• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
that team RWBY teamwork though
that move that Blake pulled on Vine was especially delicious

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Man, I feel bad looking at the twitters of the new writers.

Some people dogging on them for baiting and calling for their firing (although that guy was the one making some real transphobic arguments about "May needing narrative reasoning to be trans")

But I think it's nice Eddy is taking into consideration about how to avoid "baiting" people

Oh FFS, people need to stop being salty over that their ship not being canon. You can be disappointed but to do stuff like that is just disgraceful

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Man, I feel bad looking at the twitters of the new writers.

Some people dogging on them for baiting and calling for their firing (although that guy was the one making some real transphobic arguments about "May needing narrative reasoning to be trans")

But I think it's nice Eddy is taking into consideration about how to avoid "baiting" people

Oh come on. "Waaah. The fictional relationship I wanted didn't happen. Time to call for people to lose their jobs over two fictional characters not being in love. Waah". I mean how immature and entitled are these people? They need to grow up and get a life.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh FFS, people need to stop being salty over that their ship not being canon. You can be disappointed but to do stuff like that is just disgraceful
Oh come on. "Waaah. The fictional relationship I wanted didn't happen. Time to call for people to lose their jobs over two fictional characters not being in love. Waah". I mean how immature and entitled are these people? They need to grow up and get a life.

I think I need to clarify the people mad about "baiting" are just lashing out at the writers, while people who don't understand some of the character motivations this episode are calling for their firing (although those people have a history of being extraordinarily shitty)

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I think I need to clarify the people mad about "baiting" are just lashing out at the writers, while people who don't understand some of the character motivations this episode are calling for their firing (although those people have a history of being extraordinarily shitty)
adam's death and the vic shit seem to have brought the dregs of this fandom out of the woodwork huh?

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Man, fandoms can be so toxic these days, everywhere I look, whether it's Star Wars, Smash Bros. or RWBY. Good thing I don't really pay attention to them.

Kyo

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have a problem with most of the episode. Still though...

Even the exchange on the aircraft I could buy up until the crash. The themes of trust and the consequences of losing it, etc., aren't lost on me either.

Still wasn't enough to really sell or justify the events after the plane crash. Using Robin as the spark that allowed the crash to happen was believable, but Qrow in particular knows dangerous Tyrian is firsthand. I expected him or Clover to float a ceasefire until that guy was under wraps (especially after he caused the plane crash and was unaccounted for when Qrow/Clover met again), not... any of what happened afterward.

And it isn't like the concept of one of both of them being caught up in Ironwood's decision to the point where they make bad decisions is a bad idea, they just never made it to the point where I thought either character was beyond that level of reason. We've seen how Qrow acts under immense duress, and ironically we didn't get to that level of expression until Clover actually was mortally wounded.

We're supposed to believe that these guys have formed a pretty decent rapport and are both quick-thinking, intelligent individuals. When Ironwood did his 'heel turn' we were given a lot of time to see the layers of his thinking peel back to reach his radical conclusion. We got a tiny bit of motivational exposition out of Ace that was consistent, essentially none for Qrow, and as a result the scene is just really out of place. And I'll repeat that the buildup was good up until the plane actually crashed.

Honestly speaking, when Qrow went along with Tyrian no questions asked, I was expecting him and Clover to secretly be in on it and tag team him at the end, because that was the only way I felt his actions at the time made any sense. That's how out of place the exchange and the conclusion felt to me by the end.

Just think this conclusion was a big misfire on the writer's part. It's an "unearned tragedy", or something like that.

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Oh my god, I think the writing in this episode was bad but you don't see me asking for their firing, FFS people

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Wow. So because they may not agree with writing decisions, they think it's okay to call for people's firing? Entitled, spoiled and crappy. Great combination.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Lashing out at a writer over a ship is pretty shitty still. The comment Rivas responded to at least seemed respectful

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I disliked "that" event, people outright demanding the writer to be fired is beyond moronic. I'm not going to lie, my initial gut reaction wasn't great either, and I still think that this is a writing stubble, but the whole volume isn't ruined or anything. Heck, except for this, I enjoyed this new season immensely, especially compared to previous seasons. I'm still very disappointed.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Even though Qrow just lost a close friend I don't think he's going to go on another downward spiral, at least not in the sense that he's going to become a raging drunk again. I think that his journey through volume 8 is going to be about learning to not blame himself for every bad thing that happens to him or his loved ones especially the things that are out of his control. Because while he has gotten a lot better about taking care of himself in Volume 7 he still hasn't gotten over his self blaming tendencies which are at the root of his problems.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Qrow teaming up with Tyrian is so contrived when he knows how dangerous he is

I like them ending up fighting eachother because the situation forced them to and i don't mind the idea Tyrian killing him while they're distracted

Qrow teaming up is dumb

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Qrow teaming up with Tyrian to fight Clover was dumb. Like, the dude almost succeeded in killing you volumes ago and now you're gonna work with him to take out the guy who actually is on your side? Like? The fuuuuuuuuuck? Hahahahahahahah.

