• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Still a lot of outstanding question and this turned out a lot more "mythical" than I expected. Also as others have said, Ozpin comes out looking better than I would have expected. Unless there are more shoes to drop next week.

I really liked that episode

Although it raises more questions

If the god of darkness destroyed everyone, where did the new humans, faunus and dust come from?

Yeah that bit confused the hell out of me. Are we to expect that humans just re-evolved out of the blue? That Salem gave birth to them all? None of that makes sense and it feels like a details that didn't need to be added.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Still a lot of outstanding question and this turned out a lot more "mythical" than I expected. Also as others have said, Ozpin comes out looking better than I would have expected. Unless there are more shoes to drop next week.

Yeah that bit confused the hell out of me. Are we to expect that humans just re-evolved out of the blue? That Salem gave birth to them all? None of that makes sense and it feels like a details that didn't need to be added.

The NuMans are essentially the product of Dust, and presumably Osma reincarnated several thousands of years into the new cycle - Remember, the narration said he came into a world that was irreconcilable from the world he originally died in. If life suddenly came back, there'd still be something to recognize.

RWBY had a fair bit of Devil May Cry inspiration behind it, right? Salem could very well be handled in a way similar to Mundus where "defeating" her comes down to sealing her away from the world for as long as possible... At least long enough to properly solve NuManity's problems to bring the four relics together.

One small thing to note: The Grimm-Spawning pool in this episode was a massive lake. But the Grimm-Pools seen in Volume 5 were a series of puddles... Is this thing possibly drying up and running out of Grimm?

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Are we all just ignoring the fact that Ozpin is the reason that Salem came out of self-imposed exile to try to conquer the world as its new God? Ozpin was a willing participant in the beginning. That seems like something Ozpin should feel guilty about.

Exactly.

If Ozpin had just did what the older brother said and ignored Salem, she might not have been a problem. She was living in seclusion.

But instead Ozpin went and had a family with Salem, letting the problem only grow bigger. So when Ozpin decided to focus on the task he was given, he basically ended up also betraying Salem, which was the last thing her mental state needed. Now she's actively trying to stop him from achieving his goal.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The emphasis on Ruby being an "simple honest soul" makes me wonder if there going to try to pacify Salem.

Not necessarily "redeem" her, but maybe make her have a realization that breaks her curse.

On another note...
Given Jaune's increasingly bitter attitude to Ozpin and how some people are drawing parallels between his various deaths to Pyrrha I'm honestly wondering if Jaune might be tempted to pull an Anakin.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So just started RWBY this weekend and ended on Season 4, Episode 1. Holy shit, the season finale for Season 3. I came into the show thinking it would be dreck, but I'm really enjoying the characters and the story. Favorite character by far is Jaune and I'm hoping his combat skills level up a little bit. Kinda tired of seeing him in the comic relief role. Also,
Poor Pyrrha and Yang. Just as Pyrrha and Jaune finally become a thing, she dies and Yang loses her arm. I swear I haven't hated an antagonist like Cinder since the Godhand in Berzerk.
Since I'm still catching up, does it get better from here? Noticing the story has gone from Harry Potter to Avatar: TLA and I'm not sure I like where it's going.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed that the light God brought them back to give humanity another chance just without magic because that was dark gods gift

Oct 25, 2017
So just started RWBY this weekend and ended on Season 4, Episode 1. Holy shit, the season finale for Season 3. I came into the show thinking it would be dreck, but I'm really enjoying the characters and the story. Favorite character by far is Jaune and I'm hoping his combat skills level up a little bit. Kinda tired of seeing him in the comic relief role. Also,
Poor Pyrrha and Yang. Just as Pyrrha and Jaune finally become a thing, she dies and Yang loses her arm. I swear I haven't hated an antagonist like Cinder since the Godhand in Berzerk.
Since I'm still catching up, does it get better from here? Noticing the story has gone from Harry Potter to Avatar: TLA and I'm not sure I like where it's going.

Volume 5 is considered the lowpoint of the series by many.

But V6 has been really good so far.

But yes, the show does kinda transition to an A:TLA style of a world spanning adventure over a school show.

