has been impossible.
Congrats on all of your achievements, I've been following the thread quietly and I hope my condition improves for the fall.
Sounds awful. Can you take travel sickness tablets to alleviate the vertigo?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Awww that sucks, sorry to hear that. Hope you can recover soon.

I just found out last week that i won't be able to run at my "benchmark" half marathon this fall, since we're going to a wedding that particular weekend.
Now i gotta find another fall race to shoot for sub 90 minutes :(

edit: whoa, i just read up on BPPV and the "Epley Maneuver" in particular ... that sure sounds like having to solve one of these
iu

... just with your head

Once again: Fingers crossed for a swift recovery!

Last edited:

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Awww that sucks, sorry to hear that. Hope you can recover soon.

I just found out last week that i won't be able to run at my "benchmark" half marathon this fall, since we're going to a wedding that particular weekend.
Now i gotta find another fall race to shoot for sub 90 minutes :(

edit: whoa, i just read up on BPPV and the "Epley Maneuver" in particular ... that sure sounds like having to solve one of these

... just with your head

Once again: Fingers crossed for a swift recovery!

That sucks about your goal race, I'm very particular about my race picks (size, elevation, ...) I hope you'll find something suitable.

It kind of is like solving one of those, except the globe is your head, you cannot see/feel the ball inside and you throw up after every attempt. :lol

Sounds awful. Can you take travel sickness tablets to alleviate the vertigo?

They can help, but only mask some symptoms, so we're treating it without meication.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds maddening, from what I've managed to read about it? Is the prognosis good? I hope you make a speedy recovery

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks about your goal race, I'm very particular about my race picks (size, elevation, ...) I hope you'll find something suitable.

wachau-marathon-elevation-map.png

It's along the Danube, so it's super flat (start -> goal altitude difference is less than 20m)

Also, it's pretty much the biggest event that's just a relatively short drive away. All other "larger" races would require an overnight stay.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds maddening, from what I've managed to read about it? Is the prognosis good? I hope you make a speedy recovery

Prognosis is very good, it's suppposed to go away after 1-2 weeks of doing the excercises, though it can come back every few years, fingers crossed. It mostly affects women above 50, lucky me.

wachau-marathon-elevation-map.png

It's along the Danube, so it's super flat (start -> goal altitude difference is less than 20m)

Also, it's pretty much the biggest event that's just a relatively short drive away. All other "larger" races would require an overnight stay.

I've never travelled for a race, but it is on my bucket list to run the Copenhagen half, would be interesting to see if one could enjoy the city trip with the race in the back of my head.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I've never travelled for a race, but it is on my bucket list to run the Copenhagen half, would be interesting to see if one could enjoy the city trip with the race in the back of my head.

It's great fun. We did Munich last year, did Salzburg this year. Always a group of like ... 6-10 people.
Arrive on Saturday, do some shopping and sight-seeing. Have some carbs for dinner, run the race, (like, as a relay, or individually), take a shower, feast, travel home :)
But those are definitely not the races you attempt to run a new PB.

Berlin / Hamburg is definitely still on our bucket list. But the couple we're doing these trips with, they're currently expecting a baby, so, understandably, a city-trip-marathon-weekend is currently not on their radar.

The issue with races outside of Austria is the fact that - these races are usually either in Spring or Fall, never in Summer; and my girlfriend's a teacher, so her 'travel window' on a regular work week is Friday afternoon -> Sunday night. Can't just take a day off to make a long weekend.

So anything further than central Europe is pretty much a no-go

Last edited:

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
It's great fun. We did Munich last year, did Salzburg this year. Always a group of like ... 6-10 people.
Arrive on Saturday, do some shopping and sight-seeing. Have some carbs for dinner, run the race, (like, as a relay, or individually), take a shower, feast, travel home :)

Berlin / Hamburg is definitely still on our bucket list. But the couple we're doing these trips with, they're currently expecting a baby, so, understandably, a city-trip-marathon-weekend is currently not on their radar.

