• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Geist

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Love this episode. Salem and Ozpin's origin story is way better than I expected from these guys.

Specifically, I love that they weren't immediately repulsed by each other, and it was a slow thing. Ozpin was at first fine with ruling humanity, but gradually became uncomfortable with how bloodthirsty Salem could be and that's what lead to their break up (poor kids).
I wonder if the maiden's do actually come from Ozpin's power or if they are reincarnations of Ozpin and Salem's kids.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love this episode. Salem and Ozpin's origin story is way better than I expected from these guys.

Specifically, I love that they weren't immediately repulsed by each other, and it was a slow thing. Ozpin was at first fine with ruling humanity, but gradually became uncomfortable with how bloodthirsty Salem could be and that's what lead to their break up (poor kids).
I wonder if the maiden's do actually come from Ozpin's power or if they are reincarnations of Ozpin and Salem's kids.

Yeah their daughters brought the maidens to mind.

Also I guess this confirms Oscar is Dorothy since Ozma's been taken.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 3

Well... That was certainly more eventful then I thought it would be. Salem gets really fleshed out as does Oz. In the case of Salem the gods ultimately twisted her by giving and taking away Ozma and then making her immortal and eventually making her utterly alone drove her mad and her attempt to killing herself just ultimately changed her into a monster. I found it really interesting that despite that she and Oz were able to actually come together again and love each other and even having a family of all things. Oz's decision to try and explain everything to her and then betraying her is what caused her to go down the path she now does. He may not have been able to convince her that what they were doing was wrong but turning against her broke what little of love and humanity she had left.

This explains why she seek the relics. With all 4 they can bring the gods back, Salem likely wants to do that to wipe out humanity(?) by bringing them back to see how much conflict there still is. Oz likely knows the only way to destroy Salem is to bring the Gods back as well but he can't do that until humanity is without conflict and is ready to be judged. Do to this hes had to hide the relics from Salem and while she eventually learned where they were hidden (likely from Lionheart if she didn't know already) she couldn't reach them without the Maidens which is why she has Cinder seek out that power (which we already knew).

Speaking of the Maidens... I think the 4 children the pair had are either referenced or directly connected to the maidens. The battle between Oz and Salem leads me to believe that they were killed, what if they inherited part of Oz's curse of reincarnating into other people just without the memories of whom they were before. This goes against the story we were told on how the Maidens came to be and something Ozpin said I think last season that he was the one who created them, in a way I guess he still did but certainly not what I think anyone was suspecting before now. So the 4 Maidens reincarnate and are the only ones capable of using magic like Oz and Salem although we don't know if its more limited then what they were capable of but this was something that all of humanity once could do. Because they are so rare Oz created a system so that each Relic would need a Maiden to get it while also setting up the huntsmen schools above where each was in order to provide even more protection. Not a bad plan I must say.

The only real question I have is what part does Ruby and her Silver eyes play in all this. Her powers are clearly different from the Maiden's so its not the same kind of magic or at least doesn't seem to be. It also seems unlikely its a power from either of the gods so is it something that was developed when humanity began again after the gods wiped them out? Is it a rare power from the time people could wield magic that somehow survived? Is it something even older then that and unrelated to the gods? I'm not even sure we'll get answers on this honestly, with this big info dump though thats the thing that really can't be placed currently.

I thought the episode was good, didn't expect it to go the way it did and I have to say it was pretty well told even if it was literally a 25min lore dump XD It's certainly a lot to take in but it does answer a lot of questions either directly or indirectly. I'm guessing Oz didn't want them to know the truth because finding out Salem is utterly immortal likely would make them give up hope, or finding out that the only way they can kill her is to bring the gods back and have humanity at peace which they are most certainly not. It sounds like something that wouldn't even be possible in a single lifetime let alone several and certainly not while Salem works in the shadows pulling the strings to make things worse. It's hard to want to stand up to that, to fight against such an impossible looking wall.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
While that's all well and good...

the backstory continues to leave ozpin blameless and make everybody seen stupid as a result

And I FUCKING HATE THAT

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
1541870981056.png

Those are Silver Eyes

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually wait no.

why the fuck does he want to bring the gods back?

They're asshole.

His attempt at redemption?

Also...
God of Light manifests as a giant gold Dragon.

