• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Question. Is "grooming" really the right the word to use here? Isn't grooming sexual in nature and involve very young children and child predators/adults?

As for the rest of your take. Yeah, sexism is a HUGE factor probably in most cases. I mean just check Adel Aka out for example or some users on the RWBY Critic subreddit.

Grooming is when someone builds a relationship, trust and emotional connection with a child or young person so they can manipulate, exploit and abuse them.

The abuse doesn't need to be sexual in the case of grooming.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Grooming is when someone builds a relationship, trust and emotional connection with a child or young person so they can manipulate, exploit and abuse them.

The abuse doesn't need to be sexual in the case of grooming.

Oh okay. One more question about Blake and Adam's relationship. Did he intend to manipulate her from the start or did he genuinely care at first but then became abusive?

On a side note we can now we can also say for sure Cinder definitely groomed Emerald then.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh okay. One more question about Blake and Adam's relationship. Did he intend to manipulate her from the start or did he genuinely care at first but then became abusive?

On a side note we can now we can also say for sure Cinder definitely groomed Emerald then.

The comic and the short portray Adam as someone who did care about Blake, but he groomed her so she wouldn't leave him or would place culpability of his actions onto something else

And yes, I think everyone in this thread is in agreement Emerald and Cinder is a toxic relationship

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
The comic and the short portray Adam as someone who did care about Blake, but he groomed her so she wouldn't leave him or would place culpability of his actions onto something else

And yes, I think everyone in this thread is in agreement Emerald and Cinder is a toxic relationship

So grooming can occur in an established relationship, then? If you say have been with someone for like a year and you started off in a mutual happy relationship, your partner can groom you later in the relationship?

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Honestly?

I think sexism is one of the reasons you see weird takes like that a lot.

The show is about a team of girls who are pretty opinionated. And you always see this contigent of people get so mad when they oppose a character like Ozpin, Ironwood, etc.

Like I think the best show of this problem is how people treat Blake.

People have this fucking weird hate boner for Blake ever since V4 because their headcannons of "Blake was actually a faunus assassin who killed people and was an orphan" got shattered and they all think she is a hypocrite because she came from a family who loves her and they show her having a big house. When Blake's problem is she hates herself because she was conditioned to hate herself because of Adam, and ran away from home because she believed in the cause and turned against her parents because Adam had groomed her into thinking he was right, and eventually began to hate herself and blame herself because of Adam's actions like a lot of abuse victims who begin to believe the reason the abuser is abusing them is their fault.

Blake ran away at the end of V3 because she hated herself and blamed herself.

And then you see people just completely miss this and have irrational hatred towards Blake wishing her harm, wanting Yang to beat her because she ran away, want her to die for slapping Sun because she is upset because she thinks she doesn't deserve friends and wants him to leave her alone. Like you see all these people getting excited at that Crunchyroll promo because "oh man, I can wait for Blake to die or get maimed" even though she has done nothing to cause disdain (unless you are part of the don't disobey Ironwood club) but people still fucking hate her and want her to be harmed.

But then you notice there is a really good overlap of these people who fucking hate Blake who complain about "Adam's wasted potential" like Adam was supposed to be this misunderstood revolutionary, and it's ok for him to murder people because he is a victim of racial abuse, and Blake and Yang are terrible people because they should have tried to redeem him, but it's not ok for Weiss to throw a racist in the trash because he could have died!

Honestly, I think the reason some people got excited after last weeks episode was because they though "Team RWBY was going to get punished, because the Ace Ops have a higher power level"

There just seem to be people mad that the show is about young people/girls telling older people off. It does remind me of people loosing their minds at some of the survivors of Parkland for speaking up or how you see people so mad at Gretta Thunberg.
Of course it's sexism, is the same reason you saw people complain about how Captain Marvel was a "brute" because she punched a guy making passes at her and then stole his bike somehow ignoring that she was part of the bad guys at the beginning

if Iron Man or Thor were released today, you won't see them complain about how Tony was a war criminal or how Thor was an asshole who punched SHIELD agents in order to recover his hammer which he lost because he was a bloodthirsty brute

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Yang could probably take any of the ace ops 1 on 1 bar Marrow and Clover

Eh, not sure about Elm as Elm stopped a giant Grimm alone, and I haven't seen Yang with a feat that can compare.
Elm is really strong but she's also not that fast or agile. Yang took one solid hit from her but that's about all she got. Her Semblance is also not very good against someone like Yang who is clever enough to make it useless by making the ground unstable. Plus Yang's semblance basically makes Elm's own strength a Liability for her.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I think my favorite stupid RWBY hot take is Blake and Yang being bad people because they 'murdered Adam instead of just stopping him'. Nevermind the fact that they gave the asshole every opportunity to fuck off.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I think my favorite stupid RWBY hot take is Blake and Yang being bad people because they 'murdered Adam instead of just stopping him'. Nevermind the fact that they gave the asshole every opportunity to fuck off.

