• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.pcgamer.com/man-dies-in-..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

http://www.ibtimes.com/virtual-reality-accident-kills-russian-man-wandering-headset-2632306
A 44-year-old Moscow resident died after falling through a glass table while wearing a virtual reality headset, reports Russian news agency TASS

"According to preliminary information, while moving around the apartment in virtual reality glasses, the man tripped and crashed into a glass table, suffered wounds and died on the spot from a loss of blood," said Yulia Ivanova, Senior Assistant to the Head of the Russian Investigative Committee's Main Moscow Department, according to TASS. The report does not include details about the type of VR headset the man was using, or what he was using it for.

This is the first report of a VR-related death we've heard. The article came to our attention after it was spotted by Reddit user daio earlier today. TASS is a state-owned news agency, and the largest in Russia

That is some seriously awful luck. Make sure your play area is safe and clean, people. And fuck glass furniture and desks.

RIP

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figure obviously you would get cut-up going through a glass table like that but bad enough cuts to die from? That is crazy.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User was warned for inappropriate behavior.
08854257.jpg

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Always those Russians and their accident's, RIP to the guy though

Anyway, I do wonder how we can prevent this in future, this has got to be considered for future VR developments

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, I do wonder how we can prevent this in future, this has got to be considered for future VR developments

aren't there like 8 billion warnings before putting on any VR headset that tell you to make sure the area is clear?

GenericForumName

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
VR headsets should not even power up if there's any object in the playing field, imho. The tech right now is not safe enough since you can't see around IRL.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking ouch, what a terrible way to go. :(

RIP.

They don't tell you to clear the space around you when playing VR for nothing...but this is like the extreme worst case scenario.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
glass tables are fucking awful. i fell into one when i was a toddler and my face is scarred from it. if i had fallen on it even a cm to the right i'd probably have fucked my eye up.

RIP :(

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I figure obviously you would get cut-up going through a glass table like that but bad enough cuts to die from? That is crazy.

It's real as fuck. In movies they use sugar glass in glass stunts. Going through real glass like a window cuts flesh like a dozens of knifes. Basically death sentence.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh, that's tragic :(
Families and friends must feel awful about losing a dear one due to this.

We shouldn't shrug this off pls.
Immersing yourself into a virtual reality DOES make you less aware of your surroundings. Share the room with someone else or sit when playing.
Or have a room that's clear and dedicated to your hobby. Move your PC to an empty room with the headset so there's no risk of destroying anything

Oct 27, 2017
Chased my kid brother around the living room when I was younger. Tripped and fell and my face smashed through our glass coffee table. My mother came in screaming as I had a cut going diagonally across my face and blood was everywhere. Doctor patched me up and said had I landed an inch more to the left, I would be blind in one eye. I treat glass tables like shrines now lol.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
has to be the first VR related death on record right? i imagine more will follow as HMDs grow common

not enough to be crisis or anything but i imagine it'll be a thing

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
No, seriously, when playing VR games, make very sure that you have no obstacles around your vicinity. Always!

Does the article mentioned the man was playing VR in an open area, or not?

Last edited:

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
aren't there like 8 billion warnings before putting on any VR headset that tell you to make sure the area is clear?

VR is going to continue having problems like this if it becomes mainstream, and is probably one of the reasons why it won't. A lot of people have small apartments.

Until we get Total Recall VR I'm not getting it.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
That's terribly, terribly sad....rest in peace man...

I sometimes feel like playing VR while seated is the way to go... moving around is so damn dangerous.

Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Please be careful in VR. If something that is not your desk is lower than the height of your hip, always move it if possible.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I was playing Superhot recently and swung my arm so hard I hit a mug and it smashed against the wall and shattered. Something so small like that reminded me of the fact that if I hit a child, I could of really hurt them. I love VR and I'll never stop using it (about once or twice a week) but fuck is it INCREDIBLY unsafe sometimes.

Granted, I should of known about my surroundings as should everybody else, but sometimes you just want to play a game and not move everything around in your house.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

This is not cool at all.

OT: As VR headsets become more widespread, these accidents will happen more frequently.
It'll be interesting to see how developers handle this issue. Once the headsets are all wireless, "VR + walking simulator" seems like a match made in heaven... until you realize that walking around your house blindfolded is dangerous AF.

Nocchi

Oct 30, 2017
If I was playing a moving VR game, I would remove anything that wasn't a fluffy pillow in the room I was walking around in.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

VR Headsets let you define the boundries of your play area. When you set up any of the 3 major PC VR platforms, the very first step is using either a tracked controller or the headset itself to draw the shape of your play area so the computer knows where the limits are. These limits are then turned into floating grids that warn you if you're stepping outside of your boundry, so you don't run into a wall or walk through a pane of glass or something. Things like coffee tables are supposed to either be completely removed from the playing area, or you're supposed to trace around them so the boundry can pop up to alert you that you're getting close to it.

This is how the vive does it, which also includes a front mounted camera to blur in the real world:

HHRFflI.jpg

sVkQmI9.jpg

Obviously things like mobile VR doesn't have this, as they aren't built to be walked around with.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This is not cool at all.

OT: As VR headsets become more widespread, these accidents will happen more frequently.
It'll be interesting to see how developers handle this issue. .

Well they already are. Clearing obstacles in your play area is something that's repeated again and again. Also the guardian/chaperone headsets on these systems show if you're going out of bounds. At some point it's out of the makers hands if people ignore these warnings and systems.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible way to go. It sounds like a freak accident where some shard of that table must've gone into the wrong place.

This is exactly why all motion games throw "make sure you're not anywhere dangerous and be aware of your surroundings" warnings at you all the time. It's an even bigger danger for VR.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man that's awful R.I.P.

But if anything this should hopfully serve as a lesson to those using VR headsets to make sure your playing in a space where you can't injure yourself by walking into or tripping over something. You aren't aware of your suroundings while playing VR so making sure your surounding will be injury free before hand is a must. Not sure if any VR game has warnings like that already but if they don't they definitally should.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say "only in Russia" but that would be pretty insensitive. Hopefully the dude's family is doing ok.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First mistake was not insuring there were no obstacles in the way. Second mistake was owning a glass table. It just wasn't this guys day.