• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way that the Bronx 10 Mile and the Staten Island Half are always so close together annoys me every year.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I finished a 5K race this morning and I do this specific race every year. I ended up running my fastest 5K ever with a time of 21:17 (6:51/Mile) which is great but I was disappointed because I finished second in my age group and was hoping to get first. After a disappointing race I had at the end of Summer I completely changed my running routine. I upped my weekly mileage, added long slow runs and interval work, and it's clearly made a huge difference. My time last year at this race was 26:20. My fastest 5K this year prior to this one was 23:23 (which was only six weeks ago). I'm gonna continue with my training and sign up for a Turkey Trot this year. Hopefully I'll continue to progress and take hope a first place at some point.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
I finished a 5K race this morning and I do this specific race every year. I ended up running my fastest 5K ever with a time of 21:17 (6:51/Mile) which is great but I was disappointed because I finished second in my age group and was hoping to get first. After a disappointing race I had at the end of Summer I completely changed my running routine. I upped my weekly mileage, added long slow runs and interval work, and it's clearly made a huge difference. My time last year at this race was 26:20. My fastest 5K this year prior to this one was 23:23 (which was only six weeks ago). I'm gonna continue with my training and sign up for a Turkey Trot this year. Hopefully I'll continue to progress and take hope a first place at some point.

That's a huge improvement, congratulations! Don't be too disappointed in getting second place, most often than not finishing position depends entirely on factors beyond your control. What counts is the effort you put in, and that is clearly there.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing well done!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
awesome progress!

It's always great to set new Personal Bests at events you've competed at before.
It always kills me to see a running buddy of mine never cherish the new PB over the frustration of not hitting his ''target time'' - like, he was aiming at a sub 1:30 Half Marathon last Sunday, he did finish in 1:34:something, which is like 4 minutes faster than his previous PB (during that same event last year) - so that's already amazing progress.

This weekend, we competed at a semi-local run (small event, like 100 runners) - i finished 2nd in M30, while my girlfriend finished first in W20 (though, admittedly, the W20 age group is rather easy to perform well in, due to the small quantity - and "quality" - of runners).

There's like 2 more smaller running events this year (10Ks) - and then i'm gonna focus on next year's Marathon again. I'd love to go sub 3:15:00.

Oct 29, 2017
I've got the Great Birmingham Run this weekend. Training hasn't gone completely to plan with the last few weeks involving a kidney infection, stomach bug and a cold (which I still have) limiting my running.

So I received a survey asking for my thoughts on the race, how my training has gone and what time I expect to get.

Normally I'd aim for under 2 hours but given the last few weeks haven't been good at all, I've been more relaxed about my time and said 2 hrs 15 mins to finish. The survey has offered me £40 in Amazon vouchers if I manage to beat that time so that's a nice incentive. I ran a 10 miler a couple of weeks ago in 1:34:35 so I should be okay for this half. Looking forward to it, it'll be my first race in my Hoka's too.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Staten Island Half this Sunday, and I'm woefully, laughably under-prepared. I'm also down with a cold. This is going to be great.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I've got the Great Birmingham Run this weekend. Training hasn't gone completely to plan with the last few weeks involving a kidney infection, stomach bug and a cold (which I still have) limiting my running.

So I received a survey asking for my thoughts on the race, how my training has gone and what time I expect to get.

Normally I'd aim for under 2 hours but given the last few weeks haven't been good at all, I've been more relaxed about my time and said 2 hrs 15 mins to finish. The survey has offered me £40 in Amazon vouchers if I manage to beat that time so that's a nice incentive. I ran a 10 miler a couple of weeks ago in 1:34:35 so I should be okay for this half. Looking forward to it, it'll be my first race in my Hoka's too.

They're offering you money for breaking a personally set time? crazy!
Good luck with you run!

What's y'all's guess on Kipchoges chances to achieve the 1:59:.. tomorrow?

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like his chances are good but the margins are so slim that it comes down to whether he's having a good day or not.

I still think someone's going to do it in the next few years. I ran Berlin last month and the conditions were far from ideal, but Bekele still got within two seconds of the record. Having more than one guy in the ballpark has to be good for competition.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
He missed it by 26s last time and improved his PR on a regular road race by more than one minute since.
If he's a on a good day (not great or awesome, just good) I have no doubt he should be able to achieve it unless conditions are bad.