The fight sequences were dope as hell, but goddamn that ending.

Hahaha. Hahahahahahahaha!

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Qrow teaming up with Tyrian to fight Clover was dumb. Like, the dude almost succeeded in killing you volumes ago and now you're gonna work with him to take out the guy who actually is on your side? Like? The fuuuuuuuuuck? Hahahahahahahah.

The fight sequences were dope as hell, but goddamn that ending.

Hahaha. Hahahahahahahaha!
There's absolutely no reason for him to team up with Tyrian he's a million times worse and more dangerous than basically having to get away from Ironwood again

It would have been better if Tyrian escaped at the end of the fight to kill Clover

Clover isn't that much better

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
it was more like Clover gave Qrow no choice but to fight him since even when Qrow swapped to Tyrian Clover still attacked him first

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely no reason for him to team up with Tyrian he's a million times worse and more dangerous than basically having to get away from Ironwood again

It would have been better if Tyrian escaped at the end of the fight to kill Clover

Why they didn't go with this I will never understand. Dude was free. He could've just hid in the shadows as Crow and Clover duked it out and waited for the opportune moment to get the kill shot. Same ending, without sacrificing Crow's intelligence.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say that I don't think that either Qrow or Clover were in their right heads that entire time, Clover was obviously extremely conflicted about trying to take Qrow in, it was obvious he didn't want to, but his loyalty to James took precedence above all. Qrow just had one of the few people he felt comfortable being around try to take him in, what bad luck huh? Which is to say that Qrow has never gotten over his problem with blaming himself for the misfortunes that happen to himself and others around him, and that isn't a good space for anyone to be in.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Got around to this late, but man was this better (dialogue aside, etc)! Best episode of the season. I was laughing along with the fights (in a good way this time).

Episode 12 Highlights:
ep121okkjg.gif

Weiss using the fog like a villain.
ep122svkb3.gif

Qrow and Tyrian team-up.

ep123g1k6a.gif

Blake catching a hammer to the chest.

ep1258jjsi.gif

Clover catching the blade to the back after Qrow watches on stoically.

ep126xjj4q.gif

Qrow's weak punch had me rolling.

My favorite:
ep127jjkmr.gif

Weiss coming in for the battle shutdown with Harriet.
The best part about this one was that the show edits focusing on the teamwork Blake and Yang execute before cutting to Ruby fighting alone before this bomb. I'm thinking "Oh, I guess Ruby's having her main character showdown solo. Okay, I guess, but it would be cool if..."-Wham. And Harriet flew like a ragdoll. Loved it.

The setup for leading to this episode's confrontations may have been poor, but the fight scenes are actually delivering between the introduction scene last episode and this one.

No worries, I'll be back for when talking circles recommence with the dialogue beats of a pre-teen Nick show for most of an episode. I actually enjoyed Episode 12 though. I've always given props to the show when warranted, however rarely, for fun fight scenes and non-fight scenes alike. People will selectively read what they want to.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got around to this late, but man was this better (dialogue aside, etc)! Best episode of the season. I was laughing along with the fights (in a good way this time).

Episode 12 Highlights:
ep121okkjg.gif

Weiss using the fog like a villain.
ep122svkb3.gif

Qrow and Tyrian team-up.

ep123g1k6a.gif

Blake catching a hammer to the chest.

ep1258jjsi.gif

Clover catching the blade to the back after Qrow watches on stoically.

ep126xjj4q.gif

Qrow's weak punch had me rolling.

My favorite:
ep127jjkmr.gif

Weiss coming in for the battle shutdown with Harriet.
The best part about this one was that the show edits focusing on the teamwork Blake and Yang execute before cutting to Ruby fighting alone before this bomb. I'm thinking "Oh, I guess Ruby's having her main character showdown solo. Okay, I guess, but it would be cool if..."-Wham. And Harriet flew like a ragdoll. Loved it.

The setup for leading to this episode's confrontations may have been poor, but the fight scenes are actually delivering between the introduction scene last episode and this one.

No worries, I'll be back for when talking circles recommence with the dialogue beats of a pre-teen Nick show for most of an episode. I actually enjoyed Episode 12 though. I've always given props to the show when warranted, however rarely, for fun fight scenes and non-fight scenes alike. People will selectively read what they want to.
What an amazing coincidences that the first episode I've ever heard you say anything good about just happens to be the most divisive yet with even people who like it having problems with it.

And you even still managed to squeeze in a backhanded insult while you were at it. Impressive.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What an amazing coincidences that the first episode I've ever heard you say anything good about just happens to be the most divisive yet with even people who like it having problems with it.

And you even still managed to squeeze in a backhanded insult while you were at it. Impressive.

Everyone has different tastes. Deal with it.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I love how people mistake "not liking what a character does" with "bad writing". Seen it all over the subreddit

Oct 25, 2017
I love how people mistake "not liking what a character does" with "bad writing". Seen it all over the subreddit

The whole thing reminds me of people saying StarLord's actions in Infinity War is bad writing... even though what he did is consistent with the character. Or when people don't like a character, they think it's bad writing. Or if people don't do the "logical" thing, it's bad writing.

It's the CinemaSins style of criticism and it kills my interest to discuss.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The whole thing reminds me of people saying StarLord's actions in Infinity War is bad writing... even though what he did is consistent with the character. Or when people don't like a character, they think it's bad writing. Or if people don't do the "logical" thing, it's bad writing.

It's the CinemaSins style of criticism and it kills my interest to discuss.
I honestly never seen such a large amount of people with such a toxic view of the show. It almost makes me wonder if it's due to the average age of the viewers or something else entirely.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
gonna post a hot take

Yang could probably take any of the ace ops 1 on 1 bar Marrow and Clover

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I know Volume 8 is probably gonna mostly take place in Atlas, but I hope volume 9 is another Volume 6 style one where they're headed towards a goal but they can stop and have smaller adventures on the way

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
gonna post a hot take

I wouldn't call that too controversial.

Yang is pretty combat-smart. Clover has the experience to match and then some for sure. Marrow's Semblance is rather powerful for a one-on-one, so seeing her work out of that would be interesting as well. However, I'd say Harriet would face a greater challenge than him. It wouldn't be the first time Yang has a had a duel with speed, but Harriet is on a level where it serves a general purpose in all of her moveset. Perhaps it's simply between a fight I'd be more interested in or not, but I could see Yang manuvering past either with the right setup.

Last edited:

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, have we ever seen Tyrian's Semblance?

I'm going to be it fits in right alongside Qrow and Clover's as a passive Semblance. Except instead of affecting something as vague as luck, it causes people around him (and maybe himself) to not think as straight as they should and more prone to making dumb decisions under pressure.

I mean hell, part of the way Tyrian got properly established as a threat in Volume 4 was by way of, of course, Ruby making a dumb decision that left Qrow open.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing I'm seeing on twitter that's driving me nuts is people trying to villainize RWBY in the most extreme way possible.

So many people try to frame them as being horrible for not listening to Ironwood.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The thing I'm seeing on twitter that's driving me nuts is people trying to villainize RWBY in the most extreme way possible.

So many people try to frame them as being horrible for not listening to Ironwood.

Also stupid how people tying to argue that them beating the AceOps is "dumb", "unrealistic" and "fuck logic" like come on, the trope about how the protagonist defeat the "superior" team is a thing that appears everywhere from anime to books to tv shows to cartoons, one can see that people saying that just want the characters to suffer

Edit: I bet if they were defeated they would cheer about how it's good writing, how they deserved it and shout "FINALLY" all the time, and you would have people that aren't even seeing the show say that "did rwby finally got good again?"

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
According to the Wiki if he touches someone it disrupts their Aura.

Is that actually properly confirmed information or just conjecture?

Because I saw that and the only thing in the way of evidence it had to back it up was that he was attacking someone when their aura went down.

An action of which, tends to result in characters' auras going down.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The "Ironwood is right" brigade is insane. How are they defending "Launch Atlas into space" lmao

gonna post a hot take

Honestly, I bet the ceiling for Yang right now is pretty insane now that she can control her semblance

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Is that actually properly confirmed information or just conjecture?

Because I saw that and the only thing in the way of evidence it had to back it up was that he was attacking someone when their aura went down.

An action of which, tends to result in characters' auras going down.
when he attacked that sheep faunus in the dark, you could literally see him cover his own hand in aura before using it to strip hers away with a handwave, before he started hitting her with a weapon

if that's not an aura-stripping ability I don't know what else it would be

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
[/QUOTE]

Eh, not sure about Elm as Elm stopped a giant Grimm alone, and I haven't seen Yang with a feat that can compare.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I really disliked about this episode.

