• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Adam ain't dead yet peeps. You know deep down in your heart it's true.

Also holy crap, Adam has a shitload of Aura compared to the other fighters in this series. He took a hell of a pounding before he ran out.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Also this better be the end of Blake relationship drama, cause holy fuck. She's basically a harem character and holy shit is it annoying

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Welp episode is out...

Nothing of note on the Oscar side in fact despite the cliffhanger the ship was still fine up until they went with Oscar's plan and they got shot by the canon. I'll give the old woman credit, at least shes not a complete moron to not notice what they were trying to do.

Ruby's plan was crazy but I liked her little moment with Qrow and then her little speech which I still think she expected to fail but it gave her the opportunity she needed to take down the canon. Sadly... That likely was a really bad outcome with the Leviathan incoming but what can you do. So guessing the final battle will involve Ruby using her Silver eyes to save everyone in the town and at least take down the Leviathan.

The second half of the Blake and Yang vs. Adam fight was excellent. The team work they showed was great and the animation was still on point although wasn't as intense as last week. Yang saving the power of her aura and Semblance for one punch was great and feels like this is really what was building since season 4 with the way her dad was retraining her.

Adam got double stabbed in the chest (through the heart it looked like) IDK if hes gone for good as others have said his body fell into the water feels like the kinda thing they'd do if they want to bring him back at some point but I really hope they clarify that hes really dead. He doesn't need to come back and frankly I kinda feel like they wanted to give him a big dramatic death with the way he was stabbed and then fell but its the kind of thing you do when you want to leave it open for a character to return. As others have said, no body, not dead. I'm just not sure what their intentions were hopefully this gets asked at some point soon so they can clarify if they don't say for sure hes dead then hes likely still alive. Which really would be a shame.

It wasn't a kiss but I really did like the moment at the end with Blake breaking down both with her guilt at leaving before compounded with her thinking she just killed her ex, compounded with the whole situation and fear and everything else. It was a good moment the poor girl has been through a lot and its nice to see shes really got someone to care for her now.

The problem I had with Sun was while he was supportive he was kind of an idiot (and clearly trying to get into her pants) and didn't really ever understand Blake or what she was going through even going back to the early seasons though Yang always had an understanding connection with her, she can give the girl the support she needs and really they can support each other but right now Blake likely feels very confused and doesn't know how to process everything thats just happened.

I mean think about it, not even considering the stuff that already happened in the rest of the season you've got her Ex showing up trying to murder her, her fear of something happening to Yang again (which she would blame herself for), her likely coming to terms with her own feelings for Yang (which is obviously romantic at this point even Adam says something about it), all the while trying to fight and stay alive against a person who has literally abused her several times before and having to face her fears and memories of those things. Girl has been through a lot in a very short amount of time.

So we have 1 more episode or 2?

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The Blake Yang half of these last 3 episodes have been fantastic.

But rule of thumb: No body, no death

The other half has been pretty middling though.

Also how exactly is this final episode fight supposed to work. Jaune, Nora, Ruby, Blake and Yang are all aura-less

Silver Eyes

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
IF Adam "survives" it's not gonna be the Adam that just got killed.

More than likely some Grimm abomination vaguely resembling him with his hatred of Black turned up to Setting 111.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on pins and needles this entire week waiting for this episode to drop. Episode was great, specifically because of the BLAKE/YANG v. ADAM FIGHT. During the entire fight (and before it started) Adam continues to draw parallels between himself and Yang (HINT #1), and eventually the increasingly agitated Adam rages to the point where he screams "WHAT DOES SHE EVEN SEE IN YOU?!" to Yang.

"WHAT DOES SHE EVEN SEE IN YOU?!"

(HUGE. MOTHERFUCKING. HINT #2)

After the battle Yang embraces Blake and touches her forehead against hers, cupping her cheeks as she does it after Blake swears she'll never leave her again. (HINT #3)

I'll need to watch the episode for a 3rd, maybe 4th time because I still can't remember what happened after the fight. I'm so goddamn giddy and hopeful for next week. GIVE ME A TIME MACHINE! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BEES!!

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Everybody talking about relationships and I'm just here like

"Man i don't want to talk about this cause Blake's relationships are the worst part of this show."

"How the fuck are they resolving the kaiju thing"

"Are they really gonna Breach it again?"

"Man Grimm are fucking fodder."

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Adam ain't dead yet peeps. You know deep down in your heart it's true.

Also holy crap, Adam has a shitload of Aura compared to the other fighters in this series. He took a hell of a pounding before he ran out.

