• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The only good AS season is season 2 and I think we can all agree on that. It's just too much goopery 4 me.

That said all the finale looks were great and overall the whole season was fun. Just too much producer meddling.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only good AS season is season 2 and I think we can all agree on that. It's just too much goopery 4 me.

That said all the finale looks were great and overall the whole season was fun. Just too much producer meddling.
Even AS2 was a mess. Seeing Roxxxxxxxxxy dragged along week after week was depressing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

AS2 was set up to make sure Alaska made the finale by stuffing the season with her friends lol

It's not an accident that AS3/4 ran into major issues without that structure.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Even AS2 was a mess. Seeing Roxxxxxxxxxy dragged along week after week was depressing.

She was just here to make it clear that this is Rupauls best friends' race and nothing actually matters.

I wanna add that I really think despite Trinity having more wins all 4 of the girls in the finale were winners in their own rights.

I will stan Naomi forever after eliminating Manila.
I was #TeamMonique all the way from season 10, and seeing her just rip through AS4 was so gratifying.
I liked Monet in Season 10 and while I feel like she could have performed better in general, there's no denying she is fierce. I just wish we could hav eseen more classic Monet lipsyncs. She turned that shit out tho in the finale. That wig reveal!
I really can't stand Trinity, but I cannot deny her charisma uniqueness nerve and talent. She turned it out, and the teacup dress was great.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I wanna add that I really think despite Trinity having more wins all 4 of the girls in the finale were winners in their own rights.

Tbh the finale was Monét's episode. If you consider the challenge+lipsync as a win for her, she ends up with a tie with Trinity. And this is why I agree with the double-crowning.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I think the AS2 worked because there was a larger pool of queens to choose from who a) hadn't been in the spotlight for a while, or b) were truly the top queens to come out of Drag Race.

Alaska, Katya, Detox, Alyssa Edwards, Phi Phi O'Hara (the greatest villain of the series, hate her or hate her), even Tatiana was a pleasant surprise. There was just very little the show could do to not make that cast entertaining. Hell, even Roxxxy, it's fun to hate on her but I'd say she's an above-average queen in literally any other lineup.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think the AS2 worked because there was a larger pool of queens to choose from who a) hadn't been in the spotlight for a while, or b) were truly the top queens to come out of Drag Race.

Alaska, Katya, Detox, Alyssa Edwards, Phi Phi O'Hara (the greatest villain of the series, hate her or hate her), even Tatiana was a pleasant surprise. There was just very little the show could do to not make that cast entertaining. Hell, even Roxxxy, it's fun to hate on her but I'd say she's an above-average queen in literally any other lineup.
We've definately seen most of the "top-tier" queens on AS already. This season we saw several queens who were there because of memes or whatever. How many more seasons until we get Penny Tration lipsyncing against Alisa Summers?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Trash.
Seriously, this double crowning thing will open up Pandora's box in all the future regular and AS seasons, regardless of what anyone thought about this particular season finale. I can only hope that the fan's reaction makes them stay away from ever trying to do this in the future. Someone actually tweeted at Trinity hours before the finale that they hope it's a tie and she replied with "no thnx" lol..you can see in that reaction video they both were lowkey unhappy with the result. I think the idea of 2 winners can work in some competiton shows like a cooking show but not with DR.

Personally, I don't see Monet as deserving to win. If AS is truly about growth and stepping ur pussy up then Monique is the frontrunner, considering how fresh (with a low ranking) she was, she surprised me with how good she was personality-wise and the looks and lipsyncs she pulled this season.

Naomi was definitely memorable this season with all the memes and lipsyncs and that finale look. She aced both makeover and snatch game challenges and was the actual "winner" of the Lalaparuza episode. I think there definitely was growth from her season where most of her looks were bikinis and personality that was outshined by others.

I will say that Trinity didn't deserve 4 wins. Did she did turn it this season? Sure, but there wasn't this obvious "growth" from her season.

Monet is the weakest of those four, sorry. She had like two great looks but that's about it. Her wins were questionable and again, compared to Monique there wasn't that gag-worthy of a growth from her season.

P.S. the super queen music number is grades below the last two AS's.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
All stars 2 felt truly All Stars. It waited a few years to see which queens made a bigger splash and hand-picked the very best. It felt elevated, and each episode I remember thinking they were all amazing. When Read U Wrote U came along it was the peak drag moment.

The new All Stars 3 had good queens (not as ridiculously good), but the format of elimination started to grate, starting with Ben giving up on the thing after outshining everyone. Ben is the true winner of the season, and actually I think he quit as he realised what the format does to the show in general.