Neo got punched by Oscar.

It was a running one with time to spare as well. I didn't like that one bit!

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly?

I think sexism is one of the reasons you see weird takes like that a lot.

The show is about a team of girls who are pretty opinionated. And you always see this contigent of people get so mad when they oppose a character like Ozpin, Ironwood, etc.

Like I think the best show of this problem is how people treat Blake.

People have this fucking weird hate boner for Blake ever since V4 because their headcannons of "Blake was actually a faunus assassin who killed people and was an orphan" got shattered and they all think she is a hypocrite because she came from a family who loves her and they show her having a big house. When Blake's problem is she hates herself because she was conditioned to hate herself because of Adam, and ran away from home because she believed in the cause and turned against her parents because Adam had groomed her into thinking he was right, and eventually began to hate herself and blame herself because of Adam's actions like a lot of abuse victims who begin to believe the reason the abuser is abusing them is their fault.

Blake ran away at the end of V3 because she hated herself and blamed herself.

And then you see people just completely miss this and have irrational hatred towards Blake wishing her harm, wanting Yang to beat her because she ran away, want her to die for slapping Sun because she is upset because she thinks she doesn't deserve friends and wants him to leave her alone. Like you see all these people getting excited at that Crunchyroll promo because "oh man, I can wait for Blake to die or get maimed" even though she has done nothing to cause disdain (unless you are part of the don't disobey Ironwood club) but people still fucking hate her and want her to be harmed.

But then you notice there is a really good overlap of these people who fucking hate Blake who complain about "Adam's wasted potential" like Adam was supposed to be this misunderstood revolutionary, and it's ok for him to murder people because he is a victim of racial abuse, and Blake and Yang are terrible people because they should have tried to redeem him, but it's not ok for Weiss to throw a racist in the trash because he could have died!

Honestly, I think the reason some people got excited after last weeks episode was because they though "Team RWBY was going to get punished, because the Ace Ops have a higher power level"

There just seem to be people mad that the show is about young people/girls telling older people off. It does remind me of people loosing their minds at some of the survivors of Parkland for speaking up or how you see people so mad at Gretta Thunberg.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Honestly?

I think sexism is one of the reasons you see weird takes like that a lot.

The show is about a team of girls who are pretty opinionated. And you always see this contigent of people get so mad when they oppose a character like Ozpin, Ironwood, etc.

Like I think the best show of this problem is how people treat Blake.

People have this fucking weird hate boner for Blake ever since V4 because their headcannons of "Blake was actually a faunus assassin who killed people and was an orphan" got shattered and they all think she is a hypocrite because she came from a family who loves her and they show her having a big house. When Blake's problem is she hates herself because she was conditioned to hate herself because of Adam, and ran away from home because she believed in the cause and turned against her parents because Adam had groomed her into thinking he was right, and eventually began to hate herself and blame herself because of Adam's actions like a lot of abuse victims who begin to believe the reason the abuser is abusing them is their fault.

Blake ran away at the end of V3 because she hated herself and blamed herself.

And then you see people just completely miss this and have irrational hatred towards Blake wishing her harm, wanting Yang to beat her because she ran away, want her to die for slapping Sun because she is upset because she thinks she doesn't deserve friends and wants him to leave her alone. Like you see all these people getting excited at that Crunchyroll promo because "oh man, I can wait for Blake to die or get maimed" even though she has done nothing to cause disdain (unless you are part of the don't disobey Ironwood club) but people still fucking hate her and want her to be harmed.

But then you notice there is a really good overlap of these people who fucking hate Blake who complain about "Adam's wasted potential" like Adam was supposed to be this misunderstood revolutionary, and it's ok for him to murder people because he is a victim of racial abuse, and Blake and Yang are terrible people because they should have tried to redeem him, but it's not ok for Weiss to throw a racist in the trash because he could have died!

Honestly, I think the reason some people got excited after last weeks episode was because they though "Team RWBY was going to get punished, because the Ace Ops have a higher power level"

There just seem to be people mad that the show is about young people/girls telling older people off. It does remind me of people loosing their minds at some of the survivors of Parkland for speaking up or how you see people so mad at Gretta Thunberg.

Question. Is "grooming" really the right the word to use here? Isn't grooming sexual in nature and involve very young children and child predators/adults?

As for the rest of your take. Yeah, sexism is a HUGE factor probably in most cases. I mean just check Adel Aka out for example or some users on the RWBY Critic subreddit.