• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
hello 👋

I've started running again regularly and I'm feeling a slight annoyance on my left knee; some kind of pressure like if it were swollen or something. Only happens after I've run for a while and not every time I do it. I'm guess I need to improve my posture but I thought that maybe there is some kind of elastic band I could buy that'd ease the impact of stepping, like some kind of cushion.

I've tried to look for it online but honestly I'm not even sure what terms to google.
Have you increased your distance the past couple of weeks? Is the pain on the outside of your knee?
If so, I can almost guarantee that it's Iliotibial band syndrome.

Oct 29, 2017
6 weeks to Manchester Marathon and the physio has given me the all clear to crack on with my running. I've been able to run 8 miles on Saturday and 11 miles on the Sunday without issue so I'm going to start ramping up mileage a bit now. I'll only get a single 18 mile run in but given it's my first marathon and I've missed a good chunk of weeks through injury, I'd be happy to finish without hobbling over the line.

But as of right now, I'm feeling confident and really looking forward to it.

merzpup

Oct 11, 2019
Have you increased your distance the past couple of weeks? Is the pain on the outside of your knee?
If so, I can almost guarantee that it's Iliotibial band syndrome.

I've read a little about it and it definitely rings a bell. Let's see what I can gather from skimming over the internet, thank you.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Got into the NYC Marathon.

What have I done?
Congrats!

If i'm ever gonna 'get' into the NYC Marathon it's via one of these travel agency packages where it's like flight+hotel (4-5 nights)+marathon = €2000 per person 😫
(and that's definitely something on my bucket list, but like 10 years down the road - like maybe when the not-yet-existant kids are old enough to accompany me and cheer me on)

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
I didn't get in either. After a disastrous MCM last year I want to do another to see how well I could do on a good day. Considering the Philly Marathon (since I live there). But I like the thought of doing a marathon somewhere else and extending the trip into a vacation.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally picking running back up after a hiatus. If you all remember, I ran the San Fran Marathon last July and after I kind of lost a bit of drive. I've been doing some maintenance runs since but no serious plans or races and I've honestly lost my long run endurance completely (I normally am gassed after 4ish miles right now). I signed up for a 5k in two Sunday's and am debating about finding another marathon to train towards. I'm still in the exploratory phase right now but I'm hopefully going to find something by the end of March so I can put a plan together.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Awww, beans...

89774735_10158026246551878_2691664650172366848_o.jpg

(Vienna City Marathon canceled)

Oct 29, 2017
I'm fully expecting Manchester Marathon to be cancelled anytime now too. It's been a tough three months of training and I'm not looking forward to starting it up again if it's moved to September or October as has been suggested.

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, there are enough routes in my area where there is little interaction with other people. Still the dogs are a bigger issue.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't i?! Running outdoors is like, the most 'contact-less' kind of workout you can get.

I'm not mad the Marathon got canceled, though. Those 30km+ long runs do put quite a lot of strain on the body, and i wonder if that'd make me a bit more susceptible to a more severe case of COVID-19, compared to me just doing those regular, not-quite-that-exhausting runs.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Of course I'll run, more than ever even.
Got hit by the marathon being cancelled as well, was registered to Paris, had Rotterdam as a back-up plan and was closely following a dozen or so of others marathon across Europe but litterally everything got cancelled.

I was hoping to at least run a local half marathon (200-300 runners) near my town but even that will probably be cancelled now (government asked for everything that is 100+ to be cancelled)

I had a week-end vacation scheduled in Barcelona early-mid April, doesn't look like it will happen.
Now I was supposed to go in Canada in mid-May, apparently there's the Ottawa marathon there, it's probably a 0.1% chance, but if I can travel and it's not cancelled then I might try.

In any case running continues, I'll stay in my marathon program even as I finally reached the point where every difficult day feels rather smooth now.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Even when things were normal streets were mostly empty so in terms of population density I think it's pretty safe. Of course, relying on public fountains is risky now so I carry my own water.

Of course I'll run, more than ever even.
Got hit by the marathon being cancelled as well, was registered to Paris, had Rotterdam as a back-up plan and was closely following a dozen or so of others marathon across Europe but litterally everything got cancelled.

I was hoping to at least run a local half marathon (200-300 runners) near my town but even that will probably be cancelled now (government asked for everything that is 100+ to be cancelled)

I had a week-end vacation scheduled in Barcelona early-mid April, doesn't look like it will happen.
Now I was supposed to go in Canada in mid-May, apparently there's the Ottawa marathon there, it's probably a 0.1% chance, but if I can travel and it's not cancelled then I might try.

In any case running continues, I'll stay in my marathon program even as I finally reached the point where every difficult day feels rather smooth now.