The issue with races outside of Austria is the fact that - these races are usually either in Spring or Fall, never in Summer; and my girlfriend's a teacher, so her 'travel window' on a regular work week is Friday afternoon -> Sunday night. Can't just take a day off to make a long weekend.

I would want to spend at least 3-4 days to get used to the city and climate. You need more Feier- and Brückentage in Austria.

Kipchoge is going for it by the way.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
For the european interested Vaporfly Next% are available on nike's website.
I'm on the fence myself so I decided to wait for my next paycheck in a few days, if it's still in stock by then then I might bite but... urg, 275€ is a lot to ask for shoes and it really set a very bad precedent to keep increasing the price of an already super expensive line of shoes.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the fence myself so I decided to wait for my next paycheck in a few days, if it's still in stock by then then I might bite but... urg, 275€ is a lot to ask for shoes and it really set a very bad precedent to keep increasing the price of an already super expensive line of shoes.
0GgUI7d.png

Uhm, not even sure i could walk in these 'high heels' :D

Not a fan of the pointy heel on all the zoom shoes, neither of the upper.

Epic react flyknit for life!

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
*next%*

Uhm, not even sure i could walk in these 'high heels' :D

Not a fan of the pointy heel on all the zoom shoes, neither of the upper.

Epic react flyknit for life!

I was sceptical myself since I'm pretty much used to running in Topo ST-2, which are pretty much a sock with a hard sole, but when I tried them on the store you can really feel an extra push on each step like the shoe is helping you keep your feet off the ground. Of course that could be an effect of going from a minimalist shoe to something more cushioned and not specific to the Vaporfly, so take it with a grain of sand.

In any case it feels enough of a push that I only use them on races: I don't want to get used to the extra help otherwise.

I think there are half-marathons all year round in Spain, but most of the big ones are from October to June. If you ever decide to run one in Barcelona give me a shout ;)

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Just picked up some NB 1500T2 trainers with BOA lacing system. Not tried them yet but my NB1080V9 have finally worn through the sole. Hopefully they're as good for half marathons but better for shorter distances. The boa lacing is great.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered another pair of Nike Epic React's online today. I have been using one pair for most of my training but they are around 500 miles now and I am 3 weeks out from my marathon. They should be in for my last long run before the race.

Definitely still nervous.

I think I can finish the marathon and that is my main goal. Not sure what my target should be beyond that because I am running in such a different environment in comparison to the race. There is 1800 ft of elevation gain and I am running mostly flat besides for my weekly inclined treadmill run but the temperature should be roughly 25 to 30 degrees lower and that should help some of the little hydration/cramping issues I've had. I think 4 hours is my secondary goal, but I won't be super disappointed if I don't hit that.

My long runs so far have maxed out at 19 miles outside and 21 miles on a treadmill. I am hoping to get one 20-22 miler with a stronger finish in later this week before tapering.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered another pair of Nike Epic React's online today. I have been using one pair for most of my training but they are around 500 miles now and I am 3 weeks out from my marathon. They should be in for my last long run before the race.

Definitely still nervous.

I think I can finish the marathon and that is my main goal. Not sure what my target should be beyond that because I am running in such a different environment in comparison to the race. There is 1800 ft of elevation gain and I am running mostly flat besides for my weekly inclined treadmill run but the temperature should be roughly 25 to 30 degrees lower and that should help some of the little hydration/cramping issues I've had. I think 4 hours is my secondary goal, but I won't be super disappointed if I don't hit that.

My long runs so far have maxed out at 19 miles outside and 21 miles on a treadmill. I am hoping to get one 20-22 miler with a stronger finish in later this week before tapering.

There are some Marathon pace predictor tests (Yasso 800, Gavela Test...) but I feel they don't take into account the individualities of each runner, still they provide useful information and they are easy enough to do.

