• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
My friend works for a hosting firm. They lost 20 odd servers with resellers on them. I dont know if they are getting any compensation or not.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, OVH is one of the biggest suppliers in Europe. Lots of companies will be affected by this

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I got an email from an MMO I used to play that said a fire hit them as well..

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
That's why you always need offsite-backups.
I hope not more important data got destroyed.
At least nobody got hurt, which is the most important part here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Off-site backups are traditionally not in real-time (hourly/daily snapshots) and wouldn't have been much help in this case.
Though if they're using native cloud tech on AWS/Azure that has real-time functionality baked in, though you pay for it.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
this fire also affected the two biggest german electronics retailers (mediamarkt and saturn), although not their main websites/operations but some partner-related web access or something

Last edited:

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
The datacenters i know have all a ntrogen extinguishing system.
Weird that in this case the whole datacenter burned down.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Reading this made me remember of an old ass racing game (Trackmania Nations Forever) with servers hosted by OVH. I wonder if it was affected as well or if they switched to another host some years ago.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
One of the very popular french shop their sever got destroy by this fired.... they put a video today to say they hope they will have backup, look like this is not going to happen....

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, OVH is one of the largest server providers in Europe outside of the hyperscalers, so this is going to have fairly widespread repercussions, well beyond gaming.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
That's a way of winning more money...

It's a cost of doing business, which yes, unfortunately, scales up as a product becomes more popular. Ideally, they are running their business well enough to absorb those increased costs with increased revenue as they become more successful.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
You'd be surprised how often disaster recovery is overlooked. There's a lot of "it will never happen to us" type of thinking.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this made me remember of an old ass racing game (Trackmania Nations Forever) with servers hosted by OVH. I wonder if it was affected as well or if they switched to another host some years ago.
yup the games were affected, Maniaplanet, TM Turbo and TM2020, TM2020's been fixed so far i believe. I'll have to check is Nations/United Forever have been put back up

EDIT: Trackmania Nations/United are working right now

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
You'd be surprised how often disaster recovery is overlooked. There's a lot of "it will never happen to us" type of thinking.

To be fair, it is highly unlikely that a modern server farm can burn down.
Server racks would be in a fire proof room, that room would be flooded in 10 sec with nitrogen to erase the fire completely.
Cables would be also in fire proof housings.

But that doesn't seem to be the case in that server farm.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Just backing up the databases will cost basically nothing. They just bought into the "cloud" myth is what I guess.

Not sure what that means.

Most cloud infrastructure providers provide both redundancy options that can be entirely automated. Azure for example, provides in-region redundancy option where data is replicated across 3 separate datacenters in a region. For a higher price they also provide a cross-region redundancy option, where data is replicated from EU West to NA East or anything similar to offer an even higher data availability and security.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been in the meetings. People want DR but when they see the cost they want nothing to do with it. Our company moved from server racks in our office to server racks in a single DC. Really that just moved the single point of failure for live services to somewhere else. Somewhere safer and far more resilient yes, but still a single point of failure. We do also have constant backups, on and off site but backups are only great if you have something to restore to.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Just backing up the databases will cost basically nothing. They just bought into the "cloud" myth is what I guess.

Properly implemented cloud stuff would not be affected by this. They decided to not have regional redundancy, so sadly this fire killed their data.

Yes redundancy is more expensive, but it literally is just a toggle on Azure. If you go for Cloud, make sure you use the advantages of cloud, otherwise you are just renting a server rack.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what that means.

Most cloud infrastructure providers provide both redundancy options that can be entirely automated. Azure for example, provides in-region redundancy option where data is replicated across 3 separate datacenters in a region. For a higher price they also provide a cross-region redundancy option, where data is replicated from EU West to NA East or anything similar to offer an even higher data availability and security.
Properly implemented cloud stuff would not be affected by this. They decided to not have regional redundancy, so sadly this fire killed their data.

Yes redundancy is more expensive, but it literally is just a toggle on Azure. If you go for Cloud, make sure you use the advantages of cloud, otherwise you are just renting a server rack.
Yeah, I meant they just went with the bare minimum (or less even) and believed that nothing could happen, or they did not care, which is worse of course.
Even if you are not paying for redundancy, a simple database backup (like once a day, again, bare minimum) costs you basically nothing to implement and is provider agnostic.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The datacenters i know have all a ntrogen extinguishing system.
Weird that in this case the whole datacenter burned down.
I guess a fire that's big enough can overwhelm the defenses, especially if it causes walls to collapse and thus have oxygen flowing in from outdoors.

This wasn't just a small fire in the server room, after all.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I guess a fire that's big enough can overwhelm the defenses, especially if it causes walls to collapse and thus have oxygen flowing in from outdoors.

Wouldn't be the case normally, because a big fire can't happen in an modern server farm envoirment.
Fire needs combustible, heat and oxygen, fire doesn't spawn without these things.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

This wasn't just a small fire in the server room, after all.

Pretty clear OVH is a cheapo "Cloud" provider.

My Valheim server can only be killed by an asteroid impact and we don't care because it would wipe out the whole of the EU as well.

OVH update

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
theregister.com said:
For now, Klaba said OVH has adopted a new policy to back up all customer data, for free.
"Some customers do not understand what they bought," he said, referring to confusion about OVH having its own backups of some services and no backups of other data. In future the cloudy concern will therefore just make customer backups a part of its products.
-- https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/17/ovh_restoration_update/

This is what I meant with: "They just bought into the "cloud" myth"