I would have thought this until the cut following it. I could only take it as confirmation, but I get where you're coming from.

I am surprised they let two of their main characters kill someone

Yeah, I'm impressed. Though to be honest, one must only need look at the vilification process leading up to it. Still slightly eye-raising, but nothing crazy given the lack of perceived sympathy there.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
D1W00kY.gif

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So.....
Yang and Blake just fucking murdered someone.

Still feel nothing for Bumblebee but the whole fight and all the character moments were great.

And yeah short of Grimm magic Adam is ducking done.

Liked the finish for the mecha fight and Ruby got to be both diplomatic and badass.

Silver Eyes will probably come into play. Either that or Oscar will get one heck of a semblance awakening.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Just had a thought. What if Adam came back, but it's not Adam. It's *insert horrific Grimm thing or Horrific Atlas thing*

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Just had a thought. What if Adam came back, but it's not Adam. It's *insert horrific Grimm thing or Horrific Atlas thing*

Already predicted that myself. But yeah, Adam was under Salem's thumb too, just the same as Mercury and Emerald even if he never bothered to show up to Castle Doom. I'd assume that Tyrian was foreshadowing - Not even Death will let Adam escape Salem.

If he does come back as some Grimm-monster he's probably going to get finished off anyway for real next episode. Now 100% Guilt-Free!

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Already predicted that myself. But yeah, Adam was under Salem's thumb too, just the same as Mercury and Emerald even if he never bothered to show up to Castle Doom. I'd assume that Tyrian was foreshadowing - Not even Death will let Adam escape Salem.

If he does come back as some Grimm-monster he's probably going to get finished off anyway for real next episode. Now 100% Guilt-Free!

It's not going to be next episode. And I'd much rather it be an Atlas thing than a Salem thing

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I doubt it. Adam is pretty much done. There would be no reason to bring him back as a grimm monster. However, I think that might end up happening to Cinder
Of course he's done. His body coming back isn't him coming back. It's something in service of establishing something about the other villains. Be it SDC's callous disregard of Faunus or the horror of what Grimm can truly do.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Adam didn't die in front of them and he fell of the same cliff his sword did. They seem to be leaving an opening if they do want to bring him back (kinda wish they did that for Torchwick...)

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Adam's story is done. His arc ran parallel to the White Fang as terrorist organization arc. His White Fang is done and all he has left is Blake. Her Arc with him is done. She's concluded it and is ready to move on. His story ended. There's nothing left to tell and no reason to bring him back unless you're a schlock writer. Bury him already.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Adam's story is done. His arc ran parallel to the White Fang as terrorist organization arc. His White Fang is done and all he has left is Blake. Her Arc with him is done. She's concluded it and is ready to move on. His story ended. There's nothing left to tell and no reason to bring him back unless your a schlock writer. Bury him already.

This.

Adam's done. Also I'm pretty damn sure at this point that they had Adam fall into the water to be yet another nod to the climax of Beauty and the Beast, since that's been a recurring visual element with a number of Yang-Blake/Yang-Blake-Adam scenes since Volume 3. It's a nod to how Gaston fell to his death, and I think that's why they also included Adam hitting that massive boulder on his way down, to help solidify that he wasn't coming back from this.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
This.

Adam's done. Also I'm pretty damn sure at this point that they had Adam fall into the water to be yet another nod to the climax of Beauty and the Beast, since that's been a recurring visual element with a number of Yang-Blake/Yang-Blake-Adam scenes since Volume 3. It's a nod to how Gaston fell to his death, and I think that's why they also included Adam hitting that massive boulder on his way down, to help solidify that he wasn't coming back from this.

It had a rather satisfying crunch.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Adam's story is done. His arc ran parallel to the White Fang as terrorist organization arc. His White Fang is done and all he has left is Blake. Her Arc with him is done. She's concluded it and is ready to move on. His story ended. There's nothing left to tell and no reason to bring him back unless you're a schlock writer. Bury him already.

I would call them schlock writers already at this point. Haha. But I agree.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Adam's dead. I think he's gonna end up being found by Cinder and Neo and team up with them.

Think about it, they're basically in the middle of forming the anti-Team RWBY. Cinder and Neo both have a grudge against Ruby, Adam has a grudge against Blake and Yang. All they'd need after that is someone with a grudge against Weiss.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I don't think Adam's dead. I think he's gonna end up being found by Cinder and Neo and team up with them.

