• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
It's a new arc.

A lot of the characters from previous arcs have been pushed to the background. Like Sun, Ilia, Neptune, Ghira, Kali, etc.

Only thing is how they plan on balancing them. Hero Aca also has tons of characters, but most of Class 1-A doesn't really matter until they interact with Deku.
I mean, do you read the manga? They have time to shine at certain places?
But fair enough, but now I'm sad ma boi Sun won't appear anytime soon

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Surprise. An episode that wasn't boring as bricks finally. Credit where credit's due.

RWBY's tone like this is always where it does best. I hope they don't find a way to underestimate the Ace team to put RWBY on a pedestal...

It's going to happen, isn't it?

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Surprise. An episode that wasn't boring as bricks finally. Credit where credit's due.

RWBY's tone like this is always where it does best. I hope they don't find a way to underestimate the Ace team to put RWBY on a pedestal...

It's going to happen, isn't it?

I hope not, it would be refreshing to have an established group of do-gooders outside of the main cast who are honestly good people, and not the common trope of using their hero persona as a facade to hide their true evil nature.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Awesome.

They added so much RWBY music to 2.0.

EJ3sxzZWoAEMrYW

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at the Rwby tracks. Haven't played the game in ages but damn am I tempted...

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Can i ask a question, what do you think of the RWBY Reveiwer Community?, your Fatman, your Floof, your Media, Your MurderofBirds,etc

Oct 25, 2017
Can i ask a question, what do you think of the RWBY Reveiwer Community?, your Fatman, your Floof, your Media, Your MurderofBirds,etc

I think it's pretty trash in general

RWBY is an easy show to criticize because of the relative lack of experience the crew had when it started, but I notice a lot of the youtube critics engage in a lot of bad faith criticism and mostly do it to boost their own egos/grift to make easy youtube money by going "RWBY bad" than actually offer something that is tangibly worth while let alone feasible to help improve the show.

Murder seems like a nice guy, but I think he is a bit of a fence sitter since he keeps saying "not to harass and insult the people who work on the show" but actively works with and has content on his channel of people who actively engage in that behaviour

I used to like eruptionfang, but he went off the deep edge after Adam died.

There are probably some good lesser known RWBY critical channels that are capable of criticizing the show with out stroking their own egos, but YouTubes algorithm instead keeps pushing disgusting and reprehensible people like Adel Aka.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I think it's pretty trash in general

RWBY is an easy show to criticize because of the relative lack of experience the crew had when it started, but I notice a lot of the youtube critics engage in a lot of bad faith criticism and mostly do it to boost their own egos/grift to make easy youtube money by going "RWBY bad" than actually offer something that is tangibly worth while let alone feasible to help improve the show.

Murder seems like a nice guy, but I think he is a bit of a fence sitter since he keeps saying "not to harass and insult the people who work on the show" but actively works with and has content on his channel of people who actively engage in that behaviour

I used to like eruptionfang, but he went off the deep edge after Adam died.

There are probably some good lesser known RWBY critical channels that are capable of criticizing the show with out stroking their own egos, but YouTubes algorithm instead keeps pushing disgusting and reprehensible people like Adel Aka.

I had to stop watching a few anime and animation critics for these reasons.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Actually on the subject of the Ace Ops, I think there inclusion was actually vitally needed for the Atlas arc.

It is true that RWBY has always had a problem with introducing to many characters, but one of the biggest issues the Mistral arc ran into was actually the opposite.

There flat out weren't enough characters in Mistral to sell it as being as important as it was. Leo being the only major new character and having zero other Mistrali Huntsman made the Kingdom feel insanely small, which led to the Battle of Haven being what amounted to a slap fight in the Entrance Hall between a bunch of characters with little actual connection to the place in any capacity.

With the Aceops/Robyn/Pennies dad/ being introduced now, plus knowing that the Atlas arc is going to be multiple volumes and V8 in particular is gonna be a long one, the size of the cast is vastly more appropriate for the stakes there trying to portray.

Also the Ace-ops are totally going to be opponents eventually, but it'll be cause there loyal to Ironwood and eventually the relationship between him and the protags is gonna break down. Not cause there all secretly evil.

I would bet on one, probably Clover actually being traitor. The rest will simply be doing there job

Oct 25, 2017
Actually on the subject of the Ace Ops, I think there inclusion was actually vitally needed for the Atlas arc.

It is true that RWBY has always had a problem with introducing to many characters, but one of the biggest issues the Mistral arc ran into was actually the opposite.

There flat out weren't enough characters in Mistral to sell it as being as important as it was. Leo being the only major new character and having zero other Mistrali Huntsman made the Kingdom feel insanely small, which led to the Battle of Haven being what amounted to a slap fight in the Entrance Hall between a bunch of characters with little actual connection to the place in any capacity.