Oct 25, 2017
Preview of Episode 4 description

Takes place in Salems domain. Tyrian and Watts are looking down, while Emerald, Hazel and Mercury are kneeling down. Salem asks how they failed so spectacularly. Hazel trys to blame the Faunus, but Salem tells him no, "tell me who is responsible". Clip ends as Hazel stands. He is probably going to blame Cinder which explains Salem's monolgue from the trailer and why Emerald has her weapons raised.

Oct 25, 2017
which is weird because volume 1 is obviously the worst volume

I can still enjoy V1 in its own way asides from how streched out Jaune's bully arc was. Also I was probably less critical because this was the show coming from a guy whose previous works were "FF characters fight DoA characters" and "Master Chief and Samus fight each other, then they team up to fight a bunch of aliens, then it turns out master chief was a girl all along, and then they make out"

RWBY V1-2 was always a guilty pleasure of mine. I didn't take the story of the show seriously until V3.

V5 to me is the worst because it felt like it threw away a lot of what V3 had set up in an incredibly unsatisfying way.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I will remind you that we spent a full one fourth of the first volume watching Jaune learn how to stand up to a bully.

Also 2 episodes immediately before that on Weiss learning that the world doesn't revolve around her.

Volume 1 was pretty good through episode 8, and closed well, but the Badge and the Burden / Jaunedice / Forever Fall stretch killed the momentum of the season.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Volume 2 also had the third act having built up the Grimm invasion being a bad thing and that they need to stop or the town would be screwed

Actually nope the hunters could have easily dealt with them and they did

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's fair to say a lot of RWBY's core issues can be drawn from Monty decisions

As much as I loved the man, the power scalling of the show is really out of whack.

I mean, I doubt he went "I'm going to animate these characters super strong and hyper capable, then die to screw everyone over" but the crew isn't able to really replicate some of the feats he made characters pull off.

Not sure if it was a decision to reel characters back to make new characters seem more powerful, but the power scalling has been ruined due to his passing.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I will remind you that we spent a full one fourth of the first volume watching Jaune learn how to stand up to a bully.

It's so hard to recommend this show to anybody because they have to sit through all of that. >_<

Preview of Episode 4 description

Takes place in Salems domain. Tyrian and Watts are looking down, while Emerald, Hazel and Mercury are kneeling down. Salem asks how they failed so spectacularly. Hazel trys to blame the Faunus, but Salem tells him no, "tell me who is responsible". Clip ends as Hazel stands. He is probably going to blame Cinder which explains Salem's monolgue from the trailer and why Emerald has her weapons raised.

Where'd you get this from?

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Monty also only came up with the Maidens as a concept after V2 aired.

Miles and Kerry implemented them because he was really passionate about there inclusion and they wanted to honor his wishes.

But that obviously came with the drawback that they were never properly foreshadowed in any way before they became mega important, and M/K got alot of flack for that at the time till people found out the full story.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sheesh someone give Oscar a fucking hug already.

Also Qrow/Yang just because you've become disillusioned doesn't mean you can be a dick.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah people betray him because Oz made it seem like there was a big plan for all his shit but really he has nothing and he's just playing keep away with Salem and he has nothing to stop her

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
God I hope
Qrow's outburst in this episode and his part in the opening isn't the start of a "Qrow switches sides" plot, that would be so dumb.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
God I hope
Qrow's outburst in this episode and his part in the opening isn't the start of a "Qrow switches sides" plot, that would be so dumb.
On that in particular..
I don't think he'd ever betray Yang/Ruby, I think hes more likely to die this season then anything else.

As for the rest of the episode...

So ultimately Ozpin has no plan, not even to bring the gods back and have them judge humanity once everything is right in the world. No wonder he didn't want them to know that, how the fuck do you follow a guy who seems to know 'everything' yet has no idea how the shit they actually win. I understand the groups anger but I wish they had brought up some of the other things from the vision such as Oz willingly working with Salem and how their battle killed their own kids in the end.

Oscar really does get the worst of it though, not only does he know all of that now but he has to live with the fact that he houses the person all of them pretty much hate at this point.

The old woman is great, more of her please.

The villains part was interesting and now that line from the trailer makes a lot more sense with it being directed at Cinder. I'm not sure of this but Salem knowing shes still alive makes me wonder if she has some kind of connection to the maidens (if she really was originally their mother) or if its just because Cinder's grimm part of her body.

