• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good episode. Loved Maria's backstory and the fact that she was a complete badass. Made me wonder who was hunting the Silver Eyed people.. Do we know this already?

Also Jaune's sister and her wife made me tear up and grin really big, I'm such a sucker for gay representation lol.

I am assuming it was Salem, and the person who Maria fought was one of Salems old lieutenants. Explains Hazels comment about dealing with Silver Eyed Warriors before

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got into the show this year because of BlazBlue Tag, and it was a huge bummer having the show start off really strong with the first 3 volumes only to fall off hard with 4 and 5. That said, Volume 6 has been amazing so far. Almost every episode has been great (wasn't a fan of the giant lore episode, but I appreciate the effort they put into it)

The girl from the flashback inspired by Peter Pan ('s crocodile) was so cool. Also, went back and rewatched that fight and her clock actually lasted 60 seconds like she said. I'm a sucker for attention to detail like that.

Oct 25, 2017
I got into the show this year because of BlazBlue Tag, and it was a huge bummer having the show start off really strong with the first 3 volumes only to fall off hard with 4 and 5. That said, Volume 6 has been amazing so far. Almost every episode has been great (wasn't a fan of the giant lore episode, but I appreciate the effort they put into it)

The girl from the flashback inspired by Peter Pan ('s crocodile) was so cool. Also, went back and rewatched that fight and her clock actually lasted 60 seconds like she said. I'm a sucker for attention to detail like that.

Yeah its a cool detail.

Nothing irks me more than anime time when "10 seconds" is represented as almost 2-3 minutes.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

I just realized what the inspiration was for the warrior lol

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
Tock's Semblance is confirmed to be 60 seconds of Invulnerability.
Perfect for a character that opts for a berserker style.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the latest episode last night but was too tired to post.

Episode was pretty good overall, loved the flashback and reveal to show Maria was in fact a legendary huntress, and one that was an inspiration to Qrow. I got super pumped with the reveal that Jaune's sister is gay, and I hope it's a topic that's brought up in the next episode (pssst.. RT... let Yang and her have some girl talk/consultation/stir the goddamn bee nest).

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Finished Volume 3 just now, felt a bit uneven but overall I like the direction the series is going.

I felt the first half of the season was rushed and suffered from a lack of introducing the other teams well. Coco and her team barely appeared in s2 just to job hard to Mercury and Emerald. Most of the tournament fights underwhelmed because it was hard to care when barely introduced b teams were fighting newly introduced c teams.

One Cinder's group made their move things got a lot better. Why even bother to bring back torchwick if he was just gonna get clowed by a low level grimm? I get with the lore stuff, cinders new power, and her master who's clearly more powerful torchwick is probably too weak to be a serious threat... but it felt like padding just to give Ruby an action scene. Even being spoiled on Pyrra's death it was very well done and her arc in this season was the best part.

I look forward to seeing where volume 4 goes. Hopefully team rjnr can go from being a team of mostly gag and incompetent characters. Crow seems to be very interesting and clearly has a larger role to play. I feel the series is trying to hunt that Ruby herself is one of the seasons that she inherited from her mother, but I think that's a red herring and her power is something else.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Is it that controversial of an opinion to say that season 1 and 2 are... bad? Yes, they have the best fight choreography, but the characters are one-dimensional and cliched, the story kind of just meanders about, the art just doesn't look at all, and the animation is stilted outside of fight scenes.

It wasn't until season 3's second half that I got invested.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Been keeping up with this series, and man has this season been quite strong so far. It will be far and away the best RWBY season yet if it stays generally consistent in it's second half. And yeah, I really really like the Apathy.

As for this weekend's episode:

The Maria flashback was pretty damn cool with a fun fight, and oh now time to see how they are going to get through Atlas' military. XD

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Is it that controversial of an opinion to say that season 1 and 2 are... bad? Yes, they have the best fight choreography, but the characters are one-dimensional and cliched, the story kind of just meanders about, the art just doesn't look at all, and the animation is stilted outside of fight scenes.

It wasn't until season 3's second half that I got invested.
Not really, there has always been a level of nostalgia for some of the lightheartedness those seasons had, problems and all. (Like the food fight, which is still one of the best fights in the shows history)

But V3 is pretty universally seen as the shows best and where it took off, specifically its second half.

But those fights from early on really stuck with people, especially after V4 only had one standout fight in Qrow vs Tyrian, and V5 blueballed the ever loving fuck outta everyone every goddamn week with cliffhangers that were only ever followed up on the episode AFTER the next.

But V6 is so far the best its ever been, from animation, to voice acting, to pacing, character development, and worldbuilding.

With music still as stellar as its always been and fights finally reaching a near Monty level quality and consistency.