Him being older is not even a factor as Bekele showed us in Berlin just a few weeks ago.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017

Staten Island Half this Sunday, and I'm woefully, laughably under-prepared. I'm also down with a cold. This is going to be great.

Take care both of you, and good luck in your runs.

What's y'all's guess on Kipchoges chances to achieve the 1:59:.. tomorrow?

I'm leaning towards him finally getting the sub-2h marathon tomorrow. He's crazy prepared and they've tried their best to get the best racing conditions.

It sounds like his chances are good but the margins are so slim that it comes down to whether he's having a good day or not.

I still think someone's going to do it in the next few years. I ran Berlin last month and the conditions were far from ideal, but Bekele still got within two seconds of the record. Having more than one guy in the ballpark has to be good for competition.
He missed it by 26s last time and improved his PR on a regular road race by more than one minute since.
If he's a on a good day (not great or awesome, just good) I have no doubt he should be able to achieve it unless conditions are bad.

Him being older is not even a factor as Bekele showed us in Berlin just a few weeks ago.

At the same time, I agree with both of you. The difference is so small that all this preparation might mean nothing in front of the runner's state-of-mind that day.

In any case, the moment when the 2 hour barrier gets smashed in a "real" race is going to be glorious (and not that far off I expect).

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the sub 2 in an actual race is something one of the already known runners will achieve in time (with even better preparation, perfect racing conditions, and even better equipment), or if that one's reserved for the next once-in-a-decade talent.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the sub 2 in an actual race is something one of the already known runners will achieve in time (with even better preparation, perfect racing conditions, and even better equipment), or if that one's reserved for the next once-in-a-decade talent.

Let's look at some race results:
And the world record progression.

It seems like every three-four years there's a substantial reduction in Marathon race time. Extrapolating this completely un-scientific trend would put us at 2021-2022 for the next milestone. I don't think the current runners will be that old by then for them to be candidates, but by then there's going to be a new wave of runners that will have been training specifically to hit 2:51/km. Tough to say, exciting times ahead for sure.

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017
Scientists have estimated that due to the shoe and drafting, he will «only» have to run a 2:03:40 marathon to break 2:00:00. A nice achivement, but it's really pointless when he's doing it outside all the rule. I could probably break the hour record if I was drafted behind a car

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Scientists have estimated that due to the shoe and drafting, he will «only» have to run a 2:03:40 marathon to break 2:00:00. A nice achivement, but it's really pointless when he's doing it outside all the rule. I could probably break the hour record if I was drafted behind a car
Apparently, the car provides negligible drafting advantage. There's a wired video about the Nike sponsored attempt at Monza - the biggest advantage is the team of human pacers and the drafting they provide.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Smashed it. Well done.

Now we see if it opens the floodgates like when Bannister ran the four-minute mile and get some serious attempts at it in a race!

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
kipchoge_159bjk42.png

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Ran a 10k race yesterday - really strong runners because it's part of the regional 'cup'.

Thing is, i had totally forgotten what my 10K pace is ... the last few races i ran were 5Ks, the last 10K was in May. And for the 5Ks my target pace was always somewhere between 3:50 and 3:55 ...

So i got a little bit caught up and overpaced like crazy for the first 2km (close to 4:00/km or so), but i did finish at 41:36 with an average pace of 4:09, which is a 9s/km improvement over my previous PB.

Like so often, my girlfriend finished 1st in W20 because it's - admittedly - a relatively 'weak' age group (as opposed to M30).
There's one more race in November, but basically i'm about to start focussing on next year's 42k marathon.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Depends on the training.
If I'm doing an easy or long run it's feel of course, if it's intervals or tempo then pace.

Heartrate is a good indicator to look at after intervals/tempo to see how you can readjust your target for next time if needed

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the training.
If I'm doing an easy or long run it's feel of course, if it's intervals or tempo then pace.

Heartrate is a good indicator to look at after intervals/tempo to see how you can readjust your target for next time if needed

Pretty much this. Although if I'm doing hill sprints I tend to use running power.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
Short update on my never ending story. After 15+ doctor visits, I'm right back where I started. Without any idea what could cause the dizziness etc. Current hypothesis is CFS chronic fatigue syndrome, which is pretty scary. Haven't been on a run since August, no serious training since June. Have stopped playing football, there are days where I barely make it to work. I just want to go back to running and enjoying daily life.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Short update on my never ending story. After 15+ doctor visits, I'm right back where I started. Without any idea what could cause the dizziness etc. Current hypothesis is CFS chronic fatigue syndrome, which is pretty scary. Haven't been on a run since August, no serious training since June. Have stopped playing football, there are days where I barely make it to work. I just want to go back to running and enjoying daily life.