Oh man, that's a shame. Whenever you end up coming hit me up and we can try to do a run together.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Running is a good way to keep / get healthy to fight off the virus anyway.
Shame to see lots of sporting cancellations but it's the right thing to do. Hopefully things like parkrun and other sport events don't dissolve

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
In case I need to isolate myself, what are the best forms of cardio I can do while inside my house? I do yoga and I'm trying to up my core exercises but it'll be frustrating to not be able to go outside. I do live near a park that's large and quiet in the early morning but I don't want to be selfish and accidently infect someone.

Other than that I was pleased my speed was improving a bit lately, hopefully I can keep it up. I'm worried about the lung damage and shit this bastard virus does and I want to make sure my body is ready to kill the utter shit out of it.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
In case I need to isolate myself, what are the best forms of cardio I can do while inside my house? I do yoga and I'm trying to up my core exercises but it'll be frustrating to not be able to go outside. I do live near a park that's large and quiet in the early morning but I don't want to be selfish and accidently infect someone.

Other than that I was pleased my speed was improving a bit lately, hopefully I can keep it up. I'm worried about the lung damage and shit this bastard virus does and I want to make sure my body is ready to kill the utter shit out of it.
If you run to the park you're unlikely to infect anyone surely. Just don't touch any surfaces.

I'm interested to know about good forms of cardio to do at home

Oct 29, 2017
I'm quite lucky in that I have Ring Fit Adventure for the Nintendo Switch and an Oculus Quest with some workout and boxing games. Both of those will keep me occupied at home.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Last year I had strained muscles in the back and couldnt run, now that I began training to participate in our local marathon, it will be cancelled.

I was never into running but I have good fitness. Can pull casually 10-12 kilometers fine in 70-80 minutes and I only did this a few times. Though except good running shoes I also use protective pads for my thigh and tendons and wear elastic shorts.

It probably helped that I do bicycle too and during summer I used to walk 5 hours in heat.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Oh man, that's a shame. Whenever you end up coming hit me up and we can try to do a run together.

Ahah thanks, I might end up coming at some point, couple of friends are now living there for the foreseeable future anyway, so the main reason of going there isn't goin to change.
Fully intended to put a run or two there as well, it sort of became a tradition to run wherever I go on vacation now as well (if the vacations are not dictated by the fact I'm running a race in the first place :p)

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
This is being passed around my office re: running in the era of COVID-19:

www.runnersworld.com

Yes, We Still Need to Be Talking About Running Safely During Due to the Coronavirus

Answers to your most frequently asked questions as the virus continues to spread.

Mind, my personal comfort level with races is that they're a no-go. Having a lot of people packed in at the starting line (or worse, a lot of people exhausted with their immune systems shot post-race waiting in line for swag / beer / food) seems like a bad idea.

I am getting back into running after a slow stretch in Jan/Feb. Did my usual 5mi loop today and oof, I'm slow. Guess I'll have plenty of time to get back on track though. Not much else to do over the coming weeks.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Just informed the folks in our 'running' WhatsApp group chat that i'll be running solo for the foreseeable future.

To think the cancellation of a marathon was the 'worst' of our worries just a few days ago. Shit's crazy y'all.

Like, the fact that i got the KICKR for my girlfriend (and, as it turns out, myself 😅 ) for indoor bike training in case we end up having curfews or actual quarantine ... what a blessing.

If anyone in this group isn't taking the whole COVID thing seriously. Please do so.

This is being passed around my office re: running in the era of COVID-19:

www.runnersworld.com

Yes, We Still Need to Be Talking About Running Safely During Due to the Coronavirus

Answers to your most frequently asked questions as the virus continues to spread.

Mind, my personal comfort level with races is that they're a no-go. Having a lot of people packed in at the starting line (or worse, a lot of people exhausted with their immune systems shot post-race waiting in line for swag / beer / food) seems like a bad idea.

I am getting back into running after a slow stretch in Jan/Feb. Did my usual 5mi loop today and oof, I'm slow. Guess I'll have plenty of time to get back on track though. Not much else to do over the coming weeks.

now here's some grade-A shit advice
Your exposure to sick people in that situation should be minimal, as someone who has a fever and a cough won't feel like going for a run, Labus says. When in a group, you could protect yourself a bit by spreading out and avoiding unnecessary hand-touching. And of course, don't forget to wash your hands when you get back.

Up to two weeks before actually feeling sick you could already be having and SPREADING the virus.
Also, you might be entirely asymptomatic.
FEELING SICK / showing Symptoms is not a requirement for carrying (and spreading) the virus.

Avoid. Unncessary. Social. Contact.

