• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for delay, between in-laws arriving, and having to get on a plane to Japan, it was too hectic yesterday. You can read the reddit thread for actual end spoilers, I'll more share my experience of the taping process.

We got to the Orpheum a bit early, so we walked around back to get coffee. They had the parking lot behind the theater fenced off for food for the cast and crew, as well as some extra dressing room trailers. We saw Ross and Carson chowing down outside. This is also where they had a line of fancy looking LA types, who later seemed to be used to fill in the front seats when the queens weren't sitting there.

However, the general admission line got super long and wrapped around the whole block, so taping didn't even start until 6:20 pm or so. The inside of the theater is gorgeous btw, and seems familiar, perhaps I went to an E3 event here before. We were towards the back next to an aisle, so I doubt we'll have any camera reaction closeups. But I did get a good look at the dancers and Love Connie when they entered several times, which was fun.

Love Connie was there as the audience warmup person, and gave some high energy stage performances. Lots of fun, and gave the producer lady some sass. They walked us through the whole gamut of reactions for sound recording to edit in. That's why I was very hoarse by the next day, too many standing ovations and cheers and shady oooh girls.

The queens from previous seasons did their big entrance number first to Christine singing, and it was an interesting assortment of looks, that they all posted (we had to keep phones off, but they were constantly snapping selfies etc). Many of them ended up going out and changing into other outfits throughout the night. Raja got tons of cheers walking the floor and stage. I did manage to give Morgan a hug since she's one of my local faves.

As someone who has soured on Silky over the season, I still felt bad at the lack of crowd support for her compared to the other girls. Brooke and Yvie got the most cheering, and they actually looked emotional for the name chanting. I'll be curious to see how much of the spontaneous crowd reaction gets used though.

Ru looked great at a distance, closer up you could certainly see that she's no longer a spring chicken. Her dress was being a pain in the butt sometimes for standing at the mark without getting stuck or wrinkly. She was cracking age jokes too when getting helped off the stage to the judging chair.

Monique was being hilarious over on the side of the seats, chatting up the crew and audience. It's too bad they weren't filming her for some finale talking heads. Eureka and Kennedy got to be stand in lipsynchers towards the end of the night, and we got moved up to the front to fill in so that was really exciting. They ended up recording extra crowd reactions to all of the songs used. Michelle did read Kennedy for wearing sparkly flats to dance in. Eureka actually turned it out, even though it wasn't a real lip sync. :)

Ru flubbing TelePrompter lines and recording weird p

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for delay, between in-laws arriving, and having to get on a plane to Japan, it was too hectic yesterday. You can read the reddit thread for actual end spoilers, I'll more share my experience of the taping process.

We got to the Orpheum a bit early, so we walked around back to get coffee. They had the parking lot behind the theater fenced off for food for the cast and crew, as well as some extra dressing room trailers. We saw Ross and Carson chowing down outside. This is also where they had a line of fancy looking LA types, who later seemed to be used to fill in the front seats when the queens weren't sitting there.

However, the general admission line got super long and wrapped around the whole block, so taping didn't even start until 6:20 pm or so. The inside of the theater is gorgeous btw, and seems familiar, perhaps I went to an E3 event here before. We were towards the back next to an aisle, so I doubt we'll have any camera reaction closeups. But I did get a good look at the dancers and Love Connie when they entered several times, which was fun.

Love Connie was there as the audience warmup person, and gave some high energy stage performances. Lots of fun, and gave the producer lady some sass. They walked us through the whole gamut of reactions for sound recording to edit in. That's why I was very hoarse by the next day, too many standing ovations and cheers and shady oooh girls.

The queens from previous seasons did their big entrance number first to Christine singing, and it was an interesting assortment of looks, that they all posted (we had to keep phones off, but they were constantly snapping selfies etc). Many of them ended up going out and changing into other outfits throughout the night. Raja got tons of cheers walking the floor and stage. I did manage to give Morgan a hug since she's one of my local faves.

As someone who has soured on Silky over the season, I still felt bad at the lack of crowd support for her compared to the other girls. Brooke and Yvie got the most cheering, and they actually looked emotional for the name chanting. I'll be curious to see how much of the spontaneous crowd reaction gets used though.

Ru looked great at a distance, closer up you could certainly see that she's no longer a spring chicken. Her dress was being a pain in the butt sometimes for standing at the mark without getting stuck or wrinkly. She was cracking age jokes too when getting helped off the stage to the judging chair.