With the Aceops/Robyn/Pennies dad/ being introduced now, plus knowing that the Atlas arc is going to be multiple volumes and V8 in particular is gonna be a long one, the size of the cast is vastly more appropriate for the stakes there trying to portray.

Also the Ace-ops are totally going to be opponents eventually, but it'll be cause there loyal to Ironwood and eventually the relationship between him and the protags is gonna break down. Not cause there all secretly evil.

I would bet on one, probably Clover actually being traitor. The rest will simply be doing there job

I agree.

Also the problem with the show having so many characters initially is it didn't allow the mains to get the attention they needed, but now we've been with these characters for 3-6 years now.

Oct 25, 2017
Something I kinda want to ask since ERA is probably the best place to do it, but what is considered "queer baiting"?

Because with RWBY I've seen the word thrown around a lot. There was apparently a giant shitstorm between V4 and V5 because Blake's voice actress said Bumblebee was just a fun song in the V4 soundtrack and people started accusing the company of queerbaiting.

Even though that's in the past, I've seen people throwing the word around the word in regards to this idea Nora is transgendered because her V7 outfit has the trans flag colors and the concept artist liked some tweets promoting the idea (because she is LGBT)and people accused RT of baiting trans people

And now with Clover and Qrow, I'm seeing people throw that accusations again because the RWBY Twitter account just reposted a still image from the 3rd episode and I am seeing people saying "RT better not be queerbaiting"

And I am just confused. I feel people are reading way to much into Noras outfit and people are wearing their shipper goggles with Qrow and Clover.Like we didn't see a lot of interaction between the two and people are already mad at the idea of Qrow being gay... when the intent of the scene read completely different to me.

I dunno, if they make Qrow gay they draw ire from *that* crowd and if they don't they apparently queerbaited the LGBT community

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
First, it's transgender, there's no past tense.

Queerbaiting to me is like teasing a character is gay/bi/etc. and either never confirming it, going against the teasing, or doing something awful
looking at you Voltron and Dragon Prince

I thought it was kinda funny that her clothes were the trans flag colours and I had a good laugh with friends about it when her new design was revealed. I don't think it's queerbaiting though, since they haven't hinted or teased at it at all.

In terms of Qrow potentially liking men, I believe that this show could use some mlm (men loving men) representation, since all it has so far is Scarlett and that's it (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). On the other hand we already have Ilia, Coco, Saphron and Terra and Blake and Yang (presumably) in terms of wlw. I personally don't see the Qrow stuff as queerbaiting though since it's been a hug and a look, but it would be nice if it happened...

Oct 25, 2017
First, it's transgender, there's no past tense.

Queerbaiting to me is like teasing a character is gay/bi/etc. and either never confirming it, going against the teasing, or doing something awful
looking at you Voltron and Dragon Prince

I thought it was kinda funny that her clothes were the trans flag colours and I had a good laugh with friends about it when her new design was revealed. I don't think it's queerbaiting though, since they haven't hinted or teased at it at all.

In terms of Qrow potentially liking men, I believe that this show could use some mlm (men loving men) representation, since all it has so far is Scarlett and that's it (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). On the other hand we already have Ilia, Coco, Saphron and Terra and Blake and Yang (presumably) in terms of wlw. I personally don't see the Qrow stuff as queerbaiting though since it's been a hug and a look, but it would be nice if it happened...

Apologies if "transgendered" is considered offensive.

I genuinely didn't know if it was.

The only "hinting" was the concept artist Erin Winn liked some Nora is trans tweets, but she did that probably because she is a member of the LGBT. Which is why I asked can that even be considered if one person in the production likes a couple of fan theories

I agree RWBY needs more gay male rep since Scarlet is literally the only one. I don't mind the idea of Qrow and Clover, but I am weary of the "damned if they do" where that toxic aspect of this fanbase will lash out if it happens or the "damned if they don't" where they are seemingly already being called out for queerbaiting when all they did was a social media account took a still from the episode and posted it.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019

Eh, seems overall sketchy. I mean this post was upvoted on the "RWBY Critic" subreddit which generally post stuff from reviewers and shares their sentiments: https://www.reddit.com/r/RWBYcritics/comments/dzgww7/why_blake_is_just_as_bad_as_adam/

There are some I like. MurderofBirds seems nice. And Vexed Viewer is okay. I don't agree with all his views, but he did make a good point about RWBY lacking main dark-skinned characters a while back.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, seems overall sketchy. I mean this post was upvoted on the "RWBY Critic" subreddit which generally post stuff from reviewers and shares their sentiments: https://www.reddit.com/r/RWBYcritics/comments/dzgww7/why_blake_is_just_as_bad_as_adam/

There are some I like. MurderofBirds seems nice. And Vexed Viewer is okay. I don't agree with all his views, but he did make a good point about RWBY lacking main dark-skinned characters a while back.