Is there a deliberate connection their to the Xiao Long's? Because Oz could literally be related to fucking everybody now.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like to imagine the two brothers just keep creating the worlds of other Rooster Teeth shows going "ok this time it'll work."

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also I know this probably isn't something people want to hear.
But apparently Oz and his host have worked around relationships before.

Just throwing that implication out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Also I know this probably isn't something people want to hear.
But apparently Oz and his host have worked around relationships before.

Just throwing that implication out there.

This will either make Rosegarden weaker or stronger

Also... this episode is probably not an end for the past.

Because there is a shot in the trailer for V6 that wasn't in this episode, and RT doesn't strike me as capable of just making shots for trailers like Disney can do for Marvel movies.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This will either make Rosegarden weaker or stronger

Also... this episode is probably not an end for the past.

Because there is a shot in the trailer for V6 that wasn't in this episode, and RT doesn't strike me as capable of just making shots for trailers like Disney can do for Marvel movies.

Actually...

Not that I can say one way or the other regarding what you're referring to (because NDAs), but RT is fully capable of doing that. All companies do that for marketing material purposes.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Like I love that story, but it makes the Ozpin issue so much more aggravating.

unless the take away is "No Oz is actually super wrong and Salem is super right. Fuck the Gods"

Oct 25, 2017
Like I love that story, but it makes the Ozpin issue so much more aggravating.

unless the take away is "No Oz is actually super wrong and Salem is super right. Fuck the Gods"

Honestly I really liked the backstory, but I do agree with you on the fact that

I don't understand why Ozpin was so desperate to hide it. Because he comes out of it smelling like roses. He literally did nothing wrong

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

I don't understand why Ozpin was so desperate to hide it. Because he comes out of it smelling like roses. He literally did nothing wrong
Eh
He is still somewhat responsible for Salem turning into the villain we know today

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017

Probably because of the 'Salem is unkillable' thing. That must have proven pretty demoralising in the past.

Plus he probably didn't want to watch all that again.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
#OzpinDidNothingWrong

No seriously

Unless something big is revealed next episode and the story isn't over yet

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
1541870981056.png

Those are Silver Eyes
Like the maiden's being obviously connected to his daughters

Salem mentioned that Cinder being a maiden made her vulnerable to rwby

Maybe with Salem in control of the daughters and the grim Ozpin gave his kids a way to combat them with their own special magic

Oscar is probably their grandpa

Though Oz is likely a lot of people dad

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So, while my predictions weren't entirely correct... They were technically correct - The best kind of correct.

Honestly I'd bet that the whole "You can't destroy Salem" part is what drives people to her side - ala Saren and the Illusive Man in Mass Effect - Basically seeing aiding+abetting her as their only path to survival.

But yeah, I was right that Salem being let out of that tower is what lead to her becoming what she is.

I was also right that it'd be some misguided Good Samaritan who let her out - Color me caught off guard that it'd be Ozpin as the one that let her out and not the one keeping her in though.

Also interesting loophole that the Relic of Knowledge has - It seems that asking a very wide and unspecific question can garner you a lot of knowledge for only one of its three uses. Though I'd imagine "What is Ozpin hiding from us" probably hits the limits of just how vague a question you can ask and get meaningful information in return.

Where did all the Humans and new civilization come from? Simple, Golden Dragon guy implicitly hit the Reset Button when restoring Ozma.

Guess I was wrong though about the Dark God corrupting Salem. She was Psycho from the start and it was ultimately both the gods responsible for her being what she is rather than who she is.

Man though, all this shit because some guy with a cane accidentally caught a microbe. Everyone count your blessings that this world probably didn't have any Physical Gods present on in during most oh human history given how insanely common a cause-of-death that is.

Last edited:

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

If you are subscribed to VRV ($10 for Crunchyroll plus a bunch of other content), they have Rooster Teeth FIRST content and thus RWBY same day as RT website.

Anyway

I never thought he was secretly some sort of villain. And I don't know why so many were thinking he was some terrible person under the surface.

He has none of the flags of a manipulative chessmaster villain commandeering the heroes. He very much keeps himself front and center of the struggle against the Grimm and it's fairly obvious that there was no real shot at the Grimm secretly being good.

Everything I've seen in Ozpin since Volume 1 has been of a man who has to make the hardest choices which require the strongest wills towards the singular purpose of preserving Humanity against an enemy that cannot be defeated. This might come as a shock to some of you, but carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders so to say requires the kind of information-security Ozpin has made use of throughout the series.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For people asking where new humans came from a lot of people are theorizing that Dust from the destroyed moon rained down on Remnant and that's where they came from. Tying in to Salem's speech from episode 1.