If you want to play it safe I'd aim to hit your long run pace on the flats and then go with even effort on the up/downhills, always taking into account how you feel as the race progresses. I'd also recommend taking the first two kilometers as the "pace ramp-up" phase (if there are lots of people you won't be able to start at your race pace anyways) and trying to finish a little faster than Marathon pace.

If your training plan gives you additional instructions for your long runs, i.e. 70-60-50% effort, then you'll probably have some more headroom in terms of pace.

Oct 29, 2017
Stryd has suddenly changed from an intriguing tool that was a bit of a hassle to use to now being something that could be incredibly useful and helpful with effort during training and races.

Beforehand you would need to run a specific test every so often to determine what your Critical Power is. The test was pretty inaccurate from my experience and was open to the user making mistakes quite easily.

Now the update has the software looking at your last 12 runs and calculating your CP for you. If the calculated CP is actually correct, it'll help massively in making sure I train in specific zones and will give me a realistic power target to aim for in races.

Interesting!

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, tried to do my long run this morning and my legs just felt like they had bricks attached to them. I wasn't even going at a fast pace. I stopped and tried to stretch out and try again but they still didn't feel good.

I am going to chill for a little bit and try again later, but that really worried me.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First night race in a long time tonight with the Brooklyn R-U-N 5K. It'll still be hot as hell, but at least there will be some shade from tree cover along the course.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend keeps getting those age-group trophies on local runs, while i keep missing out, just barely. 😆

For reference, we competed at a trail run this weekend (600m elevation over 8.5k),
she finished 91st - but 2nd in her age group (W20, 8th woman overall)
I finished 16th (16th man overall, but only 5th in M30).
Next year, she's gonna be bumped to W30 and i'm gonna get bumped to M35 - and the tables shall turn!

And of course she's also the one to win at the bib number raffle afterwards - two coupons for a pretty nice breakfast at a nearby hotel!

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
I've started exercising again for the past 2 weeks and have been doing some jogging... nothing crazy, just a light 20 min jog every other day or so as part of the plan I'm sticking to.

Unfortunately I've started to feel a pain on the outside of my right knee in the last few sessions and reading up on it all the symptoms point towards it being Iliotibial band syndrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome). Seems like there isn't any real "cure" for it from what I have read, so was more wondering if anyone here have dealt or are dealing with it and how they have gone about doing so?

Last edited:

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
I've started exercising again for the past 2 weeks and as part have been doing some jogging... nothing crazy, just a light 20 min jog every other day or so as part of the plan I'm sticking to.

Unfortunately I've started to feel a pain on the outside of my right knee in the last few sessions and reading up on it all the symptoms point towards it being Iliotibial band syndrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome). Seems like there isn't any real "cure" for it from what I have read, so was more wondering if anyone here have dealt or are dealing with it and how they have gone about doing so?

Yeah it's a nasty injury with no real cure. The best treatment is prevention really, so you should identify what is causing the ITB syndrome and work to improve that.

I'm just coming back from the same injury and I went to a physio who identified that a weak glute was causing mine. He provided me with exercises that mainly focused on glute strengthening and activation before running but it should also have exercises that improve all ITB issues.

I'll also preface this by recommending that you see a professional as well who can much better diagnose your injury and provide you with a tailor-made exercise plan.

Leg Lift Knee Flexed Prone

Glute Activation Exercise - Keep the leg bent and use the glute to raise the leg 2-3" then lower under control. Relax the glute before starting the next rep. Make sure you feel the glute working, bring the heel closer to glute if not.
Perform 2-3 times daily | Repeat 3*10 times | Perform both sides.
Video: http://youtu.be/UudoV5OHvac

Donkey Kick

On all fours with hands below shoulders and legs bent to 90°, slowly raise one leg until the thigh is parallel with the floor. Hold for 1-2s then slowly lower down to the start position.
Perform every 2-3 days increasing the amount of reps as you get stronger. Perform 1 times daily | Repeat 2*10 times | Perform both sides
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkTil-WCYCA