The complete package. Finally

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But V6 is so far the best its ever been, from animation, to voice acting, to pacing, character development, and worldbuilding.
They've better figured out how to make a show on many levels but outside the info dump episode about the antagonist and Ozpin we're half way through this season and nothing much has happened. I kinda wish they'd hurry up and get to Atlas so something can happen.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
They've better figured out how to make a show on many levels but outside the info dump episode about the antagonist and Ozpin we're half way through this season and nothing much has happened. I kinda wish they'd hurry up and get to Atlas so something can happen.
Uh, character wise quite a lot has happened.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I honestly would say the monty fights are probably the worst part of the show and v3 is the biggest offender of this. Every episode half of it is dedicated to an all flash no substance brawl which rarely adds anything to the narrative. I love my shonen shit, but not every fight needs to be 7-10 minutes of a 14-16 length episode. It also diminishes the impact when the fights that deserve to be longer happen like Pyrra vs Cinder.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Uh, character wise quite a lot has happened.
With who?
Yang is angsty as she's been. Blake is a bit quiet and submissive because Yang is angsty. Weiss character wise is still at the same place they put her in over the course of last season. Ruby is pretty much still Ruby. Crow is like Ruby still Crow. Outside of Ozpin / (host boy) and Salem most of the characters are still the same that they were last season. We got some back story to flesh those 2 out a bit more.

I'm really hoping they kill Cinder off and don't try to turn her into a Zuko type character. I hope she stays bad till her final moment.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With who?
Yang is angsty as she's been. Blake is a bit quiet and submissive because Yang is angsty. Weiss character wise is still at the same place they put her in over the course of last season. Ruby is pretty much still Ruby. Crow is like Ruby still Crow. Outside of Ozpin / (host boy) and Salem most of the characters are still the same that they were last season. We got some back story to flesh those 2 out a bit more.

I'm really hoping they kill Cinder off and don't try to turn her into a Zuko type character. I hope she stays bad till her final moment.
Uh, Qrow is in no shape or form the same as he was last season. He's even more bitter and disillusioned then he already was and his alcoholism is being treated much more seriously.

His look upon seeing the Apathy gives him more character then anything that happens last volume IMO.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Uh, Qrow is in no shape or form the same as he was last season. He's even more bitter and disillusioned then he already was and his alcoholism is being treated much more seriously.

His look upon seeing the Apathy gives him more character then anything that happens last volume IMO.
He walked around constantly carrying a flask of alcohol well before all this. Sure he's upset about what what Ozpin pulled but is was a drunk when we met him and he's a drunk now.

If you wanted an example of a character that's drastically changed since we met them it's Weiss. Maybe to a lesser extent Blake and Yang and all of that happened last season.

There's probably still 7 episodes left so maybe this can change but I have my doubts that we'll be seeing real character growth outside of maybe Blake / Yang this season unless someone gets offed.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
He walked around constantly carrying a flask of alcohol well before all this. Sure he's upset about what what Ozpin pulled but is was a drunk when we met him and he's a drunk now.

If you wanted an example of a character that's drastically changed since we met them it's Weiss. Maybe to a lesser extent Blake and Yang and all of that happened last season.

There's probably still 7 episodes left so maybe this can change but I have my doubts that we'll be seeing real character growth outside of maybe Blake / Yang this season unless someone gets offed.

Ozpin's been set up for some character growth now that his deceptions are out in the open.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the heck are the physical releases of RWBY so damn inconsistent? It's one of the most annoying things about it for me. Volume 1 and 2 gives you the option to watch them episodically but then volume 3 and 4 doesn't, only for volume 5 to only give you the option to watch it episodically.

I know I'm in the minority but I prefer to watch RWBY volumes the same way I did when they originally came out with the intros and outros intact over the movie format, and to do so in better quality over streaming the episodes. But you know, options would be nice. There was no reason to drop the episodic versions for the later physical release only to make it the only option for volume 5.

There are other little problems as well, like the extended opening for volume 1 not playing for the movie format on blu-ray even though it plays just fine for the movie format on DVD and streaming sites. Volume 3 has some fairly annoying sound issues with the volume going up and down between scenes that isn't present for the episodes on Youtube or Rooster Teeth's website. Volume 4 is also the only volume that's missing its own trailer for absolutely no reason.

I find it especially annoying because I bought a new Blu-ray release that has all five volumes in one and they did absolutely nothing to fix any of these issues for the newer release.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I just finished volume 4 of Rwby and wow, this might be the biggest improvement of any season. Everyone finally felt like a real character with arcs and development including people who had felt like side shows like Nora, Ren, and Sun. For the most part the action scenes did not feel as bloated as they have in past season, and the story developments were fantastic.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Not a lot of ground covered this week. The Atlas military was like Ruby said... weird. I did like how stubborn they were with the idea that Atlas might have to stand alone against the world and they were prepared for that to happen. Shows how differently some people clearly think in different countries, not everyone gets alone.

The new character was interesting and it was good to have our Grimm Reaper have someone besides the rest of the cast to relate too and I loved how she settled on calling her an 'enemy' that was cute.

Liked that Weiss got immediate backup from Ruby about not having to go on her own back to Atlas. Really feels like we won't be seeing the group split up in a big way again which I think is a very good thing.