Monique was being hilarious over on the side of the seats, chatting up the crew and audience. It's too bad they weren't filming her for some finale talking heads. Eureka and Kennedy got to be stand in lipsynchers towards the end of the night, and we got moved up to the front to fill in so that was really exciting. They ended up recording extra crowd reactions to all of the songs used. Michelle did read Kennedy for wearing sparkly flats to dance in. Eureka actually turned it out, even though it wasn't a real lip sync. :)

Ru flubbing TelePrompter lines and recording weird p

What was Aquaria's outfit like?

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
k4gwhyiffiy21.png

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I actually know Bob personally and have hung out with him before he got on Drag Race. I have actually been to his apartment before in Harlem, and let me tell you, he respects and love drag 10000%. He is also a generally nice, witty person as he is on the show. The same thing you see on TV is the same Bob you will meet in real life.
That's cool to hear.

I forgot to mention how much I hated all that wig drama shit, Ariel could have easily just walked in there and said "can I have my wigs back please?" and that would be that, but I suppose they live for the screen time/drama.
Being socially inept for the cameras makes for such compelling TV, don't you think?

Almost as exciting as a watching a flop's plot armor allow her to cruise through one of the worst lip syncs of all time. Here's to failing upward, Silkie.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's less that and more them trying to stack the top 4 with a line-up that would make for "good" TV finale. Silky wouldn't win even if you pretend all the off-show shit (allegations, unprofessionalism, etc.) Didn't happen, but they need drama to go all the way, even though Nina actually has a chance of winning had she stayed. Silky has been obviously given an unflattering edit (and deservingly so), and they want to drag her feud with Yvie to the finale, this season barely had any worthy drama after all. And to be fair, Nina too has been saved from the bottom 2 quite a lot through the season.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only just jumped back into drag race in season 9 so, for all of you that have been watching the entire time:

Has there been any other season, all stars or otherwise, that has had so many decisions piss off so many people? Everywhere I look, everyone I talk to, seems to have a lot of bad to say about this season's happenings.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I only just jumped back into drag race in season 9 so, for all of you that have been watching the entire time:

Has there been any other season, all stars or otherwise, that has had so many decisions piss off so many people? Everywhere I look, everyone I talk to, seems to have a lot of bad to say about this season's happenings.

All Stars 3 and 4 were pretty bad.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there was a win for this kind of challenge I would've given Yvie it, her verse and performance was great and her runway was my favorite.

I'm #TeamYvie and #TeamBrooke.

discogs

Oct 28, 2017
London
I feel the only way the All Stars elimination formula works is if you have all the queens being completely cordial and voting off the worst contestant - otherwise it's just crappy.

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
Right person went home but I think they put Brooke in the bottom purely for the drama
That and the fact vanjie would have sent silky packing if they were up against each other

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Vanjie was a really basic peformer across pretty much every challenge this season. She'd be considered filler if it wasn't for her entertaining talking heads or downtime conversations.

I hope Yvie wins just so I won't have to see her again in All Stars.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
All Stars 2 was just as bad, but as it was Alaska winning people didn't mind as she was so popular. Entire thing was rigged from start to finish to give her the win, and the elimination method they used was such garbage and so unfair.

In their own way, all of the All Stars were garbage except for thr personal dynamic among the queens.

AS1 was set up for Chad to win just like AS2 was set up for Alaska to win. I don't think the producers were expected Katya to be so popular since she was just coming off filming of her season, though. Detox or Katya both would have been deserving winners.

Dela should have won, and Shangie was robbed.

Manila should have also won, but Monique actually played the game properly.

Either way, I'm team Yvie, though I know Brooke is winning and have felt that way since the MtQ video were released.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought if they decided they wanted to keep Vanjie against all odds until Top 5 they'd of at least let her into the Top 4.
Her exit was hilarious though, I love her but I just wish she did better this season.

I'm not enamoured by the Top 4, hopefully Brooke or Yvie wins but I'd be happy with Akeria winning.

Dec 4, 2017
London
Yvie completely killed that challenge, a real standout this week.