Think about it, they're basically in the middle of forming the anti-Team RWBY. Cinder and Neo both have a grudge against Ruby, Adam has a grudge against Blake and Yang. All they'd need after that is someone with a grudge against Weiss.

I rather Adam be dead, but yeah, I could see the whole anti-team RWBY aspect. Maybe Whitley for someone with a grudge against Weiss. XD

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I rather Adam be dead, but yeah, I could see the whole anti-team RWBY aspect. Maybe Whitley for someone with a grudge against Weiss. XD

weiss brother would make the most sense as the fourth member if team anti-rwby

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn it Qrow. With the direction Rwby is heading now I could definitely see them dropping him if things pick up steam.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Heyo, RWBY Era! Been way too long since I gave myself the pleasure of watching the show despite Volume 5 leaving me feeling pretty confident about where the show is going. Since I'm further behind than everyone here I'll try and play catch-up before the finale this weekend, doing 3 or 4 chapters each depending on their runtime. Will post my thoughts after I watch the first three in a little bit, but first; hopes, fears and expectations.

I felt Ruby has been too pedestrian since the timeskip, with virtually every other character having more than just 'being a huntress' driving them on to grow. Ruby is more than fine in just simply wanting to help people as per her self evaluation way back at the start, but aside from the moment of reflection in Kuroyuri, her letter to Yang and the kinda hamfisted motivational speech to Oscar last volume (where both he and Ozpin both are like "Oh my God, she's so inspiring!" when for the most part she's mainly being dorky) she hasn't really changed alongside her teammates. I hope the change of scenery to Atlas will help spur some maturity - Penny was from there which is an aspect of Ruby's story that has been left untouched since Volume 3, and if Weiss is to head back to her homeland, I can hope Ruby is a good source of support in her facing Shitley and her father. I hope we get a good scene following up that Raven and Tai post credit scene, the truths of their relationship and breakup fascinates me far more than most of the lore heavy shit in the series (Silver Eyes etc). Winter too, They've teased us with her return since Weiss ran away, and she's a great adult foil to Qrow if she were to join the gang.

Please no more Adam. I think my distain for Blake's White Fang plot centres around him being utterly obnoxious and lacking ANY redeemable features. I get it, he's Blake's 'Beast' and they're only setting him up to redeem him in some way, but given how his entire forces have been neutered by an actually progressive faunus movement, and Blake is now surrounded by her team, JNR, Qrow, Sun (plus hopefully his team or at least Neptune) and Ilia, the threat of the little incel-acting piece of shit is nonexistent. Give his plot a rest. Arguably Cinder too but a) she's never dead this early into the fight against Salem, and b) she has far more relevance to the plot so whilst I'd like the show to keep her off-screen until she can pull a surprise return, I can see them going places with a now twice humbled bitch. Basically, give Watts, Tyrion and Hazel more to do on screen for a while.

Well, with the ramble over, I'll post my thoughts later!

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt anything will happen. Unless Rooster Teeth is completely isolated from the rest of the animation industry somehow, they knew what kind of creepy asshole Vic Mignogna was when they signed him on - And this latest renewal of allegations against him doesn't exactly seem to be blowing up in the same way it would if he were more Mainstream-Hollywood. As covered in the other thread, there's a reason his career hasn't progressed beyond Anime and JRPG dubs while the rest of his contemporaries are now Union with several roles under their belt far more prestigious than a Funimation dub.

That reason, of course is, because he's a creepy asshole, but he's too small-time for it to blow up in a way that actually hurts his career.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay! That flew by! Great start to the volume! Since I'm not too certain where anyone might be with spoilers, I'll spoiler tag these thoughts up:

Chapter 1
. Train fight synchronization was great, (loved the single camera opening scene) but the fight itself was a little too disjointed due to the pacing of the episode
. Of fucking course Adam is literally in the second scene, though given how he had a character shorts of course he'd be a main part of this volume
. Liked the fact the train has heavy duty defences, something I'm often confused by is how secure do kingdoms make the modern-day looking transport, like the boat from Volume 4
. So, no Ilia SSSN, and maybe no JNR? Bold move...
. Whether a Lancaster shipper, or just see them as friends, Jaune and Ruby are arguably two of the closest cast members all things considered, and remain one of my favourite pairs in the show
. I am liking the direction they're taking Yang and Blake, or more precisely, how Blake is noticeably acting overtly more sociable in trying to be there for Yang
. Love the Yoda granny
. Don't like the opening, but the first two take some beating tbf, but Neo!?!?