Qrow continues his downward spiral just don't know where its going to end at this point but the way hes ignoring everyone and even pushing away Ruby isn't a good sign. I still don't think he'd turn traitor but I certainly see his death a strong possibility going forward. If he does turn on anyone I think the only reasonable way it happens is if he turns on Oscar and maybe purposefully lets him get hurt or in serious danger and ends up having to be removed from the group either forcefully or otherwise. I can see a scenario going down where Ruby has to gently tell him that she can't trust him anymore and he needs to leave or Qrow realizes how badly of shape hes in and decides to leave on his own.

Jaune and the rest of his teams reaction to the news was well done. We as the audience as well as team RWBY have all had time to really deal with the news but having them give their fresh opinions about everything and how hopeless they really feel was a nice touch. Even the always positive Nora was really aggravated at the news.

So confirmation that the Silver eyes comes from the God of Light we just don't know exactly how or why as of yet and honestly its something they may just not explain. At this point I'm starting to think the only way to kill Salem now is the silver eyes, I don't see why she'd view them as such a threat as to actively hunt down their users like she has if they weren't a significant risk to her in some way. Maybe if the eyes can't kill her they could purge the dark power inside of her that allows her to control Grimm the way she does.

So Oscar leaving was kinda obvious as he really feels hated at this point, wonder if Ozpin will show back up talking to him soon feels weird the way hes hiding from all of them still, makes him seem like far more of a coward then hes been portrayed as.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Oscar's definitely going to get himself into some kind of trouble. Rescuing him will probably be the season finale mission

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Just finished Volume 5, not sure if 4 or 5 was my favorite but the show has just continued being excellent. The writing and animation were as strong as ever and everyone had a great arc during the season. Oscar in particular really impressed me, though I'm sad I didn't post my prediction that
Raven was the actual spring maiden, the fact she put on the mask whenever the one girl did her powers was a keen give away.

Will probably catch up on volume 6 tomorrow, gonna suck being out of the binge state.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
There was actually one scene where the spring maiden used her powers without Raven having the mask on, when Yang and Weiss were about to fight her tribe. However, if you watch closely, when you see Vernal's arm stretched forward a bit to imply she summoned the lightning, Raven has her arm slightly forward in a similar position in the background. It's really subtle hint that I loved when I saw the episode again.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So two questions I've meant to ask

When did Weiss get the scar under her one eye? Did she always have it and I just couldn't tell with the old animation, or did it happen sometime during the finale of volume 3?

Speaking of volume 3, whatever happened to the umbrella girl who was with Torchwick? I know she got sent flying by Ruby on the ship, but I don't recall if she was ever confirmed dead.

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017

When did Weiss get the scar under her one eye? Did she always have it and I just couldn't tell with the old animation, or did it happen sometime during the finale of volume 3?

Speaking of volume 3, whatever happened to the umbrella girl who was with Torchwick? I know she got sent flying by Ruby on the ship, but I don't recall if she was ever confirmed dead.

The scar is from the White Trailer:

The trailers like these are sorta required watching tbh

Neo was never confirmed dead.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.

She had that scar from the get go, including the White trailer way back then.

A shot from Volume 1.

cNPlLrM.png

And Neo was not confirmed dead.

Edit: beaten.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The scar is from the White Trailer:

The trailers like these are sorta required watching tbh

Neo was never confirmed dead.

I read the (very bad) manga that expanded upon the trailers and I think I watched the trailers 5 years ago when rwby was first hyped. I remembered the general gist of what happened in all four of them and recognized the references to Yang's and Blake's when they showed up.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm fully caught up (at least through whats free fuck paying for ft first) and if s6 continues to be this good my season rankings are

6 > 4 > 5 >> 3 >> 2 >>>>>>>>>> 1

Rip Oum, but the quality of the series as a whole has only gotten better since his passing and it's extremely noticeable. I think 4 and 5 are extremely close with 5 having the better finale but 4 having the general better character moments. The twist in v6e3 was really great and really justified everything the villains and Raven had said about Oz through 6 seasons. It even recontextualizes the discussions with Ironwood in v2/3 and why Oz acted the way he did. I really wish RT would remake v1-3 of rwby in the new engine with some pretty extensive rewrites to make the shows tone be more consistent thiugh it's run and the character writing to general be greatly improved.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this season is so boring so far, rivaling last season. I'm glad it's brought back a bit of the energy with more inner team interactions, but all of the talking and tame discourse has been a real snoozefest.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
anybody else having trouble with the RT player today?
Man, this season is so boring so far, rivaling last season. I'm glad it's brought back a bit of the energy with more inner team interactions, but all of the talking and tame discourse has been a real snoozefest.
also this is a terrible opinion

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Volume 6 has had longer episodes than prior Volumes, so it probably all balances out in total runtime.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Does anyone at VRV have any actual idea what'll happen in the finale of v6? Or is this just all manufactured hype?

Also I dunno what they could possibly reveal that'll blow minds more then what happened in episode 3.