AS4 again could have been great, but the writing felt rushed, the edit felt forced with manufactured storylines, Manila who brought the quality every episode got eliminated, and the queens who were left while talented just didn't have enough strength to stand-out.

I wish AS5 only came in two years, giving everyone a bigger chance of growth and allowing the selection pool to be truly filtered down again.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the double crowning would've been more believable if it wasn't so last minute and they had edited the season accordingly. Trinity was pushed as the frontrunner since the first episode while Monet got a season's worth of the frontrunner edit in the finale. You could tell they didn't have a double crowning in mind until later (which explains why one was never filmed).

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
But that's never been the format for a season that ends without a lip sync tournament. Every regular season pre-S9 and every all-stars season they lip sync'd at the very end and it meant jack.

Like, did you only start watching the show with VH1?

Naw. I'm very well aware of the format.

This should have been Monet's win.

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
Well I didn't expect the RPDG producers to be using my random posts as finale fodder. But I can't really be anything but happy for my two favorites in the final four both getting 100k. Better than the negative twists from AS3.

Sounds like if we want good drama DR Thailand is where it's at right now.

Is it on wow presents already?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been able to bring myself to actually watching the episode since I was spoiled on it last night.

Did they just awkwardly edit footage of the filmed individual crownings together to make this happen? If so, what a mess from the producers side.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, what a dumb outcome. They should have given it to Trinity and ended this flop of a season with just a hint of integrity. I wonder if Ru thought it would have been a bad look to hand the award to the only white queen in the top 4. Monet was good but not All Stars good.

So Manila's elimination was all for nothing. Sweet. I guarantee she would have been top 2 if not for Naomi's sabotage.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am amazed at how difficult it is to make an All Stars season that isn't a mess.

Sousourocket

Oct 26, 2017
A Monet solo win could have salvaged this season even after all the fuckery, but here we are. Can't have an Allstars finale without some bullshit.

Loved Trinity's teacup dress tho, that was a great look.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I would have preferred solo Monet or Monet+Monique, but this is okay too. I'm just glad it wasn't a solo Trinity win, which is the obvious (and boring) choice.

The double win was kind of dumb, but the competitive aspect of Rupaul's Drag Race has always been kind of dumb. There are plenty of queens who have been "robbed" because of bad luck / shady decisions / another competitor being slightly fiercer, and that's never a good feeling either. So I guess they were just trying to minimize that this time by having the double win (though obviously it rings hollow because of Manila's elimination).

On another note, all of those final gowns were beautiful. And Ross' fat elbow comment had me howling.

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I think Monique had the worst look of the night for the Super Queen video, it didn't serve super hero at all. Hell, it didn't really serve super villain or... anything really. It was bad.

Her best drag was good, though still below Naomi and Trinity.

Sousourocket

Oct 26, 2017
I think Monique had the worst look of the night for the Super Queen video, it didn't serve super hero at all. Hell, it didn't really serve super villain or... anything really. It was bad.

Her best drag was good, though still below Naomi and Trinity.

I thought she was giving Okoye! I liked it, honestly. I feel bad that I thought Monique's was not as good for the video. Her wig seemed a bit tired.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Which video did y'all like better, Kitty Girl or Super Queen? Kitty Girl for me, mainly for Shangela and Trixie. And it's also a catchier song imo

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really been a big fan of the, star in a music video challenges they do for the final episodes, but apart from that, I thought the whole thing was fine. I'm not too fussed about the double win, but it does make me wonder if we'll see that again in future seasons.

I just want the UK version to hurry up and start now, that's what I'm most excited for at the moment.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Super Queen isn't catchy enough, and the production I felt was lacking. I prefer the runway/backstage setting of Read U Wrote U and Kitty Girl, over the large space area of American and this new one, because it feels soulless.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I looked it up, there's only a 2 bpm difference between Super Queen(123) and Kitty Girl(125)... I really thought in my head that Kitty Girl was a lot faster, but I guess the beat in the background really "speeds" it up.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I find Aquaria a bit boring to watch though, and there's no humour between the two (that lands at least), so Raja's look efforts don't really make it up for me unfortunately.

Also, I like that Raven will boot anyone because she doesn't care. You can tell Raja and Aquaria didn't want to boot Latrice's lewks even though she deserved it a lot of the times so they don't get hate from her fans.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I looked it up, there's only a 2 bpm difference between Super Queen(123) and Kitty Girl(125)... I really thought in my head that Kitty Girl was a lot faster, but I guess the beat in the background really "speeds" it up.

You're talking about the actual track Super Queen as opposed to the mega slowed down version used for the AS4 finale vid, yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.