• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
In today's "things that would have made scenes in the show more impactful if they were available before": Sienna Khan.

Nice choreography, tho.

Can't help but notice that we've had character shorts for for WBY, and now Adam... :thinking:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah the ruby short was.

"Here's ruby fighting aint it cool?"

Which when you take the initial trailers... is in line with Ruby.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god you're right even "her" character short doesn't do anything with her backstory.

I just... I really want them to do something with her character.

I like Ruby. She's fun. She makes me smile.

But they just refuse to actually do something with her.

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't a Ruby short. It featured Ruby, yes, but it had really nothing to do with her. It's even just called "Volume 4 Character Short".

Each of the named character shorts also fill in a bit about their titular character's backstories, which the Volume 4 short... doesn't.

TBH, I always kinda took that short as a "tech demo" to show off the change to Maya.

Kyo

Oct 25, 2017
Why do all the antagonists in RWBY suck or are already dead.

I guess I have to hope Watts has half of the game he's been talking.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
just so everything I post in here isn't super negative, that was actually a good character short for Adam

Oct 25, 2017
Sienna Khan had such a cool design. It was nice to actually be able to see her in action.

It goes without saying, but Adam is such a piece of shit. I was swearing a lot during that manipulative little chat he was having with Blake. Fucker.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Actions scenes in that short were excellent. I hope it is a testament to their skills improving, and that next season will have better fight scenes (because aside from the Maiden Bowl, fight scenes last season were subpar).

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Actions scenes in that short were excellent. I hope it is a testament to their skills improving, and that next season will have better fight scenes (because aside from the Maiden Bowl, fight scenes last season were subpar).

For whatever reason, seems like the majority of the best fights have been in the shorts rather than the actual episodes, lol.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Because a lot of time and resources got put into them. Thats why there is only one short this year, to make the actual show up to snuff.

Possibly, but the animator pool is also going to be split with Gen:lock.

That said, RvB has been using less fight animation the last two seasons, so that might help.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
That short was maybe the first time Adam seemed like an actual character and not just a garbage waste of polygons (to be clear, you can be an asshole AND an engaging character but for the most part Adam hasn't been).

Also whoever decided it was a good idea to kill of Sierra in the main series as soon as she was introduced to make Adam look more "badass" should be fired. The more time passes the clearer it is that was a fucking stupid idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly, but the animator pool is also going to be split with Gen:lock.

That said, RvB has been using less fight animation the last two seasons, so that might help.

but lack of fight animation is one of the big problems with the LAST season :(

we don't need more reasons to have fights happen offscreen

Actually, RTAnimation has been expanding pretty rapidly. It's not the same pool of animators and its actually different teams.

So one team works on RWBY

One works on Gen Lock

One on RVB

and one on RWBY Chibi (though the RvB and Chibi teams are much smaller than the Gen Lock and RWBY proper team)

Some members got shifted around like Kim Newman who did the gunchucks scene from last volume who is now the lead animator on Gen Lock, but RTA is expanding a lot.

The reason there was a lack of fights last season was because they blew a lot of time and effort on the Weiss Blake and Yang shorts, so thats why the only short this time is Adams.

That short was maybe the first time Adam seemed like an actual character and not just a garbage waste of polygons (to be clear, you can be an asshole AND an engaging character but for the most part Adam hasn't been).

Also whoever decided it was a good idea to kill of Sierra in the main series as soon as she was introduced to make Adam look more "badass" should be fired. The more time passes the clearer it is that was a fucking stupid idea.

They wrote the script before she got her design... and when they did, there was a resounding "well fuck" moment the entire team had. Because they knew her design was $$$

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure if there's enough demand that there could be a workaround of sorts to bring her back. Maybe she faked her death somehow? Could be semblance related.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched the short this morning. My thoughts are:

1. Fuck Adam. I'm glad they portrayed him the way they did. The Blake scene had me on edge. Ugh
2. Sienna was a waste of a character in that her design is so cool, I wish she got more time on the show.
3. I forgot how much I dislike the ~fantasy racism~ subplot.