"Man born from dust."

Oct 25, 2017
Like the maiden's being obviously connected to his daughters

Salem mentioned that Cinder being a maiden made her vulnerable to rwby

Maybe with Salem in control of the daughters and the grim Ozpin gave his kids a way to combat them with their own special magic

Oscar is probably their grandpa

Though Oz is likely a lot of people dad

Cinder being a maiden is not why she is vulnerable to Silver eyes. It is because she is part grimm.

Raven was in the same room as Ruby when she used them in V5 and nothing happened to her. Just cinder

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like Ozpin was given a
broken task by taskmasters that created their own problem and could just as easily solve it themselves.

Last edited:

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Ozpin was given a broken task by taskmasters that created their own problem and could just as easily solve it themselves.

1. You might want to tag that

Best part is it wasn't even his fault. Not like he knew Salem would be some SSS-Tier Yandere when he let her out of her tower.

Actually I'm not really sure now how to feel about the fact that
this loredump essentially reduced Salem and her motivations to her being some fucking massive psycho Yandere.

I was thinking the truth would be a bit more Xenogears-ly. I mean it's sorta there but at the end of the day it's all just Salem going Full-Yuno.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. You might want to tag that

Best part is it wasn't even his fault. Not like he knew Salem would be some SSS-Tier Yandere when he let her out of her tower.

Actually I'm not really sure now how to feel about the fact that
this loredump essentially reduced Salem and her motivations to her being some fucking massive psycho Yandere.

I was thinking the truth would be a bit more Xenogears-ly. I mean it's sorta there but at the end of the day it's all just Salem going Full-Yuno.

Id say it's less that Salem was a yandere and more that she just kept repeatedly getting the short end of the stick.

All she wanted was her lover back and in return got cursed by beings she knows could have easily fixed this whole thing.

It's pretty clear that her years of immortality really broke her. It was a bad situation made worse and as far as she was sure there was no way of getting out of it.

I was reminded of a lot of Greek myths.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I appreciated most about this episode was
it didn't end up being a cliched battle of the god of light vs the god of dark, I fully expected dark god to give Salem powers and then light god brings back Ozma to fight her and that be the whole reason for the conflict.

I was genuinely surprised when the light god explained what happened and the dark god was like "Oh sorry, I made a mistake."

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure she wasn't already partly Grimm at that point. I'm wondering if maybe that freaky glove thing wasn't already Grimming her in some way.
Yeah that is what I've assumed. I don't think they would have gone out of their way to show the flashback and how the Fall Maiden lost her powers via some kind of weird grimm glove thing if it wasn't important.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
My problem was never

Ozipin secretly being evil. I never cared about that.

My issue is that the narrative explicitly framed himas being far more ambiguous than he ever was and continually rammingnthat home all for it to go. "Lol no he's not." Its an exercise in futility, makes everybody around him look stupider and adds a layer of tension FOR NO GOD DAMN FUCKING REASON

That's why I hate the implications of this cause it makes several characters look stupid for no reason.

It's not even a "you can understand it in context" sorta thing.

It just makes Yang, Jaune, Raven and Hazel look like jackasses

AND FOR FUCKING WHAT?!

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Also

this makes the tale of two brothers complete horseshit. Since its clear they just nebulously do whatever they like.

OP
OP
Geist

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are we all just ignoring the fact that Ozpin is the reason that Salem came out of self-imposed exile to try to conquer the world as its new God? Ozpin was a willing participant in the beginning. That seems like something Ozpin should feel guilty about.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much, if any, of this story Team WTCH knows?

Wonder if they'd be so eager to serve her knowing that the endgame was literal Armageddon.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know

what salem wants the relic for

I have a guess.

Remember Salem's speech at the end of Volume 3, and how she intends to divide humanity. Ozpin told her everything, so she knows that if the Relics are brought together, the Brothers will come back, and if they see humanity divided, they'll wipe them all out.

I think she's also hoping that they'll wipe her out along with them, basically letting her get her revenge while also being able to finally die.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
That doesn't really

Give her, her revenge.

Iy possibly lets her die (if she even wants that) but letting the gods win is rather athema to her character