• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a uneven show but I still like it. I think I like it more for the series it might become one day than the series it presently is. The last 2 seasons haven't been as good as the ones prior.
I still think season 1 is the worst season of RWBY. Yes, it has Players and Pieces in it, but it also spends a full fourth of the season on teaching Jaune how to stand up to a bully.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think season 1 is the worst season of RWBY. Yes, it has Players and Pieces in it, but it also spends a full fourth of the season on teaching Jaune how to stand up to a bully.

I don't mind the Jaune arc(HAH) but only having one member of your titular team participate in the final fight of the first season bugged me.

Also Yang Blazblue colors. Hi Raven.
tumblr_p9yf5jOAzH1rzso0qo1_1280.png

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Yang actually looks great in Raven's colors. I don't think I like most of the rest of them.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like we've been waiting an eternity for the OST, but after listening to the full version of 'Triumph' and 'Smile' I can say the wait was worth it. Haven't even listened to the other tracks yet so more surprises may be in store. lol

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like we've been waiting an eternity for the OST, but after listening to the full version of 'Triumph' and 'Smile' I can say the wait was worth it. Haven't even listened to the other tracks yet so more surprises may be in store. lol

I can't wait to see your reaction to the lyrics for All That Matters. Yang has it bad for Blake.

Oct 25, 2017
As for the lyrics of All That Matters... I... may have something in my eye.

Seriously, it's intense. "Never thought that you'd stay forever, never asked you to commit your life"/"I'll risk it once again to have you near my side, another chance to let you just destroy my pride"

I really hope CRWBY finally opts to come out and confirm that Yang is indeed outright in love with Blake soon, even if it's just in an early episode of V6. It's been hinted at for ages now and this song just takes things to a pretty brutal level.

I just listened to it and FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK my heart hurts!! I swear that better be one of the first issues they focus on in Volume 6. T_T

I KNOW, RIGHT? ;___;

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Yang x Blake was a thing.

It's arguably the most popular ship in the show and has been hinted at here and there since the middle of Volume 2. And then the second half of Volume 3 really kicks it off into high gear- and fans have kinda waited for a long time to finally get some resolution on that topic. The song "Bmblb" on last year's soundtrack was also about them too. We're definitely going to see more of it explored in Volume 6, but who knows how long CRWBY want to make fans wait for full confirmation on the exact context.

Volume 5 Episode 8 is a really good place to go back and look at, since that episode is structured to do a lot of "Back and Forth" between Yang's conflicted feelings over the idea of Blake returning and the whole Blake-Ilia drama (notably also the episode Ilia finally comes out and admits she was in love with Blake).

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
There were a couple of times in earlier volumes where they made me raise an eyebrow but I kinda brushed it off. I'll go back and watch that episode.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I frankly think Bumblebee was never a planned thing and if it does happen it's purely because of how big the ship got.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I frankly think Bumblebee was never a planned thing and if it does happen it's purely because of how obsessive the shippers became.

I'm not so sure about that. At the very least, if the ship wasn't planned from the get-go, I definitely think Bumbleby became the gameplan after the end of Volume 1. The stuff that's there in Volume 2 and the official commentary about that scene definitely indicates that they knew what they were doing with that pairing since before Monty had died.

And let's be honest- obsessive fans didn't stop CRWBY from killing Pyrrha or Penny.

There were a couple of times in earlier volumes where they made me raise an eyebrow but I kinda brushed it off. I'll go back and watch that episode.

I mean, there's a few episodes all around that definitely deserve a revisiting. "Burning the Candle" in Volume 2, Volume 3's Episode 8, 11, 12 and then the previously mentioned Vol 5 episode all mark the strongest hints of it- but there's other little stuff along the way too. Those are just the heavy hitters imo.

Also, here's Bmblb.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure about that. At the very least, if the ship wasn't planned from the get-go, I definitely think Bumbleby became the gameplan after the end of Volume 1. The stuff that's there in Volume 2 and the official commentary about that scene definitely indicates that they knew what they were doing with that pairing since before Monty had died.

And let's be honest- obsessive fans didn't stop CRWBY from killing Pyrrha or Penny.

I mean, there's a few episodes all around that definitely deserve a revisiting. "Burning the Candle" in Volume 2, Volume 3's Episode 8, 11, 12 and then the previously mentioned Vol 5 episode all mark the strongest hints of it- but there's other little stuff along the way too. Those are just the heavy hitters imo.

I edited my post to try and sound less harsh.

I'll be honest nothing in Volume's 1-3 struck me as anything more then friendship. No more romantic then Ruby's interactions with Weiss or Penny.

Now I'll just admit I also have a bias as I like Sun/Blake and have had negative dealings with Bumblebee shippers because of that. So maybe I'm wrong and that's been then end goal the whole time. I guess we'll see.

Oct 25, 2017
I edited my post to try and sound less harsh.

I'll be honest nothing in Volume's 1-3 struck me as anything more then friendship. No more romantic then Ruby's interactions with Weiss or Penny.

Now I'll just admit I also have a bias as I like Sun/Blake and have had negative dealings with Bumblebee shippers because of that. So maybe I'm wrong and that's been then end goal the whole time. I guess we'll see.