Also I miss the show...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched the short this morning. My thoughts are:

1. Fuck Adam. I'm glad they portrayed him the way they did. The Blake scene had me on edge. Ugh
2. Sienna was a waste of a character in that her design is so cool, I wish she got more time on the show.
3. I forgot how much I dislike the ~fantasy racism~ subplot.

Also I miss the show...

Volume 6 is so close. Red vs Blue season 16 was suprisingly good and Camp Camp was great as always. So this year has been pretty good for RT in my opinion so I'm really hyped for RWBY.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
i have no idea what they're going to do with volume 6

it feels like blake, yang, and weiss have all kind of reached the end of long-term character arcs at this point

are we finally going to get some movement on Ruby after two volumes of almost nothing? her going to atlas and meeting penny's creator could be a good way to push her forward I guess

I also feel like this volume needs to come out swinging from an action perspective, but it feels like there's a lot of setup that needs to be done before they get moving again

Oct 25, 2017
i have no idea what they're going to do with volume 6

it feels like blake, yang, and weiss have all kind of reached the end of long-term character arcs at this point

are we finally going to get some movement on Ruby after two volumes of almost nothing? her going to atlas and meeting penny's creator could be a good way to push her forward I guess

I also feel like this volume needs to come out swinging from an action perspective, but it feels like there's a lot of setup that needs to be done before they get moving again

A couple of synopsis were released for V6.

It sounds like its going to be another "journey arc" with them heading to Atlas on something called "The Argus Limited"

And the description of the Adam short says Adam's new goal is to just torment Blake because he believes she is responsible for him losing at Haven.

But before that, the writers listed one of their big focuses for V6 is to give Ruby more substantial development.

They also shared concept art of this grimm

Djt7QLtU0AAyC_t.jpg

TBH, I don't really think a cohesive picture of what this volume is going to be exists yet.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got back to the Under Night In-Birth episode of Cross Tag Battle and I love the entire scene with Blake and Makoto.

Really hope season 2 has some more story content because I'd love more interactions involving Blake and Yang.

Oct 25, 2017
That thread in OT asking if no heinous character is beyond redemption has me wondering if maybe Rooster Teeth might be planning some sort of redemption arc for Adam. His revolution failed. The White Fang's in shambles now. He's hit rock bottom at this point. I don't expect it to happen, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it either. It'll take a lot to make it convincing since it's, you know, Adam.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
That thread in OT asking if no heinous character is beyond redemption has me wondering if maybe Rooster Teeth might be planning some sort of redemption arc for Adam. His revolution failed. The White Fang's in shambles now. He's hit rock bottom at this point. I don't expect it to happen, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it either. It'll take a lot to make it convincing since it's, you know, Adam.
God I hope not. And honestly I don't see it going that way, especially with how he's portrayed in his Character Short.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
No thank you.

The only thing Adam needs is a scene if him getting the crap beat out of him. Preferably multiple times.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so long as Mercury loses his legs for real I'm good.

...Why does Salem have so many Punk-Bitches for Henchmen..? Honestly the likes of Adam and Mercury seem very Bottom-of-the-Barrel as far as "Psychos who will work for monsters that want to destroy the world" go.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so long as Mercury loses his legs for real I'm good.

...Why does Salem have so many Punk-Bitches for Henchmen..? Honestly the likes of Adam and Mercury seem very Bottom-of-the-Barrel as far as "Psychos who will work for monsters that want to destroy the world" go.
Mercury is a good punk
I imagine it's pretty hard to hire henchmen who are down to eradicate the human race.

. . .you probably lose most of them when she says they need to help fight a wizard and some magic birds.

Oct 25, 2017

I highly doubt it.

Considering one of the writers considers him the worst, and they wanted people to be grossed out/disgusted with his talk with Blake in his short.

I think they are basically setting him up into being a rabid animal (and also possibly have silver eyes)

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope I remember to actually go to rooster teeth's site every week

it's not like on youtube where the stuff just shows up in my recommendations anyway