• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Yahoo
Russian Dota 2 player Ivan "Pure" Moskalenko and the rest of the roster of Virtus.pro (VP, playing under the name Outsiders) have been disqualified from the Eastern European qualifier for the ESL One Stockholm Major after the player was seen drawing the letter 'Z', a symbol seen as support for the ongoing Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The incident occurred in game one of the Outsider's upper bracket semifinals match against Mind Games, a squad that notably includes two Ukrainian players.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I heard about this back when it happened. Awful and glad they got punished for it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
That's super fucked up. I doubt any other teams besides VP would touch him anyway, but he should be banned from the Majors indefinitely for good measure.

Are those his teammates who try to obscure the z as fast possible?
He starts crossing it out himself before a teammate of his (I think) circles it and then a bunch of other people just mess up the minimap. The colors make it hard to tell exactly which team everyone is on because teal and light blue are on different teams. I think it was light blue who went second though.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can Virtus Pro still qualify to The International or this fucked them up big time?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
What an absolute piece of shit not only for the message, but for ruining his teammate's ability to play.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
How much of this him being a shitheel and how much of this is him, as a Russian, falling to propaganda? Was he told not to do it and he did it anyway?

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
What a prick. No idea if he's trying to be edgy or genuinely showing support, but I'm glad Valve laid them the fuck out for it. Feel sorry for the other players if they're innocent in all this, but you can't let that sort of shit fly.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Can Virtus Pro still qualify to The International or this fucked them up big time?
Depending on how they solve it, they still have the third (and last) major/season of the DPC to qualify directly. I say that because they got DQd of the tournament but had already avoided "relegation" (which normally would happen in a DQ like this).

Otherwise, they have the chance in regional qualifiers (the teams in the DPC that didnt qualify in the region have a tournament as a last chance) and in this case a special second inter-regional qualifier (still not explained but likely top 2-3 teams of each region for an extra slot).

Policy Chonk

Jul 9, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
aww-did-somebody-fuck-around-and-find-ut-i-in-meme-99c88533f2020ea4-81df0cbaa2dcc50c.jpg

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Also, a bit of background, VP didnt go to a previous fan tournament (they were invited and scheduled to appear before the war happened) because they refused to either write a statement against the war or to participate while removing any mention ot the org (which is owned by a russian oligarch oops).

Even the "opearte ubnder a neutral name" is a bit... of a "sure buddy" situation:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
that the other team had Ukrainian players on it makes the gesture feel malicious

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
He absolutely deserves to lose his career and his team deserves the DQ they just got; they aren't even trying to apologize for his actions, one of the player's tweeted valve asking for their team to be let back in.

It's disgusting.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
A shame because he seemed to be a real rising star. But yeah, fuck around and find out comes to mind.

I understand DM's - one of the other players on VP - tweet asking for the rest of the team to be given some leeway HOWEVER no one actually apoligised on VP's side. Even Pure just gave an excuse.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I know nothing about this scene but I'm always up to see consequences for dumbfuckery.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Not just "fuck around and find out", but a heavy dose of "you need the league more than it needs you". Threw away a golden goose method of making money just to draw a letter on screen. Fucking dumbass.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Idiocy. Got what he deserved and set a strong example for future idiots who dare.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Some of the most cowardly shit on this planet is people who like to draw little symbols or make little gestures that signify hate speech, but never want to say that shit with their chest. They just hope that not enough people recognize what it represents so that they can get away with it.

Trash humans.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That statement from Virtus.pro is fucking awful honestly.
Yeah. Not a shred of compassion to be found. Whoever wrote and ok'd this statement doesn't give a shit about any of that, this is all about how it's affecting them and their business.

In order to try to emphasize how unfair this is to them, they dismissively refer to the incident as "drawing on a minimap by a single player." Rather than acknowledge the severity of this scum's action, or express even a word of sympathy for the targets of this Nazi sympathizer expressing support for rape, torture and genocide, they opted to prioritize talking about how shocking the severity of the punishment to them was. They're the real victims here, you see. Both of the fuckhead's "diminishing actions", and Valve's "shockingly severe punishment." Poor them.

If nothing else, following this statement, the team getting disqualified is retroactively deserved.

Good to see that appropriate action was taken.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
WTH

The statement from the team reads like it is from two separate statements. First, they find the punishment extreme and "unprecedented" (i.e. biased), and then, in the last paragraph, they write the obligatory empty PR that checks all the "we are sorry" boxes

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just about every other sport out there is banning Russians from participating, but Valve makes accommodations to let them play and somebody does this. just incredibly stupid

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Man fuck Pure and fuck Virtus Pro. His actions were disgusting and that VP statement is shockingly bad. Honestly after that statement Valve should just blacklist them from Dota forever. I have zero sympathy for them.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
WTH

The statement from the team reads like it is from two separate statements. First, they find the punishment extreme and "unprecedented" (i.e. biased), and then, in the last paragraph, they write the obligatory empty PR that checks all the "we are sorry" boxes

Man fuck Pure and fuck Virtus Pro. His actions were disgusting and that VP statement is shockingly bad. Honestly after that statement Valve should just blacklist them from Dota forever. I have zero sympathy for them.

Well they ARE owned by an oligarch, so... no surprise.