And yet for this people, it's okay for Adam to try and kill Blake or blow up innocent people on a train. I wonder why?.....But people like this are why you can never have a decent discussion on Adam at all.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Ruby and Weiss should take Marrow with them he'd be really useful against Cinder

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Dee and Dudley appear at the start of volume 6: Groose's theme plays in my head

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
This and yet Adam gets a free pass for his shit? Like????

Grooming can occur to people with similar ages right? I ask cuz some seem to think Adam is a pedo but I don't think so as based on the comic, no way RT would depict a minor being intimate with an adult without it controversy and I feel like Miles and others would have mentioned it.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
This and yet Adam gets a free pass for his shit? Like????

Grooming can occur to people with similar ages right? I ask cuz some seem to think Adam is a pedo but I don't think so as based on the comic, no way RT would depict a minor being intimate with an adult without it controversy and I feel like Miles and others would have mentioned it.
i always assumed he was only a year or two older

edit: apparently according to Arryn and Barb at his time of death he would be in his early to mid 20s, they would have him pegged as about 23

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
i always assumed he was only a year or two older

edit: apparently according to Arryn and Barb at his time of death he would be in his early to mid 20s, they would have him pegged as about 23
That was their guess though, so maybe not canon. , I think the only reason some people want Adam to be a pedo is just to give Blake more angst or something as I feel like they don't understand the implications of what that means as I saw someone say something like "even if he's 2 years older than her, he's still going after a child".

Last edited:

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
wonder if we're gonna get a Qrow vs Ironwood fight, though James ain't really in the condition to fight right now

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, why does Qrow blame Ironwood for this?
because James surrounded himself with a bunch of yes men that will do anything he says no matter what they actually think about his orders? Ironwood says he wants loyalty but his definition of loyalty is people who will listen to him no matter what. Not a good thing

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Eddy's reddit account gives more of his perspective on the "controversy"

I'm still somewhat disappointed by this, but compared to Certain Other Animated Webseries, I really appreciate the acknowledgement of peoples' feelings, as well as things they've done to address it in the past..

Eddie seems like a good, involved (as much as he can be) staff member.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I had stopped at volume 5,thinking that 6 would be the finale, but I see they plan further seasons too. I'll wait for series to finish for good

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
????

I thought the end goal was 9 volumes. That's 3 more years, at the most.
From what I hear Monty wrote 14 volumes worth of story, and Atlas is confirmed to be through volume 8, and I doubt we'll not have at least one volume set in Vacuo plus we still need to go back to Beacon at one point. I'd guess that volume 12 is the earliest they could properly close it at the point of the story they're at currently.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Either way I hope Tyrian gets the Cioccolata Treatment before all this is over in however many Volumes.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
you know what I think would be good? If they did like a series of short skits like RWBY chibi, though not necessarily all comedic, set during the weeks that they spent in atlas that weren't shown on screen

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know what would be better. The real RWBY Chibi coming back.
tenor.gif

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully this volume ends with a Yang

Yang vs Neo round 2 let's go

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
damn the whale from pinocchio got bigger...and learned to fly

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Winter survived! Thank goooooooood! Wished Weiss could've at least hugged her (or hand on the shoulder, since Winter was injured) or something like that before she dipped out along with the rest of the gang. I need my sisterly bonds!

Ironwood going off the deep end completely was pretty awesome to see. When he shot Oscar I thought he legit killed him, and I unabashedly popped off in joy. LOL

Neo making a mockery of the B-team was aces (stay free Ren), the fight between Winter/Penny vs Cinder was aces, Salem showing up on a big ass whale was aces.

Though no post credit stinger? Booooooooooo!

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Dear Ironwood: You are going to die next volume and you have signed your death warrant. Salem is going to murder you and now you have ruined any change of your former allies forgiving you and making peace with you. I hope you are happy.