Clam

Lie on your side, with both knees bent. Keeping your feet together, and squeeze your deep abdominal muscles by drawing the belly button inwards. Open your knees, like a clam, hold, and return to the start position. This is a good strengthening exercise for your gluteal (buttock) and outer thigh/hip muscles.
Perform 1 times daily | Repeat 3*10 times | Perform both sides
Video: http://youtu.be/1ECrWm-3SKo

External Rotation Table Glute Stretch

Place your foot on a table, with your leg turned inwards. Lean forwards slightly to feel a stretch in your buttock. Hold the stretch.
Perform 3-4 times daily | Repeat 3 times | Hold for 40s | Perform both sides
Video: http://youtu.be/Nh3gioc_x4I

Glute Stretch Supine 1

Lie on your back, and bring your knee towards your opposite shoulder to feel a stretch in your bottom. Tip: changing the angle you take the leg will change the position of the stretch and you can play around with the position to find the stretch that feels most effective for you. Use your free hand to pull the lower leg up toward chest to increase the stretch.
Perform 3-4 times daily | Repeat 3 times | Hold for 40s each position | Perform both sides
Video: http://youtu.be/6ovFfq2UNxc

Hamstring Stretch 1

Standing up, place your foot on a chair or bench. Keep a slight bend in the knee so the stretch is felt mid hamstring. Bend forward an the hips keeping the back straight to increase the stretch.
Video: http://youtu.be/lG8n4i5To-o

Quadriceps Stretch 1

Lie face down, and bend your knee bringing your heel towards your bottom. Use your hand or a towel to create overpressure. You will feel a stretch into the front of your thigh. If you can't reach your leg, hook a towel around the shin to grab.
Video: http://youtu.be/DcRxNzNq8k4

ITB Stretch

Standing, cross your legs, and run your arm down the side of your leg. You should feel a stretch in your back, and slightly on the outside of the opposite leg.
Perform 3-4 times daily | Repeat 3 times | Hold for 40s
Video: http://youtu.be/GodaVDAhOYQ

Ice to Your Knee (Sitting)

Apply an ice pack or frozen peas to your knee. Make sure you wrap it in a thin towel so its not too cold. Use this to reduce pain and inflammation. You may also find it useful to elevate the leg to further reduce swelling.
Perform 2-3 times daily | Hold for 15mins
Video: http://youtu.be/SVINiq9gNj0

I hope this helps and you are able to get out running again but like I said it's best you visit a physio yourself.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I've started exercising again for the past 2 weeks and as part have been doing some jogging... nothing crazy, just a light 20 min jog every other day or so as part of the plan I'm sticking to.

Had a similar thing. Went to physio. She said she couldn't believe I'd not ruptured anything because my muscles were so tight. Gave me some stretching exercises to do which I do twice a day and honestly my legs have never felt so great.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's a nasty injury with no real cure. The best treatment is prevention really, so you should identify what is causing the ITB syndrome and work to improve that.

I'm just coming back from the same injury and I went to a physio who identified that a weak glute was causing mine. He provided me with exercises that mainly focused on glute strengthening and activation before running but it should also have exercises that improve all ITB issues.

I'll also preface this by recommending that you see a professional as well who can much better diagnose your injury and provide you with a tailor-made exercise plan.
Thank you for taking the time to write that amazing in depth reply, very helpful and appreciated.
Had a similar thing. Went to physio. She said she couldn't believe I'd not ruptured anything because my muscles were so tight. Gave me some stretching exercises to do which I do twice a day and honestly my legs have never felt so great.
Thanks for the reply, great to hear that you have had a positive experience dealing with this issue... guess I need to find a physio and book an appointment.

Last edited:

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
That's a typical problem when starting running frequently, hard to identify the cause, rest and slowly building up your body with running and various means (see above posts) usually takes care of it.
Though you'll have to be careful about it, some people want to get through the pain and end up with something lasting for months or coming back regularly for years.

I went through that myself a few years ago, had to switch to cycling most of the time for a couple months but it never came back since.