• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Also I've grown to dislike the musical performances too. The shitty Kardashian one and then the Trump one - why? Also the airline and pharmaceutical ones were equally shit.

Yeah I hope the snatch game is good. The Vivienne must do Kim Woodburn!

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only Baga and Davina came out of the acting challenge with any credit at all. Everything else (in front of and behind the camera) was terrible.

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
The acting challenges have always been a bit strange to me because it rarely comes down to raw acting talent. To win it seems you just have to either pull off a funny, memorable facial expression or one comical line, and the bottom two people are usually the couple who forget their dialogue.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I've been trying to think of plausible people for them to play for Snatch Game that wouldn't really appear on the American one. And now I'm hoping someone can do a Claudia Winkleman.

We might see a few soap characters like Kat from Eastenders ('I became a total slag') or Dot Cotton or something. I can see the older queens opting for that.

The younger queens I'm not so sure, they might be more likely to opt for a more typical celebrity and not do so well.

Maybe Katie Price or Victoria Beckham, or other spice girls are obvious choices too.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
UK drag is extremely different to American drag. I know I've said this before, but the entire pageant / fishy drag doesn't really exist over here in the same way. There's a reason why all the look queens on the show are so young - because that style of drag has only really started to appear since Drag Race started airing.

Drag in the UK is generally either comedy or lip sync acts, and the lip syncs are focussed on humour / matching the vocals not the dance moves.
This makes. Thank you for the context. I had a feeling the culture is different and needed a confirmation. This will help me process the season better.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK drag is extremely different to American drag. I know I've said this before, but the entire pageant / fishy drag doesn't really exist over here in the same way. There's a reason why all the look queens on the show are so young - because that style of drag has only really started to appear since Drag Race started airing.

Drag in the UK is generally either comedy or lip sync acts, and the lip syncs are focussed on humour / matching the vocals not the dance moves.
This is why I consider Baga the frontrunner right now over Viv, because she encapsulates that to a T.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Another thing that stands out to me is how some queens are somewhat butch/manly out of drag.

When I watch Vinegar, STW and Crystal on the confessionals, I am like "these dudes aren't as feminine and ladylike like most US queens"

Vinegar in particular, when talking to Scaredy on both episodes, looked like a guy from the production crew that works behind cameras but stepped in to ask Scaredy some questions out of curiosity, not like a fellow queen. Even on drag Vinegar looks like a clueless, straight, Saturday Night Live comedian that was asked to put on woman's clothes.

Not that any of this puts me off, I just think it's interesting

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Vinegar Strokes is
Another thing that stands out to me is how some queens are somewhat butch/manly out of drag.

When I watch Vinegar, STW and Crystal on the confessionals, I am like "these dudes aren't as feminine and ladylike like most US queens"

Vinegar in particular, when talking to Scaredy on both episodes, looked like a guy from the production crew that works behind cameras but stepped in to ask Scaredy some questions out of curiosity, not like a fellow queen. Even on drag Vinegar looks like a clueless, straight, Saturday Night Live comedian that was asked to put on woman's clothes.
I couldn't agree more about VS. There's something really unimaginative and tired about her. She needs to wear it like she owns it. I'm Team Sum Ting Wong (and Baga)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
More cluelessness from Raja and Raven - the first 2 looks epecially The Vivienne are referencing Grace Jones obviously and the judges got that on the show. Crystal they saw Grace Jones in but not The Vivienne? Okay.

This FPR reminded me how shockingly bad Vinegar looked on this challenge, so bad and not even remotely Bond girl. I actually quite liked Scaredy's look - her performance didn't sell it at. all, but the ski theme was very Bond. A soft toot from me for the idea at least.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
This runway read to me like a last minute production change, that the girls had to somehow fit in with the outfits they brought. None of the looks looked like bond girls, so I think they just had to make due, some more successful than others.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know I am late, but dang those Downton Draggy skits were rough. Those seem difficult to pull off.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Cheryl Hole really needs to stop doing Alyssa's tongue pop thing.

Me every time she tongue pops
tumblr_niw83mTrsK1r1ult6o1_500.gif

unsurprised and I found the episode better than ep2, loved Divina and Vivienne's look.

Bagas look looked fucking painful to wear lol. Also I was quite surprised she wasn't bottom 3 (shouldn't have been 2) but generally thought she'd have been on the bottom as it didn't look.... great. Or we'll put together. That ass.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Much better episode! it was fun all the way through, it does feel like they are competing.

Blu was robbed this week, she should've been top 3 together with Divina and Crystal, Vivienne's outfit was meh at best, way too one-note. Seeing more of everyone's personalities, I am Team Blu, the other queens feels too overconfident and/or just not very likeable. Other than this and the elimination, I wholly agree with the judges' placements.

.- Bagga is giving me strong Manila vibes without being as charming and/or as polished.

.- I think Vinegar was slightly better than STW on all 3 challenges (Mini , Maxi, LS). I actually was surprised with V's runway, I expected much worse, at least there was a concept to it and while not fully put together, it had a bit of a fashion sense to it, STW's was shit through and through. I would have sent STW home.