Chapter 2
. ...Cinder too, eh? Joy...
. The first two episodes are a little too jumpy between the time before the train, and the present. As cool as in media res is, having this explanatory scene about the lamp here, then the farewells, and ending with the train crashing as a cliffhanger than a climax feels like it'd have set the tone well enough
. Oz is a dirty fucking liar
. I love Weiss anyway, but the crew are nailing her expressions thus far; that transition of "oh my god" shock into resignation when she learns they'll be going to Atlas, and that awe at Jin.
. Sound design felt great here, taking a few cues from LotRs with regards to adding an echo of weight to anything around the lamp, not overbearing but there
. I also love how there is this crescendo of menace to summoning her, and the moment we do there is this supernatural sense of silence - headphone wearer, felt immersed, well done RT
. Maria Yoda is gonna be doing backflips soon isn't she?
. Cinder seems out of her element a bit in talking to a crime boss, this feels a touch like narrative convenience, she is meant to come across as more vulnerable so she had seemingly lost her ability to charm, manipulate and predict how criminals think and operate
. Big guy is either Adam or Hazel or both
. Oz is such a fucking liar, and whilst I get he has a history of backstabbing from his allies, you'd think that a common denominator is his own cryptic personality
. I didn't think we'd get ANYTHING on Salem randomly in episode 3
. Ruby IS being the one to try and keep people level headed and she is the one who is reacting the most proactively towards the train, and having a proven liar and potential threat(?) in their party, LOVE IT!

Chapter 3
. That's... Er what happened to the moon? I mean I never saw a single theory that caught my imagination, so not critising it too much as I haven't got anything better than them, and it kinda sets up Dust given how the God of Darkness, the one welding mankinds' power destroyed it, sending asteroids back down that can arguably be infused with his magic
. I am... Unsure about this backstory, it's not the worst I've ever seen for RWBY with regards to theories, but it does gloss over some finer points of where mankind came back from, and where the Faunus came from too, and a little too much time was done characterising the two gods than say Salem and Ozma and their children
. Cinematically it was brilliant, amongst the best the show has done - great scene transitioning and narration, with the only real drawback being that siege Salem led not really having enough soldiers to justify the scale of the assault Jin was describing. Only Cinder/Em/Merc's flashback episode compares - fitting since they're both the core antagonists
. So, basically, Salem must be redeemed, not destroyed, or else live in perpetuity - which given how Oz sealed the relics away to avoid summoning the Gods, that really is his plan

Overall, probably the most unique start to a volume yet. Given how there is 13 episodes, I'm already revising my expectations of this being an Atlas volume, it's a travel one isn't it?

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about the history of the world.

It's about what Ozpin is keeping from the group
Well yeah I agree with that, but part of telling Ozpin's story is to somewhat outline a huge chunk of the world's history given him, Salem and their relationship to the Gods. This served as a way of laying out a lot of the backstory of Remnant whilst focusing on two characters, and I liked it fine enough, it was just a side thought that we went from no humans to both humans and Faunus.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Heyo, RWBY Era! Been way too long since I gave myself the pleasure of watching the show despite Volume 5 leaving me feeling pretty confident about where the show is going. Since I'm further behind than everyone here I'll try and play catch-up before the finale this weekend, doing 3 or 4 chapters each depending on their runtime. Will post my thoughts after I watch the first three in a little bit, but first; hopes, fears and expectations.

I felt Ruby has been too pedestrian since the timeskip, with virtually every other character having more than just 'being a huntress' driving them on to grow. Ruby is more than fine in just simply wanting to help people as per her self evaluation way back at the start, but aside from the moment of reflection in Kuroyuri, her letter to Yang and the kinda hamfisted motivational speech to Oscar last volume (where both he and Ozpin both are like "Oh my God, she's so inspiring!" when for the most part she's mainly being dorky) she hasn't really changed alongside her teammates. I hope the change of scenery to Atlas will help spur some maturity - Penny was from there which is an aspect of Ruby's story that has been left untouched since Volume 3, and if Weiss is to head back to her homeland, I can hope Ruby is a good source of support in her facing Shitley and her father. I hope we get a good scene following up that Raven and Tai post credit scene, the truths of their relationship and breakup fascinates me far more than most of the lore heavy shit in the series (Silver Eyes etc). Winter too, They've teased us with her return since Weiss ran away, and she's a great adult foil to Qrow if she were to join the gang.

