• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

fault_lines_screen_shot.png

Commuters interested in conspiracy theories about George Soros, Hillary Clinton and the Republican National Committee have a new option, courtesy of the Russian government.

Early this month, a radio station based in Liberty, Missouri, signed a three-year deal to broadcast Radio Sputnik across Kansas City.

The English-language programming airs for three hours each morning and again in the evening on three frequencies controlled by KCXL: 1140 AM, 102.9 FM and 104.7 FM.

It's produced by the U.S.-based branch of an organization created in 2013 by Russian President Vladimir Putin to promote Russian interests abroad.

The organization, Rossiya Segodnya, hopes to restore a "fair attitude to Russia in every country in the world," according to court records.

For now, Radio Sputnik only broadcasts in two American cities: Kansas City and Washington D.C., where its programming has aired since 2017.

Many details about the deal are known only because of a 1938 law called the Federal Agents Registration Act, or FARA.

The act requires people lobbying for, or otherwise acting on behalf of, a foreign government to register with the U.S. Department of Justice as a foreign agent.

In this case, that agent turned out to be a Florida man named Arnold Ferolito.

Ferolito brokered the deal between KCXL and Rossiya Segodnya, a Moscow-based organization that controls both Radio Sputnik and RT, a television news network formerly known as Russia Today.

Ferolito also brokered the deal to broadcast Radio Sputnik in Washington D.C., and court records detailing his negotiations with Rossiya Segodnya indicate he offered to put their programming on the air in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Houston and Boston.

It isn't clear why those other deals fell through.

The government pressed Ferolito and Sputnik to register under FARA after U.S. intelligence agencies investigated Russia's role in the 2016 presidential election. One report from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence concluded that Radio Sputnik is part of a "state-run propaganda machine" that served as a "platform for Kremlin messaging to Russian and international audiences."

Under many broadcasting partnerships, the radio station pays a content creator for the right to air programming. The deal Ferolito brokered between Rossiya Segodnya and KCXL is reversed, with the Russians paying $324,000 to broadcast Radio Sputnik for three years.

Ferolito told KCUR he takes a percentage off the top and sends the rest to KCXL, but he declined to say how much. KCXL did not respond to a request for comment.

The station broadcasts an eclectic mix of programming, ranging from music to Bible study to TruNews, a program labeled by the Anti-Defamation League as a "fundamentalist Christian streaming news and opinion platform" that frequently discusses "extreme conspiracy theories."

Its host, Rick Wiles, recently described the impeachment of President Donald Trump as a "Jew coup."

KCXL came under fire in 2018 for giving airtime to Steve West, a businessman who espoused anti-Semitic and Islamophobic views under the name "Jack Justice." West won the Republican primary for a Clay County seat in the Missouri House of Representatives but lost in the general election.

Conspiracy theories can also be heard on Radio Sputnik.

During a recent morning drive-time broadcast of "Fault Lines," guest Robert Luongo claimed George Soros — a billionaire investor who is a frequent target of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories — wants to split the Democratic party in two. Soros' ultimate goal, Luongo said, is "the destruction of America."

Fault Lines, which calls itself "the most disruptive radio show in the Milky Way galaxy," is co-hosted by former Breitbart News reporter Lee Stranahan and Garland Nixon, an ACLU National Board member and retired law enforcement officer.

Other topics up for discussion on the show have included the impeachment proceedings as an "attempted CIA intelligence coup;" the "deep state's" control over President Trump; and, whether Hillary Clinton is "setting herself up to come in to a brokered (Democratic) convention and become the nominee."

Any comrades in Kansas City know about this?

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first I've heard of this, and I live like 2 minutes from Liberty. KC is an odd place to set this up, as it's a pretty left leaning city.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
First I've heard of this. Wonder if there are any planned protests over it I can look into joining.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first I've heard of this, and I live like 2 minutes from Liberty. KC is an odd place to set this up, as it's a pretty left leaning city.
I imagine they're hoping to reprogram left leaning people so that both sides of the political spectrum are left broken and fighting with each other and against one another. So why not just bombard them on the radio, that thing people usually have on for background noise.

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they're hoping to reprogram left leaning people so that both sides of the political spectrum are left broken and fighting with each other and against one another. So why not just bombard them on the radio, that thing people usually have on for background noise.

Jokes on them, KC has some of the lightest traffic in the country, so we don't spend much time stuck in traffic listening to the radio.

Not that many people listen to the radio anyway these days.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is that thumbnail real?

Because the fact that it's a middle aged, bearded white guy wearing sunglasses indoors almost seems to on the nose lol

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Russian spreading it's propaganda to sew discourse. They are political geniuses over there with how much they are causing chaos here.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Russian spreading it's propaganda to sew discourse. They are political geniuses over there with how much they are causing chaos here.

...So why is it that we're at almost tin foil hat levels of conspiracy going on in the US? I want to say it's comical, that it's surreal. But I mean... what the fuck is this?

Like, when do we get to the point that folks are whispering "hail hydra" to each other, and you can read "OBEY" on billboards with the right type of sunglasses?

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Russians are cheating, using the alien tech that they stole from Area 51 to subjugate Americans and take over the world.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
So another government can just decide to set up a propaganda network on US soil?

Edit:
It's produced by the U.S.-based branch of an organization created in 2013 by Russian President Vladimir Putin to promote Russian interests abroad.

Nevermind...

Last edited: