• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Finally binge watched Vol. 6 earlier today. Feelings were a bit more mixed on Vol. 5, but this was definitely better.

And back to lurking and the occasional BBTAG when I'm not hating its dumb things for me. Admittedly hadn't been playing anyone from Team RWBY in that after giving up on Weiss because the other two fencers were and still are much better to play (though some still manage to actually make her work), being put off of Ruby thanks to Team Gorby and not enjoying either playing as or against her, and Yang not clicking with me any more than other Arc System Works melee fighters who aren't Jam or select choices in DBFZ, but I'm at least trying with Blake lately (via teaming her with Yuzuriha, an iai user who's neither a jerkass nor an incel, whom Blake is somewhat less exasperated by compared to other crossover pairings, and I can have the two coordinate by picking Ren colors for both if I feel like it).

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the RTX stuff

1) Art of the DC Comic

2) RWBY is getting a companion book and another Scholastic book called "Before the Dawn"

3) Merch includes, good smile figures, a lifesize Cresent Rose Replica

4) Apparently more writers are being added to the team (currently on the last chapter of V7 writing wise)

5) No short this year, they want to focus on the actual show

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of impressed how massive RWBY has gotten in terms of side media.

I like the show, but it just blew up at some point.

Also, have Miles and Kerry been the only writers up until this point?

Oct 25, 2017
k73ga23n4j831.jpg

The new designs

D-uy2V4WwAIGr0y.jpg:large

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
4) Apparently more writers are being added to the team (currently on the last chapter of V7 writing wise)

On last season's RWBY Rewind they said that the reason Yssa was replaced by Jackie and Ellie was that she was working with the writing team. She doesn't seem to have any writing credits on Volume 6, so this must have been in preperation for Volume 7.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I typically find myself at odds with Era loving it when redesigns give female characters shorter hair, but at the same time I don't necessarily dislike it here for Blake (it actually goes well with the rest of her update).

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

She looks fantastic with the bob cut. So happy Yang is getting the onesie. Been wanting it ever since I saw her character art in the manga.

I typically find myself at odds with Era loving it when redesigns give female characters shorter hair, but at the same time I don't necessarily dislike it here for Blake (it actually goes well with the rest of her update).

Why is that?

---------------

Weiss' new outfit is aces. Whoever had the idea to give her a braid, I want to hug them.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Just a difference in aesthetic preferences, I suppose. I can't really think of any cases where almost everyone else here didn't meet similar changes with overwhelming approval, so I just conclude that most on Era simply like short hair best in general. Beyond that, I tend to be indifferent if it's someone where it was always short.

EDIT: If I were to think of one exception that I'd make, I'd say that Seong Mi-Na looks better with the alternate shorter hair than her standard long braid in Soul Calibur VI.

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Ok, bump but am I only one who thinks Adam should have been an enemy to Weiss too and narratively, makes no sense why they never interacted seeing as their storylines/backstories are connnected?

aarcane

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it seems odd in retrospect that Weiss, who at the time was heiress to the SDC, wasn't more of a target for the White Fang.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it seems odd in retrospect that Weiss, who at the time was heiress to the SDC, wasn't more of a target for the White Fang.
The chainsaw guy she jobbed to was pretty much the extent of it, yeah (and for him, he pretty much just considered it his lucky day since he hadn't even been looking for her).

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
The chainsaw guy she jobbed to was pretty much the extent of it, yeah (and for him, he pretty much just considered it his lucky day since he hadn't even been looking for her).
And Adam has her company brand and they never meet
It baffles when people on R/RWBY say they have no business together yet as you mentioned, the chainsaw guy has a bone to pick with schnees

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While it is a missed opportunity by the time of the series proper Adam clearly cares more about gaining power and resuming control of Blake then any sort of actual desire for justice.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
While it is a missed opportunity by the time of the series proper Adam clearly cares more about gaining power and resuming control of Blake then any sort of actual desire for justice.
I'm ok with Adam being spiteful and not an antihero ala Killmonger. I meant going after Weiss as vengeance, not justice. Anything is better than the one note abusive ex who's motive is 'My cat waifu left me'. Hell, he could have guilt tripped Blake for siding/befriending Weiss or guilt trip Weiss using his scar.

I've said this before the evil abusive ex did not mesh well with the show trying to make him as someone who lost his way cause of racism. My issues with Adam are with the Faunus subplot anyway

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, I don't think Adam and Weiss interactions would have been meaningful at all.

At most, it would have just been Adam blaming Weiss for his scarring and her family... and Weiss would just get the takeaway that she already knew, that her father is not a good man and is polluting the name of "Schnee".

Weiss's resentment towards Faunus was born because her father lashed out at her whenever the WF attacked one of the SDC's transports. Interacting with Adam changes nothing that Weiss didn't know, or her goals. Which is to take back her family name (still don't fully understand her plan to do so asides from being a Huntress helping people, but hopefully it's expanded upon in V7).

The reason Adam has become this controversial figure in the show is because he has two different motivations

1) The racial inequality between Humans/Faunus
2) His anger at Blake for leaving (being an abusive boyfriend)

I feel these two aspects of his character keep contradicting one another, and people lament him not being a "racial savior" character like Magneto or Killmonger. However, the writers and Adam's theme of Lionized constantly state that "his fight for equality" is just a smokescreen. He is just spitefully lashing out at those who wronged him, regardless of them being human or faunus.

And I think that causes an issue of mixed messaging, because people becoming radicalized due to racial inequality is a real thing but Adam using it as a smokescreen to be spiteful towards other people kinda sends a bad message regarding people who might be radicalized. I think thats why some Adam fans complain about Ilia because she is the character Adam fans wanted Adam to be.

But he is not. He's just a spiteful piece of shit. And imo, I am glad he is gone because he was kinda dead weight on the show's narrative. Hopefully villains like Tyrian or Watts are handled better than most of the other villains.

I think Villains like Salem, Neo, Mercury and hopefully Emerald (if she finally see's what Mercury is telling her is true and Cinder doesn't really care about her) are handled pretty well.

But I think Cinder, Adam and Hazel are characters where the ball was dropped. I mean, we know more about the big bad of the show than her subordinates.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I agree with everything Sjay1994 said about Adam. I think the idea of Adam's character was good, it just wasn't executed well, like many other elements of RWBY.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
IMO, I don't think Adam and Weiss interactions would have been meaningful at all.

At most, it would have just been Adam blaming Weiss for his scarring and her family... and Weiss would just get the takeaway that she already knew, that her father is not a good man and is polluting the name of "Schnee".

Weiss's resentment towards Faunus was born because her father lashed out at her whenever the WF attacked one of the SDC's transports. Interacting with Adam changes nothing that Weiss didn't know, or her goals. Which is to take back her family name (still don't fully understand her plan to do so asides from being a Huntress helping people, but hopefully it's expanded upon in V7).

The reason Adam has become this controversial figure in the show is because he has two different motivations

1) The racial inequality between Humans/Faunus
2) His anger at Blake for leaving (being an abusive boyfriend)

I feel these two aspects of his character keep contradicting one another, and people lament him not being a "racial savior" character like Magneto or Killmonger. However, the writers and Adam's theme of Lionized constantly state that "his fight for equality" is just a smokescreen. He is just spitefully lashing out at those who wronged him, regardless of them being human or faunus.

And I think that causes an issue of mixed messaging, because people becoming radicalized due to racial inequality is a real thing but Adam using it as a smokescreen to be spiteful towards other people kinda sends a bad message regarding people who might be radicalized. I think thats why some Adam fans complain about Ilia because she is the character Adam fans wanted Adam to be.

But he is not. He's just a spiteful piece of shit. And imo, I am glad he is gone because he was kinda dead weight on the show's narrative. Hopefully villains like Tyrian or Watts are handled better than most of the other villains.

I think Villains like Salem, Neo, Mercury and hopefully Emerald (if she finally see's what Mercury is telling her is true and Cinder doesn't really care about her) are handled pretty well.

But I think Cinder, Adam and Hazel are characters where the ball was dropped. I mean, we know more about the big bad of the show than her subordinates.
I disagree as I think Weiss and Adam would have been more meaningful interactions than Yang as to me as their backstories are connected. With that said, don't really see why people say they are not meaningful. Yang has no business interacting with Adam aside from Bumblebee being blunt

Killmonger was about spite as well. I'm ok with Adam being a spiteful shit, just not someone who thinks racism should take second place to being dumped as being an evil ex is not a good way to depict someone who lost his way due to racism.

I think what contradicts Adam is how he;s meant to be someone who lost his way to very justifiable and understandable reasons and at a same time, some hate sink evil abuse ex and it undermines the racism subplot.

Putting a character like Adam at the center of racism subplot is not a good look.

If there was a character with Adam's motive in other media, he would be laughed at and hated. Imagine the uchicha clan massacre happened but Sasuke was more concerned about Sakura dumping him and said that hurt worse than seeing his family killed

Also, this a departure from R/RWBY, who act like he's something only a genius could come up with.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
RWBY's racism subplot is its worst pllt, by miles.

It was never good. Closest it ever got was the adam short and the adam eye reveal.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
RWBY's racism subplot is its worst pllt, by miles.

It was never good. Closest it ever got was the adam short and the adam eye reveal.
The eye reveal was pointless as it doesn't matter that Adam is a faunus by then, he doesn't care about it and thinks being dumped was worse, which is the series dumbest line IMO

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back when the Faunus subplot was first introduced with those CRDL goons messing with Velvet, who was originally intended to be a one-off plot device yet wound up becoming a character with a name, more screentime, and an actual team with seniority since fans liked her while those racist assclowns faded into not even having speaking roles. Shame we haven't seen Team CFVY since Vol. 3 minus a novel I haven't read, but I wonder if more Team FNKI (and potentially seeing who the other two members of it are) will happen first, since they're the ones from Atlas.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember back when the Faunus subplot was first introduced with those CRDL goons messing with Velvet, who was originally intended to be a one-off plot device yet wound up becoming a character with a name, more screentime, and an actual team with seniority since fans liked her while those racist assclowns faded into not even having speaking roles. Shame we haven't seen Team CFVY since Vol. 3 minus a novel I haven't read, but I wonder if more Team FNKI (and potentially seeing who the other two members of it are) will happen first, since they're the ones from Atlas.
I've heard the book is pretty good btw.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree as I think Weiss and Adam would have been more meaningful interactions than Yang as to me as their backstories are connected. With that said, don't really see why people say they are not meaningful. Yang has no business interacting with Adam aside from Bumblebee being blunt

Killmonger was about spite as well. I'm ok with Adam being a spiteful shit, just not someone who thinks racism should take second place to being dumped as being an evil ex is not a good way to depict someone who lost his way due to racism.

I think what contradicts Adam is how he;s meant to be someone who lost his way to very justifiable and understandable reasons and at a same time, some hate sink evil abuse ex and it undermines the racism subplot.

Putting a character like Adam at the center of racism subplot is not a good look.

If there was a character with Adam's motive in other media, he would be laughed at and hated. Imagine the uchicha clan massacre happened but Sasuke was more concerned about Sakura dumping him and said that hurt worse than seeing his family killed

Also, this a departure from R/RWBY, who act like he's something only a genius could come up with.

I lurk the RWBY reddit, and imo you aren't exactly helping yourself with the amount of Adam threads you make there.

It's like those people who keep making Jaune threads where they treat him like he is the central character of the show.

I don't think people on the reddit treat Adam like he is some brilliant villain. They almost all treat him like an unlikeable piece of shit, and are happy he is gone from the narrative. If anything, I notice people are tired of talking about him because some people refuse to let his character go.

IMO, he is the Joffrey of RWBY.

Adam isn't saying "Blake dumping him is worse than him being branded". He is a spiteful asshole who lashes out at anyone he thinks has wronged him. That is why he kills those WF members at the beginning of the volume. He is not a racial saviour. He is a PoS who is lashing out at the world because he feels it has wronged him. And he feels Blake wronged him because she left.

Thats what his character is.

Was it not the best idea to mix that concept with racial tension especially with the current climate of race being far more noticeable than when RWBY started? Sure.

But the show, the writers, the music, etc all portray Adam as someone who is just using racial prejudice as a smokescreen to lash out at people.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I lurk the RWBY reddit, and imo you aren't exactly helping yourself with the amount of Adam threads you make there.

It's like those people who keep making Jaune threads where they treat him like he is the central character of the show.

I don't think people on the reddit treat Adam like he is some brilliant villain. They almost all treat him like an unlikeable piece of shit, and are happy he is gone from the narrative. If anything, I notice people are tired of talking about him because some people refuse to let his character go.

IMO, he is the Joffrey of RWBY.

Adam isn't saying "Blake dumping him is worse than him being branded". He is a spiteful asshole who lashes out at anyone he thinks has wronged him. That is why he kills those WF members at the beginning of the volume. He is not a racial saviour. He is a PoS who is lashing out at the world because he feels it has wronged him. And he feels Blake wronged him because she left.

Thats what his character is.

Was it not the best idea to mix that concept with racial tension especially with the current climate of race being far more noticeable than when RWBY started? Sure.

But the show, the writers, the music, etc all portray Adam as someone who is just using racial prejudice as a smokescreen to lash out at people.
I'm not an Adam stan don't worry or want him to be more of the central character, just feel like he could have been more interesting than an evil ex, and agree he is deadweight. I just find racial archtypes like that interesting and I'm not dappercat or anything
Really, a lot of people say he's an excellently well written abuser or a masterpiece of a sociopath
Yeah, I agree he is no racial savior. I am ok with that. I'm ok with him being spiteful. I just think him being an evil ex is lame compared to other villains when he actually has an interesting backstory and legit reasons for his hatred and the abusive ex isn't the way to show someone who lost his way cuz of racial prejudiced. Nevermore even says he's a boy who lost his way

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an Adam stan don't worry or want him to be more of the central character, just feel like he could have been more interesting than an evil ex, and agree he is deadweight. I just find racial archtypes like that interesting and I'm not dappercat or anything
Really, a lot of people say he's an excellently well written abuser or a masterpiece of a sociopath
Yeah, I agree he is no racial savior. I am ok with that. I'm ok with him being spiteful. I just think him being an evil ex is lame compared to other villains when he actually has an interesting backstory and legit reasons for his hatred and the abusive ex isn't the way to show someone who lost his way cuz of racial prejudiced. Nevermore even says he's a boy who lost his way

While Adam might be dead, I am interested in Atlas to see the environment that is responsible for creating someone like Adam. His Amity Arena bio and the song say he used to have ambitions of leaving the mines and he used to be relatively alright.

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. The Faunus subplot is pretty much dead

I doubt your doubt.

The Faunus mines have been a talking point in the show for a while, but we've never seen any of it. Atlas is the best chance we will. In the clip of V7 they showed from RTX apparently Ruby remarks that the Atlas drones that are defending the people there are kinda shitty, which is because they are in the "poor area" of Mantle.