• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Geist

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here watched Doctor Sleep yet? Interestingly enough, I noticed some minor RWBY references in the film, to the point where it becomes part of the character/plot in a way.

Spoilers for the movie:

Abra's room is adorned with RWBY posters, and on her nightstand features an Emerald Sustrai figurine. The camera pans over to and lingers on this figure in one scene. Later, Abra demonstrates her power to create illusions with her shining ability, and during one of these sequences, she disguises herself with a bob cut and colored hair styled similarly to Emerald to deceive the main villain.
Is it sad that I just saw this entirely because you mentioned RWBY references?

It was surprisingly ok, I don't regret it.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah, he's flatter than cardboard. On that note, there does seem to be some fans, mainly on twitter who think the abuse was like that as they say he was a pedo. It's doubtful seeing as there is no way RT would depict that in a comic or promote a character with merchandise in that way with that can of worms. As well, these people were saying things even if he's like 2 years older than Blake, he's still going after a kid or something, so it seems like those saying it are more interested in just giving Blake more angst for their fanfics than the implications that go with that

Also, I have hope anime wouldn't be depraved enough to have sexualized shots of Blake in her fight with her abuser
Never put anything past anime.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
A bit sad there wasn't a new clothes/weapons/looks reactions part but eh.

Ace Ops are cool. Quite fond of Elm, Harriet and Marrow so far. Vine's semblance weirds me out but it's neat. Clover also is cool but I'm not sure if I trust him...

Wonder what's up with Ruby's semblance...

Obligatory bees good comment but Qrow??? Is what I think is happening actually happening???

Oct 25, 2017
A bit sad there wasn't a new clothes/weapons/looks reactions part but eh.

Ace Ops are cool. Quite fond of Elm, Harriet and Marrow so far. Vine's semblance weirds me out but it's neat. Clover also is cool but I'm not sure if I trust him...

Wonder what's up with Ruby's semblance...

Obligatory bees good comment but Qrow??? Is what I think is happening actually happening???

I don't think they are setting up for Qrow and Clover to be a thing. I think it's Qrow reacting to the fact Clover literally has the opposite semblance. Might be jealousy

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This episode hit all the right notes for me. Blushing bees gives me life.

tenor.gif

But holy shit at Crow x Clover? Are they really gonna pull the trigger?!

tenor.gif

DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
WELL THEN.

Looks like Shonen RWBY is finally back after three years of absence.

Nice to see Semblances actually mattering again after their slow fade into irrelevance in Volume 4.

Also

If I was paying attention to things right, looks like Tyrian just set up Mantle to erupt into wide-scale riots? I assume that was the Opposition Leader guy he murdered, right?

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
WELL THEN.

Nice to see Semblances actually mattering again after their slow fade into irrelevance in Volume 4.

Also

If I was paying attention to things right, looks like Tyrian just set up Mantle to erupt into wide-scale riots? I assume that was the Opposition Leader guy he murdered, right?

Isn't Robyn the leader of the opposition?

Oct 25, 2017
WELL THEN.

Also

No, he murdered a follower of the opposition leader. I think it's going to get some coverage considering the guy was a vocal supporter of Robin Hyll and got arrested before Tyrian killed him

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So Tyrian seems to be murdering supporters of Robyn huh, good way to cause riots, especially since dude JUST got arrested.

Also I got a huge grin on my face because LANDING STRATEGIES ARE BACK BABY

the shipping community probably loved this episode

That Qrow and Clover scene made me go "Oh no they're gonna run with this

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
My favorite part was Ruby getting called out on her hypocrisy by Oscar. That was sorely needed. Vilifying Ozpin for something you turn around and do a volume later ain't it.

Other than that......I kinda still don't like the new designs, especially Yang's. The new Ops team is cool!

Last edited:

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fast woman with power armor literally shoryukens a ghost

She hit all the right boxes.

Her and Marrow are my favorites of that group. I like the idea of Clover, but his design is weird.

Yes! That scene was so cool! Her VA is doing an incredible job too.

Out of the Ace Ops my favorites are Harriet and Elm. Harriet because she's reeks of cool, and Elm because she comes off as a lovable goof.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'd recommend using spoiler boxes since people don't have first or VRV

Being fair, Ruby never chastized Ozpin for lying to them. It was Yang and Qrow. And thankfully it was Yang who raised problems with what Ruby did

It was Ruby who ultimately asked Jinn straight up to reveal what Ozpin was hiding from them. So to me, that act shows a major judgement of mistrust. I do hope Ruby is considering carefully when it comes to truth versus lies.

I did like that Yang at least brought up the issue too, that was good.

Oct 25, 2017

Is this another Adam post?

...sigh

Read through the whole thing, and some of the points are not great.

RWBY started as a show meant for younger people. This has been stated as being a direct contrast to RvB where the target audience at the start would be 12-14 and the show would grow up with them. Of course at the beginning racism is focused on the individual. And straight up the only reason Faunus and the plotline even exist is because Monty was adamant about having a cat girl. And the writers said that they did bite off more than they could chew, especially considering the fact the Trump election came and brought these issues in real life into the forefront.