If you wanna run, run; But nobody needs to be running alongside other people right now.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, like I said, I don't agree with them re: race running. Seems like most race directors are in the same boat as most everything is cancelled or postponed.

Hell, I found myself giving everyone on the path with me a wide berth when I went running today. Hope nobody took offense.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like I said, I don't agree with them re: race running. Seems like most race directors are in the same boat as most everything is cancelled or postponed.

Hell, I found myself giving everyone on the path with me a wide berth when I went running today. Hope nobody took offense.

It's not about race running, the red part basically states "if someone's fit to run with you, there's nothing to worry about because they're not sick" which is grossly inaccurate, counterproductive and harmful to the whole idea of social distancing.

The fact that this is hosted on runnersworld is a disgrace.

And, trust me, nobody's giving anyone who's looking out for little to no contact / more personal space / additional hygiene the side-eye anymore. I think we're way beyond that point.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
Guys, I just stumbled upon this thread by luck. Speaking of NYC running, how do you guys do it? There's a light/crosswalk every corner. When I was in a different state I'd be able to run (I was just starting to run) in my neighborhood uninterrupted. But now working in NY, it seems impossible.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, I just stumbled upon this thread by luck. Speaking of NYC running, how do you guys do it? There's a light/crosswalk every corner. When I was in a different state I'd be able to run (I was just starting to run) in my neighborhood uninterrupted. But now working in NY, it seems impossible.
I think folks mostly get themselves to a park or run by the water. When I was in NYC last weekend I ran at Fort Tryon Park, which was nice (if very hilly - don't be me, turn around before you've run all the way down or you will have a long slog back up).

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, you need to get to the waterside or central park. Where do you live? You should be able to pick up Riverside Park, the path along the Hudson, or East River park for some uninterrupted time. Central Park is one of my favorite places to run - 6 miles per loop and very scenic.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looks like they canceled the half-marathon I was going to enter.

I'm still going to train as though it's still happening, made too much progress to ease up.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

Mass cancellations of races all over the globe due to COVID-19 have left the running world in a stand still. Runners who have trained for races of all distances have been left wondering what to do with their hard-earned fitness.

With that in mind, we are launching the Rambling Runner Virtual Race Series.

The series will include virtual races of 5k, 10k, half-marathon, and marathon distances spread over eight weeks. These virtual races are free and open to everyone. Yes, even you! All you need is a Strava account (free) and a device that can track your run (gps watch, phone, etc).

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017

Mass cancellations of races all over the globe due to COVID-19 have left the running world in a stand still. Runners who have trained for races of all distances have been left wondering what to do with their hard-earned fitness.

With that in mind, we are launching the Rambling Runner Virtual Race Series.

The series will include virtual races of 5k, 10k, half-marathon, and marathon distances spread over eight weeks. These virtual races are free and open to everyone. Yes, even you! All you need is a Strava account (free) and a device that can track your run (gps watch, phone, etc).
Love it.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
How I wish I could go outside for a run :(

One week and a half left of confinement but I get the feeling it's going to be extended at least a week more. Will have to buy a treadmill next week if things haven't improved.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
I've noticed a lot more runners on my runs which is great. I'm guessing people are trying to get out and fit whilst all this Corona is going on!

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have recommendations about running socks that are comfy and not too expensive?

I have some moremile ones but they're a bit basic. My Hilly twinskins are great but so expensive!

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone have recommendations about running socks that are comfy and not too expensive?

I have some moremile ones but they're a bit basic. My Hilly twinskins are great but so expensive!

Balega's are my favourite socks. They're not cheap unfortunately but they're so much more comfortable than the More Mile's and the Twinskin's.

I also bought a three-pack of running socks from Adidas to spend enough for free shipping and funnily enough they're super comfortable too.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Balega's are my favourite socks. They're not cheap unfortunately but they're so much more comfortable than the More Mile's and the Twinskin's.

I also bought a three-pack of running socks from Adidas to spend enough for free shipping and funnily enough they're super comfortable too.
I've ordered a few pairs from MandMDirect to see if they're any good.
I really like the twin skins and find them really comfy just a shame they're relatively expensive. Funny in happy to drop like 80-150 on a new pair of trainers but feel like skimping on socks.

Oct 29, 2017
I've ordered a few pairs from MandMDirect to see if they're any good.
I really like the twin skins and find them really comfy just a shame they're relatively expensive. Funny in happy to drop like 80-150 on a new pair of trainers but feel like skimping on socks.

I used Christmas to get a lot of socks. Put them on my Amazon wishlist and that was me sorted from family members 😁

But yeah, Balega's are so nice and they make a pretty big difference. The cushioning is superb.