Please no more Adam. I think my distain for Blake's White Fang plot centres around him being utterly obnoxious and lacking ANY redeemable features. I get it, he's Blake's 'Beast' and they're only setting him up to redeem him in some way, but given how his entire forces have been neutered by an actually progressive faunus movement, and Blake is now surrounded by her team, JNR, Qrow, Sun (plus hopefully his team or at least Neptune) and Ilia, the threat of the little incel-acting piece of shit is nonexistent. Give his plot a rest. Arguably Cinder too but a) she's never dead this early into the fight against Salem, and b) she has far more relevance to the plot so whilst I'd like the show to keep her off-screen until she can pull a surprise return, I can see them going places with a now twice humbled bitch. Basically, give Watts, Tyrion and Hazel more to do on screen for a while.

Well, with the ramble over, I'll post my thoughts later!
Okay! That flew by! Great start to the volume! Since I'm not too certain where anyone might be with spoilers, I'll spoiler tag these thoughts up:

Chapter 1
. Train fight synchronization was great, (loved the single camera opening scene) but the fight itself was a little too disjointed due to the pacing of the episode
. Of fucking course Adam is literally in the second scene, though given how he had a character shorts of course he'd be a main part of this volume
. Liked the fact the train has heavy duty defences, something I'm often confused by is how secure do kingdoms make the modern-day looking transport, like the boat from Volume 4
. So, no Ilia SSSN, and maybe no JNR? Bold move...
. Whether a Lancaster shipper, or just see them as friends, Jaune and Ruby are arguably two of the closest cast members all things considered, and remain one of my favourite pairs in the show
. I am liking the direction they're taking Yang and Blake, or more precisely, how Blake is noticeably acting overtly more sociable in trying to be there for Yang
. Love the Yoda granny
. Don't like the opening, but the first two take some beating tbf, but Neo!?!?

Chapter 2
. ...Cinder too, eh? Joy...
. The first two episodes are a little too jumpy between the time before the train, and the present. As cool as in media res is, having this explanatory scene about the lamp here, then the farewells, and ending with the train crashing as a cliffhanger than a climax feels like it'd have set the tone well enough
. Oz is a dirty fucking liar
. I love Weiss anyway, but the crew are nailing her expressions thus far; that transition of "oh my god" shock into resignation when she learns they'll be going to Atlas, and that awe at Jin.
. Sound design felt great here, taking a few cues from LotRs with regards to adding an echo of weight to anything around the lamp, not overbearing but there
. I also love how there is this crescendo of menace to summoning her, and the moment we do there is this supernatural sense of silence - headphone wearer, felt immersed, well done RT
. Maria Yoda is gonna be doing backflips soon isn't she?
. Cinder seems out of her element a bit in talking to a crime boss, this feels a touch like narrative convenience, she is meant to come across as more vulnerable so she had seemingly lost her ability to charm, manipulate and predict how criminals think and operate
. Big guy is either Adam or Hazel or both
. Oz is such a fucking liar, and whilst I get he has a history of backstabbing from his allies, you'd think that a common denominator is his own cryptic personality
. I didn't think we'd get ANYTHING on Salem randomly in episode 3
. Ruby IS being the one to try and keep people level headed and she is the one who is reacting the most proactively towards the train, and having a proven liar and potential threat(?) in their party, LOVE IT!

Chapter 3
. That's... Er what happened to the moon? I mean I never saw a single theory that caught my imagination, so not critising it too much as I haven't got anything better than them, and it kinda sets up Dust given how the God of Darkness, the one welding mankinds' power destroyed it, sending asteroids back down that can arguably be infused with his magic
. I am... Unsure about this backstory, it's not the worst I've ever seen for RWBY with regards to theories, but it does gloss over some finer points of where mankind came back from, and where the Faunus came from too, and a little too much time was done characterising the two gods than say Salem and Ozma and their children
. Cinematically it was brilliant, amongst the best the show has done - great scene transitioning and narration, with the only real drawback being that siege Salem led not really having enough soldiers to justify the scale of the assault Jin was describing. Only Cinder/Em/Merc's flashback episode compares - fitting since they're both the core antagonists
. So, basically, Salem must be redeemed, not destroyed, or else live in perpetuity - which given how Oz sealed the relics away to avoid summoning the Gods, that really is his plan

Overall, probably the most unique start to a volume yet. Given how there is 13 episodes, I'm already revising my expectations of this being an Atlas volume, it's a travel one isn't it?

AHHHH it's so good to have you back!!! Can't wait to read more of your impressions!