• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I didn't see this posted anywhere else so...

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/04...-war-director-spider-man-homecoming-timeline/

Avengers: Infinity War director Joe Russo says the "eight years later" title card early on in Spider-Man: Homecoming was incorrect.

Playing a Marvel Cinematic Universe trivia game with interviewer Ashish Chanchlani, Russo was asked: "What was the time gap between the events of Avengers and Spider-Man: Homecoming?"

"Oh, it was eight years, I believe," Russo answered.

"And it was quite controversial," Chanchlani said.

"Yes," Russo said, "it was a very incorrect eight years."

I wonder how Marvel Studios will handle this from now on. Will future versions of Homecoming have a corrected time caption? Or remove it altogether?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
They'll probably just ignore it. Mistakes are going to happen across a 20+ movie shared cinematic universe.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They'd also have to edit a line of dialog if they were ever going to fix that. My guess has always been they'd never address it on screen (either in another film or an edited version of Homecoming) and just move on.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
No idea why it's so controversial. Feel like it was a minor mistake but I listen to a few podcasts and some even said when the 8 years popped up it took them out the movie. I didn't think some people were so hardcore into continuity. I think it's cool but as long as they aren't just butchering the timeline like the X-Men films then I'm all good.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What was the actual gap supposed to be? I always thought it was weird, but I assumed it was an accidental plot hole rather than an outright mistake.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had no idea, now I'm enraged!

No, I don't care, didn't even think about it when I watched it.

Is it too few or too many years?

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spider-Man: Homecoming was really good. Man, I'm still on the fence whether or not it beats 2002 or not, but it sure comes close.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
people actually kicked up a fuss over that?
It did just feel wrong to me. I was confused about whether I'd mixed up the order of events or something. Obviously didn't ruin the movie, but generally they have pretty good attention to detail for this sort of thing, so I assumed that it was me who made the mistake.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's a mistake. Out of 18 films, this is the only inconsistency in the MCU chronologically. That's impressive considering how many wheels and gears are turning behind the scenes.
Feige might have to double and triple check every script for future Spider-Man movies with Sony.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed Homecoming happened after civil war and before infinity war. My continuity was never disturbed.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It didn't seem outlandish to me. Assuming Homecoming was set in the present day (2017) it would put Avengers 1 in 2009.

Gordon Shumway

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melmac
2KsOo7t.gif

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Tony Stark was killing himself in Iron Man 2 for no reason. They missed that, it's not such a big deal that they'd miss this.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing. When I saw Homecoming, I thought "oh well, they must have had a ton of adventure" and moved on.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm amazed they don't have a special continuity group set up to point out errors like this, or at least didn't at the time of Spider-Man. We know they're working on an "official" timeline, which makes me wonder if they're planning on being a bit more meticulous in the future.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this movie for the first time the other day, saw that title card and thought two things:

1. Damn, I'm old
2. Wait, that's not right.

OP
OP
Richiek

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
And Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 takes place only a few months after the first one.