Otherwise I'm a little confused how A'keria has gotten so far. She's mostly forgettable I find and I thought she probably should have been in the bottom two this week. I found Vanje's routine much more comepelling to watch, lip-sync issues aside for instance. Akeria's was as flat as Brooke's, but less polished.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

Otherwise I'm a little confused how A'keria has gotten so far. She's mostly forgettable I find and I thought she probably should have been in the bottom two this week. I found Vanje's routine much more comepelling to watch, lip-sync issues aside for instance. Akeria's was as flat as Brooke's, but less polished.

Vanjie was completely dead in the eyes. She wasn't there herself, clearly.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Yvie was giving me Voldo from Soul Calibur realness in that challenge. Far and away the best of the night.

I called Brooke vs Vanjie early on in the episode since they kept harping on the branjie storyline. Here for a Brooke vs Yvie rematch in the finals.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
That was a decent episode but probably the worst song since this song challenge started. Not the fault of the queens, it's just a terrible track. But I was happy Yvie managed to come back to the too - she is my pick for winner. Brooke I just don't enjoy watching, she knows how to move her body but that is really it.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017

I agree that Akeria was forgettable, but so was everyone else this season tbh. But at least she makes her own shit and it doesn't look cheap, boring sure but can't deny that there's talent there, plus she totally nailed that improv challenge. Plastique on the other hand for example had no business staying beyond the first couple episodes; textbook definition of resting on pretty.

The entire runway this week was meh, but gotta admit that Yvie was the better performer. Also, it seems that Yvie got the most support on social media. If I had to guess I'd say the scales tipped in favour of Yvie now.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

Ya'll gotta watch Miss Shuga drunk spilling all the tea henny

The best line is when she says something akin to "Mama Ru is directing all the questions to Nina because she already forgot who I was" dead

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
er.. is it just me or did Vanjie actually win that lip-synch?

I mean, not that it matters, I know by now Ru sends home whoever she wants regardless of performance but I think Brooke looked stupid in that tutu and walking on point like an idiot to a song that has nothing to do with that.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Brooke Lyn won. Vanjie's got a problem when it comes to serving face during her performances, she can't seem to emote at all or even change her expression. Like her no drama performance was good because of what she was doing with her body, her face game was 0 (whereas Shuga started at 10000 and stayed there the entire time).

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've been team Brook for the past few weeks, but dang Yvie was good this week, now I'm torn for who I think should be the winner.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how this season, just like AS4, was chock full of non-white queens to start with and just like AS4 is ending with three black queens and one white queen who is leading score-wise.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Brooke Lyn won. Vanjie's got a problem when it comes to serving face during her performances, she can't seem to emote at all or even change her expression. Like her no drama performance was good because of what she was doing with her body, her face game was 0 (whereas Shuga started at 10000 and stayed there the entire time).

See, I thought Shuga was serving 5th grade Drama Club a bit with those facial expressions.

Vanjie seemingly has a tendency to be very intense during her lipsyncs, which I thought worked great for No Drama.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Weird how this season, just like AS4, was chock full of non-white queens to start with and just like AS4 is ending with three black queens and one white queen who is leading score-wise.
Regardless of optics, Brooke outperformed the majority of queens, and even rose to challenges in areas they were weaker in earlier in the season.

The competition was Brooke vs. Yvie for a long time in this season.

Last edited:

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Yvie absolutely killed it in that challenge by far the best performance in Queens Everywhere. Is Yvie the first Black Queen to lead a fan vote on social media.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I thought Vanjie was kind of sloppy in the lipsync, but Brooke was also too prim for me - reminded me of Sarah Davenport with that Martha Wash song, it was a similar song too iirc, 90s House Diva moment. They wanted that storyline lipsync, so Brooke wins the lipsync and they can get another season of Vanjie talking heads on AS, which is really her strongest suit any way.

Brooke was a bit stiff in the challenge but I thought Akeria was too. Brooke's runway was in her wheelhouse and nothing exciting (also hated the wig), and again you could say exactly the same for Akeria, it was nice but she's looked more stunning on previous runways. Silky got a pass for being Silky and Yvie looks like she's their favourite to win at that point. I'd be happy with an Yvie win.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I kinda feel that Yvie is really the only one who has evolved/improved personality and charisma-wise since the start of the season. I feel like Brooklyn is probably going to win, but I prefer the left-of-centre queens like her and Sharon Needles.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love a Brooke, it's a shame another skinny white queen is going to win.

Yvie deserves this win, also.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yvie has the least wins this season, so I'd like to see her win and show fans how meaningless track records can be.