Awww, that sucks :(
I hope you'll find the cause - and a possible solution / treatment, so you can just write this year off as an involuntary hiatus.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. Having to stop doing something you love sucks and it must suck even more when the cause is a complete mistery.

If you ever need to vent (which might help, mentally) we're here for you, either in this thread or via PM. No questions asked, judgement-free.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
:(
All the best gandie. Hope things improve.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, right, the United NYC Half Marathon is outrageously expensive compared to the other races during the year.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I've been running almost exclusively at parks/trails over the last month or so. The weather here has been amazing on the weekends. It's gonna be sad when the winter comes. Running is a lot easier for me when the scenery is as nice as it's been. It's also just nice to get off the roads and into nature. I used the AllTrails app to help find some I wasn't aware of. Highly recommended if you wanted to do some trail running. I had to stop and snap a few pics. Each one is from a different trail.

scfE8Y9BCn_zuNjKdIyrmpbn02h7h3hToGYrGbLjD4fqYW8T7dbhmRn7UgFHvoxh-iqPPjfAfM9AH42CxBs1EZgplVtqKtx1McM0-4H00WEtOZuxC9vJmTs6kxFAhwlM9pnRibGDt6qf-RrChinKLeccKTTDsBe-lcHj947NvVJGjOUY3oN6UzDwfSlXSSNKoY8MG6AbkNvATerrbMChaijM9-UvltgvEaXZJdz0hT-lCe_9BmYZZPAXB_-WxmYluqmEa8suvB4txTf0OzN3WgCug9cQifOw1DBt7kxNkN9PGRjZLQBRcfB0Q696eDwYe8_R6ZO93r3bAqVvXrj-mAVglqRQ44bI4_k7DB0ugdFQNv2ATe1cfW73-InFSdh4GDOkrR7kPWIEnKKPMUuDTVoljmrn8GPy-FQ6HdTkLnPhZO6xSpeDlVvhkFNLg4Tstb_YXfCzY9QON7ktq68K8XevTBvAtO8CfrJ0k1auqeuXg36D2jUjPASN2pYF6LFCNFHuFX2FPb6jxmiAlVLcD3yk1BRvDMoW_TSbIWmbS-TuA4Vwow_MK7JKPrR26b9f3KOayr5fqs_8wX0OprZ4OEQJWgmBhbkSg5Nx814PM_eagbdIUH38UOoXM7EQJeVckbV3tOIw8dtA05cmg1x2gtm3ANTaHcOKQDcev7_ypvhICHDnop7TiA=w1605-h903-no

tbvnUtH30tAQ3McwChckfL3wmWTeH9aFjtzmGEKhyP1RH0E3wxbpJ1ENYe1_nmy0uOV1G61BIMAuP_JqqYyRoLspjshgUQMQllI-3O10IZR__cVeOeCxRI4c30Gzi51sLw1x2E2yp725631HJEjAkfBMuDEBpxsTbeE5Hg0TxjLwzldgLOqqHMgESfaRGUXYFp_FtoC7lBNSvpGSycVkXj2JjwR9ew6CM0-jbnBud7ABl20odcU1ruEW-qCnqv3HFv_RZPTkm9r-Dj8BYAsodcZx10cidCPbiyZ4PxNW9-9bdLxdBlfTvLI9_vTe4iLTJwEKOwShNKJtwhSVLEem-xbY36WIUVIpioZ08X99s5JYMRxJXWqGQbNt2n9xK-5toS09kJO4wvUS67eBcxvC3egaj6_F5loSAfkq9mcnIEu8dEXhj7dxDmkZ6VLBhcFzg4F-QZ4QiwLyWEac7B6uT9rAxVfuuesNm-Aqz8sCR5Mv9JMNUc7EixzkjcFiW6SUx0Y3BwvOs4pWXouEFLnurwem3kMqSnQIPExL9PZ_9w1WWOTL3QcXmqSsiScfsQnXgAfEuey9lKjgAKWJMxDb69GGkrvE681iNwpWlW7Aw3pYyu4_HIuJfjBcOpGWaBeJIq3MG6lIMyYiKy0hR6lO269KvSTOYhaxxH5UufieDZQp9U3Y4WVfzA=w1605-h903-no