Overall it was an okay episode but was pretty short overall at least compared to the last few episodes.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Okay that's what I needed.

Raven was right. Ozpin you STUPID MOTHERFUCKER.

This also completely justifies Hazel.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What a crap episode. It honestly feels like it was the ending of last week's episode that was cut off and just used this week. There just wasn't enough there to call this a fulfilling episode.

Oct 25, 2017
What a crap episode. It honestly feels like it was the ending of last week's episode that was cut off and just used this week. There just wasn't enough there to call this a fulfilling episode.

Last weeks episode was 26 minutes (longer than a normal episode, and the longest episode RWBY has ever done)

This weeks was 13:37 (heh). But yeah, its not really a fulfilling episode since its basically everyone reacts to the previous episode... but considering this show and it's limitations with episode lengths I kinda forgive it

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Awaiting for old lady to go all master roshi and we can leave all this cynicism behind.

Taking bets old lady has silver eyes.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The first chapter of the Bunta Kinami manga adaptation released for English Jump readers.

Maybe it's just me coming off the awful Shirow Miwa art, but this actually looks really nice. I can immediately see this becoming the best way to experience the first couple volumes if this keeps up.

Oct 25, 2017
The first chapter of the Bunta Kinami manga adaptation released for English Jump readers.

Maybe it's just me coming off the awful Shirow Miwa art, but this actually looks really nice. I can immediately see this becoming the best way to experience the first couple volumes if this keeps up.

At first I wondered why would a manga exist for a show just retelling the show... and then Miles said that "yeah, these exist because we know the intial volumes were rough and a we've seen a lot of people see the later seasons, then when they want to start the show they look at V1-3 and go what is this?"

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At first I wondered why would a manga exist for a show just retelling the show... and then Miles said that "yeah, these exist because we know the intial volumes were rough and a we've seen a lot of people see the later seasons, then when they want to start the show they look at V1-3 and go what is this?"

Makes sense.

Probably a lot easier then remaking volumes 1-3 like I've seen some people suggest.

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense.

Probably a lot easier then remaking volumes 1-3 like I've seen some people suggest.

There is also the internal issue of trampling over what Monty did. Also some of the animators have been very vocal about not wanting to remake V1-3. Austin Hardwick who did a couple of the sequences of the Raven vs Cinder fight said he'd not want to do it because to him it is "revisting 8 grade, but not being allowed to change anything"

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
And no one seems disturbed by the fact that some of the most important secrets of the world were shared with a complete stranger: the old lady, Maria Calavera. Really, no one even tries to watch what they are saying.

Something is amiss. She blends in too well. You know how Ren's semblance allows him to hide his presence, and how Amber is able to create illusions? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Maria has a semblance that allows her to manipulate other minds and lets her remain beneath suspicion.

It goes without saying that Maria has a role to play. The question is: which one? And for which side?

I would need to rewatch episode 3: did Maria ever appear during the flashback scenes? Because she definitely saw them, but I don't think we ever saw her reactions.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
You know the heroes have every reason to be pissed at Oz considering his sacrificing lives basically playing keepaway with no plan especially when it's his fault that Salem got the idea to wipe out humanity with the relics and what's worse Salem is unstoppable and immortal and the light God while an asshole did warn him

At the same time Oz is not some genius wise wizard but just a dude ......... just like Wizard of oz

Fuck you lol

But seriously he's just some asshole that that put in an impossible situation and given a big mission from the gods

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And no one seems disturbed by the fact that some of the most important secrets of the world were shared with a complete stranger: the old lady, Maria Calavera. Really, no one even tries to watch what they are saying.

Something is amiss. She blends in too well. You know how Ren's semblance allows him to hide his presence, and how Amber is able to create illusions? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Maria has a semblance that allows her to manipulate other minds and lets her remain beneath suspicion.

It goes without saying that Maria has a role to play. The question is: which one? And for which side?

I would need to rewatch episode 3: did Maria ever appear during the flashback scenes? Because she definitely saw them, but I don't think we ever saw her reactions.

I'm going with her being related to the Silver Eyes theory.