.- UK S1 queens are shaddier than I thought, which makes it more fun to watch.

.- next week Snatch Game! :O I want to see that.

Last edited:

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Enjoyed this episode quite a lot. Some interesting fashion, plots kicking in and it starts to feel like a good season should feel. Excited for Snatch Game now!

Dec 4, 2017
London
Feels like it's hitting it's stride now. That was a much better episode than the last two.

The Vivienne should not have been top three though. Excellent make-up as always but the dress was so unimaginative compared to Crystal's or Davina's who really shone this week. And actually I'd have put Blu's up above it too.

Baga is really starting to grate. She could get away with all the gurning if she was actually witty, but every attempt at a joke is her calling herself a slag or something similar. It's lazy and frankly boring.

I'm becoming wierdly fond of Cheryl for some reason. I think it's the goofy smile and the saucy winks she keeps doing. It's one-note but somehow it's working on me :o

Anyway, I'm continuing to root for Blu. Her inexperience shows through quite often but she has the right base level mix of creativity, competency and weirdness to be interesting. With time and hard work I think she could actually be an incredible queen.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blu was clown realness this week. She was definitely #4 and I was actually surprised Baga wasn't B3 here cause she was basically cosplaying a wire sponge.

LipSync winner nailed the performance- it was totally appropriate for the type of song it was.

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still team Divina at the moment, but I like Crystal as well. He seems like somebody I'd like to be friends with in real life.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
No idea why Baga wasn't in the bottom this week. I understand they wanted to keep her for Snatch Game but her look was atrocious.

Sad to see Vinegar leaving, but it was pretty obvious when she ended up in the Bottom. Rooting for DDC/Crystal/Blu right now.

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
I thought baga's look was ok until she turned around and i saw that gap
Hideous, blessed to not be in the bottom three

Glad Sum Ting survived, I really like her
DDC and Crystal both looked sick this week

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, after these first 3 weeks, the entrance room order reads like a TV series, with the stars up front with a "And ________" at the end. Probably not a coincidence.

Baga
Blu
DDC
Crystal
STW
Cheryl
Gothy
Vinegar
Scaredy
Viv

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
we need to talk about Blu's glorious read, "Ball gowns have been done to death!"

I am glad Crystal commented on it because damn, that was some heavy shade thrown at Ru.

Even when Ru said "oh, I've done everything" and Blu was smart enough to say "yeah ,sure", I think she could have responded back with "no, girl, you've been putting on your basic as fuck make-up and wearing Ball gowns day after day for the last 30 years, boring".... and the funniest part? no lies would be detected!! :O

I hope Blu doesn't turn as confrontational like Willam, Pearl and the likes but yeah I think Blu's episodes are counted, Ru doesn't like it when contestants read her.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
I don't understand any of the praise for Blu's outfit at all. A garish, cheap, clown-like jumble. Davina and Crystal were miles ahead of everyone else this week.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope Blu doesn't turn as confrontational like Willam, Pearl and the likes but yeah I think Blu's episodes are counted, Ru doesn't like it when contestants read her.

Doubtful, her ball gown read came across as so ditsy she didn't even realise she was reading Ru lmao. That's the impression I got from her personality and body language anyway.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The bottom pair this week where such a fucking mess, genuinely one of the worst looks and performances I've seen from this show as a pair. I would have sent them both home as neither have a chance and saved one of the better queens later on in the season. Vinegar has an amazing personality though, just a shame she couldn't put that into her outfits.

The standard in general is very high though, the top 4 is 100% going to be The Vivienne, Crystal, Baga and Divina.

I love how The Vivienne gave out some truth this episode, she's absolutely right there there's zero excuse for not being able to sew if you're going on the show.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
To me making the costumes would be a big part of it I think. The make-up and costume is all part of the message/idea I'd be trying to convey. I can't sing and I'm past my dancing days too so the look would be everything for me!

Dec 4, 2017
London
The bottom pair this week where such a fucking mess, genuinely one of the worst looks and performances I've seen from this show as a pair. I would have sent them both home as neither have a chance and saved one of the better queens later on in the season. Vinegar has an amazing personality though, just a shame she couldn't put that into her outfits.

The standard in general is very high though, the top 4 is 100% going to be The Vivienne, Crystal, Baga and Divina.

I love how The Vivienne gave out some truth this episode, she's absolutely right there there's zero excuse for not being able to sew if you're going on the show.

When was the last time they had a proper sewing challenge on the US show though? They seem to have dropped them and the queens just seem to arrive with a bunch of expensive pre-made outfits. If you were taking that as precedent I'd say you could be forgiven for thinking the UK show wouldn't be that big on actual sewing either.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time they had a proper sewing challenge on the US show though? They seem to have dropped them and the queens just seem to arrive with a bunch of expensive pre-made outfits. If you were taking that as precedent I'd say you could be forgiven for thinking the UK show wouldn't be that big on actual sewing either.
There's always 1-2 a season.