d-8ls-KENtCH2DkpHBdJ15XZ5mwxPfOQsptCqQnPnk2RCZjZJUCOWK0JQ5fSflINTEinJ0QY32uYWAnbCIiqmJjgN9K5LcXuPVqB9Myz33MFsqzvvzr94R9hzsXZiOebCoaM4uEM6Il_NQH4PMwdrkr9J453h4re4RYKb6hMkX6Vt-WOMbuzGDvBUGM10vosM52G1T2y5GZufFexxonGjpZoMgjD7pATEAOhQTSJE4bNSn0NYNq-iBWZJC6QQHQIJANUi1qMcl5FAWFhB-jR7docafKycM2krLE8f5TOc4RnUqfCKUYikUUQqC4aisys_iRF6B5FrGKitQiZoZ4tY_ouUMwj0B-cVhOW7LdVGrO9SxE98BUt71v7KPUPb22p_Ks2lMnFrbPJ0SCAQ9Xu_qzTBoAH357cK9An0q1-HtUxG4omXn6OqfQVdWBupcOxowWCIHMZVLr7lh2WZgJg1sDbVc5bh3vuK6OXZzHuUAL_4zc3TtyzJ3TSpBnPE2ynQ_nEO6XAfIOb23jvfH9pza4zJWsnJQt-45tZfW0eT_Ezbt2MMFIK5cztvQcpoTzp6ztPvSRXMvjWj2DPAEV419bLC5fhR3Ij7e7Ny4wsIiOzPXTUMx6aATJduzu9So41yYoegLBz_BMBYH39Lf53qgd6LsXog1FS_a5Rv-aMWALed8vTlWCV9g=w1605-h903-no

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Any MCM participants? Got my bib mailed to me and head down to DC on Saturday. Looks like it's going to be a rainy race.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Running Frankfurt next Sunday on my end, I've been able to train uninjured since early January and didn't miss a single day since my last vacations in early August and come off with a 830k/3 months block vs 590k/3 months for Tokyo in March earlier this year.
I had a stellar last long run yesterday, never went that fast while at "comfortable" pace, besides some odd sensations in the knees absolutely everything point towards a massive performance, by my standards at least, can't wait!

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Sounds good and good luck! I managed to follow an intermediate New York Road Runner's marathon training plan pretty closely. Couple of 20 milers I did felt good. Completed them while fueling during the runs using GUs. Hit a wall around mile 22 in my last couple of marathons in 2014, so I'm hoping I can avoid that this go around and set a new pb (or at least get under 3:30).

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Sounds good and good luck! I managed to follow an intermediate New York Road Runner's marathon training plan pretty closely. Couple of 20 milers I did felt good. Completed them while fueling during the runs using GUs. Hit a wall around mile 22 in my last couple of marathons in 2014, so I'm hoping I can avoid that this go around and set a new pb (or at least get under 3:30).

Avoiding that comes with experience usually, if you carbo load decently the days before, and fuel properly the whole race you should definitely be fine with that kind of training !

I never hit the wall myself for my 3 previous marathon before, worse thing that happened were negative splitting the first time (the bigger the negative split is the more you feel destroyed) and digestive problem the second time (I had to use all my mental strength to avoid stopping to take a shit, litterally).

Once you nailed your preparation, know what to eat and not to eat the days and morning leading up to the race, know how to fuel during and set a sensible target all that remains is execution and you're pretty much set for your race (bar unexpected stuff like weather, injury or sickness)

Oct 29, 2017
Halfway through my marathon schedule it's recommended to run a half marathon race. Would you actually race it as a half marathon or would you use it to practice running marathon pace for a long distance/period of time?

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Halfway through my marathon schedule it's recommended to run a half marathon race. Would you actually race it as a half marathon or would you use it to practice running marathon pace for a long distance/period of time?

Depends on what "halfway through marathon schedule" is, how you usually recover and what's your usual mileage.

A 20y old that has been running >80km/weeks for 2y can race a half marathon one Sunday and a full marathon two weeks later no problem
A 45y old preparing for his first marathon, only reaching 50k/w recently for the past few weeks ? Well he better have 6-8 weeks between the two if he wants to race both.

Tune-up races are great, but anything too close would be bad (1-2 maybe even 3 weeks) unless you've got crazy good recoveries skill