That subreddit is the definition of "sketch"

I lurk the normal RWBY subreddit, but I don't really engage with it because a lot of it feels shipping oriented, but critical discussion happens quite a bit (especially during the inbetween V5 and V6)

Problem is that the "critic" sub has a lot of people who think the "main subreddit" can't take criticism because their criticism is usually shit takes like the one you linked. Like I said in my reply, a lot of the youtuber criticism I see is incredibly disengenous or they make mountains out of molehills all while hurling insults and vitriol at the people who work on the show.

Vexed is pretty bad in this regard. He constantly insults the writers, tries to portray them as stupid. His twitter (which is real bad) kinda shows how much of an asshat he is. His entire base solely seems to follow him because they want him to insult the people who work on the show. Also he makes some really bad takes like trying to say "Yang has no abandonment issues" because he wikipedia'd abandonment issues and claims he skipped the scene where Tai and Yang talk about Raven who is the cause of most of Yang's abandonment issues, tries to imply he knows the characters better than the voice actresses, thinks Yang should beat Blake for leaving and no one should forgive her, etc.

And I am going to chalk the whole diversity thing based on the fact Vale is based on Europe, Mistral on Asia and Atlas on America. That's why with the Ace Ops 3/5 are people of color.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Something I kinda want to ask since ERA is probably the best place to do it, but what is considered "queer baiting"?

Because with RWBY I've seen the word thrown around a lot. There was apparently a giant shitstorm between V4 and V5 because Blake's voice actress said Bumblebee was just a fun song in the V4 soundtrack and people started accusing the company of queerbaiting.

Even though that's in the past, I've seen people throwing the word around the word in regards to this idea Nora is transgendered because her V7 outfit has the trans flag colors and the concept artist liked some tweets promoting the idea (because she is LGBT)and people accused RT of baiting trans people

And now with Clover and Qrow, I'm seeing people throw that accusations again because the RWBY Twitter account just reposted a still image from the 3rd episode and I am seeing people saying "RT better not be queerbaiting"

And I am just confused. I feel people are reading way to much into Noras outfit and people are wearing their shipper goggles with Qrow and Clover.Like we didn't see a lot of interaction between the two and people are already mad at the idea of Qrow being gay... when the intent of the scene read completely different to me.

I dunno, if they make Qrow gay they draw ire from *that* crowd and if they don't they apparently queerbaited the LGBT community
It's the RWBY fandom, anything is shipping.I wouldn't read too much into it

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Between Qrow's reunion/hug with Ironwood and that moment with Clover, my girlfriend and I sure are thinking he ain't straight. Honestly, my girlfriend and I will feel baited if Blake/Yang doesn't go anywhere after Vol. 6's climax.

I am very perplexed about Nora's new outfit incorporating the trans pride colors but wouldn't consider it bait. Could be the designer/team are trying to show support for the trans community and/or hints of Nora being trans. Also it could just be a big coincidence.

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Pretty sure it's pure coincidence.

Nora's always had that color scheme, you just don't notice because the blue was much less pronounced.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it's pure coincidence.

Nora's always had that color scheme, you just don't notice because the blue was much less pronounced.

Her Beacon costume always had those colors, then her Mistral costume dropped the blue, which came back in her Atlas costume. I think people are noticing because LGBT flags beyond the standard rainbow Pride flag have only really hit twitter culture in the last couple of years.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't dudes hug and have emotional moments without it being automatically shipped by people?

Oct 25, 2017
Ruby and Susanoo's interaction is pretty funny

Ruby: Your armor is really cool. You have a cute tail. Can I try it on?

Susanoo: I admire your ambition! To put this armor on you must be prepared to die a thousand deaths (and other edgy shit)

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Oooooooh man

Watts having some connection to the Schnee family was something I feel like I should have expected but took me completely off guard.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Gasp. An elite team that actually acts and fights that way and isn't jobbed immediately afterwards. Sorry, I just feel like this is so refreshing to see in fiction. My shipping goggles also picked up something with Clover/Qrow. I'm not really bother with it since the series has handled it better than most.

I can't help but chuckle about just how distant the goal of being Huntsman after shit hits the fan. But it's a good milestone regardless.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Anyone else think that Cinder/Neo won't be important this volume and the main antagionsts will be Watts,Tyrian and Jacques. Maybe Whitley depending on what they do with him

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4

This was an enjoyable downtime episode

They have finally started dripfeeding what happened to Summer. Much more interesting that her death is not Ozpin related, but it does make me wonder what she was doing if it wasn't related to Ozpin

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think Whitley eventually defects to his sisters's side of the family schism. the arc for Jacques seems to be alienating literally everyone in his pursuit of power

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I called it.

Jacques and Whitley are the Weakest Links in Atlas's security. Think I predicted that back during Volume 5. That they'd betray Atlas and side with Salem for their own personal greed.

Oct 27, 2017
London
I am so pleased that RWBY episodes are getting consistently longer. I've thought for a long time that short episode length was really hurting the show.