I mean, that's the thing- the team was always pretty open about how they didn't see Ruby/Weiss as being romantic either. There's even an old livestream from after Volume 1 aired where it's just the Team RWBY VAs and they actually talk about the idea of Bumbleby vs White Rose in that manner. And there's even the instance where Rooster Teeth got Barb and Arryn to read Bumbleby fanfiction on a stream after Volume 1 too.

And I get running into bad shippers. I've had my fair share of bad encounters with people that shipped Sun/Blake, but I try to recognize the difference between bad eggs and the majority. Frankly, I wish CRWBY could be more forthcoming on the issue, because I feel like they've made some decisions here and there that have made the ship war more toxic than it needed to be.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Weiss can do much better than Ruby. And Neptune too. Fuck Neptune. Maybe Jaune..

Oct 25, 2017
Weiss can do much better than Ruby. And Neptune too. Fuck Neptune. Maybe Jaune..

I've said for years that I really want to see Weiss hook up with Sun somewhere down the road. I feel like that could be a fun dynamic and it'd be some amazing long-term payoff to that quip she made about him in the V1 finale ("I still don't know what I think of you yet!"). But for now, that's just a crack ship idea on my part.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of crack ships.

I actually really love Ruby and Hyde's interactions in Cross Tag Battles story mode.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking about crack ships...

Cinder x Ruby

Winter x Ruby

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Blake/Yang is definitely the only relationship I'm rooting actually happens in the series, tbh.
See, that's the thing, if some of those V1-3 BY interactions were exactly the same but one of them were a guy would they feel more romantically coded?

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If by some terrible event Bumblebee doesn't work out, I'll put what ever is left of my heart into Freezerburn.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
We all know Ruby is gonna meet a nice young reincarnation of an ancient wizard to settle down with.

Unfortunately...

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I know Oscar is only a year younger than Ruby but he looks so much younger. It makes the pairing creepy to me. That and Ozpin is inside him.

Oct 25, 2017
nah, I doubt it

they've put too much groundwork into Blake/Sun

that shit was locked in the second they did the whole meet-the-parents thing

Eh, I think the fact that it was Yang that ran into Blake's abusive ex-boyfriend (who she was also compared and contrast to mere episodes beforehand) and lost her arm as a result of trying to rescue Blake from that is something that really shouldn't be brushed off. Especially when Sun was positioned mere feet away from Yang when Weiss tells her about where she last saw Blake beforehand.

It's just like Zero-ELEC said- go back and revisit all of the big Yang-Blake scenes in the show to date and imagine them with Yang as a guy. Nothing else is different. The dialogue, the shots, the plot, all of it stays the same. It's kind of ridiculous how frequently this happens in shows when the creators don't come out and flat-out say ahead of time that one or both of these characters are queer.

And for the record, I'm not saying that Sun doesn't have romantic feelings for Blake. He clearly does. I just think him and Blake are the Harry Potter/Cho Chang of RWBY.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Ruby x Oscar is disturbing. Technically, he is her teacher (well, the Ospin part is). Not to mention that Oscar will become Ozpin, or vice-versa... Seriously, poor Oscar's situation is horrible when you think about it: his "self" is going to fuse with someone else or be absorbed, and there is nothing he can say or do on the subject. That's a fate worse than death on my opinion.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ruby x Oscar is disturbing. Technically, he is her teacher (well, the Ospin part is). Not to mention that Oscar will become Ozpin, or vice-versa... Seriously, poor Oscar's situation is horrible when you think about it: his "self" is going to fuse with someone else or be absorbed, and there is nothing he can say or do on the subject. That's a fate worse than death on my opinion.

Which is why I'm partially convinced something will happen that'll stop Oscar from being overwritten.

Though while thinking about it, I find it somewhat amusing that Cross Tag Battle has introduced Ruby to characters in similar situations.

Platinum the Trinty for the multiple souls in a single body.

And Linne for the person taking over an unknowing host property.

Oct 25, 2017
Which is why I'm partially convinced something will happen that'll stop Oscar from being overwritten.

Though while thinking about it, I find it somewhat amusing that Cross Tag Battle has introduced Ruby to characters in similar situations.

Platinum the Trinty for the multiple souls in a single body.

And Linne for the person taking over an unknowing host property.

Yeah, my guess is we'll see something similar to what happened in the middle of Legend of Korra, with Ozpin and the parts of the "Oz Singularity" being wiped out or something and Oscar will have to rely on his own skills and knowledge from there on out or something.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
My SO an i began watching this series tonight. I won't deny the curiosity stem from having seen the lead females in Blazblue Crosstag. We watched chapter 1 through chapter 8 and i'm digging it so far, lots of moments make me laugh and the characters are all solid. Binge watching more tomorrow.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My SO an i began watching this series tonight. I won't deny the curiosity stem from having seen the lead females in Blazblue Crosstag. We watched chapter 1 through chapter 8 and i'm digging it so far, lots of moments make me laugh and the characters are all solid. Binge watching more tomorrow.

There's nothing wrong with that! Glad to have you here and looking forward to your future impressions.