That's the only thing I can find as an understandable point of view because in part she is right about why this plotline exists in the firstplace and why it's easy to criticize now. They bit off more than they could chew, and ultimately real world events made those flaws hard to hide.

But her takes on "reverse racism" and "antifa" are real bad.

As minority, a white woman telling me about "justifying racism" is really off putting. Does she actually think people will accept responsibility for their prejudice? In an ideal world, people would realize having prejudice is wrong, but the reality is people love grouping in generalizations. Complacency speaks volumes, and in many cases for victims of racism it is because many of them feel powerless to do anything. That's why extremists become generalized and prejudice spreads. Blake even says in her speech she doesn't have all the answers, but they shouldn't let Adam speak for all of them.

Her point about how "racist characters are caricatures" but then saying "they shouldn't receive depth to make them seem like real people" is jarring.

I ain't bothering with the Adam segment because I am so fucking tired talking about him, and I wish you'd stop constantly bringing him with whatever chance you get.

Honestly, the whole issue this volume where people microanalyzed and had fucking dumb takes about the "Weiss throws a racist in the trash" makes me believe that people straight up can't actually deal with racism when it's in the show. She also has the take of "Weiss being a white savior" which is nonsensical because all Weiss did was stand up for a friend. Weiss isn't going to single handedly save the Faunus.

Last edited:

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

...sigh

Honestly, the whole issue this volume where people microanalyzed and had fucking dumb takes about the "Weiss throws a racist in the trash" makes me believe that people straight up can't actually deal with racism when it's in the show. She also has the take of "Weiss being a white savior" which is nonsensical because all Weiss did was stand up for a friend. Weiss isn't going to single handedly save the Faunus.

I figured the link would be some dumb ass hot take (which surprise-surprise, talks about Adam), thank you for sparing me from having to read it.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

...sigh

Read through the whole thing, and some of the points are not great.

RWBY started as a show meant for younger people. This has been stated as being a direct contrast to RvB where the target audience at the start would be 12-14 and the show would grow up with them. Of course at the beginning racism is focused on the individual. And straight up the only reason Faunus and the plotline even exist is because Monty was adamant about having a cat girl. And the writers said that they did bite off more than they could chew, especially considering the fact the Trump election came and brought these issues in real life into the forefront.

That's the only thing I can find as an understandable point of view because in part she is right about why this plotline exists in the firstplace and why it's easy to criticize now. They bit off more than they could chew, and ultimately real world events made those flaws hard to hide.

But her takes on "reverse racism" and "antifa" are real bad.

As minority, a white woman telling me about "justifying racism" is really off putting. Does she actually think people will accept responsibility for their prejudice? In an ideal world, people would realize having prejudice is wrong, but the reality is people love grouping in generalizations. Complacency speaks volumes, and in many cases for victims of racism it is because many of them feel powerless to do anything. That's why extremists become generalized and prejudice spreads. Blake even says in her speech she doesn't have all the answers, but they shouldn't let Adam speak for all of them.

Her point about how "racist characters are caricatures" but then saying "they shouldn't receive depth to make them seem like real people" is jarring.

I ain't bothering with the Adam segment because I am so fucking tired talking about him, and I wish you'd stop constantly bringing him with whatever chance you get.

This was written before volume 7 though
I'm a minority as well and her point of how the people fighting racism are shown to be purely bad unlike the racists was a good one to me such as when we see Sienna and Cordovin

Your other points are valid though

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I figured the link would be some dumb ass hot take (which surprise-surprise, talks about Adam), thank you for sparing me from having to read it.

Having read the article it really isn't. Adam is only one small section and the author has previously written how they like how Adam was handled and his role as Blake and Yang's enemy which was mentioned in the article itself. The last part in bold by TheChungusAmongUs is kind of a straw man as this was written before vol 7 and didn't say Weiss is a white saviour but expressed concern that she could be construed as one in vol 7 when they discuss the Faunus issue. It's not one of those idiotic takes who think Weiss was wrong for throwing the guy in the trash.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I kinda hope that we don't get the traitor plotline with the Ace Ops but i doubt that will happen. The OP already hinted at it

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The AceOps are enough of crutch for Team RWBYJNROQ that I don't think they'll be alive by the star of volume 9.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Anyone else not feeling the Ace Ops?I dunno, just am really..eh to them. Maybe cuz i think RWBY has already too many characters

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else not feeling the Ace Ops?I dunno, just am really..eh to them. Maybe cuz i think RWBY has already too many characters

It's a new arc.

A lot of the characters from previous arcs have been pushed to the background. Like Sun, Ilia, Neptune, Ghira, Kali, etc.

Only thing is how they plan on balancing them. Hero Aca also has tons of characters, but most of Class 1-A doesn't really matter until they interact with Deku.